Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

Kosmo Gallion posted:

Aside from the Okada matches, what is considered Kenny Omega's best match?

Omega/Naito G1 2017 final
Omega/Tanahashi WK13 (2019)
I also want to say Omega/KAI in AJPW (2011) but YMMV. Kenny loves that one in particular.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Venomous posted:

afaik, either of the first two Naito matches

I suppose you could be more specific and note that these two matches are the G1 26 (2016) B block finals and G1 27 (2017) finals

But also a lot of people will still put the Omega/Ibushi KO-D title match in Budokan from DDT Peter Pan 2012 high up there, the one that got Ibushi banned from Budokan until New Japan ran the building for the end of G1 28 (2018) and managed to get the ban lifted

Others will argue Omega/Hangman vs Young Bucks from Revolution 2020 (I would argue Golden Lovers vs Young Bucks from 2018 was better, but that’s just me)

Low-key, one of his more tremendous performances is Golden Lovers vs Tanahashi/Ospreay (Aerial Ace-sassins?) on the last 2018 Road To Tokyo Dome show, which, funny enough, will live on forever beyond seemingly every other match Kenny worked because of Ospreay cat-landing off the top-rope rana from Ibushi becoming a meme unto itself that will just pop up every so often. That match though is so good on its own that even Kenny’s press conference promo afterwards starts with him being like “THAT’S what I’m talking about when I say I want to move professional wrestling forward” and giving big props to Tana and Will for their performances before switching into selling the Done matches he and Ibushi individually had against them like eleven days from then.

There’s also probably two or three Ishii matches out of the dozen or so times they worked singles with each other (I’d say two of them would be the 2017 G1 Special US Championship Tournament Final and their G1 28 block match) that would go up towards the top if you’re ranking matches.

And I’m sure, whenever and wherever they run Omega vs Ospreay - you can see New Japan wanting it in the Dome to stack a Wrestle Kingdom, you can see Kenny wanting to work Osaka-jo Hall, his favorite arena on the planet, one more time and it happening at Dominion, or, if there’s a compromise because Kenny is an AEW talent/employee and all the build so far has been online and on Dynamite and the majority of future building to the match would continue on the same lines, it’s at Forbidden Door 2 - that match will probably be off the charts incredible, especially with a healthy Omega.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Lurks With Wolves posted:

From what I've heard, it's mostly a combination of them acting like they're really important when they're only good at garbage brawls and WWF backstage culture just not giving a drat about some random indie guys who think they're hot poo poo. It isn't actually very complicated.

They also came into the company with some heat in the locker room because they had initially chosen WCW over WWF when they left ECW the first time.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

rocco rock was 75 years old back then. i was young. i probably thought he was about 30 or around there

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Who's the tallest wrestler ever that actually had talent? Giant Gonzalez and The Great Khali are/were dogshit pushed because they were tall.

Also who's the tallest female wrestler?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Who's the tallest wrestler ever that actually had talent? Giant Gonzalez and The Great Khali are/were dogshit pushed because they were tall.

Andre was loving awesome when he was younger, dude was very agile.

Show also used to be incredibly agile and has had periods of being pretty watchable.

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH
The tallest genuinely great wrestler might be Giant Baba at 6'10".

Suleman
Sep 4, 2011

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Isis The Amazon, aka Aloisia, aka the wrestler who was fired and removed from the reality show version of NXT before the season started after erotic photos of her were spread online. 6'9'' or 204 cm.

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins

Kvlt! posted:

I've noticed in deathmatch wrestling that women either usually wrestle men or (especially in Japan in what I've watched) women on women deathmatches tend to just be regular wrestling with slightly more color. Is the reason for no real big female on female deathmatches just that it's too niche (I mean look at how long it took for WWE to just take regular women's wrestling seriously) or is there another reason?

Or maybe there's some badass female on female deathmatch wrestlers/matches/promotions and I'm just oblivious to them.
A sizable portion of modern joshi consists of current or former idols (actresses/singers/TV personalities/models) who decided to become wrestlers, so not as many want to be associated with the extreme violence - both on a personal and cultural level. Not disparaging any of them because it's pretty impressive how many of them go from acting to being awesome in the ring in just a few years, but there are certain connotations many of them still want to avoid, which is presumably why you see promotions like AWG that actively try to distance themselves from it. Gender politics in Japan still aren't great, unfortunately.

TheKingslayer posted:

I always thought it was kinda weird when WWE used, "Cool for the Summer" for one of their Summer Slam shows.
Or Rush covering Summertime Blues, of all things.

