Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Yeah its OK to like your mac without claiming it's the bestest at everything ever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Copium is that Intel’s take on ARM?

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

knox_harrington posted:

Yeah its OK to like your mac without claiming it's the bestest at everything ever

I didn’t say that. I said it’s good enough for my needs because I don’t really play many AAA games any more and a lot of the indie games I play are sufficiently non demanding that they work fine in Parallels or crossfire if they don’t have Mac ports. That is hardly ‘it’s the bestest at everything ever’.

And as someone who made extensive use of virtualbox on my PC the level of performance and responsiveness of parallels rendered me speechless, very happy to defend that statement.

Mostly I bought a Mac because

1. I prefer macOS and windows and Microsoft are getting worse for various reasons that would require a short novel to outline

2. I’m already in the Apple ecosystem with my iPhone

And 3, as an environmentally conscious person I took a look at the insane and rapidly skyrocketing power draw and heat output of intel CPU’s and Nvidia GPUs and decided enough was enough. (And the cost!)

I’d contemplated making the jump in the past but the hardware limitations always held me back, it’s point 3 in particular and Apple silicon that got me to finally take the plunge because for gaming purposes it’s good enough now (for my needs).

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost
Windows laptops aren't as good as Mac laptops, but Windows 10/11 is pretty good on the desktop. I don't see how switching to a Mac desktop would be meaningfully better. The main reasons why Mac laptops are better than Windows laptops IMO (better battery life, display, keyboard, trackpad) are not relevant for desktops. And you can play a huge library of games spanning many decades on PC.

The Lord Bude posted:

And 3, as an environmentally conscious person I took a look at the insane and rapidly skyrocketing power draw and heat output of intel CPU’s and Nvidia GPUs and decided enough was enough. (And the cost!)

IDK, I'm kind of assuming things about you here in the following, but if you like to buy all of the latest Apple gadgets, I think it is hard to square that with the belief quoted above.

Only a small fraction of the energy consumption over the life cycle of a computer is during the usage phase. Some sources put it at 1/3rd, others put it at 1/5th. If you really were committed to the environment, you'd buy electronic gadgets sparingly and used.

silence_kit fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Oct 23, 2022

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

The Lord Bude posted:

I didn’t say that. I said it’s good enough for my needs because I don’t really play many AAA games any more and a lot of the indie games I play are sufficiently non demanding that they work fine in Parallels or crossfire if they don’t have Mac ports. That is hardly ‘it’s the bestest at everything ever’.

And as someone who made extensive use of virtualbox on my PC the level of performance and responsiveness of parallels rendered me speechless, very happy to defend that statement.

Mostly I bought a Mac because

1. I prefer macOS and windows and Microsoft are getting worse for various reasons that would require a short novel to outline

2. I’m already in the Apple ecosystem with my iPhone

I’d contemplated making the jump in the past but the hardware limitations always held me back, it’s point 3 in particular and Apple silicon that got me to finally take the plunge because for gaming purposes it’s good enough now (for my needs).

fascinating

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
I only hopped in because of the insane battery life of the Mx laptops combined with their ability to do light development work extremely well. If they didn't exist, I would have had no problem on buying the Windows laptop with the best battery life and installing some Arch-based distro on it.

And, after using MacOS for a couple months now, I think I'd prefer the Arch-based distro. MacOS is still better than Windows for me because it is *Nix-based and that just has so many advantages for my development work that I bought a laptop for in the first place.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Games are for children and I’m glad Apple respects that

Riven
Apr 22, 2002

silence_kit posted:

Windows laptops aren't as good as Mac laptops, but Windows 10/11 is pretty good on the desktop. I don't see how switching to a Mac desktop would be meaningfully better. The main reasons why Mac laptops are better than Windows laptops IMO (better battery life, display, keyboard, trackpad) are not relevant for desktops. And you can play a huge library of games spanning many decades on PC.

IDK, I'm kind of assuming things about you here in the following, but if you like to buy all of the latest Apple gadgets, I think it is hard to square that with the belief quoted above.

