Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Coolness Averted posted:

I read it much more as "don't listen to twitter weirdos saying they hate you, if your boss likes your work you're gonna be fine" as wrestling advice, especially since he's in a company where the wrestlers seem to have a lot more freedom in terms of character and storyline, TK is just booking his dream matches.

Yeah I agree, that's what I was getting at with the Vince comparison. Just because the crowds want Punk (or Bryan maybe, I don't remeber the context at the time), actually Sheamus is getting the push because that's the act the boss likes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
I get all this, I even understand the "As pro wrestlers" part, but surely there must be some allowance for the individual. If you believe in what you're doing, or if the people close to you that you trust believe in what you're doing, or holding yourself to the standards of the artform that is pro wrestling, etc. should all be considerations of opinions that count. If you just want to cash a cheque, sure, only rely on your boss's input. But we've seen what that does to people across society.

Imagine saying to a cop that the only opinion that counts is your boss who wants you to hand out six misdemenour tickets per shift and not, y'know, improve the community as a public servant?
Or saying to a journalist that the only thing that counts is coming up with something clickbaity enough that the website gets tens of thousands of hits?

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

no, thats a pretty stupid comparison

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
Imagine having a job entertaining for a successful entertainment company and people tell you that you suck poo poo and are bad at your job and you should be fired. Your boss who runs the successful entertainment company says "I thought you did a good job, keep it up!" and you take that opinion to heart over someone with a Fat Chris Jericho avatar telling you to kill yourself.

Sounds innocent enough, right? Now what if you were actually a cruel prison guard who tortures folks! Not so innocent now!

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
Imagine being such a simp for a wrestling business run by a billionaire that you stan for the billionaire's opinion being the one that counts instead of y'know, having personal pride and integrity in what you do, collecting a group of people around you who you do respect, having an understanding of the artform you profess to engage in and judging yourself according to that.

No. The billionaire is the one I should care about. He might give me money!

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Mrenda posted:

Imagine being such a simp for a wrestling business run by a billionaire that you stan for the billionaire's opinion being the one that counts instead of y'know, having personal pride and integrity in what you do, collecting a group of people around you who you do respect, having an understanding of the artform you profess to engage in and judging yourself according to that.

So, they should kill themselves because the guy with the fat chris jericho avatar told them to?

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

let's all just simmer down a notch and not call each other simps.

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012

Alaois posted:

So, they should kill themselves because the guy with the fat chris jericho avatar told them to?

No. They should take pride from more intrinsic reasons, from the people who are good judges of the profession they engage in, from the people they've built around them they can trust. Tony Khan might be one of those people. From everything said about him he is. But for every Tony Khan there's a Vince McMahon. Imagine saying the same thing about him? Don't value someone's opinion because they're your boss. Value their opinion because they have good opinions.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-xwfm0wGDE

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Mrenda posted:

No. They should take pride from more intrinsic reasons, from the people who are good judges of the profession they engage in, from the people they've built around them they can trust. Tony Khan might be one of those people. From everything said about him he is. But for every Tony Khan there's a Vince McMahon. Imagine saying the same thing about him? Don't value someone's opinion because they're your boss. Value their opinion because they have good opinions.

Nowhere did Matt say that he doesn't take pride in what he does or that he doesn't value his own opinion.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

I mean, basically what he's saying is that if randos are telling you that you suck but the person who pays you is happy with your job you don't have to listen to the randos.

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012

Pylons posted:

Nowhere did Matt say that he doesn't take pride in what he does or that he doesn't value his own opinion.

He literally said, "The opinion that actually counts is your boss’s opinion." Maybe provide some general perspective around that, that there are other opinions, that there is trusting in yourself and those who've proven themselves trustworthy count too, and in some situations (maybe many in wrestling's case) the opinion of the person writing the cheque doesn't actually count?

