Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

DeathSandwich posted:

Okay, I got my microcenter run in today and I wound up picking up a Corsair icue h150 elite capellix as the cpu cooler. The assembly seems really nice and all, but what the gently caress am I suppose to do with this commander unit, the thing what runs the fans? I don't want it just rattling around in the bottom of my case. Do I just wire it up and then zip tie it to the bottom of the case? Is it just for the radiator fans or can I pop the case fans into it too?

You can control the rpms of 3 more fans of any type, and if they are corsair fans you can control the rgb.

Great for making case fans respond to gpu temps.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/16169/the-corsair-h150i-elite-capellix-cooler-review

“Corsair supplies a Commander CORE module alongside with the H150i Elite Capellix, which essentially is a version of the iCUE Commander Pro RGB controller that the company retails as a stand-alone product, simply tailored to control the RGB lighting of the liquid cooler instead. Nevertheless, it sports six fan power and RGB LED connectors, allowing users to install up to three additional compatible fans, enabling either push-pull configurations or the control of system fans.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.

unpronounceable posted:

I'll wait and see what black friday/boxing day sales look like, but it's looking like I'm going to change my upgrade plans. I was hoping to get a 6 core zen 4, or 6P + _E i5, but current prices put that outside my budget.

Are there any announcements/rumours about when the non x/k cpus will be released? I know people are expecting the 3d cache zen 4 at CES, but I don't remember seeing anything for the lower end stuff.

non-k raptor lake (including 13400 & below) should show up at ces too. according to leaks the 13400 is just a rebadged 12600k, probably just with a lower power limit, so that should be the i5 you want. no real news on a zen 4 non-x release but a leaker recently teased that the 7700 non-x exists and is 8-core & 65w tdp as you would probably expect. no idea how reputable that is though. amd doesn't really have any sort of consistent pattern with non-x releases so it's hard to know what to expect but if they're going to release anything early next year they'd probably announce it at ces.

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015
I've never actually tried to buy computer hardware on Black Friday/Cyber Monday, but considering we are only a month away it bears at least some consideration as I stew over my list of potential parts.

My general impression from the recent past is that Black Friday kind of sucks rear end and it's an excuse for retailers to pretend to put on huge sales while offering completely ordinary prices (except when I bought my special edition $99 3DS that one time).

Maybe other people have a different impression of the kinds of deals Newegg/Amazon/Microcenter tend to have up for hardware. Maybe the global economy teetering on the edge of a big slump is also going to pressure retailers a little bit more this year, I dunno.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Scoss posted:

I've never actually tried to buy computer hardware on Black Friday/Cyber Monday, but considering we are only a month away it bears at least some consideration as I stew over my list of potential parts.

My general impression from the recent past is that Black Friday kind of sucks rear end and it's an excuse for retailers to pretend to put on huge sales while offering completely ordinary prices (except when I bought my special edition $99 3DS that one time).

Maybe other people have a different impression of the kinds of deals Newegg/Amazon/Microcenter tend to have up for hardware. Maybe the global economy teetering on the edge of a big slump is also going to pressure retailers a little bit more this year, I dunno.

There's usually sales on drives, power supplies, peripherals (monitors, mice, keyboards, etc). The sales that aren't much of a sale tend to be on like ram and motherboards where they're not that much cheaper or the sale will be on the stuff you don't want. Sometimes there's good deals like $30 off or 20% off whatever using a coupon code or a particular payment method or something and that's the best way to save on motherboards, ram, cpus, etc, although they tend to be usable on almost everything. At least that's how I remember it from the last five years or so. I usually end up with a cheap SSD or two and sometimes a cheap power supply to keep on the shelf just in case. I finally opened up and am using the 1000W EVGA one I got for $99 on black friday in 2018 (IIRC) so I guess I should keep an eye out for a deal on another one.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

NR200 for $80 with an additional $25 mail-in rebate: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B08BFJHP26

