Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Clive?
Clive
a
Clive
View Results

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

So if you want to play Silent Hill 2 or 3 now your options are a little weirder than I expected. Yet another patented edition breakdown.

First, the entire PS2 series is surprisingly expensive in all regions, like close to $100 for SH2, which I thought was a common enough title to prevent this. SH2 on the original Xbox is a little more reasonably priced but you'd need an OG Xbox or 360 with a proper hard drive to play it.

The HD Collection that was released for PS3 and 360 launched with some pretty severe rendering issues, like issues with lighting and fog that screw up a lot of the look of the game. Apparently, this is mostly if not entirely fixed now on PS3 through patches, but the Xbox 360 version wasn't fixed. On PS3 I think it's disc-only and you'd obviously need an actual PS3. It used to be on PS Now but isn't on PS+ Premium currently. It might come back eventually for streaming play. On 360/XB1 you can get it on disc or digitally, but again it will have the graphical issues I alluded to earlier. Discs for PS3 and 360 aren't too expensive it seems, I actually just ordered a PS3 copy CIB for $30cad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fifteen of Many
Feb 23, 2006
Is OG Silent Hill 2 (either emulated or the HD collection) worth playing today if you didn’t grow up with the franchise? I landed on the Resident Evil side of the RE/SH divide.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Fifteen of Many posted:

Is OG Silent Hill 2 (either emulated or the HD collection) worth playing today if you didn’t grow up with the franchise? I landed on the Resident Evil side of the RE/SH divide.

i hope so because all this talk of silent hill along with the time of year is making me really want to play it, i do own the ps2 copy (i remember watching my dad play it) but I lost my ps2 cables long ago :(

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Fifteen of Many posted:

never, ever the HD collection

the original is timeless though

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

JollyBoyJohn posted:

i hope so because all this talk of silent hill along with the time of year is making me really want to play it, i do own the ps2 copy (i remember watching my dad play it) but I lost my ps2 cables long ago :(

You're in luck because getting cables for a PS2 should be cheap and easy. I think you can even get somewhat-crude HDMI out adapters that are fairly inexpensive.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

Escobarbarian posted:

Yeah a secret teacher maid you can date isn’t creepy or embarrassing at all lmao. I know you said crappy not creepy but let’s just pretend

Not only does she date a student, the poor boy can barely even function without his support cat.

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

History Comes Inside! posted:

The main trope that Persona 5 avoids that stops it from being Too Anime despite being Very Anime is that there isn’t a sexualised prepubescent girl in it, secret 5000 year old demon or otherwise.

Honestly any anime-adjacent game that avoids that deserves a pass in TYOOL 2022.

When you’re in jail there’s two immortal nazi children.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

History Comes Inside! posted:

The main trope that Persona 5 avoids that stops it from being Too Anime despite being Very Anime is that there isn’t a sexualised prepubescent girl in it, secret 5000 year old demon or otherwise.

Honestly any anime-adjacent game that avoids that deserves a pass in TYOOL 2022.

Futaba is kinda borderline imo

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Plague Tale 2 just softlocked me by making a checkpoint the second I started getting eaten by rats so when ever I load my save I get instantly eaten. Start of the chapter is maybe two hours back.

Think I'm done with this for now.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Got dang I can’t wait. It is the return era of the hyperviolent action horror game and I am READY.

Escobarbarian posted:

Yeah a secret teacher maid you can date isn’t creepy or embarrassing at all lmao. I know you said crappy not creepy but let’s just pretend

As a dumb pervert tm I really need to play this game!!! I just wish it wasn’t 500 hours long but that’s probably a good thing since it seems great. The music is sooo awesome from what I’ve heard.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Fifteen of Many posted:

I say yes, though anyone jumping in should be prepared to endure a rough first impression before they get hooked. The beginning is slow and moody, the plot takes a while to get started, and the combat is not going to win anyone over. If you're going to give it a shot, try to get through the apartments before you make a call about whether to continue. That's where the cool stuff starts happening and the game gets some momentum going. And the HD collection is bad, so go with emulation if you can.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
SH2 is absolutely worth playing, if you approach it with the right expectations- it's an extremely moody and atmospheric walking simulator, which someone has clumsily modded combat into. The enemies tie strongly into the themes of the story and what's really going on, especially Pyramid Head who is iconic for a reason, so removing them isn't the answer, but the actual process of fighting them, with tank controls and a deliberately weak player character, sucks. Fortunately a lot of the enemies can just be run past (not all of them, and there are mandatory boss and story encounters) so you can spend the most time basking in the terrible situations James finds himself in

