Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

AnEdgelord posted:

that just sounds like a recipe for a military coup as soon as the Bordermarches think about it for 5 seconds
Yeah if I wanted to do some sort of agrarian idyll type thing I think the best spin to put on it is that the people of your own country prepare for war to ensure peace, so they have mandatory service in the arms idustry and military training so the whole nation is always prepared to defend itself. Or something. I havent put a ton of thought into it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won
I would simply not lose the mandate of Heaven.

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

The Narrator posted:

stop posting my scret Qing strategies for my first playthrough

Seriously though, for whatever reason I really enjoy taking countries that should have been major powers but were crippled by internal issues and fixing those issues, and Vicky III seems like the game for that. I can't wait to fail at fixing the Qing multiple times before learning the game.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

The Narrator posted:

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Log082 posted:

stop posting my scret Qing strategies for my first playthrough

Seriously though, for whatever reason I really enjoy taking countries that should have been major powers but were crippled by internal issues and fixing those issues, and Vicky III seems like the game for that. I can't wait to fail at fixing the Qing multiple times before learning the game.

yes thats why I played Texas in v2 and will be playing the Hudson Bay Company in 3

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

AnEdgelord posted:

that just sounds like a recipe for a military coup as soon as the Bordermarches think about it for 5 seconds

Well yeah, that’s why the genre would be fantasy. :v:

More seriously if that setting was ever used I imagine the whole point would be the Bordermarches realizing “Hey, this is bullshit” and upsetting the status quo.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.
“should have been major powers” is a weird deterministic thought lol

but taking acerbic countries and achieving Mighty Goals is very fun it is true

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

Lady Radia posted:

“should have been major powers” is a weird deterministic thought lol

but taking acerbic countries and achieving Mighty Goals is very fun it is true

It was a simplified way of phrasing "have a lot of land and/or population and/or natural resources" but you're not wrong

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

The Narrator posted:

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

I personally am more interested in seeing how quickly I can lose the mandate of heaven.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Tomn posted:

Honestly that sounds like a neat fantasy setting.

“We believe that technology is inherently corrupting to the soul, and so it is forbidden throughout our great empire. However, the forces of darkness are strong and it is unfortunately necessary to sometimes use the weapons of the enemy to fight them. This, the people of the Bordermarches are given special holy dispensation to harness the powers of steam and steel, and daily put both life and soul in peril as they defend the empire with the corruption of the enemy. Pray for them, my brethren, that by their sacrifice we are blessed with the freedom to become ever closer to divinity and holiness.”

Isn't this basically how tech priests work in relation to the Imperium of Man in 40k?

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Isn't this basically how tech priests work in relation to the Imperium of Man in 40k?

The Imperium doesn't really quite have that sort of clean divide; as the Imperium of Man basically spans the entire galaxy and the orc empires, tau, etc basically exist in pockets surrounded by more Man. So there's no clean border for which "armed and technological" can exist; instead worlds vary in how advanced they are with some being basically feudal in technology and population to others being sprawling world-cities and highly advanced forge-worlds.

Tech Priests act as like custodians of what few remaining technological secrets the Imperium has but by and large I don't think they have all that much insight into things; outside of certain rare exceptions like Belisarius Cawl. Instead they're using technology as a sort of blackbox that sometimes just works by chanting the right things before turning the knob.

The Imperial Guard, Sisters of Battle, the Imperial Navy, the Astartes, techpriests, etc, all use very advanced weaponry and produce them in very advanced facilities; but thousands of years of slowly losing knowledge due to a combination of doctrine and chaos infiltration has led to the inner works and means of producing the means of producing such things being lost to time. Irreplaceable to the point that such forge worlds become of absolute strategic value to the Imperium that must be defended at any cost.

Raenir Salazar fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Oct 22, 2022

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Hellioning posted:

I personally am more interested in seeing how quickly I can lose the mandate of heaven.
It's time for the Mandate of Hell.

Horsebanger
Jun 25, 2009

Steering wheel! Hey! Steering wheel! Someone tell him to give it to me!

The Narrator posted:

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

Nektu
Jul 4, 2007

FUKKEN FUUUUUUCK
Cybernetic Crumb
Is it out yet?

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler

Popoto posted:

3 days until a spelling mistake on the main menu screen renders the game literally unplayable

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
3 days until I can speedrun the start of WWI.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

A Buttery Pastry posted:

It's time for the Mandate of Hell.

That’s for the Elders Kings 2 when it comes out on 11 November. It’s going to be a few Paradox months for me coming up

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
3 days until I can lose and then regain and then re-lose the Mandate of Heaven.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
Victoria 3 days.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

The Narrator posted:

It's my mandate, I'm supposed to have it!

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

the factroy pushes the bravery

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Tomn posted:

Honestly that sounds like a neat fantasy setting.

“We believe that technology is inherently corrupting to the soul, and so it is forbidden throughout our great empire. However, the forces of darkness are strong and it is unfortunately necessary to sometimes use the weapons of the enemy to fight them. This, the people of the Bordermarches are given special holy dispensation to harness the powers of steam and steel, and daily put both life and soul in peril as they defend the empire with the corruption of the enemy. Pray for them, my brethren, that by their sacrifice we are blessed with the freedom to become ever closer to divinity and holiness.”

Bordermarches are actually in control of the empire and the whole spiel about idyllic agrarian society is propaganda they use to keep the majority of the population in line and producing for them.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Soundtrack on YouTube

https://youtu.be/hkbyzbKkrxc

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

Just chillin' in the sink

chadbear
Jan 15, 2020

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.

The Chad Jihad posted:

It's my mandate, I'm supposed to have it!

With the new mandate, if you like your heaven you can keep it.

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

I'd like to introduce you to some of the most special of our rocks and minerals.
Soiled Meat
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hlShF6op21o

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
The hype vids are coming out!

(headphones warning from french player in the first min.)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KqCVfW2ju2M

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Spiffing Brit appears to be playing as Jan Mayen, which implies the game is perfectly balanced. Sadly I don't have time to watch it until tonight.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

pictures say a thousand words

Pooned
Dec 28, 2005

Eye contact counters everything
Wastched Bokoens MP game, Spiffing Brits Jan Mayen game and Proud Bavarian forming "HRE", everything looks super fun. God drat I'm hyped for tuesday.

strong bird
May 12, 2009

i need the original 'capitalists build a factroy' video

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Jazerus posted:

pictures say a thousand words

lol

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

The Narrator posted:

lol as well.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

can't believe this game is real and coming out in a few days

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
A disconcordant thought appears!

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
That dude is committed to HOI4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

Pooned posted:

Wastched Bokoens MP game, Spiffing Brits Jan Mayen game and Proud Bavarian forming "HRE", everything looks super fun. God drat I'm hyped for tuesday.

extremely hyped here. big gdp numbers incoming