There are some decent CPU+Motherboard combos running for Zen 4 right now too. Here's the 7700X's current combos: https://www.newegg.com/d/Special/Combo?Subcategory=0&Brand=0&SaveCompare=0&SaveAmount=&kwd=7700x&ListType=Combo&action=search&item=

Best one being $100 off for the X670E Tuf Gaming + 7700X. Granted, that's cutting a $330 motherboard down to the price it should be at, but it still helps take the sting off of building a high-performance zen 4 system. Some of the B650 are actually priced appropriately after these combo discounts too, like getting $70 off the B650 Tomahawk: https://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails?ItemList=Combo.4522205

edit: However, there's a MSI Pro Z690-A (has bios flashback) + 32GB of DDR5-5600 for $300 currently, which is still pretty competitive: https://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails?ItemList=Combo.4522127

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Oct 23, 2022

Jack Forge
Sep 27, 2012
PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i9-10850K 3.6 GHz 10-Core Processor (Purchased For $0.00)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 82.5 CFM CPU Cooler ($99.95 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Asus TUF GAMING Z590-PLUS ATX LGA1200 Motherboard (Purchased For $0.00)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 Memory ($99.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Black SN770 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive ($179.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: EVGA Black GeForce RTX 2080 8 GB Video Card ($0.00)
Case: Fractal Design Define R5 ATX Mid Tower Case ($139.95 @ B&H)
Power Supply: Silverstone Strider Platinum 850 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($155.13 @ Amazon)
Total: $675.01
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2022-10-23 04:34 EDT-0400

I got the CPU on sale more than a year ago, motherboard was a gift, and GPU was free/gift also more than a year ago.

I just want to put it together finally.

USA/ No microcenter

Currently have:
i5 6500
Gigabyte UD4
32gb DDR4 2400
A Noname PSU
Fractal Define R4 case

So this will be a large update.

Figured the PSU was due for replacement/efficiency upgrade, faster ram for faster CPU, and throw in NVME drive for additional space and improved speed.

Less work too just fresh install everything into a new case. I have a bluray drive that I want to keep using.

I'll keep the other one/pass down to a friend.

I game at 1440p on dual 27“s one is a 144hz with gsync the other is 60hz regular, minor power tasks (rare), and general Internet fuckery.

I will also pick up a larger platter HD for additional storage later.

Thoughts about PSU/NVME?

Jack Forge fucked around with this message at 10:56 on Oct 23, 2022

lih
May 15, 2013

get the fractal pop air instead of that case, it can fit a bluray drive, has much better airflow and is also cheaper. the define r5 is ancient and there's really no reason to consider it these days

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

AIOs in general are going to be louder than air coolers at idle and quieter under load. EVGA's CLC AIO on the other hand is very loud, but if you tune the fan curve down from stock then it's not too bad. It's not the best AIO though, and GamersNexus actually reviewed it so you can watch that. Anyway, you'd probably be better off with an AK640 for the 12600K. Though, are you getting 12th gen or 13th gen, because you're mentioning both here and I'm a little confused.
Welp I'm an idiot and/or made a typo, those are both supposed to be 13th gen :)

I did watch the Gamers Nexus review, Steve says this about the 280

quote:

If function is all that matters, Corsair does have the most compelling price-to-performance argument in both the 240mm and 280mm categories. If you’re not hardcore about NZXT’s visual focus but still seek something more LED-driven than Corsair’s H115i, the EVGA CLC makes sense.
Of course this was like 4 years ago and I'm sure the newer AIOs are better, but they're also significantly more expensive, which would mean the AK640 makes more sense again.

Combining a few charts, they are noisy at max rpm, but also quite reasonable at 1500-1000rpm while only losing a few degrees, but I wasn't able to find any coolers in common with the more recent testing so still no idea how that compares.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

mobby_6kl posted:

Welp I'm an idiot and/or made a typo, those are both supposed to be 13th gen :)

I did watch the Gamers Nexus review, Steve says this about the 280

Of course this was like 4 years ago and I'm sure the newer AIOs are better, but they're also significantly more expensive, which would mean the AK620 makes more sense again.