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Yeah run past most enemies, the game expects it. Your plank of wood has infinite ammo but also it's a plank of wood. Push through the opening section, get used to the clunky controls, and your reward will be crippling fear and emotional devastation 👍

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Oh hey my two former co workers worked on Callisto Protocol.

loving noice.

Also echoing the statement. Play the OG Silent Hill 2.

Avoid the lovely rear end remaster. Just yeesh.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I found an OG Xbox copy of SH2 in my closet recently and smugly assumed it would work in my series X. It did not.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
i got the pc version of 2 (might sell it and buy a house) and the ps2 versions of 3 and 4, and the usa psn version of 1 (i had the game as backup copy import before it was released here on ps1 after i got my ps1 chipped, those where the days :allears: ) i wanted the whole set on ps2 but lmafo and have settled for a freemcboot and rad2x :colbert:

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice
I can't wait to watch a playthrough of Callisto Protocol. It looks hella good!

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
sh1-4 are all worth playing today on a sony playstation 2.

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010
Anyone got any good recommendations for (couch, ideally although I'm giving her my old PS4 so online might be an option) Co-op games to play with a lapsed gamer? My girlfriend hasn't played anything since the Wii.

She mentioned liking the Lego games previously and there's a bunch of those on PS+ so we're starting with those. Also Overcooked, although I know that has potential to cause fights.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Spalec posted:

Anyone got any good recommendations for (couch, ideally although I'm giving her my old PS4 so online might be an option) Co-op games to play with a lapsed gamer? My girlfriend hasn't played anything since the Wii.

She mentioned liking the Lego games previously and there's a bunch of those on PS+ so we're starting with those. Also Overcooked, although I know that has potential to cause fights.

It takes two

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice

Do note that the other player doesn't need to buy the game and it rules.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Endwalker: just got to an area that plays FF4 music! :peanut: If this "moonship" isnt called the Big Whale I swear I'll do time

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Endwalker: FF4 battle theme!! :neckbeard:

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Only silent hill 1 and 2 were good and we do not need another lazy remake. It is pathetic how every moron loses their poo poo about paying $70 for another copy of a game they have bought 3 tines previously.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Mr Hootington posted:

Only silent hill 1 and 2 were good and we do not need another lazy remake. It is pathetic how every moron loses their poo poo about paying $70 for another copy of a game they have bought 3 tines previously.

I agree, it’s incredibly lame when people get mad about remakes they don’t have to buy. That was your point, right?

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Extremely mad about what other people enjoy or how they spend their money.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Losers deflecting by using the "you mad?" Pathetic.

At least with the FF7 and resident evil remakes Capcom and Square didn't just do a lazy rehash. They are unique games. You think Konami will do that?

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

lol. Wake up sheeple!

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Mr Hootington posted:

At least with the FF7 and resident evil remakes Capcom and Square didn't just do a lazy rehash. They are unique games. You think Konami will do that?

What’s up, dude? How’s it going? What you been playing atm?

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Mr Hootington posted:

I do and that's why I'm doubtful, I don't think Konami or Bloober have the ability to make a new game that successfully channels SH2. They've both tried and failed before. It's looking like an RE2make level overhaul based on the changes to camera and combat. In fact this whole thing looks like Konami watched Capcom reinvigorate RE over the last few years and decided that's their playbook for getting back into AAA games.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Escobarbarian posted:

What’s up, dude? How’s it going? What you been playing atm?

HZD2, Cult of Lamb, and no-build Fortnite. Rotating by what I feel like playing. Some PC games too. Waiting for GoW2.
Had hoped Gotham Knights would be good, but looks like a turd. May get it when it is $20-$30.

