Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

iTrust posted:

being placed in bronze as support when you were Plat/Diamond in OW1 is Fucked

how is this enjoyable in any capacity

Despite how different the game is, you'll climb out pretty quick if you were playing around Plat/Diamond tier comp in OW1, even if you placed in Bronze in OW2. Related, guess my brother took what I said to heart about improving lol and is going on a win streak atm. He's ranked up to a season high Gold 3 now after having deranked to Gold 5. We won 3 straight just now, giving him a 7-4 record when turning in his 77th win on DPS queue.

teagone fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Oct 23, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Did they make Moira more Irish? I don't remember the accent the last time I played. It's more pronounced. Or my memory is bad.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

No but they made everyone else less Irish so it sticks out more.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Scholtz posted:

No but they made everyone else less Irish so it sticks out more.

Hmm, that makes sense.

SadisTech
Jun 26, 2013

Clem.
I've been playing a fair bit of Sojourn and she is ludicrously OP.

Also the scoreboard is good but I'm really annoyed that they've still kept the choice to obfuscate stats as much as possible. Getting any game info about the game you *just played* is awful, to the extent that you even can.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
No, Genji, I'm not going to dive way past the robot into the enemy team to heal you while you try to 1v5 them, no matter how many times you spam "I need healing."

No, it's not the team's fault for you not getting healing when you're a million miles away from your own team/the objective.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

SadisTech posted:

I've been playing a fair bit of Sojourn and she is ludicrously OP.

Also the scoreboard is good but I'm really annoyed that they've still kept the choice to obfuscate stats as much as possible. Getting any game info about the game you *just played* is awful, to the extent that you even can.

Welcome to Blizzard horseshoe theory on toxicity in gaming culture.

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

No, Genji, I'm not going to dive way past the robot into the enemy team to heal you while you try to 1v5 them, no matter how many times you spam "I need healing."

No, it's not the team's fault for you not getting healing when you're a million miles away from your own team/the objective.

Glad to see the meme is back in full effect after a long hiatus.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
I think perhaps the weightlifting war criminal needs a nerf

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Doomfist is on that list so it's clearly doomfist we need to nerf

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

SadisTech posted:

It's incredible how they wanted to remove things because stats apparently cause toxicity and the game just gets more and more toxic the less stats they show.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

I just lost a billion tank games in a row and it just loving sucks, I should probably stop attempting to grind for cheevs

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

dogstile posted:

It's incredible how they wanted to remove things because stats apparently cause toxicity and the game just gets more and more toxic the less stats they show.

The scoreboard has been toxicity ammo since day 1 for the constant “X diff” or making GBS threads on a teammate for damage/healing/elims or whatever else.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
A bunch of people would rather lose with an excuse than win imo

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Given what a pain it is to input text into the console it should just auto-ban anyone who does is since it’s toxic 100% of the time.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Did they ever add chat to hearthstone? A turn based game with a lot of downtime meant to simulate playing cards in a tavern but you literally weren’t allowed to chat lol. Guess that says a lot about that genre, but still surprising that a game like OW has anything beyond team chat at all.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Bottom Liner posted:

The scoreboard has been toxicity ammo since day 1 for the constant “X diff” or making GBS threads on a teammate for damage/healing/elims or whatever else.

If someone is gonna be a toxic piece of poo poo, I don't think the scoreboard not being there is gonna prevent it. They are still going to be a toxic piece of poo poo.

That's why its one of those Blizzard unequivocally has their heads up their asses things when it comes to the decision to hide stats and profiles etc to prevent people from being toxic.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

BabyRyoga posted:

If someone is gonna be a toxic piece of poo poo, I don't think the scoreboard not being there is gonna prevent it. They are still going to be a toxic piece of poo poo.

Yes, the post I was replying to was saying the opposite, that the game is more toxic without it. It’s not. It’s always toxic. The scoreboard enables a new form.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
I like that it shows you explicitly and only your stats because I imagine someone in a dark room somewhere being really mad that they can't go back and look at how bad that one Mercy was in that game they played six weeks ago.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
I'd rather someone talk about diffs and who has or doesn't have gold damage than going on racist, sexist, or homophobic rants.

Spanish Matlock posted:

I like that it shows you explicitly and only your stats because I imagine someone in a dark room somewhere being really mad that they can't go back and look at how bad that one Mercy was in that game they played six weeks ago.

Yeah, clearly the statute of limitations on being mad in a dark room somewhere is 4 weeks.

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT

Rick posted:

Given what a pain it is to input text into the console it should just auto-ban anyone who does is since it’s toxic 100% of the time.

I have seen a couple of genuine GG’s in chat, and one time someone was obviously annoyed enough to say “PLEASE KILL THE PHARA”. The rest is just stupid poo poo like healer or DPS diff.

I also once got told “Mercy W” and still racking my head trying to figure out what it means

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Bottom Liner posted:

They'd do this anyway, the only difference is now they have numbers to use. I think it's way more toxic when you're just being a knob because you feel bad and not because you can clearly see that your ana is somehow healing less than your soldier or w/e.