Only a small fraction of the energy consumption over the life cycle of a computer is during the usage phase. Some sources put it at 1/3rd, others put it at 1/5th. If you really were committed to the environment, you'd buy electronic gadgets sparingly and used.

I have a PC I built in 2020 that is currently on 11. I have to quit Teams every time the computer starts up. It constantly auto updates stuff from the Microsoft Store I never open, and when it does so, it allocates all bandwidth to those downloads so I can barely browse the internet while it updates some clock app. The clock is always in UTC after I wake it up and I don’t notice until I go to use a two factor code that fails because the system clock is wrong, so I have to open said clock app, uncheck “automatically set to local time” and then turn it back on so the time is right. After every update MS resets my privacy preferences to ship 1,000,000 metrics about my behavior.

All the software except for games is worse than what I can get on Mac. Both the built in stuff like the calendar and the paid 3rd party stuff.

Windows sucks. It sucks horribly. There are a million reasons Mac OS is better on the desktop and pretty much the only thing that is better on Windows is that you can play games. I would daily drive Linux before Windows.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

silence_kit posted:

I don’t buy all the latest gadgets. I get an iPhone every few years, and I replace my computer when I need to. I live in a country where electricity is insanely expensive and largely generated from coal. That, and the fact that Macs last longer, and apples superior environmental credentials was enough for me. I care about the environment but I’m not going to go around buying second hand stuff like some kind of hobo.

Windows 10/11 is not good. It’s a disfunctional mess and getting worse, and Microsoft is making decisions that are increasingly toxic. MacOS is a much better user experience, and much more respectful of my privacy.

To be clear, I’ve owned a Mac for a few months. I had 4 generations of gaming pc before that. A decade ago I was vehemently anti Apple, I would never have considered buying an iPhone, let alone a Mac. I owned 2 android phones and 2 windows phones before I bought my first iPhone. Apple has basically induced a complete 180 in my opinions over the past decade. I have no regrets about making the move.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Riven posted:

I have a PC I built in 2020 that is currently on 11. I have to quit Teams every time the computer starts up. It constantly auto updates stuff from the Microsoft Store I never open, and when it does so, it allocates all bandwidth to those downloads so I can barely browse the internet while it updates some clock app. The clock is always in UTC after I wake it up and I don’t notice until I go to use a two factor code that fails because the system clock is wrong, so I have to open said clock app, uncheck “automatically set to local time” and then turn it back on so the time is right. After every update MS resets my privacy preferences to ship 1,000,000 metrics about my behavior.

All the software except for games is worse than what I can get on Mac. Both the built in stuff like the calendar and the paid 3rd party stuff.

Windows sucks. It sucks horribly. There are a million reasons Mac OS is better on the desktop and pretty much the only thing that is better on Windows is that you can play games. I would daily drive Linux before Windows.

Yes this. Microsoft has been in a toxic downward spiral since about 2012. I’ve been looking for a way out for years but gaming always held me back, until enough changed to make me take the jump.

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.
Ooo, ooo, my turn. I had an Apple IIe from the age of 16 to 19, then switched to PC in college because it was the 90s and made much more sense. Stayed a PC guy for like 15 years.

Then in the mid-aughts I took a job where I had to use two computers side-by-side, windows XP and a Power Mac G5 running one of the big cat OSX versions. Lion, probably. Hated it at first but pretty quickly realized Apple hardware & OSX both did everything dramatically better than Microsoft and…Dell, or whoever.

My job sucked, so six years (!) later I opened my own business, and since graphic design was a huge part of it, I replaced my personal desktop PC with a 2012 13” MBP. It still runs like a champ, and when I finally get rid of it, it’ll probably be due to lack of software support from Apple, not because the hardware wore out. Even the sub-par-for-Apple 2018 intel MBP I replaced it with is miles better than all but the most expensive PC ultra books or whatever they’re calling them now. And I’ve never used one, so I may be wrong.

