Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Popoto posted:

The hype vids are coming out!

(headphones warning from french player in the first min.)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KqCVfW2ju2M

Making so much paper to try and quell the ravenous desire of the fine arts market is such a hilarious way to turn your country into a... wait for it... paper tiger.

Edit: What a terrible top of page post.

Capfalcon fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Oct 22, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

Popoto posted:

A disconcordant thought appears!

If you mostly enjoy pushing troops around the map, which a HOI4 focused YouTuber probably is, then Victoria3 is the worst PDX game for you.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

CharlestheHammer posted:

That dude is committed to HOI4

He might do it for his annual December mega-campaign.

But probably not.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

GaussianCopula posted:

If you mostly enjoy pushing troops around the map, which a HOI4 focused YouTuber probably is, then Victoria3 is the worst PDX game for you.

Yeah war is gonna suck rear end in Vicky 3 so I can’t imagine what the game would have for him

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

now that v3 is almost out i must implore the dev's once again to make little mans on the map fighting during battles, as the first thing they do + also for free

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I'm so excited for war in V3. It's always the thing that makes me lose all steam in paradox games. I'll be having a blast marrying my horse and doing princess eugenics and boosting my economy and then some stupid war breaks out and now I need to 100% hyper focus on moving mans around on a map playing whack a mole. I'll be having a lovely time taking control of trade nodes and making numbers go up extremely fast and then suddenly there's a war and now I have to focus entirely on a perfectly optimized carpet siege schedule. I'm building some massive dyson sphere or some other super-project and then, surprise suprise, time to focus on some of the worst ship combat and micro I've ever seen in a 4X game.

The combat system in V3 makes me feel heard. I have generals that I can delegate to doing boring poo poo like that. I've got production methods to minmax, leave me alone!

feller
Jul 5, 2006

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

now that v3 is almost out i must implore the dev's once again to make little mans on the map fighting during battles, as the first thing they do + also for free

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Baronjutter posted:

I'm so excited for war in V3. It's always the thing that makes me lose all steam in paradox games. I'll be having a blast marrying my horse and doing princess eugenics and boosting my economy and then some stupid war breaks out and now I need to 100% hyper focus on moving mans around on a map playing whack a mole. I'll be having a lovely time taking control of trade nodes and making numbers go up extremely fast and then suddenly there's a war and now I have to focus entirely on a perfectly optimized carpet siege schedule. I'm building some massive dyson sphere or some other super-project and then, surprise suprise, time to focus on some of the worst ship combat and micro I've ever seen in a 4X game.

The combat system in V3 makes me feel heard. I have generals that I can delegate to doing boring poo poo like that. I've got production methods to minmax, leave me alone!

I like the concept of war in paradox games because it feels like a good benchmark/stress test to put your country through. In that sense it was very enjoyable. HOI4 at least got rid of the whackamole situation with front lines and garrison units, but air and sea become issues when you’re large enough and you have to dedicate a lot more brainpower to that. But even then like you said sometimes you get war decc’d by a large enough country that you go back to the main menu because it’s gonna be tedium, even as the stronger power.

Definitely hoping V3 lets me hand off the reins with the micro if I’m not feeling up to the task.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Baronjutter posted:

It's kind of interesting how, having seen warfare in V3, it looks so much more natural and in keeping with the rest of the gameplay than that seen in other Paradox games

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009
I'm a bit concerned that it seems like you can't really go wrong no matter what you do, all the gameplay (inc official streams) I've seen is people effortlessly steamrolling opposition without really engaging with half the game.

Also another vote for little mans.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.
did the embargo lift today instead?! super hype if so, wanting some vicky 3 content

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Lady Radia posted:

did the embargo lift today instead?! super hype if so, wanting some vicky 3 content

If it's like CK3 - which it seems like it is - I think it'll be condensed, thematic videos today and tomorrow and then whatever come sometime Monday.

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010
I feel like difficulty mods will be very easy and quick for people to make. Meanwhile even if it's easy it seems like everyone who plays it is having a hell of a lot of fun with it. Plus like none of the most ridiculous stuff looks like it would be viable in mp anyway.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Fellblade posted:

I'm a bit concerned that it seems like you can't really go wrong no matter what you do, all the gameplay (inc official streams) I've seen is people effortlessly steamrolling opposition without really engaging with half the game.

Also another vote for little mans.