Combining a few charts, they are noisy at max rpm, but also quite reasonable at 1500-1000rpm while only losing a few degrees, but I wasn't able to find any coolers in common with the more recent testing so still no idea how that compares.

Several degrees worse than the Liquid Freezer II when normalized to the same noise level. But that's with the 360mm version, and I don't know how the 280mm compares (it's presumably worse). I don't think the methodology here has changed between then and now, and the same temperature is listed for the liquid freezer II 280mm in this AK620 review:

Therefore, we can combine the data in these charts to determine that the CLC 360 performs just slightly better than the AK620, and the CLC 280 may perform worse. The benefit to the CLC 280 would be the ability to send its RPM through the roof when under especially heavy loads.

To be clear, I'm not sure either cooler would prevent a 13700K from thermal throttling under max load—it would just be a matter of by how much. Presumably the EVGA cooler would allow the processor to run at a couple hundred mhz faster, which really isn't that big of a deal. If you power limit the 13700K to under 200W (which everyone should do tbh), then it should become a non-issue.

edit: The CLC360 would be at 46.7 on this chart:

It's also important to note that cooling AMD and Intel chips results in slightly different results depending on how the coldplates are manufactured, so these results may not be 1:1 cross compatible but the general gist of what we're seeing will still hold true.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 11:32 on Oct 23, 2022

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

$25 off all CPUs for first-time Micro Center customers. They've also increased their motherboard+CPU bundle discount to $50 specifically for the 7700X/7900X/7950X. This isn't as good as the free DDR5 deal they ran, but together with the CPU discount it helps them match the Newegg bundles I posted about a few hours ago.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Several degrees worse than the Liquid Freezer II when normalized to the same noise level. But that's with the 360mm version, and I don't know how the 280mm compares (it's presumably worse). I don't think the methodology here has changed between then and now, and the same temperature is listed for the liquid freezer II 280mm in this AK620 review:

Therefore, we can combine the data in these charts to determine that the CLC 360 performs just slightly better than the AK620, and the CLC 280 may perform worse. The benefit to the CLC 280 would be the ability to send its RPM through the roof when under especially heavy loads.

To be clear, I'm not sure either cooler would prevent a 13700K from thermal throttling under max load—it would just be a matter of by how much. Presumably the EVGA cooler would allow the processor to run at a couple hundred mhz faster, which really isn't that big of a deal. If you power limit the 13700K to under 200W (which everyone should do tbh), then it should become a non-issue.

edit: The CLC360 would be at 46.7 on this chart:

It's also important to note that cooling AMD and Intel chips results in slightly different results depending on how the coldplates are manufactured, so these results may not be 1:1 cross compatible but the general gist of what we're seeing will still hold true.

Oof, thanks for putting this together! I actually tried cross-referencing several more charts yesterday but got bogged down trying to keep all the different setup and systems together and went to sleep.

Based on the reviews from here https://www.eteknix.com/deepcool-ak620-wh-air-cpu-cooler-review/6/, it seems the L240 is complete garbage lol. So unless the L360 is magically better, it's probably not great either.

Of course this is on a 7700k I think so...

Since Steve mentioned replacing the fans, I actually tracked down apparently the only place that tested it.

https://www.enostech.com/best-240mm-clc-aio-coolers-2021-with-in-depth-testing/

They only show results at 100% fan speed :negative:

ColdIronsBound
Nov 4, 2008
Can I get a recommendation for an EU (non-UK) PC part store? - It needs to ship to Ireland but I can do the legwork there.

Used to use overclockers/scan uk - but now am being shafted with v high Brexit related export costs, argh

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

ColdIronsBound posted:

Can I get a recommendation for an EU (non-UK) PC part store? - It needs to ship to Ireland but I can do the legwork there.