Apple makes some odd design choices from time to time, but they clearly take their hardware very seriously. I schedule my laptop upgrades every five years, but only because I don’t want to be in a position to immediately replace my computer because the 9-year-old one took a dump on Tuesday. If my computer goes down, my business is closed. The vastly superior software is really nice, but I just love the sturdy feel of Apple’s laptops. I travel with my computer a whole lot, so it takes more abuse than most, but I never feel like I’m running any risk.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

I've never owned a Windows 7/10/11 PC with nearly this many problems, other than the laptop computer from my previous job, which I attribute to terrible corporate software on the computer . . . could it be that you are Using It Wrong???

The Lord Bude posted:

I don’t buy all the latest gadgets. I get an iPhone every few years, and I replace my computer when I need to. I live in a country where electricity is insanely expensive and largely generated from coal. That, and the fact that Macs last longer, and apples superior environmental credentials was enough for me. I care about the environment but I’m not going to go around buying second hand stuff like some kind of hobo.

I think your environmental justification for buying a new Mac is pretty weak. If you really were concerned about the environment, you'd buy used. Also, optimizing your electronics energy consumption is almost certainly a premature optimization--your electronics energy consumption is probably dwarfed by the energy you use on HVAC and transportation.

Just be honest with yourself and say that you wanted a new Apple computer.

Riven posted:

Windows 10/11 is not good. It’s a disfunctional mess and getting worse, and Microsoft is making decisions that are increasingly toxic.

In my experience it's been fine. Windows 7/10/11 have all been good products.

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

silence_kit posted:

I've never owned a Windows 7/10/11 PC with nearly this many problems, other than the laptop computer from my previous job, which I attribute to terrible corporate software on the computer . . . could it be that you are Using It Wrong???

it is a major flaw of windows that Using It Wrong can very easily create these kinds of problems, with no feedback about what you are Doing Wrong and no obvious way to fix it other than starting over

also the updates and privacy stuff is broken by design and there’s no way to correct all that except deliberately breaking it

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Works on my machine OP.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The Lord Bude posted:

and the fact that Macs last longer

This is categorically wrong from a software standpoint which follows into a hardware standpoint. I have an i9 MBP and I’m just waiting for the moment that apple drops support for it, which in turn will make developers stop making software for it

You can install windows 10 and 11 on positively ancient PC’s (win 11 can be configured to ignore the frankly too apple-like cpu generational requirement).

You can still rock the latest windows 10 on Core2 machines.

I just patched Monterey to run on an unsupported iMac and it runs flawlessly, like zero issues so far. There is no reason that apple couldn’t have done this if some guy on GitHub can do it.

I also have a 9th gen i5 Dell laptop and I have zero worry that it will still be able to run the latest Microsoft OS in a decade, whatever that may be. That can’t be said for apple.

I really like my i9 MBP and I want to use it as long as I can but apple is definitely going to guarantee that that date comes earlier than it should. An i9 won’t be “too old to do X” for a very long time, but it’s support will get dropped in the next few os releases probably fairly surely.

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Oct 23, 2022

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

I guess?? My rMBP lasted ten years before support was dropped, and it’s the longest I’ve owned any piece of electrical equipment with a circuit board. Literally nothing else has even been given a shot at having software support run out

My coffee grinder will take that mantle soon, but I’ve also repaired that

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

silence_kit posted:

I think your environmental justification for buying a new Mac is pretty weak. If you really were concerned about the environment, you'd buy used.

No True Scotsman, amirite?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

It’s inconsistent. The 2013 iMac that I upgraded to Monterey was dropped from support after Catalina.

That’s 6 years of updates

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

TheMadMilkman posted:

No True Scotsman, amirite?

Buying a brand new Mac to save maybe something like 1% on your electricity bills is a pretty non-sensical justification for your purchase.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

silence_kit posted:

Buying a brand new Mac to save maybe something like 1% on your electricity bills is a pretty non-sensical justification for your purchase.

