Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

anothergod
Apr 11, 2016

Fedule posted:

I'm going to die mad about "Air" meaning something different in every product line it shows up in.

Air just means "somewhere between base and Pro".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

anothergod posted:

Air just means "somewhere between base and Pro".

What’s under the MacBook Air?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

MarcusSA posted:

What’s under the MacBook Air?

Touch Bar MBP.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Fedule posted:

I'm going to die mad about "Air" meaning something different in every product line it shows up in.
My thing is being mad that every product category has a different range of colour options. I should be able to get an iMac, iPhone, iPad and Apple Watch in colour-matched blue if I want!

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Or Midnight so I can leave my personal smudges on all of my equipment so no one else will be brave enough to pick them up

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Arivia posted:

Touch Bar MBP.

It’s $100 more though :confused:

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

BobHoward posted:

What makes you think Apple support for Vulkan would accomplish that, even to the tiniest degree?

Vulkan support = more gamers who could be enticed to buy a 14-16" MacBook Pro that can play their entire Steam Deck library on it without issue.

anothergod
Apr 11, 2016

MarcusSA posted:

It’s $100 more though :confused:

That's the joke or are you playing along?

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

hi, I have this MBA

https://everymac.com/systems/apple/macbook-air/specs/macbook-air-core-i5-1.8-13-2017-specs.html#macspecs1

I was thinking about getting a 4k external monitor. it says

quote:

2nd Display Support: Dual/Mirroring* 2nd Max. Resolution: 3840x2160 (4K)*
Details: *Although Apple originally only reported that this model could support a single external display up to 2560x1600, third-parties discovered that it actually could support a 3840x2160 (4K) display, and Apple subsequently revised their official documentation to confirm this, as well.

however i typically use the laptop screen at the same time as a small secondary display. wouldn't that be really weird to have one monitor that is 1440x900, and the other is 4K? would I need to basically not use the macbook display at all, or get a different mba with a 4k resolution?

I currently have a 1080p external monitor, which I understand is 1920x1080, so not the same as my mba, so maybe it wouldn't be so strange?

looking some more, I guess there are no MBAs with a 4k native resolution, I'm guessing because of the screen size (?). The highest resolution I see is the retina ones with 2560x1600. i guess this is just not a thing on mac laptops at all.

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Oct 22, 2022

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Why would that be weird? As long as you’re not mirroring displays it just runs each at an independent resolution, just like any pc with dual monitors.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

FCKGW posted:

Why would that be weird? As long as you’re not mirroring displays it just runs each at an independent resolution, just like any pc with dual monitors.

yeah you're right, I don't know, i'm old

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Binary Badger posted:

More like the Mac category could use more refreshes.. M2 Mac Mini, Mx based Mac Pro still nowhere in sight, ditto for 27-inch Mx based iMac

The fact that the Mac Pro is still running Xeon’s bodes well for those of us with newer intel macs

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

btw how does the mini display port work with a monitor that also has display port? do you still need a mini display port to HDMI adapter or do you only need one cable?

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Badly Jester posted:

As for why Apple supporting Vulkan might affect Nvidia: while Nvidia begrudgingly contributes to Vulkan, it's obvious that AMD is currently the biggest contributor that is pushing for open standards. Just compare the GPU driver situation (and thus Vulkan support) on Linux.

Even if Apple did nothing but increase the install base of Vulkan, Nvidia's main competitor would gain clout which they could use to play to their strengths. By not adopting it, they're just splitting the small but emerging part of the market that doesn't look to Nvidia as the default, thus entrenching Nvidia's position further.

The most important segment of the computer gaming market is PCs running Windows, where DirectX dominates because it's what Microsoft supports and everything else is almost irrelevant. Back when GL was the open standards API in the same position Vulkan occupies now, Apple's support for it did essentially nothing to promote GL over DX, much less help AMD or hurt Nvidia. I just don't see any reason to think things are substantially different now.

AMD's big problem isn't lack of Vulkan adoption, it's that their software and hardware is seldom able to compete with Nvidia. Apple cannot fix that.

Gay Retard posted:

Vulkan support = more gamers who could be enticed to buy a 14-16" MacBook Pro that can play their entire Steam Deck library on it without issue.

