Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013
in open role queue i've encountered..

1. Guy who spams "everyone go DPS, it will be fun" and then calls people losers and virgins if they don't go DPS
2. Any number of people calling junkrat players losers and trash, encouraging suicide etc.
3. people saying "X diff" but i dont know what that means :v:

ive been playing Echo more and more, trying to get her to click. she's pretty fun, but wow the new maps feel like they really went ham with invisible walls above buildings and at the edge of the map. they really have a particular flow in mind for the robot push maps, i guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hobbes
Sep 12, 2000
Forum Veteran
Dinosaur Gum
I had a player last night who started out with "why am I healer wtf", locked Moira and went for about a 5:1 damage:healing ratio, had more deaths than assists, and told the rest of his team we sucked the rest of the match.

First chance getting to play a lot the last few days after computer and internet problems during the launch. Playerbase still dumb and toxic. Water still wet.
Game's fun though, 10/10 will solo queue again.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

New Doomfist is hard to get used to. You can no longer preload punches so I keep cancelling my ground slam just before impact. :argh:
Also whiffing the charged punch, but that's normal.

He is still fun character to play, even if getting kills with him is way harder.

Quotey
Aug 16, 2006

We went out for lunch and then we stopped for some bubble tea.

Jimbot posted:

Did they make Moira more Irish? I don't remember the accent the last time I played. It's more pronounced. Or my memory is bad.

Scholtz posted:

No but they made everyone else less Irish so it sticks out more.

lmao

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

Scoreboard chat: I like it to be able to see my own stats but I think you shouldn't be able to see the enemy scoreboard honestly. That would go a long way towards stopping dickheads saying "tank diff" etc which is happening a lot in games I've played in. Fortunately I'm usually support and I'm not the brunt of it but tanks and dps get it a lot. Spectator mode would still be able to see both for casters etc. Still going to get DPS and supports on the same team comparing each others stats though but it's a step to reduce toxicity at least

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Just Chamber posted:

Scoreboard chat: I like it to be able to see my own stats but I think you shouldn't be able to see the enemy scoreboard honestly. That would go a long way towards stopping dickheads saying "tank diff" etc which is happening a lot in games I've played in. Fortunately I'm usually support and I'm not the brunt of it but tanks and dps get it a lot. Spectator mode would still be able to see both for casters etc. Still going to get DPS and supports on the same team comparing each others stats though but it's a step to reduce toxicity at least

No, it wouldn't.

People are going to say X diff no matter what happens when they win/lose. It has nothing to do with the scoreboard.

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

BabyRyoga posted:

No, it wouldn't.

People are going to say X diff no matter what happens when they win/lose. It has nothing to do with the scoreboard.

It isn't a fix to end it. But it has increased a huge amount since OW1. It definitely plays a massive part.

Just Chamber fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Oct 23, 2022

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Just Chamber posted:

It isn't a fix to end it. But it has increased a huge amount fold since OW1. It definitely plays a massive part.

If they show less info in OW2 than OW1, and the amount of shitbags has increased, what does that say about a correlation between the score and toxicity?

These people are the type that have that on c/p ready to go right when the game ends

Don't Ask
Nov 28, 2002

Don't Ask posted:

I'm not sure that I understand how endorsements work, do they actually do anything? Apparently I've levelled up my endorsements to lvl2 but nothing actually happened?
Also is there no way to unlock skins and emotes and poses etc with lootboxes? How are you supposed to get anything now? I absolutely refuse to buy a battle pass, does that mean I'm SOL for new drops?

Quoting myself for the new page.

Also what the hell does diff mean in this context?

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

BabyRyoga posted:

If they show less info in OW2 than OW1, and the amount of shitbags has increased, what does that say about a correlation between the score and toxicity?

These people are the type that have that on c/p ready to go right when the game ends

Am I misreading or are you saying they show less info in OW2? Because it's the opposite. The toxicity is always going to be there anyway obviously. But I think the scoreboard has just given idiots something they can point to and justify calling their team poo poo in chat because the other teams dps has 5 more elims or whatever, ones that before might not have typed their garbage but they now feel emboldened because there's numbers to back them up. I can take or leave having the scoreboard being public at all, but I get overwatch is trying to be more generic to appeal to more people.

