Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I had the same exact thought. My only question is, why isn't it more widespread? You'd think this issue would be popping up all over the place.

I mean depends on what's triggering it but it seems to be doing just that, for a given value of "all over"; searching the NMS discord help channel for "network" brings up several hits of people reporting missing network options in the last 24 hours alone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

I love mysteries like this

I wonder if there is any sort of hardware commonality / software settings between the people on PC

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Well, none of us will be surprised when 4.06 comes out and includes something like:

- fixed a bug that removed all network functionality from the game (PC/Xbox/PS4/PS5)

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Well, none of us will be surprised when 4.06 comes out and includes something like:

- fixed a bug that removed all network functionality from the game (PC/Xbox/PS4/PS5)

We all got upgraded to the Switch version for no extra cost.... it's a feature. :)

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

If anyone's wanting to save scum for a perfect freighter, it's harder with the save changes but still possible on PC. You can Google around for the basic steps and then modify what's out there for the new save system.

- Exit your ship on the space station before you jump and initiate the freighter battle. Copy those save files to a backup folder in case something messes up (there's something like "saveX" and "mf_saveX" I just copy both). Keep the game's save folder open in the background for this.

- Jump to systems to check freighters. You should have time for a quick flyby without a save triggering. If it does save, your restore save should still be on the station (check save times).

- When you find a freighter you want to farm, fly around for a few minutes without killing all the pirates and check the times on your save file (either in game or in the actual save folder itself). When you see that it made an autosave, alt tab to your save folder and copy the files out of the folder that matches up with the new save time and save them to another folder/desktop etc.

- Finish the fight, enter the freighter, and scan the cargo bay on foot like usual. If it's not what you want, alt tab out and copy/paste the save you copied earlier back into the game's save folder and overwrite it. Make sure the save time matches up with your earlier save and reload. This will put you right in space at the start of the freighter battle and you can continue to save scum by repeating this last step.

It's a bit more of a pain to set up, but once you get rolling it's quicker than before since you can start right in space near the freighter. The enemies are also still flying in on approach when you start so they'll usually be clumped and quick to take down since they're grouped up.

Hakarne fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Oct 23, 2022

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Haha, almost!

Experimental patch just released today:

PoultryGeist
Feb 27, 2013

Crystals?

Haha, almost!

Experimental patch just released today:

Well that's good news. Is there a general timeline for Experimental moving to Main, or is it up in the air?

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

PoultryGeist posted:

Well that's good news. Is there a general timeline for Experimental moving to Main, or is it up in the air?

"It varies", depends on how many other things get put into it over the next few days

PoultryGeist
Feb 27, 2013

Crystals?

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

"It varies", depends on how many other things get put into it over the next few days

Makes sense. I'll just keep minding my ore extractors and buy increasingly fancy ships with the proceeds

PoultryGeist
Feb 27, 2013

Crystals?
Whelp, the patch must have gone through, I just got a warning pop-up that my Windows is too old and I therefore won't have multiplayer functions. Mystery solved, I guess

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

Are the red/black stations with only two small corridors, and no services new? I don't recall ever seeing them before, but not played a ton by any means.

Toast King
Jun 22, 2007

Rakeris posted:

Are the red/black stations with only two small corridors, and no services new? I don't recall ever seeing them before, but not played a ton by any means.

They've been around for a while but aren't super common, they're in all the abandoned systems. It was a fun little thing they added after revamping all the space stations to contain a lot more - the abandoned ones all use the original space station layout from the old versions of the game, with some ominous red on top.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Toast King posted:

They've been around for a while but aren't super common, they're in all the abandoned systems. It was a fun little thing they added after revamping all the space stations to contain a lot more - the abandoned ones all use the original space station layout from the old versions of the game, with some ominous red on top.

That's actually really neat and meta in the weirdest but most honest way.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Trying to get into this game finally after buying it a long time ago and barely playing it. Currently on the Space Anomaly and unable to leave. My ship has plenty of launch fuel, but when I get in and hit 'W' it just beeps at me. I've already spoken to the NPCs onboard, and my current mission is to return to space. I can try teleporting somewhere else with my ship and doing it there, but I'd rather just be able to leave here directly. Is this a known bug, am I screwing up, or ???

Edit: Teleported to a different space station and still can't take off.

Edit 2: It's fixed. Restarted the game and it works again :iiam:

Shooting Blanks fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Nov 9, 2022

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Feel like they've been meaning to do something with those and the Station Override keys for new base-building, turning an empty system into an inhabited one, etc.