This game will really live or die by it's AI. If the AI is horrible at picking wars or managing its economy we're not going to have a good time. For something more character driven like CK, weird Ai can be a little more forgiven because the time period was full of idiot weirdos making very suboptimal management choices. But yeah if V3 is super easy because only the player is smart enough to pick good industries to build it's going to feel weird. Stellaris suffered from this big time, it has an economy a player can fairly easily optimize but the AI has been nearly entirely braindead for the game's entire history, so it never feels like enemy empires are even playing the same game as you. To provide a challenge the game just throws huge bonuses and free income at them.

I'd say my top worry about V3 is the AI, specially since paradox doesn't have the best track record with making AI that can actually interact with the complex economies they design. I don't want to be able to effortlessly turn any country into a superpower simply because I'm the only force in the game smart enough to get the 101 level of industrial development strategy right.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
No company does AI well because the tech just isn’t there.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

i think part of the reason it looks really easy is that people keep playing prussia and austria. like yeah, if you don't have the hangups about a "crown from the gutter" that friedrich wilhelm had then you're going to unify germany really quickly and then steamroll everybody around you

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Like fundamentally if you want a hard game in a paradox game you have to play as a small or weak country. It’s how its always has been

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010
Well, the Jan Mayen game ended up with him having like the 10th highest GDP in the world and 160k some people in a communist paradise. And also he won a war with Russia by doing nothing and letting Russia outcost themselves in the war which seems a bit silly since even Russia should be able to send a few battalions to take them out and not mobilize half the country to take out an island with 3 battalions max. But that game could have also been lost at pretty much any time if he'd actually faced a naval invasion or been kicked out of markets I feel like. At one point he lost like 40k people in a very short amount of time too.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Honestly the last Paradox game I actually loved was EU4 so if this sucks then I think I'll give up on them.

Pooned
Dec 28, 2005

Eye contact counters everything
It might seem like infamy is less of a problem than in Eu4 or Vic 2. but If i remember correctly you can change that particular difficulty in options. I don't think Austria should be able to have super high infamy 10 years into the game without France or England caring at all.

Edit:

Also the strange war in the Jan Mayen game. Russia attacking Jan Mayen, mobilizing way more troops that neccessary, then not being able to actually invade. What I was really hoping for in Vic 3, compared to say Vic 2, is the threat of over-sea nations. Usa and England are basically useless in wars in Vic 2 because of the AI and transporting troops. I really want to feel a massive America try to invade or gently caress someone up late-game. What made Russia not able to Jon Mayen, does anyone know?

Pooned fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Oct 22, 2022

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Mantis42 posted:

Honestly the last Paradox game I actually loved was EU4 so if this sucks then I think I'll give up on them.

I'm in the same boat, EU4 had so many problems but it was at least fun to play for a while and it felt like the AI did try to stop you from just doing whatever you liked, even if it wasn't very good at it. None of their subsequent games have felt like strategic puzzles in the same way; CK is an incest meme simulator and the strategic part of the game is entirely an afterthought, Imperator wasn't bad but lacked scope (every major power could be reduced to insignificance after losing one war) and the non-Rome AI was bizarrely passive, and Stellaris also leans hard into RP and just letting the player just do what they like while the AI bumbles around ineffectually. To be fair, unless they're going to start a new IP or EU5 has some serious changes at the design / concept level I can't reasonably see me being interested in any future Paradox releases after V3 anyway.

There was always the risk that V3 was going to be yet another game where the AI only exists to give you something to mock and laugh at and I was absolutely expecting the AI to be unthreatening at best, but in spite of that expectation, the degree to which the AI seems to have been underperforming in all the streams and other preview material I've seen so far is still discouraging.

Pooned posted:

It might seem like infamy is less of a problem than in Eu4 or Vic 2. but If i remember correctly you can change that particular difficulty in options. I don't think Austria should be able to have super high infamy 10 years into the game without France or England caring at all.

The real problem is that states don't seem to have any concept of "if this state becomes stronger they will be an existential threat to us, we must prevent them from winning a major war at all costs". Since this is basically the entire concept around which the Victorian era balance of power was structured, the diplomacy just doesn't make sense

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

I found it funny you say that considering in my experience the EU4 AI was incredibly passive.

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010
OPB did make a post on reddit to explain that his strategy absolutely would not have worked at higher aggression difficulty levels. Also these are incredibly high percentile Victoria/Paradox players who are very adept at exploiting the games to begin with.

One Proud Bavarian posted:

Hey, that's me!

