Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
I managed to have the cement mixer leg break right as I was pulling it past my Dart, which now has a dent on the right rear corner. Of course right where the creased body line is at. Nice. Oh well, another thing learn to fix I guess.

Edit: ...and that wasn't worth page sniping neither.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Cross posting:

Just rearranged my under-house garage to be able to fit a third car for winter storage.

I put the S2000 on wheel dollies and maneuvered it around the extremely inconvenient post in the middle of the garage. The DR350 went in the corner of the workbench area. There’s still room to walk around the S2K and grab loose wheels, etc.

Then I put the plastic floor tiles back and brought in the pair of Si’s and the KTM.

There’s still room to walk around everything and access the water shutoff, water softener, and all the winter equipment (boots/shovels) by the oil tank.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Started looking up shops that’ll install Dynamat or the like. I know it’s my fault, but this thing is too loud. I’m thinking of getting rid of this car because it was already an engaging experience on Chicagoland’s roads before I hard-mounted the shifter to the body.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

The frozen north has once again become just that.
Nighttime temperatures have dropped below zero which means it's winter tire time.

The summer shoes get to hibernate.

Back to the old faithful Super Advans with Gislaved Nordfrost 5's.

The rear summer tires have certainly worn down a little.

Side effect of all that Eurobeat I suppose.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
ok so I think i need COFFEE BOSS livery for the integra

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

Panty Saluter posted:

ok so I think i need COFFEE BOSS livery for the integra

Yeah you do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lv2l1JKuxxY

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Those 3 spokes are hot.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Copy pasta from my personal thread:
Did an oil change and some maintenance on the CV this past weekend. Only the finest Krikland oil for my baby:

They didn't have the specified 5W-20, so it gets 5W-30. Full synthetic, though. Cheaper than the O'Reilly's house brand dino oil. Even the Mobil 1 synthetic Costco had was cheaper.

I... might have procrastinated a bit.

:doh:

I would have gotten a sample for Blackstone, but a) dat interval, and b) I've forgotten how much I added between changes. At least 6 quarts, since I used up what I had bought *last time* for an oil change. I don't know where it's going. It's not leaking, and no obvious burning, so probably just burning a little bit, but not enough to smoke.

Next I wanted to find a rattle I kept hearing in the accessory belt system. I though initially it was just the AC compressor clattering, but it happens with the AC off, so no. Tracked it down to the tensioner pully bearing having a bit of play in it, so removed that, and rediscovered the shim I had installed:

To correct this:

I had a new bearing for it that I had bought previously while trying to find the source of the chirping noise I kept hearing - which was that contact against the timing cover pictured previously. I put that in, and installed it a but further in to see if I could get the pulley further away from the engine, but the belt had other ideas:

Which lead me to investigate further, finally noticing this:
http://i.imgur.com/a5EGMs1.mp4
edit: that's right, you have to use "original size" and without the link.

A new Motorcraft tensioner is on order. Surprisingly cheaper on Amazon ($45) than Rock Auto, after shipping.
edit: in the mean time, I put the shim back.

While under there, I noticed this little guy for the first time:

Passenger front. Guess I will need to look up what that's supposed to be for. I'm wondering if it might be for the temp sensor used in the civilian models equipped with the automatic AC control, but it could be anything.

Darchangel fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Oct 24, 2022

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

These showed up earlier this week while I was away. OEM-style replacements for the blue Si. Honda wanted $1400 for a set, and these came in at under $600.

They’re made in China but the quality and finish look very good, and they are the same weight as the OEM wheels so that’s a bonus. I will probably wait until spring to put tires on them but the price was right so I jumped.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
what's the weight like? I'd expect it to be a bit heavy compared to OE. that being said, i might need a set for the Integra. who's the seller?

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Panty Saluter posted:

what's the weight like? I'd expect it to be a bit heavy compared to OE. that being said, i might need a set for the Integra. who's the seller?