Used to use overclockers/scan uk - but now am being shafted with v high Brexit related export costs, argh

I just ordered from caseking.de (live in France), had by far the best prices outside of sometimes local Amazon. Haven't yet received anything so can't speak to service quality, but people were talking positively about them. They apply local VAT though.

Mindfactory.de also had good reviews and prices but I think they only ship to Germany. Most other places were like 50% more expensive.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Does anyone make an ultra low-profile right-angle PCI Express extension cable? I have a 3070ti installed in a mini atx board and the cooler covers the next two pci express slots, which is all the motherboard has. I'd like to install a 10GB ethernet card in there, but I cant do it without some sort of PCI express extension, but it has to be able to fit underneath the cooler on the GPU

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
What country are you in? - US
Do you live near Microcenter? - No
What are you using the system for? Gaming
What's your budget? Under 3K? Maybe? Not concerned about budget yet.
If you're gaming... - 4K, 144hz, G-Sync. I want max settings and RT.

It's probably not quite time for me to do it yet, but I want to start planning. I currently have a 9700k and RTX3080.

It's been hard for me to know when it is time to upgrade CPU, because the last two I've had, the 9700K and the 2500K, were great performers that allowed for long lifetimes. Because of this, I haven't paid a lot of attention to CPU technology. It seems like the new generations announced by both sides this month are quite strong, and I might be leaning towards Intel and the 13700K (don't think I need i9). I'm not sure how much of a need I have to make this upgrade, though. (Also, I do think I'd wait to find out about AMD's 3D cache or whatever the hell it is.)

GPUs I'm more well versed in. While I'd love to consider an upgrade here (I can afford it very easily now, as opposed to a few years ago), the value of the 40 series just seems so broken. This is unfortunate, as I think I really want to stick with NVIDIA for G-Sync and DLSS.

Just looking for general feedback on where I am on this system, if CPU might be showing its age by now.

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code

Revol posted:

What country are you in? - US
What's your budget? Under 3K? Maybe? Not concerned about budget yet.
If you're gaming... - 4K, 144hz, G-Sync. I want max settings and RT.

It's probably not quite time for me to do it yet, but I want to start planning. I currently have a 9700k and RTX3080.

It's been hard for me to know when it is time to upgrade CPU, because the last two I've had, the 9700K and the 2500K, were great performers that allowed for long lifetimes. Because of this, I haven't paid a lot of attention to CPU technology. It seems like the new generations announced by both sides this month are quite strong, and I might be leaning towards Intel and the 13700K (don't think I need i9). I'm not sure how much of a need I have to make this upgrade, though. (Also, I do think I'd wait to find out about AMD's 3D cache or whatever the hell it is.)

GPUs I'm more well versed in. While I'd love to consider an upgrade here (I can afford it very easily now, as opposed to a few years ago), the value of the 40 series just seems so broken. This is unfortunate, as I think I really want to stick with NVIDIA for G-Sync and DLSS.

Just looking for general feedback on where I am on this system, if CPU might be showing its age by now.

If you build once and your done for 5+ years and you need it now (inside the next 3 months) then I’d probably go 13700k and be done with it.
AMD new 3D chips may not be coming for 6 months at the earliest.

And while you could buy into AM5 now and upgrade to the 3D chip later that requires spending more money and the hassle.

lih
May 15, 2013

the rumoured release date for zen 4 v-cache is february/march, to be announced in january

GopherFlats
Mar 16, 2011

GopherFlats posted:

Okay so I completely skipped the op and I’ll repost what I’m looking for:

What country are you in? USA

Do you live near Microcenter? No

What are you using the system for? Mainly gaming and some light web browsing. Maybe eventually some light CAD work

What's your budget? Around $1200 usd but flexible depending on components and value

If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution / refresh rate? No monitor. At this point probably going to run it off my tv and eventually get a good gaming tv.