Still, hard to fathom what that would add that's not already incorporated into settlements and freighters

slicing up eyeballs
Oct 19, 2005

I got me two olives and a couple of limes

Basic Chunnel posted:

Feel like they've been meaning to do something with those and the Station Override keys for new base-building, turning an empty system into an inhabited one, etc.

Still, hard to fathom what that would add that's not already incorporated into settlements and freighters

well for starts, having my own space station would be extremely cool

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Shooting Blanks posted:

Trying to get into this game finally after buying it a long time ago and barely playing it. Currently on the Space Anomaly and unable to leave. My ship has plenty of launch fuel, but when I get in and hit 'W' it just beeps at me. I've already spoken to the NPCs onboard, and my current mission is to return to space. I can try teleporting somewhere else with my ship and doing it there, but I'd rather just be able to leave here directly. Is this a known bug, am I screwing up, or ???

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but is "W" the launch key on PC? I play on Playstation and launch is the same button (trigger) as normal "accelerate" instead of "stick forward" which I equate the W key as being.

If so, that's a super weird bug. Liftoff from the Anomaly, space stations or landing pads doesn't use up fuel at all.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Shooting Blanks posted:

I know this is a stupid question, but have you made sure your thrusters aren't broken?

Basic Chunnel posted:

The one time I used the override key the game gave me, the station I tried it on immediately confiscated it. And while that was a really good prank, it also killed my interest in those keys dead. gently caress off with that poo poo, Hello Games.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Libluini posted:

The one time I used the override key the game gave me, the station I tried it on immediately confiscated it. And while that was a really good prank, it also killed my interest in those keys dead. gently caress off with that poo poo, Hello Games.

I keep one in my inventory and re-try it every once in awhile and then reload the save, just to see if anything's been quietly implemented

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Libluini posted:

I know this is a stupid question, but have you made sure your thrusters aren't broken?

Yeah, this. I think now if your ship experiences severe damage, it can damage tech on there as well. Maybe you got hit on the way in?

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

slicing up eyeballs posted:

well for starts, having my own space station would be extremely cool

yeah, it's this. you could argue that freighters are essentially "bases in space" which is what a space station would also be, but iirc freighters are purely single player, you can't have other people visit or collaborate on anything. so ideally a player controlled space station would be a more social experience

also it would be cool if they came up with differerent space station and building designs for gek, korvax, vykeen etc instead of having them all look exactly the same both in terms of layout and aesthetics

Oscar aint no Slouch
Apr 29, 2014
make sure you hold w to lift off, you can make the ship beep all you want by tapping w

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Earwicker posted:

but iirc freighters are purely single player, you can't have other people visit

This is false; you absolutely can have people over to check out your freighter and use things (portal, shop terminal, appearance modifier, furniture) just like a base.

CaptainSkinny
Apr 22, 2011

You get it?
No.

This is false; you absolutely can have people over to check out your freighter and use things (portal, shop terminal, appearance modifier, furniture) just like a base.

This functioning is a recent addition, so it's understandable to not know.

Also, if a ship doesn't launch it has broken launch thrusters or a broken pulse drive. There should be a tool tip that pops up to notify you why you can't launch, but I could be wrong about that part.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

CaptainSkinny posted:

This functioning is a recent addition, so it's understandable to not know.

Fair enough, and though I only meant to educate with my post. Apologies if it came off snarky, didn't mean for it to.

Oscar aint no Slouch
Apr 29, 2014
you're all technically correct because multiplayer freighter visits worked as expected when the feature originally launched, then it was broken by an update at least once, I think at some point every player freighter became *your* freighter when you landed in it, and it all became very confusing

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Oscar aint no Slouch posted:

you're all technically correct because multiplayer freighter visits worked as expected when the feature originally launched, then it was broken by an update at least once, I think at some point every player freighter became *your* freighter when you landed in it, and it all became very confusing

Well, I'm glad they fixed it. My wife and I regularly visit each other's freighter. She put up a Christmas tree on hers!

Konsek
Sep 4, 2006

Slippery Tilde
Is it normal for 3 or 4 out of 5 of my frigate expeditions to be industrial every day? It's been like this ever since I first got a freighter, no matter where I park it. I've tried looking this up online but can't find anything similar.

slicing up eyeballs
Oct 19, 2005

I got me two olives and a couple of limes

If it isn't I'd like to know how to make it happen for me, I'm hungry for those modules

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?
So I hadn't played this game since the "tech demo" that was the launch.