What have you been playing?

caldrax
Jan 21, 2001

i learned it from watching you

Mr Hootington posted:

Oh Christ dude roomtone's body is still warm

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

I would pay £70 for the suikoden 1+2 HD remasters but please dont read this konami thanks

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

acksplode posted:

I do and that's why I'm doubtful, I don't think Konami or Bloober have the ability to make a new game that successfully channels SH2. They've both tried and failed before. It's looking like an RE2make level overhaul based on the changes to camera and combat. In fact this whole thing looks like Konami watched Capcom reinvigorate RE over the last few years and decided that's their playbook for getting back into AAA games.

If Konami and Bloober actually put out a decent reimagining instead of a graphics overhaul over outdated gameplay then great.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Mr Hootington posted:

If Konami and Bloober actually put out a decent reimagining instead of a graphics overhaul over outdated gameplay then great.

You should probably follow the news a little more closely if you want to get this pissy over it. It's a soup to nuts remake with a third person camera and new combat system.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Mr Hootington posted:

HZD2, Cult of Lamb, and no-build Fortnite. Rotating by what I feel like playing. Some PC games too. Waiting for GoW2.
Had hoped Gotham Knights would be good, but looks like a turd. May get it when it is $20-$30.

What have you been playing?

That’s a cool list! I completed Dragon Quest 11 and started Persona 5 Royal because I am insane I think. So far I really like the visuals, the music, the ability to talk to monsters, the friendship building elements (until many of them presumably turn creepy), and the calendar structure which is literally something I’ve only seen in Tim Rogers videos about Japan-only games and never actually experienced in one myself haha

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Escobarbarian posted:

That’s a cool list! I completed Dragon Quest 11 and started Persona 5 Royal because I am insane I think. So far I really like the visuals, the music, the ability to talk to monsters, the friendship building elements (until many of them presumably turn creepy), and the calendar structure which is literally something I’ve only seen in Tim Rogers videos about Japan-only games and never actually experienced in one myself haha

Dragon Quest 11 is such a good game. Best JRPG ever. Don't know how they top it with DQ12.

I could never get into the Persona games and the trailers and gameplay videos I watched never quite caught my attention. The calendar system is like an in-game time limit thing isntit? I hope you can continue to enjoy the game.

Are there any games made for toddlers? The grandkid is about 2 and a half and she likes to play with controllers and keyboards. She seems to be interested in trying a game of some sort.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Mr Hootington posted:

Are there any games made for toddlers? The grandkid is about 2 and a half and she likes to play with controllers and keyboards. She seems to be interested in trying a game of some sort.

I take you don't care about the genre?

This is a bit of a tricky needle to thread and what you most want is a consequence-free game with very simple controls where it's not really possible to get "stuck" anywhere. I tried a few different games with my son over the years. Successful games have included Kirby's Epic Yarn (Wii and 3DS), Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (Switch, not the Wii U version, because the Switch version has some automatic driving options the Wii U version doesn't), and Trackmania Turbo (I think a few maps in there's one that's a little more open that the kid can just drive around in for funsies). If they start to git gud in the sense that they understand how the controller works and can understand how to do things like make jumps in platformers, you can move onto stuff like New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe (has some "easy mode" selectable characters), Super Mario Odyssey, and Astro's Playroom. You can also try the various Lego games, they're usually easy once they understand a controller.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

univbee posted:

I take you don't care about the genre?

This is a bit of a tricky needle to thread and what you most want is a consequence-free game with very simple controls where it's not really possible to get "stuck" anywhere. I tried a few different games with my son over the years. Successful games have included Kirby's Epic Yarn (Wii and 3DS), Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (Switch, not the Wii U version, because the Switch version has some automatic driving options the Wii U version doesn't), and Trackmania Turbo (I think a few maps in there's one that's a little more open that the kid can just drive around in for funsies). If they start to git gud in the sense that they understand how the controller works and can understand how to do things like make jumps in platformers, you can move onto stuff like New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe (has some "easy mode" selectable characters), Super Mario Odyssey, and Astro's Playroom. You can also try the various Lego games, they're usually easy once they understand a controller.

I forget I have a switch packed away. I should get that out. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
As a person who really only plays single player adventure games the last quarter of 2022 with Requiem, GOW2 and Callisto are awesome.