A Mac Studio uses about 1/8th the power of a high end current gen gaming desktop, at a conservative estimate, it’s not an insignificant saving (again, electricity is pretty loving expensive where I live). A high end gaming desktop also raises the temperature of the room by several degrees, which is not ideal in a hot tropical country. I use aircon very conservatively - only 1 room in the house has it; and I don’t turn it on unless the temperature is above 30c. I also generally don’t use heating in winter, I wear several sweaters instead.

It was one of the factors in my decision making. You also seem to have missed the fact that I was going to buy a new computer regardless, I didn’t spend money to save money so to speak. With the ridiculous inflation of gpu prices over the past couple of years buying a gaming pc would have cost as much or more.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Why do you keep comparing your Mac Studio, which cannot play any games at all, with a high end gaming PC, which can play all of the games ever made?

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

The Lord Bude posted:

A Mac Studio uses about 1/8th the power of a high end current gen gaming desktop, at a conservative estimate, it’s not an insignificant saving (again, electricity is pretty loving expensive where I live). A high end gaming desktop also raises the temperature of the room by several degrees, which is not ideal in a hot tropical country. I use aircon very conservatively - only 1 room in the house has it; and I don’t turn it on unless the temperature is above 30c. I also generally don’t use heating in winter, I wear several sweaters instead.

It was one of the factors in my decision making. You also seem to have missed the fact that I was going to buy a new computer regardless, I didn’t spend money to save money so to speak. With the ridiculous inflation of gpu prices over the past couple of years buying a gaming pc would have cost as much or more.

The (mostly idle) power consumption of your desktop computer is almost certainly a rounding error in your total electricity consumption. You are spending a lot of money on a very tiny future savings in your electricity bill.

In addition, the overwhelming energy cost of a computer (66-80%) is in the shipping/manufacturing of the computer and not in the electrical powering of the computer. Pointing to the environmental benefits of purchasing a new Apple computer is pretty non-sensical. It would have made more sense environmentally to buy a used computer, or to keep using your old computer. If you are the typical Goon, you probably didn't really NEED a new computer.

silence_kit fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Oct 23, 2022

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Old one was completely dead, so yes, I did in fact need a new computer. And I’ve established that I play games perfectly well on my Mac Studio. I made a choice based on a variety of factors which I outlined, not just the environmental benefits (and I’ll point out Apple has better credentials when it comes to manufacturing too). The heat output affecting my ambient room temperature was also very significant to me, it’s made a noticeable change. I have never and will never own a second hand anything; the very idea of it revolts me, that was never going to be an option. It might have been better for the environment but it wasn’t better overall. You guys are all weirdly fixating on one small part of my decision making.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

American McGay posted:

Why do you keep comparing your Mac Studio, which cannot play any games at all, with a high end gaming PC, which can play all of the games ever made?

ya overall this is silly. the mac studio is the most powerful development and design machine ever created, but consider it a PS5 for all the games it will let you play.

i would like them to support games but we're talking multiple years away at best.

istewart
Apr 13, 2005

Still contemplating why I didn't register here under a clever pseudonym

Re: gaming, I just took delivery of one of the Amazon $800 special MacBook Airs, and I'm a little surprised at some of the stuff in my library Steam says will run. Yes, a lot of it's years old now, but it was stuff I never heard about getting a Mac port in the first place. Batman: Arkham City, Middle-Earth: Shadow of Mordor, American Truck Simulator... Steam even claims that Ark: Survival Evolved will run, although looking into that a bit deeper seems to indicate that's not really true. The upcoming No Man's Sky port will be great to have on the go. It also looks like Baldur's Gate 3 has a Mac build, and the Apple silicon settings are gated based on SoC RAM rather than what CPU you have.

The Steam client itself kind of sucks tho. I don't think it's just Rosetta. Un-smooth scrolling, weird failures to render, the library sidebar claiming something is still downloading when the downloads pane clearly shows it's finished... Mac is obviously, clearly a second-tier platform for Valve if the little details like this are off.

