Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!
Reminds me of when I was in film school and 2 of my classmates each exposed two exposed rolls of Kodak 7219. One guy took his hands out of the changing bag twice, and the other guy opened the canister twice (the second time after we told him not to do that again).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

There was a post in a film photo group of a guy opening up the back of his camera to show his grandpa that yes there was indeed film loaded. His grandpa corrected him on this mistake.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Cacator posted:

Just got scans from a roll of Ektachrome shot in a Minolta TC-1 back and holy gently caress are they underexposed. It's probably the camera but I can't justify the cost and temperamentalness of slides anymore. I develop C41 at home and it's so much easier to deal with.

Slides 4 lyfe!!

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

Yeast posted:

When I went to photography college, (15 odd years ago) we were starting our dark room printing unit, and one of the students had taken all of their photographic paper, and put it into a binder 'ready to use' she said as she flicked through it in the class room :golfclap:

Edit: To contribute, I'm looking at a Contax G1 or G2 for a point and shoot/dick around camera. Are there some well known issues/failures I can look out for when I'm buying?

Thanks!

Haha, that's pretty good.

I was eyeing A G1 locally a few months ago; the LCDs can go bad (not unique to the G series) but otherwise they're pretty solid according to reviews. Some of the later lenses don't work on the G1 but it's still a decent camera, worth grabbing at a discount.

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

A friend of mine met Peter Vincent the other day. Feeling very jealous.

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

I was obsessed with the G1 for awhile - 3 bodies all with focus issues cured me of that real quick.

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

I have a G2, it’s a great camera. nippon photoclinic in nyc can repair and adjust Contax gs. They fixed mine a few years back when it had some circuit board failing.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Cacator posted:

Just got scans from a roll of Ektachrome shot in a Minolta TC-1 back and holy gently caress are they underexposed. It's probably the camera but I can't justify the cost and temperamentalness of slides anymore. I develop C41 at home and it's so much easier to deal with.

Welp I just got the slides back and it's a clear cut case of the lab loving up the scans (although a lot of the photos are still on the underexposed side). But if you want something done right you do it yourself.

Cacator fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Aug 17, 2022

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006

Cacator posted:

Welp I just got the slides back and it's a clear cut case of the lab loving up the scans (although a lot of the photos are still on the underexposed side). But if you want something done right you do it yourself.

Pretty much. It’s why I scan all my film and do the post conversions myself. I’ve never been happy with what the lab gives me.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

VoodooXT posted:

Pretty much. It’s why I scan all my film and do the post conversions myself. I’ve never been happy with what the lab gives me.

Normally this is what I would do but I'd figure I'd give the lab a shot since I assumed they'd have better equipment and processing than my ancient V550. I was wrong :negative:

They did offer to rescan them for me and pay for return shipping but I'll see if I can just get a refund instead.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

any lab "processing" will be worse than you doing your own photos by hand

jiffypop45
Dec 30, 2011

bellows lugosi posted:

any lab "processing" will be worse than you doing your own photos by hand

I've definitely noticed this with dark room and more than anything else I think its that you know what you shot so any adjustments after that are going to be best guess on their side vs what you actually saw.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

I've also read that with lab scans, communication/feedback is critical. But yeah, even then, you'll only get a lousy jpg, so if you give even a slight poo poo, buy a refurbished scanner that will pay for itself in ~a year, and have 48 bit tiffs.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
way less than a year.

the store I use charges $13 for 1.6mp scans or $22 for 5.7mp scans for a roll of 35mm

a v550 is about $200, so 9 to 15 rolls to break even.

the pro lab is $20.95 for 6 megabyte files, $30.95 for 18 megabyte files, so 6 to 9 rolls.

LiterallyATomato
Mar 17, 2009

Any Seattle goons have experience with Panda Labs for film development? I have a scanner but I have no interest in learning to develop my own film.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Reviving this thread from the dead, in case anyone wants to buy some expired film - https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3759085&pagenumber=53&perpage=40&userid=0#post526648042

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Anyone used the Cinestill Cs41 dev kit? Good, bad?

