Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

My son was The Goose for Halloween last year

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

My 7 year old son has a habit of messing with his lips/mouth area that started relatively recently. Whenever he is absorbed in an activity or zoned out etc he will put his fingers on either side of his mouth and mess with his lips. It's gotten bad enough you can see the effect on his skin. We always ask him to stop and he does, but even he is getting frustrated that he keeps doing it without realizing it.

Does anybody have some good suggestions to stop a habit like this?

Dick Ripple
May 19, 2021
Anyone with multiple kids have recommendations on wagons? Looking for similar to this https://elvent.shop/product/allrounder-premium/.
Have a friend with something like that one, and it seemed to come in really handy in regards to lugging kids and all their crap along. However theirs was more city use with smaller tires and such, and we would require something that could be pulled/pushed through a bit of snow and/or stone paths.

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

What the hell is wrong with you people?

D-Pad posted:

My 7 year old son has a habit of messing with his lips/mouth area that started relatively recently. Whenever he is absorbed in an activity or zoned out etc he will put his fingers on either side of his mouth and mess with his lips. It's gotten bad enough you can see the effect on his skin. We always ask him to stop and he does, but even he is getting frustrated that he keeps doing it without realizing it.

Does anybody have some good suggestions to stop a habit like this?

Give him something else to do with his hands when he's focused on something else? Like a spinner or stress ball .

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

My daughter has started ending emphatic sentences with "maan" like an old stoner. "That's what I was trying to do, man" "come on, maan"

No idea where it came from but it's loving hilarious

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

remigious posted:

While we are on the subject of devices, my nearly two year old was given a switch. I know, it’s a bit absurd. It was a hand me down from a friend’s kid, so it’s pretty beat to poo poo already. I haven’t given it to my son just yet, but I’m wondering if there are any games I can turn on for him that would be easy for him to just button mash and wander around in. Or feel free to tell me that’s crazy and just hold onto it for a few more years first.

My 2 year old has learned to ask for Kirby. She likes watching daddy play the new Kirby game, but even more, she just likes to watch me run around in the plaza area and go fishing and get gatcha prizes. She also directs me to Kirby’s house so he can take a nap.

She has also been pretty interested in Animal Crossing for nearly a year now. She always says hi and bye to “Abow” (Isabelle) and likes to go visit her and “Owl” (Blathers). For a while, all she wanted to do was look at bees and butterflies in the museum or just sit in the cafe with a coffee. Now she sometimes likes to watch me catch butterflies, go on a boat tour, change clothes, and watch the fish in the aquarium.

I would recommend Animal Crossing, as it is a game that will literally give years of fun. He won’t be able to play it yet, but start a game for him and I’m sure he’ll like watching you run around to catch fish and bugs and pick fruit from trees. It’s pretty chill, child friendly, and very cute. When he’s old enough, he can take control of the game himself and really make his island his own.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem

Nessa posted:

I would recommend Animal Crossing, as it is a game that will literally give years of fun. He won’t be able to play it yet, but start a game for him and I’m sure he’ll like watching you run around to catch fish and bugs and pick fruit from trees. It’s pretty chill, child friendly, and very cute. When he’s old enough, he can take control of the game himself and really make his island his own.

I’m thinking about a child starting an animal crossing game as a baby and keeping the same island for years and years and getting all misty eyed! I will totally make an island for my little guy.

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

My toddler loves the pbs kids game app. His favorite thing is to play the game incorrectly to get a rise out of the characters :3:

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.
HFM sucks so much, kid is fine now but my sore throat is awful and now my hands and feet are tingly everywhere

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Timeline over the past ~2 weeks:

4 year old gets HFM, trip to urgent care, sent home from preschool on a Thursday.

1.5 year old catches HFM on Saturday.

4 year old Not allowed back until tuesday the following week. 1.5 year old has horrible case of HFM and missed the full week of daycare.

This past Wednesday (2 days ago…4 yo had been in preschool for one day). He “doesn’t look good” and has a fever at preschool. Off to the doctors office and it’s a sinus infection-given antibiotics but due to policy he can’t go back to school until Monday. He’s been sleeping and not eating the last two days but keeping up with fluids.

Today-infant has been back in daycare since Monday (yay!!!). They noticed a discharge in his eyes today and wife had to pick him up. Off to urgent care-pink eye.

