Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

wow yeah that sounds p bad, thanks

e: :synpa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Kwyndig posted:

Yeah one thing to remember about their former Job quest workflow is that they're assigned to different people each expansion, usually. They're totally covering for the PLD HW quest guy so fans won't burn him in effigy outside the SE offices though.

yoshi-p telling the writer hey kid you hosed up but we'll get you outta here in one piece

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Disco is not dead! Disco is LIFE!

I found whm Heavensward quests fine, but a lot of that was the whole taint thing being really funny

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Mainwaring posted:

I found whm Heavensward quests fine, but a lot of that was the whole taint thing being really funny

I just finished this plotline last night and the final battle has a mechanical twist I haven't seen before, so that was neat. Other than that though... eh I just had no attachment to the plot and didn't care about it outside of unlocking new abilities.

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

Runa posted:

yoshi-p telling the writer hey kid you hosed up but we'll get you outta here in one piece

lmao i can see it

but seriously it's so far below the quality of like... everything else I wouldn't be surprised if there's a story behind it, But hey at least I remember it if only because it's baffling? I had to think for a bit to even remember what the HW WHM was since the taints all kinda blur together

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

that's just how mosaic censorship works

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Using this opportunity to once again remind everyone that WAR 60-70 is the best job quest line in the entire game.

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

DRK and WAR. Big jobs with big, hard weapons and the power of Love. PLD and GNB, tiny flaccid weapons and stories about ??? Get it together, GNB/PLD

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Runa posted:

that's just how mosaic censorship works

lol

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

GloomMouse posted:

DRK and WAR. Big jobs with big, hard weapons and the power of Love. PLD and GNB, tiny flaccid weapons and stories about ??? Get it together, GNB/PLD

imagine devoting yourself to a monarchist authority. lol. lmao

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Gunbreaker is a story about having a sword that’s also a gun.

and also some lion guy or something i guess

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

girl dick energy posted:

Gunbreaker is a story about having a sword that’s also a gun.

and also some lion guy or something i guess

It's a sword that makes explosions and breaks guns. The swords that are guns are a copycat (haha) Garlean perversion not true lion guy bushido.

You are The Last Gunbreaker, sole inheritor of the proud lion guy legacy (just ignore the other people who use it too, okay)

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Lotta Last Gunbreakers around, folks should organize, maybe start a union

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

GloomMouse posted:

The hosed up thing is GNB had the ingredients for that kind of story.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I liked Gunbreakers little story

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

I liked the Stormblood PLD quest line although I didn't like the whole will they won't they plot.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Getting into Shadowbringers proper, just finished the 73 trial in MSQ. Ran'jit is the most effectively threatening antagonist since, like, Nidhogg. I mean, don't get me wrong, I adore Yotsuyu as a villain and the payoff at the end made the messiness of 4.2 worth it, but I never really felt threatened by her. Her walking into a scene got me :allears:ing. Ran'jit showing up gets an 'oh poo poo'.

Leavy
Feb 15, 2003

rufus

GloomMouse posted:

DRK and WAR.
Warrior had the only cutscenes I think I've ever skipped, but in the 50-60 range. It got so dumb and repetitive I just couldn't anymore out of principal.

e: "URRGH! I'M OUT OF CONTROL!" "quick, bring him back!" "URRGH! I'M OUT OF CONTROL!" "quick, bring him back!" "URRGH! I'M OUT OF CONTROL!" "quick, bring him back!" and by the fourth of fifth time of that I just went blind from how far my eyes rolled back. but it got better later.

Leavy fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Oct 23, 2022

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Leavy posted:

Warrior had the only cutscenes I think I've ever skipped, but in the 50-60 range. It got so dumb and repetitive I just couldn't anymore out of principal.
You didn't miss much. 50-60 Warrior is basically just the denouement for 30-50 Warrior, and ends up getting instantly erased by the very first quest of 60-70 Warrior. Which is fine, nothing of value was lost and StB Warrior is pretty fun, but I can't blame you for not caring. It's not offensively awful, just a forgettable rehash.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

girl dick energy posted:

Getting into Shadowbringers proper, just finished the 73 trial in MSQ. Ran'jit is the most effectively threatening antagonist since, like, Nidhogg. I mean, don't get me wrong, I adore Yotsuyu as a villain and the payoff at the end made the messiness of 4.2 worth it, but I never really felt threatened by her. Her walking into a scene got me :allears:ing. Ran'jit showing up gets an 'oh poo poo'.

I feel the opposite. I can punch stronger and harder and also I'm prettier. That person can go pound sand.

fights you're supposed to lose are dogshit and I hate them with a passion.

Like Clockwork
Feb 17, 2012

It's only the Final Battle once all the players are ready.

it's definitely possible to do unwinnable fights in a way that doesn't totally suck but I'm utterly unconvinced that FF14 is capable of making them at this point.