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

ImplicitAssembler posted:

Anyone used the Cinestill Cs41 dev kit? Good, bad?

Used it, it works but didn't seem any better than any other powder C41 press kit. I've also used the Kodak Flexicolor chemicals and they're significantly better IMO, separate bleach and fix which both last nearly forever (relatively speaking). More work to mix the chemicals up and harder to find, but if you can buy a 'kit' to make ~5 litres of chemistry you can mix 1L at a time as you need it as the concentrates last a lot longer than the mixed chemicals.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Snagged a Canonet QL17 Giii in great condition off ebay for a very solid price :toot: Just arrived today, and it looks fantastic! Not a single spot on the glass, and the aperture and shutter blades are spotless.

The aperture ring does feel a bit stiff, anyone know a good way to lube it up without having to take the camera apart? Or is that just kind of normal for these? Obviously I could just leave it in shutter priority mode and not need to worry about adjusting the aperture, but still. I looked at the blades and didn't see any evidence of grease or anything, so I doubt they're the problem.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

These things have often sat around for a long time so just moving them can loosen the rings up a bit, but more likely than not there's dried grease making the ring more difficult to move, the only real fix is a CLA.

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

Might look at scrubbing out/replacing the light seals.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

ThePopeOfFun posted:

Might look at scrubbing out/replacing the light seals.

They seem in pretty good condition, I'm guessing they were replaced sometime relatively recently. There's a couple iffy-looking spots but nothing terrible. The camera came with a roll of film so I'll put that through it as a tester since it was free.

Anyone know how to read the serial numbers to tell the date? Googling has led me to believe that the letter code at the start of the serial no. shows you the year it was produced, but the serial number on my camera doesn't include any letters so I'm kind of lost. Some say that you can find it after opening the film back, but I've looked all over with a flashlight and can't see anything. The number on the back of the film door is 798697, and is one of the ones made in Japan rather than Taiwan.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Oh yeah, the camera also came with a skylight filter. Never used one, are they particularly necessary with modern film? I mostly shoot during the day, landscapes and occasionally street. I know canonet lenses are very sharp so I don't want some cheapo filter to mess with that, but I also know the coating on the lenses aren't fantastic so the extra protection wouldn't be awful.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
How many of you are on the new Leica M6 waiting list? I remember some rumours emerging in 2020 I believe about a new “cheap” film Leica. Well here it finally is for the small price of €5,050 / $5,295 / £4,500.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
I got a canon a-1 a few years ago because I was easily influenced by the technology connection video on his canon f-1 and it looked fun. Just got a roll of black & white back back recently and man getting shots of the moon is difficult. I tried to get some on the very first roll I shot using just the cameras exposure meter with predictable results. This one turned out pretty swell though!

Photographing birds is way more difficult than I expected though. Need a hell of a lot more zoom.

jiffypop45
Dec 30, 2011

Xabi posted:

How many of you are on the new Leica M6 waiting list? I remember some rumours emerging in 2020 I believe about a new “cheap” film Leica. Well here it finally is for the small price of €5,050 / $5,295 / £4,500.

Will this make used less expensive or will the prices go up further because everyone thinks now is the time to buy.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Sultan Tarquin posted:

I got a canon a-1 a few years ago because I was easily influenced by the technology connection video on his canon f-1 and it looked fun. Just got a roll of black & white back back recently and man getting shots of the moon is difficult. I tried to get some on the very first roll I shot using just the cameras exposure meter with predictable results. This one turned out pretty swell though!

The good news is that lots of people already have taken very complete and comprehensive photos of the moon, famous buildings and lighthouses, homeless people, expensive cars, etc so you're free to go and take photos that are unique and individual to yourself which express something about you as a person!

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

Xabi posted:

Aren't there only 500 of them? Clearly meant as a collector's piece I think. I'll likely pick up an M mount rangefinder next year but there's plenty of fish in the sea.