Here’s to another amazing loving weekend. 4 yo is still tired as gently caress and coughing. 1.5 year olds eyes look like poo poo, his skin looks like leprosy because the HFM, but he’s generally happy as can be as long as he isn’t getting eye drops.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I'm gonna just tell myself that making chocolate cake from scratch for increasingly small occasions is educational scaffolding for my daughter's baking skills, and not me being a fatass. She certainly ain't complaining about constantly making and eating chocolate cakes, so it's gotta be good for the ol' brain

drainpipe
May 17, 2004

AAHHHHHHH!!!!
Anyone have any success with sleep training babies old enough to stand up in the crib? Our baby was sleep trained, but we recently took a trip that completely threw her off. We’re trying to retrain her but she’s now standing in her crib, which makes her stay awake a lot longer than the first time. As I am typing this, she’s been awake and standing for over 2 hours.

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

drainpipe posted:

Anyone have any success with sleep training babies old enough to stand up in the crib? Our baby was sleep trained, but we recently took a trip that completely threw her off. We’re trying to retrain her but she’s now standing in her crib, which makes her stay awake a lot longer than the first time. As I am typing this, she’s been awake and standing for over 2 hours.

If they’re just standing? I just let them stand as long as they feel like it.

My kid likes to stand + jump + scream. Now that they can stand they can understand “I’m stuck in here and would rather be down there with the toys and parents and books” so all the previous sleep training is kind of null and void. We kind of maintained the Ferber / Cry It Out method but now there’s a lot more rocking and singing and lullaby music.

Went from perfectly sleep trained at 6 months to hating to go to sleep at 20 months.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I just let them stay up until their eyes get heavy and then put them in the crib

If they cry more than 10 minutes I'll pick them back up and try again in an hour

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

The latest mario kart allows you to turn on auto acceleration so you don't hold a button to go. You can also turn on a helper that keeps you on the track. Last, you turn on steering by tilting the controller one way or the other rather than using the joystick.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

remigious posted:

I’m thinking about a child starting an animal crossing game as a baby and keeping the same island for years and years and getting all misty eyed! I will totally make an island for my little guy.

I’m hoping to maybe get a cheap used Switch in a couple years so I can let my daughter start her own island. It’s only one island per Switch, so I’d want her to be able to start and build her own without messing with my own, which already has a nearly complete museum and stuff.

I’m also hoping she’ll be interested in watching me play the new Pokémon game. Someday I’ll get Let’s go Pikachu/Eevee so we can play together, since it’s basically designed for a parent to play with a small child.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Alterian posted:

The latest mario kart allows you to turn on auto acceleration so you don't hold a button to go. You can also turn on a helper that keeps you on the track. Last, you turn on steering by tilting the controller one way or the other rather than using the joystick.
Heh, those are on by default. Tilt steering is also counterproductive--if you leave the auto-gas and auto-steer on but turn tilt-steering off then your character will usually come in around 4th place if you just put the controller on the floor and don't touch it. With all three on your kids will constantly come in 11th or 12th from holding the controller sideways.

I actually don't think Mario Kart is a great kids "first game". It's very entertaining and kids like it, but the behavior of the carts is so divorced from what they do on the controller that it doesn't built any intuition--they might as well just watch you play while holding a dead controller.

When I finally showed my three year old Mario 64 he "got it"--moving the stick made Mario move, and he was the puppeteer. He then spent the next half hour laughing his rear end off just running Mario around in a way I've never seen before.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

You might want to look into some of the $1 shovelware touchscreen games for Switch (many people forget that it even has touchscreen, but it does). My 23-month-old is an expert in touch controls, but hasn't grasped the abstract concept of buttons or joysticks having an effect on the screen. But she'll happily spend a half hour popping bubbles or slicing fruit or whatever.

Which is not to say she doesn't enjoy playing with the controller. She likes pressing the buttons. She asks to play with the controller by saying "press buttons", which is "trykker på knapper" (true-kuh poe kuh-nap-puh) in Danish, and comes out as "chupacabra" after going through the toddler pronunciation matrix.

She also says that when she wants to play with the little remote control for changing the LED colors for her nightlight (a concept she does grasp). And she'll say it to me when I'm sleeping in her low and gravelly "dinosaur voice". So I frequently get to wake up to "chupacabra... chupacabra... chupacabra..." chanted at me by one of the Children of the Corn.

On the flipside, "toilet paper" comes out of the pronunciation matrix as "sopapilla", so I get to think about delicious fried dough throughout the day.

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

What controllers do you use for your kids? They all seem too big for kid hands

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem

c355n4 posted:

What controllers do you use for your kids? They all seem too big for kid hands

I have a gamesir t4 mini that I use for my small lady hands lol.

