Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

flavor.flv posted:

2 seconds later

*pulls out powkiddy v90*

I snipe with a lmao

I think I want the RP3 but I want a bigger screen. I think I'll end up getting a steam deck for the house but I want something with a bit of a bigger screen for the backpack.

Would the Odin Lite be the next best thing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
2 steam decks

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

flavor.flv posted:

2 seconds later

*pulls out powkiddy v90*

Lol

SpiderLink
Oct 3, 2006
My Odin Lite arrived yesterday, it's awesome. Still a lot of setup to do but I tested a bunch of different systems (up to Wii/DS/Dreamcast) and it handled them very well. Seems to be great at streaming too!

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

njsykora posted:

The Retroid Pocket does that too, which he brings up in the video. Also for $50 more than the G-Cloud you can have a Steam Deck and do all that anyway with higher native performance.

Yes but screen size.

I tried to get my 552 to play sewer shark the other day and I just couldn’t get it to go.
Wife got all pissy because the fan kept spinning up (playing in bed while she was trying to fall asleep). Sadly it was just playing a sega master system game.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

SpiderLink posted:

My Odin Lite arrived yesterday, it's awesome. Still a lot of setup to do but I tested a bunch of different systems (up to Wii/DS/Dreamcast) and it handled them very well. Seems to be great at streaming too!

did you get v1 or v2 screen with it?

SpiderLink
Oct 3, 2006

Photex posted:

did you get v1 or v2 screen with it?

I'm not sure what the difference is, it's at 61.16 Hz if that's any indication.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

SpiderLink posted:

I'm not sure what the difference is, it's at 61.16 Hz if that's any indication.

That's the v1 screen then interesting, are you seeing any stutters or anything?

SpiderLink
Oct 3, 2006

Photex posted:

That's the v1 screen then interesting, are you seeing any stutters or anything?

I haven't had a ton of time with it, but I've only noticed stuttering when I'm making it running things I know it has trouble with, like 3DS or PS2. If I notice anything majorly troubling, I'll post again.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

I'm thinking about buying one of those arcade emulators with all the games preloaded. Anyone got any recommendations? I was thinking one of these two

https://www.retrogaminghouse.com/pr...ogle%20Shopping

https://www.amazon.com/Console-Pand...la-899551024458

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Those kinds of things almost always seem to have really badly configured emulators and a ton of junk roms like bad romhacks and fan translations or just multiple versions of the same game. If you absolutely need a box preloaded with stuff then I figure the former would probably be fine but I'd be curious why.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
I couldn't be more specific but I think Retro Game Corps who is at least trustworthy has done a couple reviews on all-in-ones like that where he covers whether they are worth getting even if it's only to completely overhaul the software yourself. It seems like most are lovely out of the box but can be software modded in some way to make them decent.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
Does it have to be preloaded with games? There are some cheaper options if you're willing to do some work.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

What I really want is to have a thing I can plug into a tv and play arcade roms and make look like an arcade but I've never been able to get MAME or any other arcade emulator to work so I'm willing to pay if someone else can get one to work and sell it to me.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Shard posted:

What I really want is to have a thing I can plug into a tv and play arcade roms and make look like an arcade but I've never been able to get MAME or any other arcade emulator to work so I'm willing to pay if someone else can get one to work and sell it to me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGS2rET6ZHY

How good do you want? A PC can look amazing with the right configuration.

Raspberry Pi can be setup pretty well too BUT it's a lot harder to fix if something breaks. If you have a laptop that you can connect to your PC that's the way to go, imho.

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!

F.D. Signifier posted:

More like the RG300 is back - it's so close you might think Anbernic is reusing old shells if not for the back

Are the advertised built in games real emulated games or knockoff poo poo?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Is Evercade or Retrocade worth it? It has some nice stuff in the library and I'd prefer one I can play on my TV

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Brrrmph posted:

They are real games for the most part. It’s just a random BitTorrent rom dump

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Is Evercade or Retrocade worth it? It has some nice stuff in the library and I'd prefer one I can play on my TV

Evercade feels to me like something people love when they first get then stop talking about pretty quick. You just have to realise you're committing yourself to buying carts for it.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Brrrmph posted:

Real games, but poorly labelled/organised, and the SD card is no-name failure-prone crap with awful read speeds.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I’d be careful using stock WhateverElec on the new RG353 line. I’ve been using the in game save features without backing up with a state and lost 1-2 hours of progress in a game when it decided “nah I’m not gonna actually overwrite the file.”