They’re 16.5lb according to my bathroom scale, which is approximately what the stock EM1 wheels weigh.

eBay link:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2248653211...emis&media=COPY

Seller is factorywheelreplacement in case the link doesn’t work. They have low stock remaining which is why I decided to take the gamble and grab a set.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
Thanks, just got a set of the black alloys cause yeah, that price is hard to argue with

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

You got the ones with the black paint instead of silver on the spoke sides? You’ll have to let me know how those look. I briefly considered them but decided on silver because it looks more stock.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
Yeah, my car is black and i thought it might enhance the contrast. or something.

Now that I'm not gonna gently caress with painting the steelies, it's time to rebuild the front end in earnest

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Darchangel posted:

Passenger front. Guess I will need to look up what that's supposed to be for. I'm wondering if it might be for the temp sensor used in the civilian models equipped with the automatic AC control, but it could be anything.

Later model (03+ I believe) P71s have a completely different harness, and shouldn't have the wiring for any civilian stuff that couldn't be optioned with a SAP model. I'm fairly certain SAP could not be optioned with the automatic climate control.

EDIT: I may be wrong on the year cutoff, it may have been 06+ where they removed all the extra wiring. I'll have to dig up a diagram, I'm curious now. I just poked around a little on my 07, and couldn't find a plug with that color combo. Doesn't help that that's one of the most common plug types on every car ever though. I know my car doesn't have any wiring for the ETAC (the only unused non-P71 specific wiring I've found has been for a driver's side power seat, which could be optioned in both a regular P71 and SAP P71), but the PCM does use outside air temp as part of the air/fuel guesswork (I believe it's part of the MAF on mine).

That Kirkland oil is made by Warren, FWIW - it's pretty good going by BITOG and PQIA, pretty drat close to Supertech Synthetic (Walmart house brand, also made by Warren, and drat good for the money). Seems Costco has raised the sale price of 6 packs of Mobil 1 considerably, so I've gone back to grabbing two 5 qt jugs of Mobil 1 from Walmart and changing both cars at the same time. Vic is 5w20 and slightly under 6 quarts, Matrix is 5w30 and right at 4 quarts; neither leak or burn enough to need topping off between twice yearly oil changes, so I just use the excess from the Matrix to finish off the Vic. If I wasn't a Mobil 1 snob I'd be using either Kirkland or Supertech; I used the HEB version (another Warren brand) in the Subaru since my employee discount made it stupid cheap.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Oct 29, 2022

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
I made a much bigger project when I tried to get the 24 year old soft lines off the car :smithicide:

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Rust belt: Not Even Once

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Darchangel posted:

Rust belt: Not Even Once

Agreed, but that's where my parents hosed so I didn't have a lot of say. I guess I could divest myself of the car but I think that would make me even sadder

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Your fault for staying after you learned to drive.

edit: I am kidding. No one get upset, please.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
Thought that but wasn't gonna post it.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
Ha. The irony is I did leave eventually. I have kept this car because I love it even though it hurts me.

One the cheap irony front, I tried the coupling on the passenger side and it popped free with little more than the weight of of my hand. I should be grateful but it almost feels like a middle finger at this point. :nallears:

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

If it makes you feel any better, I have mangled brake fittings here in TX, on cars that were TX cars as far as I know, with no notable rust. Mainly from crappy tubing wrenches (learned that lesson quick) or restricted access prohibiting proper wrench usage, but sometimes they just tight.
Cut off the flare and flare a new on on, if you can. Put the fitting on first!

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
I may try that even though the hard line is looking rough. Worst thing that happens it crumbles and I replace the line anyway.

Poking around it seems Honda used soft metal that's easy to round off anyway. I also half suspect a botched accident repair from many years might have melted or otherwise compromised this fitting. From what I can see their welding was a bit haphazard. Who knows, it's decades too late anyway.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

If it’s a 90’s Honda, just replace the whole line. When we got my son’s Del Sol I made new rear hard lines to the wheel cylinders and I had the inspection shop do the entire front hard lines from the proportioning valve forward. Just crumbly at every connection.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
You win the prize :v:

I'm going to see what Rockauto has since shopping locally always seems to create more confusion and also not have what I need

edit: what is a double flare? I saw someone talking about hondas using double flare fittings but the only options i see are bubble and inverted?