CherryCola
Apr 15, 2002

'ahtaj alshifa
Disclaimer: not a parent, in a relationship with the father of a 3.5 yo

Oh man, so...my boyfriend's son seems to be entering the "repeat everything you say" phase. When I first started seeing his dad, if he heard us swear he would just kinda not really care. But yesterday the boyfriend was trying to get a bug out of the car or something and said "get outta here, fucker!"

Then for the next like 5 minutes we just heard joyous shouts of "Get outta here...FUCKER!" from the back seat. To the kid's credit as soon as we said "okay [name], that's enough" and he hasn't done it since. It has seemed to me that since his dad is more about teaching context than sheltering him about profanity, he doesn't latch onto stuff as much since it's not presented as an "OH NOOOO DON'T SAAAY THAAAT" thing.

He has really started to get used to me and like me though, and I'm realizing that means I gotta be careful. Like I kissed his dad on the cheek so HE wanted his dad to give him a kiss on the cheek and then give me one, too. It was really quite adorable, but a reminder that he's at a super impressionable age as well. He's a really happy, well adjusted kid though with a super devoted pops though.

Anyway, I appreciate having this thread to follow since I'm very new to being around a toddler a lot. It's pretty wild!

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you

Nessa posted:

I’m hoping to maybe get a cheap used Switch in a couple years so I can let my daughter start her own island. It’s only one island per Switch, so I’d want her to be able to start and build her own without messing with my own, which already has a nearly complete museum and stuff.

Isn’t it one island per profile on your Switch, not one island per actual physical Switch? We only have one Switch and it’s been forever since I played Animal Crossing but I think my wife and I had separate islands, each on our own profile. I know for sure it works for Pokémon since me, my wife, and our daughter each have separate profiles and so can have our own separate Pokémon game saves.

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

remigious posted:

I have a gamesir t4 mini that I use for my small lady hands lol.

Ooh, this might work. I only have a huge Xbox controller on my PC and it is definitely a struggle for the kid to use it.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)

Muir posted:

Isn’t it one island per profile on your Switch, not one island per actual physical Switch? We only have one Switch and it’s been forever since I played Animal Crossing but I think my wife and I had separate islands, each on our own profile. I know for sure it works for Pokémon since me, my wife, and our daughter each have separate profiles and so can have our own separate Pokémon game saves.

No its definitely 1 island per switch for the newest animal croasing.

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.

CherryCola posted:

Disclaimer: not a parent, in a relationship with the father of a 3.5 yo

Oh man, so...my boyfriend's son seems to be entering the "repeat everything you say" phase. When I first started seeing his dad, if he heard us swear he would just kinda not really care. But yesterday the boyfriend was trying to get a bug out of the car or something and said "get outta here, fucker!"

Then for the next like 5 minutes we just heard joyous shouts of "Get outta here...FUCKER!" from the back seat. To the kid's credit as soon as we said "okay [name], that's enough" and he hasn't done it since. It has seemed to me that since his dad is more about teaching context than sheltering him about profanity, he doesn't latch onto stuff as much since it's not presented as an "OH NOOOO DON'T SAAAY THAAAT" thing.

He has really started to get used to me and like me though, and I'm realizing that means I gotta be careful. Like I kissed his dad on the cheek so HE wanted his dad to give him a kiss on the cheek and then give me one, too. It was really quite adorable, but a reminder that he's at a super impressionable age as well. He's a really happy, well adjusted kid though with a super devoted pops though.

Anyway, I appreciate having this thread to follow since I'm very new to being around a toddler a lot. It's pretty wild!
It is definitely wild. I already need to start being pretty careful about stuff like that. My kid is just over 1 and we just bought pumpkins. She was trying to pick one up that was about half her size and obviously struggling with it, so then I went to pick it up and sort of feigned having a tough time doing it and made some grunting noises acting like it was really heavy. She of course apparently thought grunting noises were the coolest thing she’d heard in a long time and spent like the next hour just crawling around grunting.

Obviously grunting isn’t something she shouldn’t be doing anything but it was a really stark example of a thing I did without even giving it much of a thought that she latched onto and started doing it repeatedly herself because it was new and interesting to a baby. And she can’t even talk yet so we have a ways to go on all that kind of stuff…

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Muir posted:

Nope. 1 island per Switch. I used my husband’s profile to make a second character on my island for extra storage and stuff.