Flight Bisque
Feb 23, 2008

There is, surprisingly, always hope.

nice.

also for content here's the Undertaker/Katy Perry video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uvTtv7f-DmI

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Show also used to be incredibly agile and has had periods of being pretty watchable.

He was also still capable of having really fun matches with the right opponent as his active in-ring career was winding down, like his matches with Sheamus and Mark Henry in 2011/2012.

edogawa rando fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Oct 22, 2022

Web Jew.0
May 13, 2009

Pope Corky the IX posted:

I can recall people complaining about themes that don't fit or songs being used in general (like for a PPV) but now all I can think of is a bunch of examples from the 80s.

I once read a recap on 411 where the writer said Billy Kidman's WWE theme is ill-suited, because it's too cool for Billy Kidman. This was nearly 20 years ago lmao but it's burned in my memory.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Suleman posted:

Isis The Amazon, aka Aloisia, aka the wrestler who was fired and removed from the reality show version of NXT before the season started after erotic photos of her were spread online. 6'9'' or 204 cm.

Good lord. It looks like the camera tricks they used in Lord of the Rings.

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008

Flight Bisque posted:

nice.

also for content here's the Undertaker/Katy Perry video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uvTtv7f-DmI

Just to give some context, I believe this was when it re-aired on NBC and they didn't have the rights to (or at least didn't want to pay again for) the Johnny Cash song Undertaker was using.

PunishedEnzoMatrix
Jul 29, 2022

by Hand Knit

Suleman posted:

Hire her, Tony

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
Man, I remember being so annoyed when they fired Isis the Amazon. I have no idea if she was a good wrestler or not but I wanted her with a manager, killing jobbers.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
If she had somehow looked just like Sable and been 6'9" Vince would never have fired her over those boring fetish photos

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Alexander Hamilton posted:

Just to give some context, I believe this was when it re-aired on NBC and they didn't have the rights to (or at least didn't want to pay again for) the Johnny Cash song Undertaker was using.

Who gives a poo poo about context, someone at WWE decided the real next best option to play over the montage of the company’s mythological badass undead zombie MMA wizard was a song about Katy Perry wanting to gently caress an alien

History Comes Inside! fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Oct 23, 2022

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

History Comes Inside! posted:

Who gives a poo poo about context, someone at WWE decided the real next best option to play over the montage of the company’s mythological badass undead zombie MMA wizard was a song about Katy Perry wanting to gently caress an alien

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Was just at Berlin’s GWF’s show and they have a gimmick which I don’t think I’ve ever heard of before: The Loserweight Championship.

The title represents the dubious acclaim of being the worst wrestler in the promotion. If you have the title and lose a match that is ”for” the championship, you have to KEEP the belt. Of course, the belt is beaten up and looks like poo poo. ”Challengers” seem to be chosen based on (kayfabe) poor performances on shows, for instance today’s challenger was supposed to be someone who was eliminated first in the last event’s battle royale, but since they had the ’rona, it was instead a guy who very poorly impersonated a lucha guy in the same battle royale.

What I found pretty cool was that the title actually seems to have some meaning. The current Loserweight champion Orlando Silver is a member of the big heel faction Blutsbrüder. After the match the faction members came to the ring and told the guy that he would be thrown out because Blutsbrüder stands for success, not clowns like Silver. However, he begged them for one more chance and at the next show he faces some random big guy and if he loses again, he’s not only out of the Blutsbrüder but GWF as a whole. Cool!

Anyway, my actual question is that is this an example of German engineering at its finest or have there been similar gimmicks in other (notable) promotions? I’ve never heard of such a concept before but it’s pretty fun.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

a cyborg mug posted:

Anyway, my actual question is that is this an example of German engineering at its finest or have there been similar gimmicks in other (notable) promotions? I’ve never heard of such a concept before but it’s pretty fun.

DDT did it first (truly the Simpsons of wrestling)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/King_of_Dark_Championship

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

fez_machine posted:

Ha, should have guessed! Thanks!

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
My indy fed (not trying to claim this was ripped off by anyone, just reminiscing) once had a match to determine the biggest loser in fed history, and the finish was one guy knocking his opponent out and pulling him on top in what can only be described as a reverse schoolboy for the big loss. And that was actually the last fall as it was a "Worst of 7 Falls" match

My personal highlight on the show was having someone draw a face on a pumpkin and put it on his head to impersonate another wrestler, fooling the referee into thinking that wrestler had been pinned.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

fez_machine posted:

Why does the loser's title look so fuckin' rad?

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

The Japanese wiki entry quotes the inaugural champion Gota Ihashi describing the belt as "unnecessarily cool."

