Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Feels Villeneuve posted:

I don't think there's a single game with online matchmaking where people didn't think the game sometimes "flags them to lose" by deliberately matching them against high rank players

This kind of thing does happen in certain games. Depending on the matchmaking, it can be hilarious if you take a break for a while then come back to find yourself severely up-matched if the developers didn't put in some decay function.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Hrist posted:

It didn't have passwords or a battery. Alternatively, Mario 2 JP fixed the issue, and punished you for trying to find some of them.

Yeah, the warp zones basically function as a way to more or less pick up where you left off. There's a reason the warp zones present you with multiple options rather than just throwing you further ahead in the game- it's a level select function.

Mario 2 JP is just a flat out sadistic romhack.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Araxxor posted:

That’s only in 1 and DS.

This is true but in the other games the numbers that the die is cycling through are randomized so "timing" your press isn't actually possible, iirc.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I never felt like Mario party gave the impression you could time your dice rolls. That's the whole point of giving you items to manipulate movement, and in some games even giving you one that makes the dice move slowly so you can time it.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Mario 2 JP is just a flat out sadistic romhack.

Every year it gets funnier and funnier how the NOA guy who play tested it went “my god, this is so unfun, what was Miyamoto-San thinking…?” because back in the day we felt like he was out of line instead of 110% right.

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

Replacing the soul crushingly difficult Mario 2 with the one we got in the West was one of the best things Nintendo ever did, big thanks to that guy

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

The Mario 2 we got is also really hard, it's just much less derivative

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Well it technically is, just not from a Mario game.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
It really is, I feel especially because at the time, a sequel being basically a mildly cosmetically different super-hard romhack was the thing every game did. Reskinning Doki Doki Panic into a mainline Mario game, of which elements were shared and later adapted into further games, IMO really expanded the whole idea of what a 'Mario game' could be, and that they didn't have to slavishly adhere to the same base mechanics to make a well received game.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

The craziest part of the whole DDP/SMB2 thing is when people say 'it's not REALLY a Mario game'.

The prototype WAS meant as a Mario game, with new mechanics like the pluck and throw stuff. They just took that Mario prototype and made a game for Fuji tv first. :shrug:

Anyway, it's amazing how much depth it has for a game that only has 20 stages. My god, did they cram that one full of wonder and awesomeness. I would pay so much for a truly updated and expanded version that gave us double, maybe triple the number of stages, with a world map and everything.

Please, Nintendo.... please.... :ohdear:

Is there a rom hack / homebrew project that expands on SMB2? And yes, I've played the GBA version.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Oct 23, 2022

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Is there a rom hack / homebrew project that expands on SMB2? And yes, I've played the GBA version.

Haven't looked through the list, but here's a list on ROMHacking.net of various SMB2 ROM hacks. There might be a couple overhauls hiding in the small graphics hacks and whatnot.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

trouble connecting my ethernet to the switch--got a usb adapter, didn't work. got another one that says compatible with n-switch on the box, the guys at the store said it definitely worked with it, and nothing. no wired connection. what should i do? the adapter is tp-link ue306. it works on my laptop.

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!

Mescal posted:

trouble connecting my ethernet to the switch--got a usb adapter, didn't work. got another one that says compatible with n-switch on the box, the guys at the store said it definitely worked with it, and nothing. no wired connection. what should i do? the adapter is tp-link ue306. it works on my laptop.

Funnily enough I just hardwired mine this morning. Used a UGreen adapter. Just immediately showed as connected for me.

Know you said you tested it on the laptop but using the same cable etc also?

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Red Warrior posted:

Funnily enough I just hardwired mine this morning. Used a UGreen adapter. Just immediately showed as connected for me.

Know you said you tested it on the laptop but using the same cable etc also?

i'm using it to post this, same outlet and cable and everything.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Somebody earlier said it was only for the original game and Mario Party DS, chill you dummies

1 is the one I’m talking about. Oh god my life is a lie.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

The Mario 2 we got is also really hard,

Lol no it isn't. git gud at the slot machine kid

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."
Sparks of Hope is so much fun. A goon earlier mentioned it being a bummer that you don’t get new weapons. Totally agree there. Other than that, I don’t have any complaints.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

:lol: not in comparison to the lost levels, no

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Happy Nintendo Online Expansion Renewal Day to everyone who subscribed to it at launch and hasn’t cancelled by now

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

The craziest part of the whole DDP/SMB2 thing is when people say 'it's not REALLY a Mario game'.

Always find it funny when people say this about SMB2 and, like, Adventure of Link, as if there's a blueprint to follow for the second game in any series.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

man nurse posted:

Happy Nintendo Online Expansion Renewal Day to everyone who subscribed to it at launch and hasn’t cancelled by now

How am I supposed to get mad at Smash Bros if I don't have the online service?!

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

wired works now shrug

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Forgot it launched with just NES games, when’re we getting Game Boy games?

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

JackDarko posted:

Sparks of Hope is so much fun. A goon earlier mentioned it being a bummer that you don’t get new weapons. Totally agree there. Other than that, I don’t have any complaints.

But you do. You unlock new skins for them, and get a damage boost every time you clear half a world, same as the original. The only difference is that you don't pay for them after unlocking them and your stats aren't tied to your weapon skin.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

FoolyCharged posted:

But you do. You unlock new skins for them, and get a damage boost every time you clear half a world, same as the original. The only difference is that you don't pay for them after unlocking them and your stats aren't tied to your weapon skin.

Yeah this way is much better, you have more flexibility when it comes to what super effects you want people to have and don’t ever have to trade damage for the right status effect

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Macaluso posted:

How am I supposed to get mad at Smash Bros if I don't have the online service?!

To clarify I’m talking about the “expansion pass” tier, not the base online service.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

why would i cancel it. golden eye is coming.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
I cant cancel what i never had

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Mescal posted:

wired works now shrug

I think on the old Dock you have to reboot the switch for wired to work.

Not so on the OLED Dock

Dpulex
Feb 26, 2013

Stux posted:

why would i cancel it. golden eye is coming.

Looking forward to playing it on the switch 3 in 2050

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

that doesnt make any sense

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Dpulex posted:

Looking forward to playing it on the switch 3 in 2050

Go pound sand.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

dpulexed again

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT

Feels Villeneuve posted:

I don't think there's a single game with online matchmaking where people didn't think the game sometimes "flags them to lose" by deliberately matching them against high rank players

this kind of thing doesn't help https://patents.google.com/patent/US20160005270A1/en

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Yeah, but nobody ever says, "drat, the matchmaking deliberately chose an enemy it thought I would win against in an attempt to keep me playing"

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

Whenever I lose in an online game it's my teammate's fault.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I actually play games online so that they have someone bad to match everyone else up with. I'm glad to finally get that off my chest.

Unless we win. Then that means I 100% carried the team on my own. :smuggo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kvx687
Dec 29, 2009

Soiled Meat
Need some advice, thread. I recently picked up the original Mario XCOM gold edition, but when I went to enter the code it came with I got an error code 2813-0055. I did some Googling and it looks like I ordered the game from a different region- it has the PEGI logo instead of ESRB so it's apparently a PAL game, and I'm registered in America. There's apparently a way to update my Nintendo ID to a different region so I can use the code and then revert back, but I haven't been able to verify the exact process and don't want to mess around with it too much. Can anyone explain what I need to do? I don't have a pro subscription or any money in my wallet so that shouldn't be an issue, I think.