You're missing a few steps there. How does Apple Vulkan support translate into Steam Deck titles magically running on M1 Mac? Without issue?

(if you picked up the impression somewhere that it's literally the only thing in the way, it very much is not. What's needed is Valve committing engineering resources to developing a version of Proton targeting Apple platform APIs rather than Linux. The 3D API is only part of Proton, Apple support for Vulkan wouldn't make it trivial. They'd also have to figure out how to make it all work well under Rosetta 2.)

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I have a steam deck and proton is literally like magic.

It’s incredibly impressive what they’ve done.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

actionjackson posted:

btw how does the mini display port work with a monitor that also has display port? do you still need a mini display port to HDMI adapter or do you only need one cable?

You could do it with a Mini DisplayPort to DisplayPort cable. I’d recommend it because you plan on hooking a PS4 up to your monitor you said over yonder.

Link to one example: https://smile.amazon.com/Cable-Matt...ps%2C125&sr=8-8

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

nitsuga posted:

You could do it with a Mini DisplayPort to DisplayPort cable. I’d recommend it because you plan on hooking a PS4 up to your monitor you said over yonder.

Link to one example: https://smile.amazon.com/Cable-Matt...ps%2C125&sr=8-8

thanks, i was just curious. right now i just unplug the hdmi cable from the adapter and plug it into the ps4 when I want to use it, which seems to work fine. I only have my ps4 out when playing, otherwise it's in storage.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

In that case I would get a Mini DisplayPort to HDMI adapter. No need to switch things on both sides.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

nitsuga posted:

In that case I would get a Mini DisplayPort to HDMI adapter. No need to switch things on both sides.

right, that's what i have right now, and it's 4k compatible. thanks for the info.

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

BobHoward posted:

The most important segment of the computer gaming market is PCs running Windows, where DirectX dominates because it's what Microsoft supports and everything else is almost irrelevant. Back when GL was the open standards API in the same position Vulkan occupies now, Apple's support for it did essentially nothing to promote GL over DX, much less help AMD or hurt Nvidia. I just don't see any reason to think things are substantially different now.

AMD's big problem isn't lack of Vulkan adoption, it's that their software and hardware is seldom able to compete with Nvidia. Apple cannot fix that.

You're missing a few steps there. How does Apple Vulkan support translate into Steam Deck titles magically running on M1 Mac? Without issue?

(if you picked up the impression somewhere that it's literally the only thing in the way, it very much is not. What's needed is Valve committing engineering resources to developing a version of Proton targeting Apple platform APIs rather than Linux. The 3D API is only part of Proton, Apple support for Vulkan wouldn't make it trivial. They'd also have to figure out how to make it all work well under Rosetta 2.)

Every few years people get excited that AAA gaming might come to MacOS. It always ends the same, as it will now. Apple is already HUGE in the gaming space they care about : Mobile games. As this post points out, there's no-one with skin in the game who would/will fund gaming on MacOS. It's not going to happen.

Criss-cross
Jun 14, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
Apple insisting on only supporting their own extra-special libraries certainly doesn't help, it's not a constant of nature.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

squirrelzipper posted:

Every few years people get excited that AAA gaming might come to MacOS

These people are idiots

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.
Ahhhhh my 27" external monitor just poo poo the bed, so I bit the bullet & ordered a Studio Display. It arrives Tuesday, so I'll get to see what all the hullabaloo is about. I'm upgrading my 2018 MBP next year, so probably by Spring I'll have a totally new workspace.

BTW, are there any limitations using it with the Intel MBP?

Lincoln fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Oct 22, 2022

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Criss-cross posted:

Apple insisting on only supporting their own extra-special libraries certainly doesn't help, it's not a constant of nature.

Is there some large segment of PC gamers I don't know of who are just chomping at the bit to get a Mac if only their games would run? My impression of PC gamers is that most still say Crapple and think Macs can't right click.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

"Mac Gamers" just buy an xbox like normal people

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

carry on then posted:

Is there some large segment of PC gamers I don't know of who are just chomping at the bit to get a Mac if only their games would run? My impression of PC gamers is that most still say Crapple and think Macs can't right click.

