Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Ugh I'm getting a migraine just looking at this.

Seriously, the reason I bought my first HD tv (50 inch plasma baybee thing weighed like 150 pounds) was because trying to play MGS4 on a CRT made me feel like an icepick was piercing my temple after 10 minutes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored
Literally everything about Inscryption. If this isn’t game of the year I don’t know what is. Holy poo poo.

Really sucks that there’s no real way to talk about why it’s so amazing without ruining it for others and to do so would be criminal. I don’t think a game has ever shocked me as much as this has. It’s amazing. Please play inscryption. It just came out on consoles for like $20 and it’s worth every penny.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Frank Frank posted:

Literally everything about Inscryption. If this isn’t game of the year I don’t know what is. Holy poo poo.

Really sucks that there’s no real way to talk about why it’s so amazing without ruining it for others and to do so would be criminal. I don’t think a game has ever shocked me as much as this has. It’s amazing. Please play inscryption. It just came out on consoles for like $20 and it’s worth every penny.
This review is intense as gently caress.

Made me look up a little info and i’ll add it here:

Devolver Digital of Hotline Miami, Enter the Gungeon, apparently 300 Serious Sam games, Shadow Warrior

Roguelike, card-based

Found footage (?? or !!)

Game within a game or something

I’m intrigued.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

SLOSifl posted:

Devolver Digital of Hotline Miami, Enter the Gungeon, apparently 300 Serious Sam games, Shadow Warrior

i should note that devolver is a publisher, not a developer; they've got some good games under their umbrella but they're not the people making the games

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

SLOSifl posted:

This review is intense as gently caress.

Made me look up a little info and i’ll add it here:

Roguelike, card-based

Found footage (?? or !!)

Game within a game or something

I’m intrigued.

Don’t read anything about it until you have played it.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

I liked the concept of Inscryption but the core gameplay frustrated me. As very interesting as the game is, at its core it is still a roguelike deckbuilder so keep that in mind if you want to play it. That said, even someone like me who really dislikes the genre managed to play through all of it.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

flatluigi posted:

i should note that devolver is a publisher, not a developer; they've got some good games under their umbrella but they're not the people making the games

Frank Frank posted:

Don’t read anything about it until you have played it.
My man. I’m not even trying to make sense of wikipedia.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
its a good game

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Stop saying its name, you're already talking about it too much.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
inscryption is a shortish game and works best if you let it surprise you with the places it goes. the previous two games daniel mullins made, the hex and pony island, also have a bunch of deeper hidden things and secret paths/endings in them and even if i think they're really not as good as inscryption i'd recommend them if you like inscryption's vibes

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe
Inscryption was a great experience, but kind of a lovely game. The card game wears out is welcome fast.

BIG SPOILER:

I liked the thematic thrust of the beast deck of ritualistic and animalistic sacrifice, but the other decks felt bland and less thought out in comparison. I bailed on act 3 because the robot deck didn't have that thematic weight and wasn't fun enough to make up for it.

Everything about the rest of the game was fantastic, though.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

OutOfPrint posted:

Inscryption was a great experience, but kind of a lovely game. The card game wears out is welcome fast.

BIG SPOILER:

I liked the thematic thrust of the beast deck of ritualistic and animalistic sacrifice, but the other decks felt bland and less thought out in comparison. I bailed on act 3 because the robot deck didn't have that thematic weight and wasn't fun enough to make up for it.

Everything about the rest of the game was fantastic, though.

That's interesting, most people tend to like the card game and wanted more of it than was actually in the original game. Which was why there was that whole free DLC with the new mode.

EQUALLY BIG SPOILER
The way the other three deck mechanics are less thematic is itself thematic! As we zoom out from Leshy's Storytime Adventure and get back to the actual card game video game, you get introduced to these new resource types that are much more mechanically interesting than thematically. Bones are all about economy management, since you can't meaningfully fund a bone deck from deths alone. Gems are about opportunity cost, since you need to put cruft in your limited lanes to summon anything. Energy is about timing, since you need enough turns to pass to be able to play your strong cards. They've all got a lot of mechanical potential (that sadly doesn't quite get born out in the amount of game we get), which highlights more that this was a trading card game tie-in.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Inscryption to me did have mechanical problems but it was so interesting I didn't care

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
I played a few minutes into Inscryption and didn't care that much about it. I like card based uhhh whatever this is, generally. It just didn't intrigue me very much.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

credburn posted:

I played a few minutes into Inscryption and didn't care that much about it. I like card based uhhh whatever this is, generally. It just didn't intrigue me very much.

I'm not a big fan of card games either but the weird creepy vibe got me hooked and you really need to keep playing it. There's a payoff

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
In the new Saints Row, there's a citywide LARP you're introduced to and get to participate in. For this, you get to use specific fake weapons that cause people to act out their deaths, instead of actually killing them.