Not sure where it writes saves to do testing but I’d watch out and use states until a better Linux OS comes out.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

njsykora posted:

Evercade feels to me like something people love when they first get then stop talking about pretty quick. You just have to realise you're committing yourself to buying carts for it.

It's a neat concept that's crippled by how overpriced it is

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!

Pretty good posted:

Real games, but poorly labelled/organised, and the SD card is no-name failure-prone crap with awful read speeds.

MarcusSA posted:

Got it.

I think I’m gonna get a Retroid Pocket 2 instead. I’ve got a bunch of ROMs somewhere.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

RP2 is a good piece of kit by most accounts.

I got a Miyoo Mini recently and I am in love with it, but I know the small form factor + fragility + lack of analogue stick are dealbreakers for some.

pig labeled 3
Jan 3, 2007

Rolo posted:

I’d be careful using stock WhateverElec on the new RG353 line. I’ve been using the in game save features without backing up with a state and lost 1-2 hours of progress in a game when it decided “nah I’m not gonna actually overwrite the file.”

Not sure where it writes saves to do testing but I’d watch out and use states until a better Linux OS comes out.

ArkOS on the 353v has been basically perfect for me so far. I've been playing Goldeneye on it and having a blast (usually 60fps but slows down to ~50fps in certain spots using Retroarch).

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Shard posted:

I'm thinking about buying one of those arcade emulators with all the games preloaded. Anyone got any recommendations? I was thinking one of these two

https://www.retrogaminghouse.com/pr...ogle%20Shopping

https://www.amazon.com/Console-Pand...la-899551024458

njsykora posted:

Those kinds of things almost always seem to have really badly configured emulators and a ton of junk roms like bad romhacks and fan translations or just multiple versions of the same game. If you absolutely need a box preloaded with stuff then I figure the former would probably be fine but I'd be curious why.

RichterIX posted:

I couldn't be more specific but I think Retro Game Corps who is at least trustworthy has done a couple reviews on all-in-ones like that where he covers whether they are worth getting even if it's only to completely overhaul the software yourself. It seems like most are lovely out of the box but can be software modded in some way to make them decent.

Shard posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GdIYpCE1WrU&t=218s
(timelink)

You're going to have to put in some work no matter what, some of the reviews of these boxes I've seen that actually get into the nitty gritty and test have shown that a lot of the MAME games on them are either bad dumps or badly configured or something, and will just crash to a linux text error screen straight out of 1990. Apparently the games they pre-install under Capcom CPS1-3, FinalBurnAlpha and NeoGeo are ok, however, and that is a good chunk of arcade games, just not as many as MAME supports. Sorry, but them's the breaks. You're either going to have to fix at least some of the roms and configuration that come with them, or roll your own solution. You can also wait for a newer generation of boxes to come out that might have a better pre-configuration.

The Pandora's Box products are as I understand it a real crapshoot, with poor quality sticks and buttons for the price, giant sizes, unpredictable emulation quality and processing power (the latest number may be less powerful than the previous because there's not one company making these). Basically avoid them.

El Gallinero Gros posted:

The Retrobit Retrocade (the one with all the Data East games) from what I've read and seen in reviews is pretty bad. For one, it advertises arcade versions of all the Data East games on the box, but only includes the NES versions? Bizarre bait and switch there. Basically avoid unless you find it at TJ Maxx for $15 and are real curious.

The Evercade seems fine for what it is, it's emulated ROMs on tiny GBA sized cartridges at about $20 for 5 games or so. Like catnip for collectors who must have something physical. It's just emulated ROMs, yeah, but it's a legal way to buy these games for fairly cheap, and if something horrible happened to the internet and all of our computers somehow, then your physical evercade collection would be the only way to play these games.