Panty Saluter fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Nov 2, 2022

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

A double flare is exactly what it sounds like: it's flared twice. In fact, you make a bubble flare first then flare it again. It's also called "inverted" and almost definitely what an asian or domestic car needs.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
danke, I did not know that inverted was interchangeable with double flare. yay, learning new industry-specific terms!

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

I'm just going to link this for brakes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Tm6N5l69_c

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

It has wheels so it counts :colbert:

We woke up to 3' heavy wet snow drifts.

which forced me into fixing the snowblower than i've been ignoring for years.

I didn't get many pics beause my hands were covered in gas the whole time, but the machine is seemingly designed to make fixing small issues as cumbersome as possible.

Carb gore:

that's why she spittin won't loving start. the carb gunge was like axle grease.

zoom and enhance

and that's why she's leakin. The gasket just completely turned to dust.

https://i.imgur.com/Nk6Lwws.mp4

starts within a couple spins and runs like new.

I did as much of the block as i could to get some gas run through it.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Panty Saluter posted:

I may try that even though the hard line is looking rough. Worst thing that happens it crumbles and I replace the line anyway.

Poking around it seems Honda used soft metal that's easy to round off anyway. I also half suspect a botched accident repair from many years might have melted or otherwise compromised this fitting. From what I can see their welding was a bit haphazard. Who knows, it's decades too late anyway.

Mazda used really soft fittings, too - the fittings on one of my RX-7s are the ones I nearly rounded with cheap wrenches.
Ended up cracking them loose carefully with properly adjusted Vice Grips, then filing the burs off and using a normal wrench the rest of the way. From that day, I literally threw away the crappy tubing wrenches and bought some decent (used) Craftsman wrenches.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
I have some Sunex crow's foot wrenches, which I thought was at least half decent. It never fit easily on the driver's side, so who knows. It may well have been damaged before I started monkeying with anything. The same crow's foot wrench fit easy and clean on the passenger side.

Also thanks to Mustache Ride for that video on forming brake lines, it was very illuminating

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Darchangel posted:

Ended up cracking them loose carefully with properly adjusted Vice Grips, then filing the burs off and using a normal wrench the rest of the way.

i have used my stanley locking adjustable in a similar situation

Kivi
Aug 1, 2006
I care
Fitted winter tires.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Raluek posted:

i have used my stanley locking adjustable in a similar situation

That's why I need to get one of those.
I've got a set of the smaller Vice Grips with the v-groove for hex nits, but that actual adjustable wrench is just a level up.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.
My car got into a calendar today!

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
More pics!

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Panty Saluter posted:

danke, I did not know that inverted was interchangeable with double flare. yay, learning new industry-specific terms!

Depends. Inverted flare just means the nut has external threads on it and the fitting it screws into has internal threads, while the flare still faces the same way. Regular flare nuts are internal thread, regular flare fittings are external thread.

The more important feature to discuss on brake systems is the double vs single flare. Single flare is absolutely not safe for brakes, it will eventually fail. Double flare as motronic said is a two step process, you start by doing something that's almost an ISO bubble flare but isn't, using a funny little button thing that comes with the flare tool, and then you do it again without that and it collapses the almost bubble flare into a double flare.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Brake/fuel line flare talk... the correct type of flare is very important for things to work right and last. Most parts stores have anywhere from garbage to mostly-usable flare tools for rent. Make sure you take your time, prepare the ends (clean up and lube) and put the fitting on first.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

There’s also AN and JIC flare fittings, which use a 37° single or double flare, depending on tube material. The two are near identical except for the fitting threads. You won’t see them on OE stuff anymore that I’m aware of, but AN especially is prevalent in the automotive aftermarket.

What I’m saying is to always check to make sure your flare tool is for the right flare angle before you start work. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!
Cobbled together a car stand last weekend out of some I beams I had laying around, running out of reasons to start working on it finally. I'm happy with how stable this setup is, I have yet to see how hard it is to get the casters over the lip into the garage but I have a trick I can do with my pallet jack for that.

It's no lift but it will fit in my low ceiling garage and let me tear into the suspension much easier.