Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Surrender My Heart is incredible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Go Find Yourself is probably the only ballad of hers I like and its instantly a top 10 overall for me. Joshua Tree outright blows though after the intro.

BigFactory posted:

It’s actually a bad company song.

Ayyyyyyy

Jon Irenicus
Apr 23, 2008

YO ASSHOLE

Joshua Tree is the only song on the album I think isnt good but that's okay cause Anxious and The Loneliest Time slap hard enough to make up for it

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Joshua Tree is great what is this blasphemy.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Comparing Carly's new one to Emotion is dumb cause it's like saying 'aw this is good but it's not the Godfather'

theblackw0lf posted:

How the heck was Anxious just a bonus track? It’s so infectious.

It's my fave new song from the whole album

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

exquisite tea posted:

Joshua Tree is great what is this blasphemy.

The gap in quality between that mid rear end chorus and everything else is massive

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Anti-Hero is great, too.

weekly font posted:

The gap in quality between that mid rear end chorus and everything else is massive

Also it's between Surrender My Heart and Talking To Yourself so it would have to be an instant classic to not just seem bad by comparison.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

weekly font posted:

Totally

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Carly ranking

Surrender My Heart (I legit think it’s Run Away With Me-level)
Talking to Yourself
The Loneliest Time
Go Find Yourself or Whatever (agreed that this is maybe Carly’s best ballad? or at least just after All That)
Bad Thing Twice
Joshua Tree
Beach House (Carly please stop doing spoken word bits. but I love the production)
Anxious
No Thinking Over the Weekend
Western Wind
Far Away
So Nice (considered putting lower for “he’s my cup of tea”)
Shooting Star
Sideways (everything he needs 2.0)
Keep Away
Bends (skippable as hell)

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

I agree that Surrender My Heart is an instant classic but I honestly have a hard time ranking the tracks after that, I think they’re all so strong. Anxious, TLT, Bad Thing Twice and Keep Away all have to be up there too. I have to give the album a few more listens.

I regret that I had to see her in concert before the entire tracklist was released because that “gently caress” in SMH is gonna make people go nuts.

exquisite tea fucked around with this message at 09:43 on Oct 22, 2022

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Anxious might be the best song on the whole album and it's a bonus track lol

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
I wish Taylor Swift would get a new producer. Midnights sounds like great songwriting pushed through a blender and turned into completely uniform mush.

Really enjoying The Loneliest Time. For me there’s an unfortunate run of hard skips in the middle of the album with Bends/Western Wind/So Nice, but other than that it’s pretty great. Surrender My Heart and Talking to Yourself are both CRJ classics.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

peanut- posted:

I wish Taylor Swift would get a new producer. Midnights sounds like great songwriting pushed through a blender and turned into completely uniform mush.

Really enjoying The Loneliest Time. For me there’s an unfortunate run of hard skips in the middle of the album with Bends/Western Wind/So Nice, but other than that it’s pretty great. Surrender My Heart and Talking to Yourself are both CRJ classics.

Thats so weird, because CRJs lovely production is easily the worst part of her thing in my mind. She needs to work with a real producer, she can write songs ok. But I can go listen to Amy Grant or Paula Abdul if I want to hear production like that (I don’t).

New Taylor swift is pretty good though

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Western Wind and Beach House have both grown on me. That said I think this is probably her least tonally consistent album and I can never quite get into its vibe like I can EMOTION or Dedicated. This doesn’t make it bad, I just haven’t entirely settled into it yet.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Western Wind is a song that seems custom made for festivals and open air concerts. It sounds epic live.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
So I guess Bends is TLT's I'll Be Your Girl because I fuckin love that track.

Paperback Writer
May 1, 2006

Lavender Haze is a pretty cool song

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

I think it’s funny that you can see Carly’s gradual acceptance of California in her music. Emotion had LA Hallucinations and for years she hated California until Dedicated Side B when she announced to the world that she didn’t hate California any more, and now she has a California-rear end album with a song called Joshua Tree

growth

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

This ranking

https://twitter.com/TSwiftNZ/status/1583791651352256512?s=20&t=C2fvWpIDhvMvRcjAcVASOg

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Karma should be at the top. It's the only one that's stuck with me since listening to the album the other night haha

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

DC Murderverse posted:

I think it’s funny that you can see Carly’s gradual acceptance of California in her music. Emotion had LA Hallucinations and for years she hated California until Dedicated Side B when she announced to the world that she didn’t hate California any more, and now she has a California-rear end album with a song called Joshua Tree

growth

The same arc as Touche Amore, who are my other favorite musical act.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

drat

https://twitter.com/PopBase/status/1584015540380569600?s=20&t=mvgL0E0UMNxpfrzi5FBd8A

https://twitter.com/PopBase/status/1584011642198577153?s=20&t=mvgL0E0UMNxpfrzi5FBd8A

https://twitter.com/PopBase/status/1583926006997393408?s=20&t=mvgL0E0UMNxpfrzi5FBd8A

https://twitter.com/PopBase/status/1583874887667503104?s=20&t=mvgL0E0UMNxpfrzi5FBd8A

https://twitter.com/PopBase/status/1583866850483453953?s=20&t=mvgL0E0UMNxpfrzi5FBd8A

https://twitter.com/AppleMusic/status/1583639370539884545?s=20&t=mvgL0E0UMNxpfrzi5FBd8A

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

I can tell you why they sold that many vinyl records: she put out like 10 different variants. I bought two because she put them up for sale and then a week later put a color I liked more up for sale. (I’ll probably give the spare to a friend)

Also I do feel like this is the biggest album launch in a while, I think the combination of her still being Taylor Swift and the goodwill built up by releasing two great albums and all of the re-recordings combined with the massive media campaign is gonna put up some real big numbers