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

Cacator posted:

Aren't there only 500 of them? Clearly meant as a collector's piece I think. I'll likely pick up an M mount rangefinder next year but there's plenty of fish in the sea.

I was folks reporting that Leica is saying this isn't going to be a limited edition, but I forget what they were getting it from. A rep's statement maybe?

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006

Cacator posted:

I think the 500 limited number was just speculation from the Leica Rumors people, same with its supposed 'entry-level' price. The $5k price tag just gave an upper limit to used M6s now so I'm imagining that used M6s are going to go north of 3k fairly soon. :lol:

Twenties Superstar
Oct 24, 2005

sugoi
No way in hell are they only making 500 for that price

Ziggy Smalls
May 24, 2008

If pain's what you
want in a man,
Pain I can do
The image I have of every Leica owner/collector is Jon Favreau when he was interviewed years ago on the Daily Show and he had his Monochrom with him. He just had to tell Jon Stewart that it only took black and white images despite being digital.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

Sultan Tarquin posted:

I got a canon a-1 a few years ago because I was easily influenced by the technology connection video on his canon f-1 and it looked fun. Just got a roll of black & white back back recently and man getting shots of the moon is difficult. I tried to get some on the very first roll I shot using just the cameras exposure meter with predictable results.

Two things about the moon (apart from the things that VelociBacon said):
1: It moves faster than you think it does. Shoot it at 1/250s or faster.
2: Lightmeters which use reflected light (which is all of the ones built into cameras) cannot meter the moon reliably because the moon is very bright and the rest of the scene is only lit by reflected moonlight. Luckily, you don't have to go to the moon with an incident meter to figure out how to meter for it, you can use the Sunny16 rule because the moon is lit by full sunlight.

Helen Highwater fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Oct 23, 2022

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Helen Highwater posted:

Two things about the moon (apart from the things that VelociBacon said):
1: It moves faster than you think it does. Shoot it at 1/250s or faster.
2: Lightmeters which use reflected light (which is all of the ones built into cameras) cannot meter the moon reliably because the moon is very bright and the rest of the scene is only lit by reflected moonlight. Luckily, you don't have to go to the moon with an incident meter to figure out how to meter for it, you can use the Sunny16 rule because the moon is lit by full sunlight.

... and as you zoom in to resolve surface detail, you'll find the full moon to be a boring and flat subject. So shoot it any other phase if you want some drama.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

1/250 for the moon? Thats the dumbest loving thing I’ve ever heard in my entire life

1/25 would be pushing it even

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

Wild EEPROM posted:

1/250 for the moon? Thats the dumbest loving thing I’ve ever heard in my entire life

1/25 would be pushing it even

Tell me you've never shot with a long lens without telling me you've never shot with a long lens.

At any amount of reach that frames the moon reasonably tightly, you can watch it visibly stroll across your viewfinder.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

how's 600mm on a crop sensor sound?

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Let's assume the moon is stationary with respect to background stars, so it moves 360 degrees per 24 hours = 15 degrees per hour = 15 arcsec per second or 0.6 arcsec in 1/25 seconds.

A 6-um-pixel-sized sensor with a 600 mm lens gives a pixel resolution of 2 arcsec per pixel, so that 0.6 arcsec motion should not cause that much blur.

Different focal lengths and pixel sizes will change all of this, but keep in mind that the moon is not always at the celestial equator where its motion will appear fastest.

Edit: In the example above, if 1/25 s gives blur and the camera was rock solid, then a turbulent atmosphere is a possible culprit.

theHUNGERian fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Oct 25, 2022

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

i can help you take a picture of my full moon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

VelociBacon posted:

The good news is that lots of people already have taken very complete and comprehensive photos of the moon, famous buildings and lighthouses, homeless people, expensive cars, etc so you're free to go and take photos that are unique and individual to yourself which express something about you as a person!

The judge said I have to knock it off with the dick pics though.