To add as well I’m coming from an Xbox one which I’m completely done with. I just want a pc to run games at a good frame rate and not completely die running newer aaa titles. I’m a couch gamer and will be primarily using a controller and will get a better tv/monitor when I find something I like.

ETA: I had an Alienware aurora r10 on order that I recently cancelled as it had been delayed for over a month if that tells you anything about what I’m looking at.

Sorry to spam this but looking for some recommendations

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

GopherFlats posted:

Honestly I think the deal is dead but that new egg prebuilt with a 3080 was a great deal and semi around your budget.

You might want to wait a bit though as you might be able to snag a pre built on Black Friday / cyber Monday for a good deal.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

GopherFlats posted:

So, if you're gonna be gaming off of a 4K TV, then ideally you want a 3080 to make the most out of it. Here's a price-optimized "use as much budget on the GPU you can get away with" version of a 3080 4K gaming PC for around $1400: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/4nHvY9

It has a cheap 5600 processor because you don't really need anything better for smooth 4K gaming on a 3080. You can possibly save a few more bucks by getting DDR4-3200 instead of 3600, getting a 512GB SSD instead of 1TB, and getting some cheapo $100 B550 motherboard, though I really wouldn't recommend the last option. Either way, you're not getting down to $1200 unless you settle for a 3070 instead. The 3070 can still do 4K gaming, but you're turning down more settings and leaning harder on DLSS upscaling. And I suspect future UE5 games and such may not always run at 60fps, but that depends on how scalable they end up being. Or you may be able to meet your $1200 budget (or get close to it) if you buy a 3080 on the used market.

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree
What country are you in? - Singapore
What's your budget? Less than 3k?
If you're gaming... - 4K, 144hz, low temperatures and noise

I'm not in a rush to get this, maybe around March of next year. Was thinking of getting an AIO for both GPU and CPU as I want to keep temperatures low as possible, but reading up on custom loop seems like too much maintenance with 6 month refills.

This would be a fresh build, I've got monitor and peripherals.

Thinking of either the 4090 Waterforce or Suprim Liquid. Other than that I have no idea what else to go for

Lanky Coconut Tree fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Oct 24, 2022

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Lanky Coconut Tree posted:

What country are you in? - SG

I'm not in a rush to get this, maybe around March of next year. Was thinking of getting an AIO for both GPU and CPU as I want to keep temperatures low as possible, but reading up on custom loop seems like too much maintenance with 6 month refills.

Thinking of either the 4090 Waterforce or Suprim Liquid. Other than that I have no idea what else to go for

What country is SG? I'm drawing a complete blank.

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree

CaptainSarcastic posted:

What country is SG? I'm drawing a complete blank.

Singapore.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

What country are you in? - Singapore

If the Zen 4 3D processors are affordable, then you'll probably be building a system around one of those. Otherwise it's either the 13600K or 7700X/7600X probably, whichever ends up being cheaper.

The air coolers on the 4090 are all pretty seriously overbuilt and quiet, by the way. The AIO cards will probably be even quieter, but if giving up the water cooling means getting a better CPU or memory or whatever, then you'll probably want to make that sacrifice.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Okay, cool - thanks. I'm usually good with geography but I stumbled on that one.

Otherwise I think Dr. Video Games already gave you a good answer - your planned timeline gives you enough room to let things settle a bit and have more options.

Shrinkage
Oct 23, 2010
Building a new computer and am still deciding between 7950x and 13900k, currently leaning towards the 7950x because of the pcie5 and new socket (future upgradability), also worried for the thermal throttling potential if going the way of the 13900k.

How bad should I be worried of thermal throttling if I go the 13900k? Any other factors I should consider deciding between these two (excluding monetary factors).

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Shrinkage posted:

How bad should I be worried of thermal throttling if I go the 13900k?