Brrrmph posted:

MarcusSA posted:

Pretty good posted:

Timelink to a video example of the rom situation, referred to as a "build":
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QWsnu70oKoU&t=218s

These are chinese products so on these anbernic and powkiddy products and such you'll mostly find chinese rom dumps, with the sometimes oddly transliterated titles instead of the original titles, the 3 or 4 digit numbers in front of the names of each file, and a certain amount of weird duplicates and some bootlegs and hacks thrown in. However they're not like the cheapo famiclones where it's the same 50 NES games duplicated 50 times over with hacked levels or edited sprites and such.

If you've maintained your own rom collection over the years, or gotten a good collection from archive.org, you don't need what comes with them. And in the cases where they try to charge more for a bigger collection (on aliexpress or their own site), it's not worth paying more for the bigger one. The Retroid Pocket 2+ and 3 and the Ayn Odin are the only ones that don't come with any built in roms of dubious quality.

Brrrmph posted:

Got it.

I think I’m gonna get a Retroid Pocket 2 instead. I’ve got a bunch of ROMs somewhere.

Pretty good posted:

RP2 is a good piece of kit by most accounts.

I got a Miyoo Mini recently and I am in love with it, but I know the small form factor + fragility + lack of analogue stick are dealbreakers for some.
Remember to get the Retroid Pocket 2+ or 3, not the plain 2, which is not worth it now.

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Nov 4, 2022

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Rolo posted:

Did you report the problem to them at all? Because that's a nasty rear end bug they'd want to squish asap

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

kirbysuperstar posted:

Did you report the problem to them at all? Because that's a nasty rear end bug they'd want to squish asap

I plan to do some digging first when I get home tomorrow. I’m hoping RA just changed a default directory and a usable file will be hiding somewhere on the card.

They definitely don’t make the OS card easy to access and I haven’t been able to figure out SSH credentials for the 353V yet.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
RP2+ is $139 on Amazon. I'm still decently pleased with my RP2 vanilla so a + will probably suit you pretty well.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

This is pretty legit,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=85_yRd492lQ

XBSX2 PS2 Emulator is awesome on the Xbox Series S | MVG

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Retro Game Corps reviews the only device you can just go and buy from a local store, but you'll pay for the privilege

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g0H0YZUGIdU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Yeah it's way too expensive and underpowered and the analog sticks have Ouya levels of deadzone and the d-pad can't do diagonals and the controls don't work with the Android games you'd actually want to play and it only supports FAT32 for the SD card which prevents you running any bigger games but LOOK AT THAT SCREEN!

Seriously so many reviews I've seen of this thing have focused on the screen like a 7" 1080p screen is some mind breaking new technology when you can't emulate the systems that'd really benefit from a 1080p upscale at that level of upscale because it's so underpowered. The control issues I think even discount the value you'll get from it if it flops (which it probably will) and goes on heavy fire sale.

njsykora fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Oct 25, 2022

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I’ll definitely scoop one for $99.99, but not $300

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

$350, $300 was just the preorder price.

Also I just think it looks ugly, give me a nice blue or pink instead of that weird not-quite-neon green.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
RGC was way too kind to that thing. "Diagonal dpad doesn't even register, the stick dead zones will lead to unexpected movements, handheld mode is a pain in the rear end, and many Android games are literally unplayable without button remapping which doesn't exist. But outside of these use cases it's very impressive!!! One of my favorite devices!"

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Hella same

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
What are the best GBA emulators for the RP2? I am so sick of dealing with Retroarch somehow not being able to save games.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Just got my Odin Lite, have to say first glance it feels like it was worth the wait, tossed on a couple PS2 games and set it to 2x no problems

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

Is that a cat in your pants, or are you just a lonely excuse for an adult?

Marx Headroom posted:

RGC was way too kind to that thing. "Diagonal dpad doesn't even register, the stick dead zones will lead to unexpected movements, handheld mode is a pain in the rear end, and many Android games are literally unplayable without button remapping which doesn't exist. But outside of these use cases it's very impressive!!! One of my favorite devices!"

It has a little something for everyone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

The #AD for the Logitech device is heavy, there is no way that people who poo poo on the RP3 (Taki) aren't getting a juicy payment from Logitech

Photex fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Oct 26, 2022