I made the switch in May. Haven’t been happier and never going back to windows. (I’m well aware of the limitations of Mac gaming and I made the jump in spite of them).

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
How is RE8 on Mac being distributed? On the App Store where Apple gets a nice chunk of it? Seems like they’re in bed on the marketing side at least. Are there any Apple silicon games on Steam? Are they just listed as regular Mac games with M1 hidden away in the system requirements?

American McGay fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Oct 22, 2022

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
I'd never touch Windows again if Mac gaming was more of a thing

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
I just have a Mac for everything but gaming and a PC that’s just for gaming.

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

American McGay posted:

How is RE8 on Mac being distributed? On the App Store where Apple gets a nice chunk of it? Seems like they’re in bed on the marketing side at least. Are there any Apple silicon games on Steam? Are they just listed as regular Mac games with M1 hidden away in the system requirements?

There’s a few, Baldurs Gate III is AS, so is Gloomhaveb, but yeah they’re just listed as Mac games.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

AlternateAccount posted:

I just have a Mac for everything but gaming and a PC that’s just for gaming.

As a lifelong Mac user, the Steam Deck has given me access so many PC games

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

eddiewalker posted:

As a lifelong Mac user, the Steam Deck has given me access so many PC games

I am far, far too old to stare down at a screen that way.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

just get a console

there's something ludicrous about picturing a maxed out mac studio struggling to play a modern game at an apple display resolution with fans at full blast

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Openemu is all the gaming you need, hopefully it gets Apple Silicon support eventually

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

shrike82 posted:

just get a console

there's something ludicrous about picturing a maxed out mac studio struggling to play a modern game at an apple display resolution with fans at full blast

World of Warcraft is amazing on my Apple studio display and Mac studio. There are plenty of game genres that don’t work well on consoles; and even ones that do will always be better with a mouse and keyboard.

Also, Apple: please for gently caress sake fix your auto correct so that I can actually type Mac Studio without it trying to correct it to Max Studio it’s your own product this is embarrassing.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

AlternateAccount posted:

I am far, far too old to stare down at a screen that way.

It can output to a display over USB-C, is compatible with a bunch of existing docks, and supports bluetooth controllers, so it is super easy to hook up to your existing setup.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

101 posted:

I'd never touch Windows again if Mac gaming was more of a thing

yeah, my vibe is the demand for mac gaming is so current customers dont have to switch constantly lol

it is also my feeling

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

The Lord Bude posted:

World of Warcraft is amazing on my Apple studio display and Mac studio. There are plenty of game genres that don’t work well on consoles; and even ones that do will always be better with a mouse and keyboard.

Also, Apple: please for gently caress sake fix your auto correct so that I can actually type Mac Studio without it trying to correct it to Max Studio it’s your own product this is embarrassing.

There are games that work well on MacOS. I play FFXIV on mine. It's not even native but it runs well with community tools. This does not make MacOS a decent gaming platform. It isn't. For AAA I have a Playstation.This is the disconnect that always happens - Macs can play some games well but they are not capable of playing games in general well. There's this endless undercurrent of 'maybe one day Macs will game well' that has been going on for over a decade (e; over 2 decades that I've been amac user oh god) - they won't because the people who could make that happen have no incentive to do so. Get a Xbox/PC/PS if you want to game and enjoy the other poo poo your Mac does really well. WoW is not a good example here. Hell, even Blizzard - who used to make Mac versions of everything they shipped - left Diablo III and Overwatch off the Mac. The Switch has more AAA titles. C'mon folks.

squirrelzipper fucked around with this message at 09:36 on Oct 23, 2022

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

It’s good enough for my needs. AAA games have been a creatively bankrupt void of blandness for a very long time. I have zero interest in the latest generic shooter or battle Royale game. Macs tend to get a decent selection of good RPGs, building and simulation games, turn based strategy. I’m happy. Lots of good indie games. Plus I’m absolutely astounded at what you can do in parallels and crossover and that covers the rest of my needs. So much of what I play these days is indie stuff without super demanding graphics requirements because that’s where the actual creativity is now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Pure copium

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)