I will say though that I think those of you that completely disable the chat are the smart ones.

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

Don't Ask posted:

Quoting myself for the new page.

Also what the hell does diff mean in this context?

Tank diff/ difference for example means they believe one tank was better than the other to the point it won/ lost them the game. Usually said by the losing team to essentially call their DPS/tank/ support dogshit compared to the enemy team.

Just Chamber fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Oct 23, 2022

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
I have to imagine the game going from paid to free has a much larger overall impact on its community than any single scoreboard display adjustment, competitive free to play games tend to have especially bad communities from my experience. Also back when I played the original OW the "x diff" thing didn't even exist yet, so to me it feels like people have simply latched on to the newest low-effort way to be lovely to each other.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Just Chamber posted:

Am I misreading or are you saying they show less info in OW2? Because it's the opposite. The toxicity is always going to be there anyway obviously. But I think the scoreboard has just given idiots something they can point to and justify calling their team poo poo in chat because the other teams dps has 5 more elims or whatever, ones that before might not have typed their garbage but they now feel emboldened because there's numbers to back them up. I can take or leave having the scoreboard being public at all, but I get overwatch is trying to be more generic to appeal to more people.

I will say though that I think those of you that completely disable the chat are the smart ones.

The medals are gone, and those were like the number one limp dick "Hey look at me, my team sucks" thing in the entire game by far. Fire is gone (for now), cards are gone, etc. Haters are always gonna find something to hate about, the scoreboard is completely irrelevant. They should give us scoreboards with 5 times as many completely useless stats, like number of footsteps taken.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

It's nice to preempt "tank diff" or whatever by saying "fun diff" or "cool username diff"

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

the irony with people pointing at the scoreboard to whine is there are lots of situations where healing or doing any damage is obviously the incorrect and terrible play and can result in swings of thousands of stat points for making the bad play

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
You can do like 1 dmg and get an elimination, the stats mean very little

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)

Mister Fister posted:

Whoops! Looks like i'm actually a few wins away from diamond... think i might get to it tomorrow. I hate how they changed everything and now i'm confused about my rank (even the drat rank badges changed).

44 games won, 39 games lost (41 games won, 31 games lost w/ my main zarya)

But yeah, agree with eveyrone about zarya, i'm playing her 99% of the time. She bullies everyone except winston who is actually somewhat effective against her.

Ok NOW i'm diamond. Today's the last day to abuse Zarya before she becomes less abusable :(

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

I loving give up. Every QP tank match goes the same way. Win first map, get steamrolled on next two. I must have lost more than 10 matches in a row in exactly the same way.

Two Owls
Sep 17, 2016

Yeah, count me in

Well, the stats do reveal if it's a new player with genuinely no idea. I've had a Widow with 80 damage and a DVa with no mitigation at all. The DVa got POTG with a nuke, so I have no idea what was happening there.

I'm not sure what say in that situation without sounding like a patronizing dick.

Two Owls fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Oct 23, 2022

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

I don't chat about scoreboard, but I typically endorse anyone with below average deaths for their role / the situation

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Aipsh posted:

I also once got told “Mercy W” and still racking my head trying to figure out what it means

It's Mercy's W

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

while low deaths can be a sign of good play, it can also be a sign of too much passivity and therefore *lucio voice* suboptimal play

some people play way too far back where they suffer from damage falloff, associated lack of headshots, and inability to do stuff like frequently land impactful ana nades even though her heal stat looks massive.

something I'm also guilty of is continuing to play a low risk playstyle (i.e. too passive, conserving life) when the enemy just killed your main tank or whatever. the actually less risky play (probability wise) is to go for "high risk" haymakers to try to swing the fight back since you have nothing to lose since you've almost already lost the fight anyways.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Scoreboard seems alright for checking to see who is feeding, yeah? If a player has a bunch of deaths and not very meaningful numbers in the other categories for their respective roles, that's probably the only viable metric for determining their match effectiveness, right?