I think that’s going to largely depend on your workload.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

GopherFlats posted:

Okay so I completely skipped the op and I’ll repost what I’m looking for:

What country are you in? USA

Do you live near Microcenter? No

What are you using the system for? Mainly gaming and some light web browsing. Maybe eventually some light CAD work

What's your budget? Around $1200 usd but flexible depending on components and value

If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution / refresh rate? No monitor. At this point probably going to run it off my tv and eventually get a good gaming tv.

To add as well I’m coming from an Xbox one which I’m completely done with. I just want a pc to run games at a good frame rate and not completely die running newer aaa titles. I’m a couch gamer and will be primarily using a controller and will get a better tv/monitor when I find something I like.

ETA: I had an Alienware aurora r10 on order that I recently cancelled as it had been delayed for over a month if that tells you anything about what I’m looking at.

I know that this is the PC building thread, but the current consoles are pretty drat powerful and still have a better couch experience. A $500 console will run games comparably to a >$1000 PC. A 3080 is clearly more powerful than a console, but is mostly found in PCs that cost 3x as much.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

There’s also “Steam Deck + Dock” as an option.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Subjunctive posted:

There’s also “Steam Deck + Dock” as an option.

I'm going to do this since I don't want to lug my PC over to the TV all the time. What's the latency like if I streamed to the Deck from my gaming PC?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

change my name posted:

I'm going to do this since I don't want to lug my PC over to the TV all the time. What's the latency like if I streamed to the Deck from my gaming PC?

I haven’t done it, but I hear it’s pretty decent. Steam Deck thread (on mobile so I can’t really link sorry) will have much more. I’m not sure the Deck will stream beyond its own resolution, but best to ask there.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

change my name posted:

No worse to my eyes than any other kind of Steam Link streaming.

Subjunctive posted:

I haven’t done it, but I hear it’s pretty decent. Steam Deck thread (on mobile so I can’t really link sorry) will have much more. I’m not sure the Deck will stream beyond its own resolution, but best to ask there.
The Deck will output to the resolution of whatever screen it's connected to if you're using it docked. So if you're docked to a 4K TV like I am it'll output at 4K. Though I'd keep any game streaming to 1080p and let SteamOS' system level FSR handle the upscale.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

njsykora posted:

No worse to my eyes than any other kind of Steam Link streaming.

The Deck will output to the resolution of whatever screen it's connected to if you're using it docked. So if you're docked to a 4K TV like I am it'll output at 4K. Though I'd keep any game streaming to 1080p and let SteamOS' system level FSR handle the upscale.

Yeah you can also just tell the deck to output to 1080p too so don’t have to output at 4K.

Here’s the deck thread

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3973713&perpage=40&pagenumber=1&noseen=1

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
This is in Denmark, for games like EU4, Civilisation 6, Victoria 3 and hopefully their successors at 1440p.

My budget is 10,000 DKK but cheaper is better. This PC would cost me 8,800 DKK (1,100 USD but including 25% VAT) with a 3-year warranty from a local builder but I question both if it's good value and if going for water cooling on a first PC is asking for trouble?

Processor Intel Core i5 10400F - 2.9GHz (4.3GHz Turbo Boost) 6-kernet
Køling Vandkøler 120mm
Bundkort H410M-E micro-ATX
RAM 16GB DDR4
Grafikkort Nvidia GeForce RTX 3060 TI 8GB
SSD 1TB NVMe SSD
Kabinet NZXT H510 ATX Kabinet
Strømforsyning 650W 80PLUS
Netkort Gigabit kablet netkort (trådløst kan tilkøbes)
Garanti 3 års garanti

I may be being swayed because I like the case.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Sri.Theo posted:

This is in Denmark, for games like EU4, Civilisation 6, Victoria 3 and hopefully their successors at 1440p.

My budget is 10,000 DKK but cheaper is better. This PC would cost me 8,800 DKK (1,100 USD but including 25% VAT) with a 3-year warranty from a local builder but I question both if it's good value and if going for water cooling on a first PC is asking for trouble?

