Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Lol were really doing this now of all times

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

now it's Spinner's* time to shine

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Dolash posted:

I believe what a villain would do is probably set up a system where those who are different are exploited and segregated from society, because that's a much more plausible sort of villain that resonates better with the times we find ourselves in, as opposed to a villain which leverages the real grievances of an underclass to turn them into a dangerous and violent mob that the heroic riot police must taser into submission, which exists only in political fantasies.

Edit: we also don't have to pretend there's nothing going on here, I don't think Horikoshi wrote this by accident.

I mean
you are reading a story about about heroic superhumans who works with state approval and fight hateful criminals that are trying to subvert the status quo with violent means
what did you expect

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Dolash posted:

I believe what a villain would do is probably set up a system where those who are different are exploited and segregated from society, because that's a much more plausible sort of villain that resonates better with the times we find ourselves in, as opposed to a villain which leverages the real grievances of an underclass to turn them into a dangerous and violent mob that the heroic riot police must taser into submission, which exists only in political fantasies.

Edit: we also don't have to pretend there's nothing going on here, I don't think Horikoshi wrote this by accident.

It isn't established that the system is set up like this, it's just racists being racist. The chapter highlights that in the cities things are changing and it's out in the country away from the system that you still have bigotry. I imagine the next couple of chapters are going to talk more about this and we'll probably get Shouji's backstory so I think its a bit soon to be immediately calling Horikoshi a fascist.

I was actually checking the chapter again and call me crazy but when they're showing the massacre there's a guy in a suit who could plausibly be AfO. It wouldn't surprise me if he was behind poo poo like this tbh. Another seed he can use later.

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Oct 21, 2022

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Nephthys posted:

I was actually checking the chapter again and call me crazy but when they're showing the massacre there's a guy in a suit who could plausibly be AfO. It wouldn't surprise me if he was behind poo poo like this tbh. Another seed he can use later.

this would make it even worse. you can't lay all societal ills at the feet of just one Dastardly Guy, it's such a cop-out

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost

Oxxidation posted:

this would make it even worse. you can't lay all societal ills at the feet of just one Dastardly Guy, it's such a cop-out

But that's what shonen audiences seem to enjoy, so why shouldn't they do it?

Feels like shonen writers look at One Piece's recurring plot of "bad guy comes and makes everyone's life miserable" and think "I should make my entire story just like that! Plus it's the easiest way to make the audiences dislike them and also redeem my other villains!"

Delphisage fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Oct 22, 2022

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

Nephthys posted:

It isn't established that the system is set up like this, it's just racists being racist. The chapter highlights that in the cities things are changing and it's out in the country away from the system that you still have bigotry. I imagine the next couple of chapters are going to talk more about this and we'll probably get Shouji's backstory so I think its a bit soon to be immediately calling Horikoshi a fascist.

No he's a hack and a moron, not a fascist. But this reads like what if protesting racism was actually evil and created by an evil organization.

At least he found a new way to suck?

Time for spinner! oh wait he's just an evil golem now and also lmao at ever giving a poo poo about spinner.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

one piece's plot is pretty rarely 'bad guy comes and makes everyone's life miserable' on its own tbh

in fact its pretty much the opposite, most one piece arcs after alabasta are about a guy who's already made everyone's lives miserable and has been for decades, and how they intertwine with the history of the island the straw hats are on. like dressrosa is bad because doflamingo but there's also a lot of attention paid to the history of dressrosa, how doflamingo is the way he is because of the world nobles, how the government allowed him to do what he wanted, etc

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost

Endorph posted:

one piece's plot is pretty rarely 'bad guy comes and makes everyone's life miserable' on its own tbh

in fact its pretty much the opposite, most one piece arcs after alabasta are about a guy who's already made everyone's lives miserable and has been for decades, and how they intertwine with the history of the island the straw hats are on. like dressrosa is bad because doflamingo but there's also a lot of attention paid to the history of dressrosa, how doflamingo is the way he is because of the world nobles, how the government allowed him to do what he wanted, etc

I know that, that's what makes them work even when - if not most especially when - they ingrain themselves into the lives of the islanders. The problems are all pre-existing, they're just exploiting them in the way that's most personally beneficial.

I have no idea what I am talking about.

Delphisage fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Oct 22, 2022

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Nah. The problems in One piece are usually solved by defeating the usurper and putting the rightful king back on the throne. See: Alabasta, Fishmen Island, Dressrosa, Wano

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Oxxidation posted:

next it's gonna turn out the hero assassination squad Nagant was a part of was headed by AFO

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost

CharlestonJew posted:

next it's gonna turn out the hero assassination squad Nagant was a part of was headed by AFO

Didn't we already have them all killed off by a Redestro copy? Why do we need to Danzo this poo poo further?

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
Feel like a lot of these things would be solved if we started actually waiting for the real release instead of squabbling over fan tls that are never good

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

Flesnolk posted:

Feel like a lot of these things would be solved if we started actually waiting for the real release instead of squabbling over fan tls that are never good

Who are you and what did you do with the real Flesnolk?

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
MHA has absolutely been on a steep downward dive and is nowhere near what it was, but I do think a lot of thread sentiment comes from these shoddy speedscans that as often as not misrepresent what's actually in the chapter

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Going to edit a climactic Midoriya moment with "TAKE MY ALL, ALL FOR ONE!"