There's an activity you can do in game where you take bounties, and one of them is specifically about beef between two people in the LARP. When you eliminate that target, the pop-up banner has quotation marks around 'KILLED'. Had me laughing.

Oh, also, you can initiate a takedown on opponents with an unshielded health bar to instantly eliminate them and get back health. But when you're in LARP mode, the Boss just does something like fake-punching the target a bunch instead. There's a lot of stuff I'm actuality finding appealing in the game to me specifically, more than I expected, and I'm very pleased as a result.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Just learned that in Tunic there is (a very, very minor spoiler that isn't related to mechanics or story) a way to translate the tones of the game into language. For example, when you select a new game it makes a little trill of notes right as it fades to white. This is the tone combination for 'new'. Like.... what.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
i'd disagree that it's a minor spoiler but i do think that unless you're in the community that discovered it in the first place you're unlikely to discover it on your own. it's still really cool, and almost every melody in the game including the soundtrack has messages in it

my favorite is that the bells go DING and DONG

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Gotham Knights has an arcade game in it and on that arcade game is Spy Hunter and you can just play Spy Hunter.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Morpheus posted:

Just learned that in Tunic there is (a very, very minor spoiler that isn't related to mechanics or story) a way to translate the tones of the game into language. For example, when you select a new game it makes a little trill of notes right as it fades to white. This is the tone combination for 'new'. Like.... what.

flatluigi posted:

i'd disagree that it's a minor spoiler but i do think that unless you're in the community that discovered it in the first place you're unlikely to discover it on your own. it's still really cool, and almost every melody in the game including the soundtrack has messages in it

my favorite is that the bells go DING and DONG

:wtc:

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

graybook posted:

In the new Saints Row, there's a citywide LARP you're introduced to and get to participate in. For this, you get to use specific fake weapons that cause people to act out their deaths, instead of actually killing them.

There's an activity you can do in game where you take bounties, and one of them is specifically about beef between two people in the LARP. When you eliminate that target, the pop-up banner has quotation marks around 'KILLED'. Had me laughing.

Oh, also, you can initiate a takedown on opponents with an unshielded health bar to instantly eliminate them and get back health. But when you're in LARP mode, the Boss just does something like fake-punching the target a bunch instead. There's a lot of stuff I'm actuality finding appealing in the game to me specifically, more than I expected, and I'm very pleased as a result.

You can use the LARP weapons during regular missions / freeroam if you want. They still "kill" people.

The character customizer is the best and most-inclusive I've seen yet.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Saint Row: The Boss is a psychopathic personchild, but actually cares about their friends. Tell the boss that you need help grinding in your LARP or that you want a re-release of a toy that you missed out on as a child because you were in foster care, and they WILL move Heaven and Earth to help you. A nice change of pace from the GTA games where the main characters have to be dragged kicking and screaming into helping their friends.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

Randalor posted:

Saint Row: The Boss is a psychopathic personchild, but actually cares about their friends. Tell the boss that you need help grinding in your LARP or that you want a re-release of a toy that you missed out on as a child because you were in foster care, and they WILL move Heaven and Earth to help you. A nice change of pace from the GTA games where the main characters have to be dragged kicking and screaming into helping their friends.

I do actually appreciate the level of acceptance and affirmation the core cast displays. And it's great to see how much the Boss ends up getting into the spirit of the LARP.

Silentgoldfish
Nov 5, 2008
I'm playing Uncharted 4 since it released on the PC. I've never played an Uncharted game before since I've never had a playstation.

It does a great job of giving me an illusion of choice. I'm sure on replay it'd be obvious but in the scripted action sequences I keep doing things that are obviously forced in hindsight but at the time seem like they were one of a bunch of available actions. It's like the final puzzle solution in Portal 2 but repeatedly.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
"One solution, figure out how to accomplish it" is a good school of puzzle design imo. People give the method crap for keeping the player from making mistakes that weren't also pre-planned, but do you really want to spend extra time undoing your own mistakes to try again if you have to actually run around in the puzzle?

edit: Portal 1 has one such puzzle, one of the hardmode ones involving the rolling balls. You can get one of the balls "trapped" in the puzzle such that you COULD get it out but it'd be so annoying that Glados just opens a glass panel so it rolls out and lets you try again. I think you got a cheevo for it back in the day because it was so rare to render a Portal puzzle incompletable. You could also dissolve a cube you need to place on one of the very first buttons in the game and still have time to haul rear end to the elevator before it closes, but they never gave her a response for it!

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 21:38 on Oct 23, 2022

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
The cheevo was for getting yourself stuck, I think in the exact same (non-challenge) puzzle. They just reused the failsafe. ...If it even was a cheevo at all rather than an Easter egg of sorts.