Char
Jan 5, 2013
If they have a lot of deaths they aren't going to have meaningful numbers, anyone spending a lot of time dead isn't shooting/healing/mitigating.
But "a lot of deaths" needs to be put into context.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

teagone posted:

Scoreboard seems alright for checking to see who is feeding, yeah? If a player has a bunch of deaths and not very meaningful numbers in the other categories for their respective roles, that's probably the only viable metric for determining their match effectiveness, right?

i've come around a bit on this because if I'm playing Lucio I can have way fewer deaths than, say, my DPS at the end of the match just because of basic escapability

but yeah deaths can also be evidence that some dude is YOLOing 1v5 between fights over and over again

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

If your supports have a lot of deaths and more than anyone else that's probably not a sign that they're playing poorly (unless they're constantly frontlining or flanking) but probably more a sign that your DPS or tank aren't peeling to help them.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

deaths on the scoreboard is absolutely not the way to see someone is feeding, intentionally or not

the only way to see that is to see them do a really dumb 1v5 or whatever play in a specific situation where they can't possibly get a pick or safely farm ult charge

someone might die as widow/hanzo in a 1v5 situation during the regroup phase, but they may have made the absolutely correct decision trying to farm picks and just rolled unlucky getting triple dinked by zen. you're bad and stupid if you flame or blame them!

if someone dies every team fight and gets extra deaths rejoining team fights, that doesn't mean they are bad or feeding. it can mean they are not playing overly passive and trying to properly swing lost fights.

the only number that measures overall skill and impact is the hidden elo number.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
just give Brig her stun back, but it only works on Reaper, Tracer, and Genji.

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

I think the scoreboard made me less frustrated at some of my losses, because I can see just how much we're getting our poo poo stomped. It's made it easier to accept this is just one of those matches, do your best, gg go next etc. and not dwell on it

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
if someone is good at ow they will be aggressively resetting as soon as a fight is lost which is going to lead to more deaths and way less damage than someone bad who insists on dragging fights out until the other team kills them each time or the other team stops chasing. Latter dude will have significantly more damage but will also cause his team to lose a ton of games due to starting every single fight with a 20+ second stagger

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

Yeah I don't think you can conclude anything from scoreboard but you can kind of see the landscape.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

There really isn't any winning when you solo queue. If you get DPS the support can't seem to figure out how to heal and if you get support the DPS seem only capable of attacking the enemy tank. If you get lucky enough to have people that aren't poo poo you get a sweaty Hanzo player on the enemy team with 3x as many eliminations as the rest of his team.

SadisTech
Jun 26, 2013

Clem.
Scoreboard numbers can also be very open to misinterpretation by the dumb because they don't realise that roles are highly interdependent. DPS Moiras bitching about outdamaging both DPS when they haven't been healing so their team just dies while they fade around, sucking slowly, not realising that most of their already mediocre healing number is just on themselves.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Lol something busted on the servers. Tried to load into Mystery Heroes and got into this bugged rear end room where our team is locked in spawn and the timer is frozen at 6:32 "Unspecified"

Idiot Doom Spiral
Jan 2, 2020

headcase posted:

Yeah I don't think you can conclude anything from scoreboard but you can kind of see the landscape.

It’s a huge trap for learning players and encourages trash damage + trash-damage producing behavior/heroes (f.ex. junkrat, moira). All that matters is timing and importance of the kill - things like damage-to-kill conversion or kill-to-cap conversion would be much more useful stats.

Also trash damage actively hurts your team by donating ult charge and zarya charge.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Damage generates as much ult charge as healing.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
I don't really care what people say, getting constantly dove on by Genji as Mercy/Zen sucks and switching to Moira counters them enough for them to switch. That's good enough for me.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Jack Trades posted:

Damage generates as much ult charge as healing.

support ults are much more impactful tho

PhoenixFlaccus
Jul 15, 2011

KFC Famous Bowl
I just won 7 of 8 in role queue (solo) and didn’t get out of bronze 5. Seems like it’s still bugged but they said it’s fixed so idk. Feels lovely, I don’t think I’m doing that bad but can’t get out of bronze 5 after about 3 of these sets of 7 wins as tank.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hashy
Nov 20, 2005

i've just been falling into a QP zen state of going Doomfist into a team until they switch 1 by 1 into a counter, like Orisa, then Sombra, then junkrat, then moira and Ana, at which point I definitely cant do anything and we lose. better luck next time.