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I don't think the scans have much to do with how people feel about mha right now

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Manatee Cannon posted:

I don't think the scans have much to do with how people feel about mha right now

There absolutely were several instances where the shittyness of speed scans completely distorted what had happened in the chapter and the actual official release was nowhere as bad.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

"not as bad" and "not bad" aren't the same thing

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost
I mostly find the biggest issues in the difference in interpretation between summary leaks and speedscans. For example, the summary of this chapter said that Spinner and his mutants didn't understand anything they were saying other than keywords like "power" and "All For One", framing them as dupes who didn't know what they were doing. Then the speedscans showed that this was actually Spinner losing his ability to comprehend speech because of the "power" that "All For One" gave him to turn giant, which just meant Spinner was struggling to stay conscious under quirk toll.

For another example, this thread infamously had a huge circlejerk over interpreting "Hawks takes Twice out of Dabi's flames" as "Dabi killed Twice to get to Hawks", and that led to several posters deciding not to talk about new chapters until speedscans hit when it turned out that wasn't true. There was also a point in 2018 where initial leaks boasted that Dabi was a double agent for Hero Society instead of Hawks.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Lt. Lizard posted:

There absolutely were several instances where the shittyness of speed scans completely distorted what had happened in the chapter

When? Because at best it's "Slightly better worded but still terrible" which isn't a complete distortion of what happened, it's just slightly better wording of a lovely plot point

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
That was mostly the leaked synopsis which is why we don't post them anymore.

I can probably count on one hand the times the translation was wrong in a significant enough way to change the meaning of a chapter.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
For this one I'm interested in the official release primarily for cleaner scans, because I had a bit of trouble following the action.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Oct 22, 2022

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
spinner's internal dialogue in the official somehow makes this even worse

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
I really don't understand the fence-sitting being done by the writing here.

It's very weird to have the guy giving speeches to fire up the crowd of angry rioters go "Well, things are pretty great in the cities and are seemingly getting even better, but hey, outside of the cities they suck. Burn it all down!". It makes the entire "we want to tear down society" thing going on here feel confused and stupid, because by the rabble rouser's own admission things are actively getting better in society for people like them and it's primarily only still lovely out in the sticks. This whole riot would have made a lot more sense if speech dude just went "everyone is racist to us, gently caress em".

It's also really funny that all of these people are gleefully following their representative, Spinner, who has very clearly and blatantly been reduced to a drooling barely sapient cartoon ogre who has trouble forming simple words.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

https://www.viz.com/shonenjump/my-hero-academia-chapter-370/chapter/25710?action=read
https://mangaplus.shueisha.co.jp/viewer/1014422

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Tentacole was mask-fishing us the whole time? :allears:

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

it's a shame people being lovely drove the translator off twitter, I would've loved to have some insight as to how one approaches the "this never-before-mentioned racial pogrom is also a star wars reference" problem

Flair
Apr 5, 2016
The people with mutant quirks being mistreated seems to lack a lot of buildup to other topics that have culminated during this war (e.g. domestic violence, ambivalent relationships, etc.) Then the speaker also ends it off with saying that mutants in the city are treated well, but they want to attack a hospital in a big city because they are mistreated well in non-urban areas. With Mezo's comment, I understand that their plan is not supposed to make sense for their cause, but it comes off as weird given our real world and that in fiction, "cities have solved this issue."

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

FilthyImp posted:

Tentacole was mask-fishing us the whole time? :allears:

In my head, his name is Tentacool, because Horikoshi didn't know the English localization of that particular pokemon.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
lol the author's blm parallel has decided to attack a hospital inc. all the patients inside of it and is led by a face with literally 0 ability for complex thought. cool and good writing in this last stretch for sure.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

yeah, this reads as Horikoshi both-sidesing and also literally thinking cities have "solved" this issue, not having heard about anything like the "in TYOL 2022 we applied to jobs, loans, housing with a white-sounding/stereotypical name and a black-sounding/stereotypical name using the same resume and the latter got it like 30% less often" type studies at all, while continuing the Flag Stompers-style trend of comic books putting leftists and villains into the same character as a shortcut to a sympathetic backstory despite not entirely disagreeing with them

galenanorth fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Oct 23, 2022

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I'm not gonna say I've never enjoyed stories that have used this basic premise, but I enjoyed those stories in spite of that premise because they actually delved into the psychology of the character who was going "too far." This is... not doing that.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Maybe he's trying to riff on January 6th? :v:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i dont think hes referencing blm tbh, japan has also seen some protests in recent years despite that being much rarer over there. the way this is being played feels much more in line with that, with the idea of a protest itself being shocking and disorienting to the characters

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Endorph posted:

i dont think hes referencing blm tbh, japan has also seen some protests in recent years despite that being much rarer over there. the way this is being played feels much more in line with that, with the idea of a protest itself being shocking and disorienting to the characters

I was thinking the same. Calling this a BLM, Jan 6th or Occupy stand in doesn't make sense. Horikoshi is a Japanese writer who has no connection to any of those movements and possibly has barely paid any attention to them. It would be better to examine this from a perspective on Japanese racial and social politics. From the little I can gather, Japan doesn't have much in the way of open racial conflict like the US does however racial discrimination isn't actually outlawed there and a lot of the country is socially conservative. But it also isn't a very diverse country so discrimination isn't something people encounter a lot. TBH I agree that it could just be that the very idea of a protest is something alarming to Japanese sensibilities.

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Oct 23, 2022

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
Dude who created the Most American Man, All Might, surely doesn't pay attention to things happening in America.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Everything is about America, all the time, even when it's not

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Mymla posted:

Dude who created the Most American Man, All Might, surely doesn't pay attention to things happening in America.
theres a difference between liking american superheroes and keeping up with american politics. if you put a samurai in your western comic book that doesn't mean you'd be up to date on japanese politics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Endorph posted:

theres a difference between liking american superheroes and keeping up with american politics. if you put a samurai in your western comic book that doesn't mean you'd be up to date on japanese politics.

Sure, but I might still have heard about abe's assassination, much like how I imagine most japanese people heard about the protests in 2020.