HOLY BALLS what a turnaround. Now it's an actual REALLY fun game!

I am 100% in on outer space Minecraft.

So far, I have 3 ships, a Freighter, ~4 million units, and a few small bases. Have only ever made a few jumps to different systems.

I have a few general questions:

- is there a faster way to make Nanites other than Broken Equipment?

- is there a faster way to get Resources than just mining everything by hand? Are the atmosphere processor and Auto Mining Unit worth it?

- are the rest of the Exocraft as useless as the little dune buggy? It's slow as poo poo (even the boost), harder to aim than being on foot, and in nearly every way more tedious than just getting out and mining poo poo by hand. Is there something I am missing? And using the melee boost I am faster on foot anyway.

- is there some way to switch the flight controls to something more like old-school Descent? Like where you have buttons for up/down/strafe, or do I just need to get used to the weird janky flight controls?

-is it worth it to repair derelict ships? Seems like a TON of effort for a not much better salvage payoff. Only thing I have fully repaired is a Class B Hauler that I liked enough to fix up, but yeah...a hour or two of work to get an extra million in scrap doesn't seem worth it, really. So last coupla times I fix the bare minimum to get it to a space station to salvage and that's it.

- what are the consequences to just blowing poo poo up- other ships, attacking freighters, etc.? Does it just reduce your ranking with whatever race it belonged to? Is that really a bad thing? Is there some other consequence I am unaware of?

TIA.

I am having a good time, just wondering about some of the less fun parts. Derping around looking for broken equipment is fine when poo poo costs like 6-700 nanites, tops, but on the freighter, there's some poo poo that's like 5k, 7k and other ridiculous numbers, and I think the most I have ever had at once was around 3k so far.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

For nanites, keep an eye out for curious deposits, they give you a ton of runaway mould which refine into nanites. Drop a base down when you find some, because they respawn if you go 500u away and come back again. You can use a portal for this, or a series of short term teleporters to take you far enough away. This is what people call a mould farm. They will give you 2000 nanites in 20 minutes for each refiner you fill up.

Also remember you harvest more of everything with a supercharged optical drill on your multitool.

For general resources, set up extractors on hotspots, the storage will fill up even if you aren't playing.

I like the motorbike best

Flight controls are what they are

The best moneymaker is crafting fusion ignitors or stasis devices which you will need to set up resource extraction and plant growing bases for.

Piracy is consequence free in pirate systems

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

the best way to get nanites is to mow down sentinels with your favorite gun and an ai minotaur, turning the glass into sentinel modules and selling those.

GHOST_BUTT
Nov 24, 2013

Fun Shoe
Honestly for general resources I've found it's easiest just to make money and buy the raw materials in bulk, store them on your freighter, and top them off when you get low.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

GHOST_BUTT posted:

Honestly for general resources I've found it's easiest just to make money and buy the raw materials in bulk, store them on your freighter, and top them off when you get low.

This is also great when you have the matter beam installed on your freighter. I highly recommend fast tracking that one.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
One note on the matter beam. The SHIP matter beam allows you to deposit to your ship from an extra 150u or something useless. The freighter version allows you to use your freighter with 10 storage modules installed from anywhere in the same system that your freighter is. Which basically makes all inventory problems vanish instantly.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

DelphiAegis posted:

One note on the matter beam. The SHIP matter beam allows you to deposit to your ship from an extra 150u or something useless. The freighter version allows you to use your freighter with 10 storage modules installed from anywhere in the same system that your freighter is. Which basically makes all inventory problems vanish instantly.

I’m glad you said that about the ship one. I found the plans and built it and wondered what I was doing wrong since I couldn’t tell anything had changed.

Looked it up and it’s more like “send/get things from the ship from anywhere in the base, not just next to it” which as you say, is p f useless

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I don't think they'll ever do this but I almost wish you could set up simple automated factories.

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

Well, not sure they are ever going to make it back from this one..

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
That's only 57 years! No biggie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Cool thing coming up

quote:

The Exobiology, Blighted, Leviathan and Polestart Expeditions have been recreated as Redux editions.

Redux expeditions are shorter versions of the primary version of the main expedition, with the same rewards, designed to offer players a chance to gain any rewards they missed from the year's expeditions.

The Redux expeditions will run over the holiday period and will be available on all platforms, including Nintendo Switch.

As well as their previous rewards, Redux expeditions will also award bonus Quicksilver to all platforms.