Just two things: I've reached the "gently caress around" stage after playing the game a little too much *and* this game was on the normal AI aggression game rules.

So mix that together and you get a tryhard that wants to do something insane(-ly stupid) and an AI that thinks I am just a normal player trying to understand how the economy works. I don't think I could've done this on the high anti-player/high general aggression levels!

I have gotten my sovereignty violated by Prussia often enough to know that the AI will happily bully me when they see a chance.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

CharlestheHammer posted:

I found it funny you say that considering in my experience the EU4 AI was incredibly passive.

Oh yeah I would mostly play minors bordering a major state which makes them way more interested in what you're doing (they would almost always be domineering and gently caress with you diplomatically a lot) and then getting tons of infamy would make more distant states decide that you're threatening as well. The system probably was not tuned anywhere near the same if you started as a major power, but then in CK or Imperator the AI was even worse than this most of the time, so saying that EU4 is damning with slight praise

With all the complaining earlier said, I just remembered that there are AI settings to specifically make the AI hate the player so while this won't fix the AI seemingly not being that into preserving the balance of power in general, it might at least prevent you from being able to mercilessly gently caress around with the AI like in that Austria video

feller
Jul 5, 2006

RabidWeasel posted:

The real problem is that states don't seem to have any concept of "if this state becomes stronger they will be an existential threat to us, we must prevent them from winning a major war at all costs". Since this is basically the entire concept around which the Victorian era balance of power was structured, the diplomacy just doesn't make sense

Was it? I know the western euros intervened against Russia a lot, but Prussia and Italy didn't face any outside intervention in their wars did they?

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Prussia was only able to do what it did because Bismarck diplomatically isolated France and baited them into attacking.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Zeron posted:

OPB did make a post on reddit to explain that his strategy absolutely would not have worked at higher aggression difficulty levels. Also these are incredibly high percentile Victoria/Paradox players who are very adept at exploiting the games to begin with.

Huh, is this the first time that the difficulty in a Paradox game actually matters?

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

yeti friend posted:

Was it? I know the western euros intervened against Russia a lot, but Prussia and Italy didn't face any outside intervention in their wars did they?

Russia was absolutely stepping on toes when they screwed with the Ottomans, particularly the UK who had competing interests in Asia; France I think had their own competing interests in the Middle East. While Italy had the support of Britain and France in its Unification.

Prussia had the support of Austria in the war with Denmark in 1864; while France dithered in the Prussian-Austrian War of 1866 and Prussia had of coursed allied Italy; and of course the defeat caused all sorts of internal and foreign problems for Austria which kept them out of the war of 1870.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
Weird choice that two of the first non-paradox videos are basically people cheesing the game and exploiting the AI

All the Dev streams have been kind of gimmicky too

I feel like we still haven't actually seen anyone just like... play the game in a chill way

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Apparently the content creators were specifically told to do weird meme stuff which is... very strange and presumably some marketing guy's decision

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

RabidWeasel posted:

Apparently the content creators were specifically told to do weird meme stuff which is... very strange and presumably some marketing guy's decision

"The core audience will buy the game anyway. I want sales from the meme-nazis who don't like our games too!"

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

RabidWeasel posted:

Yeah that makes no sense

Just have someone like quil18 slowly explain how the economy works, that's what the vast majority of people are gonna want and need

I have a couple of friends who I want to do multiplayer with, and there still hasn't really been a good video to entice them with

e: one of them actually asked for a guide video to help get ready, but I don't think there's anything I can send them yet? There's the really short intro videos from last week, but they are more like trailers for mechanics than actual explainers.

fuf fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Oct 22, 2022

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

I'd like to introduce you to some of the most special of our rocks and minerals.
Soiled Meat
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iNGpXQIyWms

e: this guy's annoying

Magissima fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Oct 22, 2022

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
https://twitter.com/PDXVictoria/status/1583883425416884224?t=TqCHUqkdMwrreJMwEyd2Sg&s=19

Nice

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

RabidWeasel posted:

CK sold on the back of memes so it’s honestly a strong strat

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

im glad we've gone full circle on the "impossible to play minor nations" thing all the way to "its literally impossible to lose in vicky 3" because of some highly edited videos by people who break these games for a living.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

I dunno where I stand on "memes" but I like content like this!

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Raenir Salazar posted:

I dunno where I stand on "memes"
Want this on my headstone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Poland (Released from Russia)