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

edogawa rando posted:

The Japanese wiki entry quotes the inaugural champion Gota Ihashi describing the belt as "unnecessarily cool."

Looking him up, I found out he started in DDT playing a fat version of Ibushi, and held the trios titles with the Golden Lovers.

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

He has a fantastic looking moonsault for a balloon man

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
So, Bob Backlund: is he actually insane, or just really good at playing the part?

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

TL posted:

So, Bob Backlund: is he actually insane, or just really good at playing the part?

I assume this is apropos of SPORTS EDUCATION!

I think a lot of it is over acting and exaggeration, but dude did run as a republican in Connecticut. so take that for what you will.

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe
Hello, perhaps this thread can help me find a very specific WWF moment. I don't know if it was Raw or Smackdown, but I'm inclined to say Raw. Basically, something happened and (I think) Stephanie slapped Austin while he was holding a steel chair, and it slowly dawned on him that he had full carte blanche to nail Stephanie in the head now. I don't believe he actually did it, but it was wild to see 20,000 fans just begging this guy to whack her with the chair.

They did a very similar thing with Kurt Angle in the Angle/Rousey/HHH/Stephanie match at Wrestlemania:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d8WLXyX-jn4&t=1455s

Does anyone know which Raw this happened on? It's one of my favorite Attitude-era things but I cannot for the life of me remember when it happened or find it.

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins
Does CMLL really have 30 active championships? And if so, has anyone made an effort to explain all of them to casual lucha fans? I see that they have a bunch of weight classes, but there are also a bunch of Mexico-wide and regional ones. Do they just not defend a lot of them regularly? Or only at certain shows?

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Bonk posted:

Does CMLL really have 30 active championships? And if so, has anyone made an effort to explain all of them to casual lucha fans? I see that they have a bunch of weight classes, but there are also a bunch of Mexico-wide and regional ones. Do they just not defend a lot of them regularly? Or only at certain shows?

I’m not aware of that specifically, but in Mexico the highest-profile matches aren’t always title feuds but often the mask and hair matches (mask vs mask, mask vs hair). AAA, but their recent Triplemania had the Mega Championship match in the semi-main and a mask match in the main event.

I think others who follow Lucha closely can probably expand but that’s what I’ve picked up.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

How did Kazuyuki Fujita end up using an orchestral version of Inoki Bom-Ba-Ye as his entrance music?

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Lamuella posted:

How did Kazuyuki Fujita end up using an orchestral version of Inoki Bom-Ba-Ye as his entrance music?

To play into his gimmick as Inoki's final disciple

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
How/why did Fujita drop out of NJPW, if he was around during Inokism's peak? Did he just decide to go full MMA? Backstage problems? (several Wikipedia articles cite Fujita et al as "unreliable" for some reason) And why didn't he just go back to NJPW when he decided to go back to pro wrestling?

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Lily Catts posted:

How/why did Fujita drop out of NJPW, if he was around during Inokism's peak? Did he just decide to go full MMA? Backstage problems? (several Wikipedia articles cite Fujita et al as "unreliable" for some reason) And why didn't he just go back to NJPW when he decided to go back to pro wrestling?

Fujita was with NJPW till 2005 and was scheduled for a rematch with Lesnar in Jan 06 but Inoki ended up losing power and being forced to sell so Fujita left. As for why he didn't go back, well most of the Inoki guys that left probably weren't welcome back due for how badly the company ddi and Fujita didn't have enough history to work past that

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Lamuella posted:

that theme always struck me like the theme for a lost appearance of inoki as a final fantasy boss more than anything. given his personality, fashion sense, usage of religious iconography, and the makai club it really doesn't seem like much of a stretch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmw_mUGwD3w

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Fujita was with NJPW till 2005 and was scheduled for a rematch with Lesnar in Jan 06 but Inoki ended up losing power and being forced to sell so Fujita left. As for why he didn't go back, well most of the Inoki guys that left probably weren't welcome back due for how badly the company ddi and Fujita didn't have enough history to work past that

I'd also mention that when the IWGP Heavyweight Title was a thing (RIP, gone too soon, drat you Ibushi, drat you to hell), during the champion roll-call on the big screen, I remember the audience often booing when Fujita appeared. I feel like that speaks volumes.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

I do have to say that the orchestral version is massively more Noah, if that makes sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

After WWE banned blading/blood, how do they deal with just natural cuts/injuries/blood during a match? Like you get thrown into the turnbuckle and genuinely get a little cut, but blood is banned, what happens?

Or is it only INTENTIONAL blading/blood that's banned?