All other games will give you separate saves on your profiles for obvious reasons. I think the reason they set it to one island per Switch was so that people who share a Switch could still play the game together, since it would be difficult to do that when only one island can be played at a time.

CherryCola
Apr 15, 2002

'ahtaj alshifa

fourwood posted:

It is definitely wild. I already need to start being pretty careful about stuff like that. My kid is just over 1 and we just bought pumpkins. She was trying to pick one up that was about half her size and obviously struggling with it, so then I went to pick it up and sort of feigned having a tough time doing it and made some grunting noises acting like it was really heavy. She of course apparently thought grunting noises were the coolest thing she’d heard in a long time and spent like the next hour just crawling around grunting.

Obviously grunting isn’t something she shouldn’t be doing anything but it was a really stark example of a thing I did without even giving it much of a thought that she latched onto and started doing it repeatedly herself because it was new and interesting to a baby. And she can’t even talk yet so we have a ways to go on all that kind of stuff…

We had a teachable moment at this pizza place yesterday. They had capri suns so we got him one, and I was like "just don't squeeze it!" but all he heard was the "squeeze it" part and we almost had a total disaster. BF was like "maybe just try not to say those phrases out loud" and we had a chuckle. Pizza came and kiddo was more amazed with the melty cheese than actually eating the pizza. BF said something like "gotta put the cheese in your face not on your face!" and of course immediately the child puts cheese on his drat face. Way to go, us. :hfive:

Oh also lmao...kid wants to be super sneaky but has rolled so low for stealth and charisma. We went to this cafe for lunch where I know like half the staff. He had his big bucket of candy from the trick or treat event we went to, but the rule was he couldn't eat any of it until he ate some lunch. Apparently lunch was not a thing he was open to, so okay...no candy. Meanwhile he goes up to one of my friends, offers him a little packet of Twizzlers. Aw so sweet! And then...tries to ask for one of them. In full view of me and his dad. Buddy... (he did eat a little later and got some candy, we're not monsters)

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Oh poo poo my baby just learned to walk. :toot:

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

nesbit37 posted:

No its definitely 1 island per switch for the newest animal croasing.

Yep. Super annoying.

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

fourwood posted:

:hellyeah:

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

But also… oh no…

Olanphonia
Jul 27, 2006

I'm open to suggestions~

fourwood posted:

Congrats! It's so fun to watch them explore.

But, if you thought it was hard to corral them before...

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

fourwood posted:

But also… oh no…

But also.... :kimchi:

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
Get ready for bruised and scuffed faces!

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

sharkytm posted:

Yeah and it doesn’t stop either. Right now my nearly-4-year-old has:
- A fading scratch down the side of her ribs from falling when climbing over a fence a few weeks ago
- A sore spot at the back of her head from falling backwards into a cupboard while seated on the floor yesterday morning
- A bruise on her chest from falling off her chair this morning

All of them the result of not being able to sit still, like falling off her chair because she tried to sit on it backwards. Luckily nothing requiring medical care. She’s long stopped falling over just from being bad at walking/running, but now she seems to have entered the phase where she tries different stuff just out of curiosity and sometimes it results in a face plant all the same.

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

sharkytm posted:

Already off to a good start since yesterday we had her out on the sidewalk with her walker/cart thing walking and she hit a pothole and broke the fall with her face. :(

I guess after that she said gently caress it, can’t trust the walker to keep me safe, I just have to do it myself.

e: but also no I refuse to let my baby hurt herself again she’s never getting hurt ever I swear to god

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
Yeah, I'm sure it keeps going. My 15 month old had a scuff on his face from falling into an upholstered chair, which was replaced with a scrape/bruise from falling in our driveway from running faster than his feet could keep up with today.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
My mother in law tells a story about worrying to take my sister in law to the doc when she was a little kid because she had so many bruises from just doing kid stuff. The doc was like no ma'am, this is just what active kids look like.

gbut
Mar 28, 2008

😤I put the UN🇺🇳 in 🎊FUN🎉

A couple that I know ended up under CPS "observation" due to bruises when they took their kid to the doctor. Not the kind of people that I'd ever imagine being abusive, they are really caring and loving parents. All it takes is one suspicious nurse.

Double-edged sword, I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dobbs_Head
May 8, 2008

nano nano nano

Now I’m just imagining my bruise covered ragamuffins getting seen and feeling a bit paranoid. Getting CPS called over ordinary kid bumps a bruises would be a nightmare.

Seriously, it’s strange occurrence when my daughter DOESN’T have a bruise somewhere on her legs. She’s not even clumsy, she just plays hard.