Edit: Ah, not a cheevo on PC, is a cheevo on console. :ms:

John Murdoch has a new favorite as of 18:28 on Oct 23, 2022

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
There's a pretty funny optional conversation in Tales of Berseria where Velvet messes with a Priest by confessing everything she's done in the game so far, most of it highly illegal and very heartless.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

John Murdoch posted:

The cheevo was for getting yourself stuck, I think in the exact same (non-challenge) puzzle. They just reused the failsafe. ...If it even was a cheevo at all rather than an Easter egg of sorts.

Edit: Ah, not a cheevo on PC, is a cheevo on console. :ms:

using achievements or similar things as workarounds for failures is pretty cute. disco elysium's Palerunner achievement is awarded for getting the player character stuck and triggering the failsafe teleport. one of the genesis sonic games would respond to crashes by sending you to some debug menu (sound test maybe?). there are probably lots of others I don't know about.

on a similar topic, noted incredible game outer wilds almost had something like this. the physics simulation that underlies the game fudges calculations on faraway planets to save on resources since you'd never notice anyway. it only does the really heavy work in areas near the player, near the player's space ship, or near the player-launchable probe. enterprising mischief-makers will deduce that you can make the game chug and likely crash by having each of those entities on three separate planets, forcing it to run detailed physics calculations for all three. the developers were going to put in an achievement for doing this called "Critical Performance Hit," but their publisher yelled at them that they couldn't reward players for crashing the game

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
horror game Madison gives you the option to mute the protagonist’s lines but keep the subtitles, which is much appreciated because nothing breaks my immersion like some weepy high school theatre alumnus commenting on every spooky occurrence

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

BioEnchanted posted:

There's a pretty funny optional conversation in Tales of Berseria where Velvet messes with a Priest by confessing everything she's done in the game so far, most of it highly illegal and very heartless.

That priest eventually has dialogues with every party member and they’re mostly somehow even better than that, especially Laphicet’s.

Hector Delgado
Sep 23, 2007

Time for shore leave!!

Oxxidation posted:

horror game Madison gives you the option to mute the protagonist’s lines but keep the subtitles, which is much appreciated because nothing breaks my immersion like some weepy high school theatre alumnus commenting on every spooky occurrence

I tried it like that but found the subtitles too small, turned him back on and ended up liking the voice. Convincing mix of confusion and terror in the performance but that could just be me.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Cyberpunk is (almost too) full of references to various other scifi and the vehicle handling is...spotty at best. However, riding a motorcycle and tapping the e-brake in a turn will pretty easily put you into the iconic Akria bike slide. Whether it's a direct homage, or bad physics or some combination of the two it loving owns.

I can't seem to capture a decent screenshot of me doing it, so please enjoy this related video instead

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A9hCzjBc7Q4

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

a kitten posted:

Cyberpunk is (almost too) full of references to various other scifi and the vehicle handling is...spotty at best. However, riding a motorcycle and tapping the e-brake in a turn will pretty easily put you into the iconic Akria bike slide. Whether it's a direct homage, or bad physics or some combination of the two it loving owns.

I can't seem to capture a decent screenshot of me doing it, so please enjoy this related video instead

The driving physics are mostly awful but the little car you get for starting with the nomad background is awesome. Just the right amount of drift, I could drive that thing around all day: it's great fun.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
There are some interesting "Tough enemies" in Tales of Berseria that are neat because of what they give you. They are 10 guys that give unique upgrades for the gameplay itself, like the first one I came across and kind of did by accident gave me the ability to recover in the air, and one of them unlocks a new difficulty.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

a kitten posted:

Seeing as one of the motorcycles is a knock off of Tetsuo's bike it was probably on purpose.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

It's Kaneda's bike :colbert:

But you're right; I think I just wanted to sneak in a gripe about how unfun I find the vehicles aside from the motorcycles

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

a kitten posted:

But you're right, I think I just wanted to sneak in a gripe about how unfun I find the vehicles aside from the motorcycles

:hmmyes:

I was fully prepared to run around everywhere on foot until my first motorcycle showed up.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Captain Hygiene posted:

:hmmyes:

I was fully prepared to run around everywhere on foot until my first motorcycle showed up.

:same:, but real-life.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
Astroneer feels like an automation game for babies in a lot of ways, but it does allow you to make an exploration rover with wind generators slotted where batteries would normally be for infinite power.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Roblo posted:

The driving physics are mostly awful but the little car you get for starting with the nomad background is awesome. Just the right amount of drift, I could drive that thing around all day: it's great fun.
The Nomad cars felt the best to drive. I'd always pinch one of them from an area if I could.