I get that he's in AEW, and people mostly (haha) seem to like working in AEW, but there's a lot of wrestlers who aren't working in AEW. Or maybe I've misread the situation and the wrestling industry is a bastion of equity and fairness where people always have your best interest at heart and there are no slimeball promoters.

Edit: I can't belive that me lolling at an opinion of, "Your boss's opinion is the one that counts," resulted in cranky serious posting on Something Awful, of all places.

Mrenda fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Oct 23, 2022

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

matt hardy was telling other wrestlers not to worry about toxic assholes on social media saying how bad they are at their job and just worry about the relevant work performance stuff that most people face. it's not a statement about how everybody needs to live and dedicate their efforts toward or w/e. just being supportive of other people in his situation and probably pretty helpful advice to anyone with anxiety over the lovely people online. no big deal

ThePariah
Feb 10, 2014

Mrenda posted:

He literally said, "The opinion that actually counts is your boss’s opinion." Maybe provide some general perspective around that, that there are other opinions, that there is trusting in yourself and those who've proven themselves trustworthy count too, and in some situations (maybe many in wrestling's case) the opinion of the person writing the cheque doesn't actually count?

I get that he's in AEW, and people mostly (haha) seem to like working in AEW, but there's a lot of wrestlers who aren't working in AEW. Or maybe I've misread the situation and the wrestling industry is a bastion of equity and fairness where people always have your best interest at heart and there are no slimeball promoters.

Edit: I can't belive that me lolling at an opinion of, "Your boss's opinion is the one that counts," resulted in cranky serious posting on Something Awful, of all places.

https://twitter.com/RUNYOMONEY/status/1432343466869207044

This tweet is actually wrong, because well articulated sentences also get misinterpreted on dead comedy forums.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Cavauro posted:

matt hardy was telling other wrestlers not to worry about toxic assholes on social media saying how bad they are at their job and just worry about the relevant work performance stuff that most people face. it's not a statement about how everybody needs to live and dedicate their efforts toward or w/e. just being supportive of other people in his situation and probably pretty helpful advice to anyone with anxiety over the lovely people online. no big deal

Exactly! What the hell are we doing here!

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

nevermind my above post. i didn't understand that you were joking around. it seemed pretty serious, like being concerned with a bad message that someone was sending. something like that plus doubling down on it a couple times would've needed people to try and explain it.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Mrenda posted:

Sounds good. Hmm my electric bill is due, good thing they accept personal pride and integrity in lieu of a check for the balance owed.

little munchkin fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Oct 23, 2022

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012

Cavauro posted:

nevermind my above post. i didn't understand that you were joking around. it seemed pretty serious, like being concerned with a bad message that someone was sending. something like that plus doubling down on it a couple times would've needed people to try and explain it.

I explained it because people didn't get it. I thought this was the funny tweets thread and I lolled and shared at a tweet that said, "Only trust your fists boss."

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Mrenda posted:

His point is that if you're getting paid every week then you're doing a good enough job, because the goal of a professional wrestler is to wrestle as their profession. And if someone who doesn't write your checks is saying mean things about you, you're under no obligation to listen to them.

ThePariah
Feb 10, 2014
Matt Hardy didn't write an essay on the complications of employer-employee relationships under capitalism in a 280 character tweet about a completely different subject? lol

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
If only more AEW wrestlers would listen to the likes of Gareth and Jobbernation, instead of the coward bad booker Tony Khan. Maybe AEW wouldn't be in such a meas and on the verge of collapse.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

ThePariah posted:

Matt Hardy didn't write an essay on the complications of employer-employee relationships under capitalism in a 280 character tweet about a completely different subject? lol

idk mrenda seems to think he did

i don't know why they would compare professional wrestlers to The Police and Very Serious Investigative Journalists otherwise

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

beat my fucken rear end until I am passed out.