Processor Intel Core i5 10400F - 2.9GHz (4.3GHz Turbo Boost) 6-kernet
Køling Vandkøler 120mm
Bundkort H410M-E micro-ATX
RAM 16GB DDR4
Grafikkort Nvidia GeForce RTX 3060 TI 8GB
SSD 1TB NVMe SSD
Kabinet NZXT H510 ATX Kabinet
Strømforsyning 650W 80PLUS
Netkort Gigabit kablet netkort (trådløst kan tilkøbes)
Garanti 3 års garanti

I may be being swayed because I like the case.

The processor is three generations old and has no simple upgrade path. Don't bother

Also, 120mm AIOs are generally a poor choice, that CPU is very low power and doesn't require fancy cooling, and the NZXT H510 isn't a very good case.

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree

If the Zen 4 3D processors are affordable, then you'll probably be building a system around one of those. Otherwise it's either the 13600K or 7700X/7600X probably, whichever ends up being cheaper.

The air coolers on the 4090 are all pretty seriously overbuilt and quiet, by the way. The AIO cards will probably be even quieter, but if giving up the water cooling means getting a better CPU or memory or whatever, then you'll probably want to make that sacrifice.

Awesome, thanks! Does AIO for CPU and GPU even make sense? And are there any cases that you guys would recommend? Not fussed about size, just need minimal to none RGB / gamer styling.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Does the "Active to Precharge Time", which is just about the only difference between these similarly priced RAM modules, mean anything?

I take it the answer is no but just wanna be sure.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Awesome, thanks! Does AIO for CPU and GPU even make sense? And are there any cases that you guys would recommend? Not fussed about size, just need minimal to none RGB / gamer styling.

I'm happy with my Corsair 5000D Airflow case, myself. Pretty much just a big black monolith with lots of venting.

Amok
Oct 5, 2004
You can't spell failure without U R A
Well, my old i5-4690K is starting to come to the end of it's road. I've sketched out a rough outline for a new computer, and I'd like to know if there is anything obviously wrong or dumb with it. I live in Finland, obviously not near a MicroCenter, and trying to stay under 1k euro. The GPU is one I currently own, bought as an emergency replacement for my dying GTX 980. I might replace it later, so I'm thinking of getting a more powerful PSU than would otherwise be necessary.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X 3.7 GHz 6-Core Processor (€249.90 @ Jimm's)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S SE-AM4 CPU Cooler (€65.90 @ Jimm's)
Motherboard: Asus PRIME B550M-K Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard (€119.90 @ Jimm's)
Memory: Kingston FURY Beast 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory (€119.90 @ Jimm's)
Storage: Samsung 980 1 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 3.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive (€99.90 @ Jimm's)
Video Card: Asus TUF OC GeForce GTX 1660 Ti 6 GB Video Card
Case: Fractal Design Pop Mini Silent MicroATX Mid Tower Case (€114.90 @ Jimm's)
Power Supply: Fractal Design Ion+ 2 Platinum 860 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply
Total: €770.40
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2022-10-24 22:35 EEST+0300

Any glaring flaws or dumb choices you can spot? I'm also curious as to what you think about recycling my current case. It's a Nanoxia Deep Silence 4 with two Noctua 120mm fans which seem to work fine still even after seven-ish years, but ripping out the guts of the current setup before building the new computer in would mean I wouldn't have the old computer to fall back on when something inevitably doesn't work with the new build.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I'm happy with my Corsair 5000D Airflow case, myself. Pretty much just a big black monolith with lots of venting.

I got a corsair 4000d for my build and while still full sized, is a fair spot smaller and I found I had cable management problems by the time I got everything mounted in it. Like, I can't imagine trying to use sata ssd drives in the thing because I had to take out the hdd bays to be able to route the power cables. By the time I got the corsair fan commander for the AIO radiator wired up the entire bottom compartment was fully packed in.

Now that it's up and running I'm happy, but I dread having to break it open to change anything with power.