This is the first Mac I've owned for myself in over a decade, and I am hoping to get some longevity out of it, or at least hand it off to my mom if I step up to a MacBook Pro. My previous laptop was a $350 Amazon-special Acer that was fantastically upgradeable for a budget machine, but by the time it was 5 years old, the plastic case was totally busted and the display hinges were on the way out. Obviously that's not directly comparable to an MBA, but I would argue that the physical construction of Apple stuff has usually been a cut above. You get what you pay for when you buy a Mac. There's still an OG blueberry iBook at my mom's house, handle and all, that boots up just fine. I also have high hopes that Apple might extend the software support for the early-generation Apple Silicon machines out longer, since they made such a big splash when they were introduced, and there will be surely be plenty of press coverage when they drop support. Even then, though, that's not insurmountable. Some of my favorite computers I've ever had were a couple of Power Mac G3s I frankensteined together with pretty substantial upgrades, and even back then, the process for patching Darwin to make newer OS X versions run was pretty well-documented. It also seems like things are going smoothly for Asahi Linux and OpenBSD, so there will be options. I'd personally be much more likely to run a lightweight Linux on an older PC laptop than stick with Windows anyway.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
I'm just glad that when it comes to gaming I only like the typical Nintendo stuff like Mario and Zelda, so the Mac vs. PC debate for gaming is never a thing to consider. I'd probably game more if my Mac could play them though. Opening up my Steam library right now and all I have in it are the Jackbox Party Pack games, and now Rollercoaster Tycoon Classic and Portal 2 that won't run on a 64bit OS. Guess I'll just stick to playing Splatoon for now.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Hey I'm sure they will eventually get the switch emulator running decent on Apple silicone so you'll be able to play all those on a Mac too!

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

my dad is trying to sell his (recently deceased) brother's imac. he said he ran into an issue in terms of "deassigning" it because we don't know what his password. he said apple support said he would need a court order for them to do this? he hates apple so I'm wondering if this is accurate or not

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Yeah if it has find my mac turned on and they don’t know his iCloud password they’re boned

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
If you can provide Apple support with a death certificate and some other paperwork they can get it done. Best to contact Apple to find out what the supporting documents needed are.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Yeast posted:

If you can provide Apple support with a death certificate and some other paperwork they can get it done. Best to contact Apple to find out what the supporting documents needed are.

I'm sure he already mentioned he had the death certificate, but he said apple support told him he needed a court order

the way he describes it seems pretty over the top, do other companies have similar polices with their machines?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Other companies don't really have the same type of cloud-enabled hardware encryption, so no. You basically need to be allowed control over the brother's old account and all the security concerns it entails.

Apple has a page on this exact process. It seems that if you want actual access the account then yes, you need a court order to prove not just that the person is deceased but that you, specifically, have a right to the data.
If you just want the account deleted just a death certificate may be all that's needed. Unsure if this will allow device to be unlocked.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208510

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy

FCKGW posted:

Other companies don't really have the same type of cloud-enabled hardware encryption, so no. You basically need to be allowed control over the brother's old account and all the security concerns it entails.

Apple has a page on this exact process. It seems that if you want actual access the account then yes, you need a court order to prove not just that the person is deceased but that you, specifically, have a right to the data.
If you just want the account deleted just a death certificate may be all that's needed. Unsure if this will allow device to be unlocked.

Apple has Legacy Contact now, which doesn’t help OP’s situation but would alleviate the issue for anyone who’s worried about that sort of stuff.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT212360

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

FCKGW posted:

thanks, if the account was deleted would someone else be able to start fresh on his machine?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Can you guys like, chill the gently caress out?

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Excuse me?

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I’ll be chill when I’m dead

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Internet Explorer posted:

Can you guys like, chill the gently caress out?

:dafuq:

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

hatty posted:

I’ll be chill when I’m dead
Make sure to add a Legacy Contact.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

squirrelzipper posted:

WoW is not a good example here. Hell, even Blizzard - who used to make Mac versions of everything they shipped - left Diablo III and Overwatch off the Mac. The Switch has more AAA titles. C'mon folks.

D3 is actually on Mac. Immortal isn't, which is funny because it's a mobile game so it would be trivial to support it.
The biggest disappointment is probably D2 Remastered not being available on Mac.