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

Like Clockwork posted:

it's definitely possible to do unwinnable fights in a way that doesn't totally suck but I'm utterly unconvinced that FF14 is capable of making them at this point.

I'm firmly of the opinion that the first Ran'jit fight should have ended with him getting sick of you dodging everything, and putting a line stack marker on your wounded friends that you have to take (and get knocked out in the process) or else fail the fight (because the Scions are dead). And afterwards, it's made very clear that Ran'jit (who has spent the better part of a century being very good at not dying to things stronger than he is) will not stay and fight you if you challenged him again, since he knows you're stronger than him and thus would just run, but you also can't fight him around your more vulnerable friends or he'll just repeat the same trick. Thus you have to run from him...until you manage to force him to fight you at the end of his storyline.

Thus, Ran'jit is portrayed as not stronger than inhuman combat monster Zenos, but he's just as dangerous because he doesn't fight fair.

GilliamYaeger fucked around with this message at 11:07 on Oct 23, 2022

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

Yeah it's fine to have the WoL lose the occasional battle, but having the bad guy just be inexplicably stronger today is kinda bad. Using the normal mechanic markers and requiring you to 'resolve' them wrong. Introducing a new marker (which will be used that xpac) to illustrate a trick the WoL doesn't know. Have the bad guy do bad guy things.

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

GloomMouse posted:

Yeah it's fine to have the WoL lose the occasional battle, but having the bad guy just be inexplicably stronger today is kinda bad. Using the normal mechanic markers and requiring you to 'resolve' them wrong. Introducing a new marker (which will be used that xpac) to illustrate a trick the WoL doesn't know. Have the bad guy do bad guy things.
The new Lahabrea fight at the end of ARR is a perfect example of that. You get thrown up against a mechanic that you just do not have the DPS to resolve properly and it kills you. It's great game design.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Oh, this is a fantastic idea and is now in my personal headcanon for how that fight “actually” went.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

You can experience it yourself but it requires NG+ and a couple hours of free time to get there

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

Runa posted:

You can experience it yourself but it requires NG+ and a couple hours of free time to get there

yuck. but i guess i can do it since they put in the effort on msq

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

this owns

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Doing the new Cape Westwind and finale duties was absolutely worth sprinting through a chapter of NG+

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

SirSamVimes posted:

Doing the new Cape Westwind and finale duties was absolutely worth sprinting through a chapter of NG+

They did Captain Shieldarms a solid, his fight is great now.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Yeah I'm pretty sure that Rhitahtyn is now the single most hype fight up until the end of 3.0 or so

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Yeah it's just incredible how much storytelling they managed to pack into that fight, and the solo duty after Porta is really good as well. I'm really glad that I went back to do them, although it's a bit of a slog to get to them since you have to go through quite a big chunk of ARR to get to them.

Joe Chip
Jan 4, 2014
Am I just bad or is the final boss of The Burn tough for healing? I haven't done it since doing MSQ as RDM a few months ago. Party was a new SMN, pretty good RDM (rezzed me the one time I died and got my comm), an excellent DRK in savage gear, and me: new WHM in Cryptlurker gear. We didn't wipe but it just felt like a lot of damage with mechanics constantly going off. I'm pretty sure I used every button I have except Cure I and Repose and it still felt like we barely scraped through with everyone dying except the tank. I'm guessing this is just down to more practice but this was by far the hardest time I've had healing an otherwise pretty good group.

Side note the music for that dungeon is a real banger.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I have a lot of trouble with that boss, too. I just thought it was because of mechanics I don’t quite understand/am brute force healing through.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

The last boss of The Burn is probably the hardest dungeon boss to heal in the game. Wipes there aren't uncommon.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
There is a lot of damage in general, and it has a nice one-two of tankbuster into bleed damage that can flatten a tank in quick order if not prepared. It's definitely an outlier as far as dungeon bosses go.

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
One of the boss's attacks leaves behind an ice puddle that ticks for a reasonable amount and tends to blend into the background so it's not uncommon to see people not move out of them until they've taken a ton of damage. IIRC, one of the puddles spawns with the tankbuster so if the tank doesn't move, they're going to eat a lot of damage.

And depending on how awake the party is, there's a good chance multiple people are going to be hit by the asterisk aoe and get frozen too.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

So what's the etiquette with running Extremes in Duty Finder? For context, I was running with 6 of my friends and we just needed a DPS for Garuda Extreme. We managed to finish it on our second try but the DPS with us seemed pretty upset that we did this through Duty Finder instead of Party Finder. My gut reaction was, why are you queuing up for Mentor Roulette if you don't want to do extremes, but maybe there's something I'm missing there.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Arzaac posted:

So what's the etiquette with running Extremes in Duty Finder?

Don't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

You shouldn't run extremes in duty finder since your chance of beating any of them outside like ARR are going to drop significantly but any mentor who runs mentor roulette and whines when they get something hard is a piece of poo poo and why mentors have such bad reputations.