Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Bruceski posted:

That was my thought as well. I still have the last bit and DLC of the first one to get back to, may as well wait until I do that to see if I feel like more right away.

I've enjoyed what I played of the game, just stepped away and haven't gone back.

I adored the first game, but my plan is to wait for a sale. I played it with my husband. We'd kinda hand the controller off to each other to control different characters. I was Rabbid Peach. He doesn't have a whole lot of time to play games right now, so maybe when it goes on sale we can play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
Wait the rolls in Mario Party are predetermined, and “hitting the dice at the right time” is an illusion?

What the gently caress? What the gently caress??

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Automata 10 Pack posted:

Wait the rolls in Mario Party are predetermined, and “hitting the dice at the right time” is an illusion?

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Automata 10 Pack posted:

Somebody earlier said it was only for the original game and Mario Party DS, chill you dummies

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Automata 10 Pack posted:

That’s only in 1 and DS.

Effectively it’s the same thing as random in normal play anyways, and the predetermined aspect only matters if you’re playing with save states and such.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Fire emblem players had to deal with predetermined rng for years and never went ballistic, what a weird thing to care about

BigDumper
Feb 15, 2008

Hardcore Fire Emblem players have definitely had meltdowns over RNG before

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
lazy devs giving me an rng seed instead of a beautiful rng flower

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
It's still funny when kids are superstitious over games and while they tend to be off the mark, those games genuinely have mechanics so obscure that superstition is as on the mark as any legitimate guess.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

ThatWhiteGuy posted:

Hardcore Fire Emblem players have definitely had meltdowns over RNG before

Yeah, sorry i was unclear. I meant more that the fact you couldnt reset the game to save a character, obvs people get mad when an axe user with 5 hit kills someone

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

It's still funny when kids are superstitious over games and while they tend to be off the mark, those games genuinely have mechanics so obscure that superstition is as on the mark as any legitimate guess.

I don't think there's a single game with online matchmaking where people didn't think the game sometimes "flags them to lose" by deliberately matching them against high rank players

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Were you a kid that mashed the B button when capturing a Pokemon, or did you hold it down?

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Pff, hitting A with the wiggle

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Random rolls or not, I'm not excited to pony up for 4x madcatz to sacrifice on the alter of a game designed to destroy hardware

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

Waffle! posted:

Were you a kid that mashed the B button when capturing a Pokemon, or did you hold it down?

:rolleyes:

You hold A and right while the pokeball is in the air, and then switch to B and down when the pokemon is inside the ball. If you do that it’s like a masterball and always catches the pokemon no matter what. If the pokemon breaks out it means you got the timing wrong.

Shyfted One
May 9, 2008
Sparks of Hope is good. I need to replace Rabbid Peach to make it harder, but her weapon that hits behind cover is so good.

In the 1st I could be super aggressive with Rabbid Luigi and Rabbid Mario because I'd have so much Vampire procced I'd be healing every turn. Don't see any life stealing abilities this time, so it's harder to give up being able to heal a boatload of hp every couple turns.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 39 hours!

Feels Villeneuve posted:

I don't think there's a single game with online matchmaking where people didn't think the game sometimes "flags them to lose" by deliberately matching them against high rank players

this one is absolutely real however

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Looking back on 8 bit mario games, I wonder why Nintendo decided to allow players to warp through the game. It seems odd that they'd want players to bypass the games content, and skip levels that a lot of time and money was spent on creating. Especially with 8 bit game cartridges having such limited capacity for game content.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

it was to have cool secrets to brag about knowing how to do and showing somebody and feeling like you have done a lot in life even though you're small.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Automata 10 Pack posted:

Same as digital slot machines. The result is determined nanoseconds after you've hit spin.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

ChocNitty posted:

Looking back on 8 bit mario games, I wonder why Nintendo decided to allow players to warp through the game. It seems odd that they'd want players to bypass the games content, and skip levels that a lot of time and money was spent on creating. Especially with 8 bit game cartridges having such limited capacity for game content.

They just wanted to give you a way to avoid the Genocide route

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

ChocNitty posted:

you had to beat the games in one sitting back in the day so finding a way to skip ahead to the hard levels was extremely valuable. these secrets were also a lot harder to find at the time when sidescrolling platformers were a brand new concept that players were being introduced to.

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

ChocNitty posted:

In 1988 Billy Presto, age 10, invented speed running by beating Super Mario Bros in 5 minutes before bedtime.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

ChocNitty posted:

I dont think game guides had quite been popularized back then so it would take hours to find any of those secrets, bc a lot of them are the kind of thing that happens on your 10th run thru a level and going "huh wonder if i can get up there"

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

ChocNitty posted:

8 year old me was bad at Mario games and I would've never seen half the levels they spent time creating if they didn't let me cheat to get there

Spellman
May 31, 2011

You can't get the high score in Mario by skipping levels, but you can hop around to the different worlds easily like a primitive form of saves

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Hobo Clown posted:

me bad at Mario games

Dpulex
Feb 26, 2013
Is dankey kang in sparks? Why would they leave out the best character that isn't rabid luigi?

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

What is Mario Party but an inevitable argument?

:hmmyes:

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
tell your uncle at nintendo to release the greatest game, jet force gemini

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Dpulex posted:

Is dankey kang in sparks? Why would they leave out the best character that isn't rabid luigi?

That's an interesting way to spell rabbid cranky

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

ChocNitty posted:

It didn't have passwords or a battery. Alternatively, Mario 2 JP fixed the issue, and punished you for trying to find some of them.

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Friend to Fishes. Just keep swimming.
For those wanting Persona 5 Royal on the switch, it was released yesterday evening/this morning.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Dpulex posted:

I don’t know, but you definitely get Bowser which owns.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

It's amazing how everyone in sparks is completely broken and still feels different than the other characters. I miss friendly fire, though.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
is rabbid luigi still the Great Destroyer

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

He replaced his yoyo with a Frisbee that bounces up to something like 5 or 6 other dudes in a single attack. Also, elemental effects are on demand and attached to equipment so he can set every last one of them on fire at once if he wants to.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

FoolyCharged posted:

He replaced his yoyo with a Frisbee that bounces up to something like 5 or 6 other dudes in a single attack. Also, elemental effects are on demand and attached to equipment so he can set every last one of them on fire at once if he wants to.

Yeah the Sparks mechanic is really great. Game is very good, I love how changing the way you start encounters allowed them to make the maps cool and fun and not just corridors from one fight to the next. I am playing on hard and it’s a pretty good challenge, not absurd like other games I’ve played recently (Xenoblade Chronicles 3).

Edit: my only complaint is that you never get new weapons, only skins, but I guess the Sparks are basically the new weapon system.

Not sure why the game doesn’t have its own thread, I’d make one but :effort:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

ChocNitty posted:

Megawarps are the sole kindness Battletoads gives the player. The snow level with its pixel-perfect final jump can gently caress right off, I need those extra lives for the mines in Surf City :shepface:

Ditto for skipping the life-sink that id Volkmire's Inferno.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Not sure why the game doesn’t have its own thread, I’d make one but :effort:

You don't need an amazing OP to post a thread. Just post.