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I just realised Vigilante poo poo is really just about being a narc. I guess Karens need their own Billie Eilish song

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
1. 1989
2. Red
3. Speak Now
4. Folklore
5. Reputation
6. Midnights
7. Fearless
8. Lover
9. Evermore
10. Taylor Swift

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Speak Now
Red
Midnights
Lover
Evermore

Never really listened to the first two enough but they’d probably be at the bottom. Reputation owns and idk why but I’ve never been into most of 1989

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

What is wrong with you two Evermore is her best album

1. Evermore
2. Folklore
3. Speak Now
4. Red
5. 1989
6. Midnights
7. Lover
8. Fearless
9. Reputation
10. Taylor Swift

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
At least we all agree on the obvious greatness of Speak Now

When Pigs Cry
Oct 23, 2012
Buglord
Fearless
Speak Now
Red
Lover
Taylor Swift

I don't think I've ever actually gone back to Folklore/Evermore - they're just not what I go to Taylor for. Betty's definitely on my short list though.

kurona_bright
Mar 21, 2013
1. Evermore
2. Folklore
3. Speak Now
4. Lover
5. 1989
6. Red
7. Reputation
8. Fearless
9. Taylor Swift

I’m not definite yet, but Midnights (standard) ranks above Reputation and below Lover for me. 3am edition makes me put it equal/above Lover but probably below folklore

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
You guys don’t like Reputation much, huh?

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

More than anything else, I’m bored by Midnights and I don’t think that’s on Taylor. I think Antonoff has one production trick and it doesn’t work with this navel-gazing, underplayed songwriting style she’s going for. She’s not Lorde. It feels sort of like every single knob on the board was turned down 25% too much and as a result everything feels crushed and monotone.

I’m going to try it again when I get home on better cans but it’s putting me to sleep. Adore “You’re On Your Own, Kid” tho.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I think Antonoff is just a really boring producer and songwriter. I saw Bleachers at Newport Folk it was maybe the only act I've seen in 10 years of going that festival that I actively disliked. It's weird because his track record with Carly is so solid.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Haven't listened to much Bleachers but I do remember liking Don't Take The Money a lot.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

weekly font posted:

More than anything else, I’m bored by Midnights and I don’t think that’s on Taylor. I think Antonoff has one production trick and it doesn’t work with this navel-gazing, underplayed songwriting style she’s going for. She’s not Lorde. It feels sort of like every single knob on the board was turned down 25% too much and as a result everything feels crushed and monotone.

I’m going to try it again when I get home on better cans but it’s putting me to sleep. Adore “You’re On Your Own, Kid” tho.

I’m trying to decide if Taylor went to him and said “Make me a Melodrama” or if this is truly all he’s capable of, because I feel like I’ve heard more out of him working with other artists (that The 1975 album doesn’t sound like this, for example and that came out literally last week) and there are a lot of things here that specifically call back to Melodrama. There’s a Supercut sample, the vocal effect on Midnight Rain is definitely on both albums, I want someone to do a whole breakdown. Needless to say, Midnights is no Melodrama, which still feels fresh and exciting and propulsive 5 years on

Anti-hero on the other hand feels like a clear attempt to make another Blank Space, which is probably why it works so well.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

DC Murderverse posted:

I’m trying to decide if Taylor went to him and said “Make me a Melodrama” or if this is truly all he’s capable of, because I feel like I’ve heard more out of him working with other artists (that The 1975 album doesn’t sound like this, for example and that came out literally last week) and there are a lot of things here that specifically call back to Melodrama. There’s a Supercut sample, the vocal effect on Midnight Rain is definitely on both albums, I want someone to do a whole breakdown. Needless to say, Midnights is no Melodrama, which still feels fresh and exciting and propulsive 5 years on

Anti-hero on the other hand feels like a clear attempt to make another Blank Space, which is probably why it works so well.

I must just be missing the supercut sample. The two songs have the same tempo and the bassline is similar but is it actually a sample? Or is it something else entirely

Anyways, the big difference is that neither midnights or melodrama is as good as solar power, which is the 2nd best album of the 2020s.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
Carly might not be as good as a songwriter as Taylor, but she’s really smart about who she collaborates with.

Also I just listed to Emotion B side for the first time this weekend. drat is that a great album.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

BigFactory posted:

I must just be missing the supercut sample. The two songs have the same tempo and the bassline is similar but is it actually a sample? Or is it something else entirely

I dunno, I heard that a few days ago and filed it away, it’s very possible that person was wrong but I almost think “vibe jacking” is worse in a way, even though it’s just Jack jacking vibes from Jack

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

DC Murderverse posted:

I dunno, I heard that a few days ago and filed it away, it’s very possible that person was wrong but I almost think “vibe jacking” is worse in a way, even though it’s just Jack jacking vibes from Jack

It’s supposed to be mastermind right? I don’t think the songs have a similar vibe at at, just tempo. If there’s an actual sample that would be cool though.

But if you want to say that supercut’s a better song, yeah of course

BigFactory fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Oct 24, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

1. The Taylor Swift Holiday Collection
2. Red
3. Speak Now
4. Fearless
5. Folklore
6. 1989
7. Evermore
8. Reputation
9. Taylor Swift
10. Lover
11. Midnights

+1 on Midnights all sounding very similar. I feel like Antonoff struggles with volume? Melodrama aside, all his own projects and every time he's done a full (or most of) an album it's been pretty spotty. I mean, he's spotty in general but you don't really notice with a single.

BigFactory posted:

Anyways, the big difference is that neither midnights or melodrama is as good as solar power, which is the 2nd best album of the 2020s.

well thats certainly a hornets nest kicking level take