Granted, even mentioning this would probably get called toxic at this point. "Hey ana could you chain heal me this fight" tends to draw some form of ire

We all played overwatch 1 right? I could be landing a shatter a fight and if my team's getting solo'd by some caffiened up 18 year old some rear end in a top hat will still type tank diff.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Yeah, the scoreboard isn't the root problem. The problem is that I can't stuff enough grey market adderall up my nose to stop some shitter kid from calling me a slur for not being Shroud without either having a heart attack or having Semphis blow the whistle in an interview.

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

Maybe it's because I don't play comp or maybe it's just luck, but I've seen only a small amount of such toxicity. Certainly not none, there have been some diffs in chat and three or four absolute ragers. But honestly a lot less than I have expected. Mostly I've just seen a ton of terrible, awful account names that merited reporting.

I don't doubt it exists, I suppose I've just been fortunate to not see most of it.

Mind over Matter fucked around with this message at 12:33 on Oct 23, 2022

Don't Ask
Nov 28, 2002

I've started playing OW2 a few days ago after not touching OW for a long while and - it's still pretty fun! Still enjoying my usual DVA / Pharah / Lucio with pubbies.
In regards to the toxicity discussion, I've so far only seen 1 person whining and bitching and being generally toxic, otherwise it's mostly complete radio silence or GG's when the round ends.

I'm not sure that I understand how endorsements work, do they actually do anything? Apparently I've levelled up my endorsements to lvl2 but nothing actually happened?
Also is there no way to unlock skins and emotes and poses etc with lootboxes? How are you supposed to get anything now? I absolutely refuse to buy a battle pass, does that mean I'm SOL for new drops?

Vlaphor
Dec 18, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
The only toxicity I really see these days is just how people play now. Most of my matches these days have some amount of spawn camping, so that's depressing, though there was that one match where I snuck up and captured the point twice by myself as Roadhog since they were all busy ignoring the point they were supposed to defend.

Also, bring back Sym's permanent portals, they're kind of worthless now.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

Mega Comrade posted:

I think perhaps the weightlifting war criminal needs a nerf

Zzulu posted:

Doomfist is on that list so it's clearly doomfist we need to nerf

You two must be new, the devs clearly stated last week all tanks were within a 5% margin of error of having a perfect 50/50 win-loss rate and are therefore perfectly balanced.

I will always cherish that they said they were watching Doomfist for underperformance in the space of two sentences after saying that.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Where's all the Roadhog mains? Am I an old out-of-touch geezer for playing him?

SadisTech
Jun 26, 2013

Clem.

YoshiOfYellow posted:

He's still OK but he's just getting heavily overshadowed by the S tier tanks because really, when you can get that kind of advantage you'd be crazy not to. IMO. Like when playing against him it's pretty clear that he's just this waddling sack of survivability.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
I say "glhf besties" at the start of every match and barely ever see any toxic match chat. Now team chat thats a whole other story

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

More to the point: in a major game shakeup where Tanks were advertised as buffed to the moon, his kit was untouched.

Vlaphor
Dec 18, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

YoshiOfYellow posted:

Roadhog is my primary heavy. Any map with a gap or a dropoff and he becomes one of the deadliest characters out there. Well for sure, but Rialto and King's Row have plenty of places to hook/whole hog an enemy to their instant death. Plus, that hook is still useful for grabbing ults like Self Destruct or Bob and dragging them away from the team. Pair him up with a good Mercy and Roadhog can be nearly unkillable.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Why did they make Earthshatter an instant kill?
The game really didn't need any more unreactable instant kills.

They keep adding more and more of these like they think it makes for a good experience.

Jack Trades fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Oct 23, 2022

SadisTech
Jun 26, 2013

Clem.

Jack Trades posted:

Why did they make Earthshatter an instant kill?
The game really didn't need any more unreactable instant kills.

They keep adding more and more of these like they think it makes for a good experience.

It's... not?

E: it does 250 if you're like point blank, but that's like *point blank* like the hammer has to actually land on you. Which, if you have a Rein in that range, you're not likely to be happy anyway

SadisTech fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Oct 23, 2022

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

SadisTech posted:

It's... not?

E: it does 250 if you're like point blank, but that's like *point blank* like the hammer has to actually land on you. Which, if you have a Rein in that range, you're not likely to be happy anyway

250 is an instakill on everything that isn't a tank and it has 2m radius.

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

If you're that close to a Rein, on a hero with 250 health or less, and have just been shattered, there is basically no way you were surviving that anyway.

SadisTech
Jun 26, 2013

Clem.

Jack Trades posted:

250 is an instakill on everything that isn't a tank and it has 2m radius.

looked it up, so the actual 250 hp range on it is 1.75m

reinhardt's base hammer swing is 5m in game

I'm not too concerned by this change

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
They should add a way to block out the piss-poor broken endorsement system in this game. Kinda annoying to see that i've been demoted every few games only to instantly get promoted back. Usually happens one game before it gives out "rewards".

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Me as Sigma: Shield melts instantly, constantly getting focused down, trying to kill squishies but failing
Me against Sigma: Shield is invulnerable as I'm the only one shooting it, impossible to kill, damaged out entirely

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
I haven’t seen anyone type anything into chat on console in QP. It’s a blissfully mute experience.