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

Billionaires kick rear end

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012

yea ok posted:

Billionaires kick rear end

Hook beat Ari Daivari and I didn't think the billionaire kicked much rear end.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Mrenda posted:

You're missing the forest through the trees and are really hyper focused on the most throw away part of what Matt said. He's not stanning for capitalism or whatever goofy thing you got out of it, he's just saying that if you're employed by the company and getting put on TV you're doing something right and in this situation your boss' opinion is more valid than a guy named WWE Junkie who tells people to kill themselves.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

Mrenda posted:

I can provide some context, which is to say you got too bogged down thinking about the politics of Matt Hardy basically responding "I am going to keep my own counsel since I wasn't fired for that" to the normal characters in this thread who regularly make sensationalized lies to slander wrestlers with.

You got pushback from people who have seen the thousands of words written by the various characters of this thread that make it so that thinking about politics is last thing that comes to mind. Then it just kind of turned into the bit of "this is not a politics forum, who cares." Which is where we are now, btw.

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012

karmicknight posted:

I can provide some context, which is to say you got too bogged down thinking about the politics of Matt Hardy basically responding "I am going to keep my own counsel since I wasn't fired for that" to the normal characters in this thread who regularly make sensationalized lies to slander wrestlers with.

You got pushback from people who have seen the thousands of words written by the various characters of this thread that make it so that thinking about politics is last thing that comes to mind. Then it just kind of turned into the bit of "this is not a politics forum, who cares." Which is where we are now, btw.

I was just looking for the funny wrestling tweets thread. I didn't understand that a funny tweet saying the opinion that counts is that of wrestling promoters and businessmen—noted for being sleazy carnies throughout history—which didn't compare to the culture of funny tweets in this thread such as "Hangman Page wants to be a man but he dresses funny."

I'll try to laugh at better funny things in future.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

oh my god shut up

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
What is happening in this thread?

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug
Big Money Matt Hardy working the marks

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Rarity posted:

What is happening in this thread?

performative leftism

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Mrenda posted:

I was just looking for the funny wrestling tweets thread. I didn't understand that a funny tweet saying the opinion that counts is that of wrestling promoters and businessmen—noted for being sleazy carnies throughout history—which didn't compare to the culture of funny tweets in this thread such as "Hangman Page wants to be a man but he dresses funny."

I'll try to laugh at better funny things in future.

this is the thread for bad wrestling opinions, but the thing you missed is that it's supposed to be for posting others' and not your own

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
https://twitter.com/nwa/status/1583959915428618241

This tweet has been up for 19 hours and has only 50 RTs. "King of all Media" indeed.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Hmmmm, what sort of other stories are the hard-working journalists at Headline USA putting out?

*checks*

Oh.....oh.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
This thread should really be for bad fan and critic takes not wrestlers or companies.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

MassRafTer posted:

This thread should really be for bad fan and critic takes not wrestlers or companies.

NWA shared it but it's still some right wing content farm's opinion that Tyrus is coming for Howard Stern's throne. I think it qualifies.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

I don’t know what the hell happened in this thread in the past 24 hours but:
- post idiotic or silly takes
- stop posting about posters
- please everyone take a deep breath and try not to get so worked up about Matt Hardy and his opinions on opinions
- have fun

I’ll start:

https://twitter.com/whpark9/status/1583462069562593280?s=20&t=63Sw-zJlCPfzPmsrqMNw3w

I generally don’t mind their takes (at least, I follow them and don’t remember ever being annoyed by them) but this is a silly take. There were rumors for years that all the EVPs hated each other which were bullshit, and the toxic backstage environment really didn’t seem to kick in until a few months into Punk’s run.

I know Cody left, but I still don’t take that as vindication on the EVPs hate each other thing. His trajectory kind of made sense.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Benne posted:

This tweet has been up for 19 hours and has only 50 RTs. "King of all Media" indeed.

lollin at talking about replacing Howard Stern as 'King of All Media" in the year 2022.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

Benne posted:

there is no way he didn't pay for this lol