Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
People around Seattle will say poo poo about how Seattle is so dirty and in "have you never been to any other cities at all? I watched a rat run up and steal the end of a hot dog from my friends hand in NYC" and they'll just look confused. That whole literally throwing bags of trash directly onto the side walk kind of floored me.

Cleanest fuckin city I've been to here in America and the fuckin locals got words. Of course the allys smell like piss in the morning. Not like there's any bathrooms for people to use in the whole downtown area after 9pm.

Destroy the automobile. Add more free to use public bathrooms. My plan to fix America.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Yeah, Seattle didn’t seem that dirty to me, just well…you could tell the character was being drained from the town. Portland isn’t that different now, just smaller and more chaotic.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

silicone thrills posted:

Destroy the automobile. Add more free to use public bathrooms. My plan to fix America.

About that
https://twitter.com/SFNext/status/1583559106484666369?t=1HmOSGQo5ga9wKbQVvcYsA&s=19

idk what the solution is. I feel like the state has been utterly defanged, partially from the inside and not just by republicans, and it's now impossible for it to do anything at all.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
lol sure thing bro it's just a "city" problem and not the whole trashfire of america

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose
oops double post

Deadly Ham Sandwich has issued a correction as of 16:08 on Oct 23, 2022

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

Palladium posted:

boy wait till you see 1st and 2nd tier china cities

it's especially funny when even the singapore's own prime minister commented on how backwards singapore is compared to china now
That's wild how fast China's urbanism progressed.

TeenageArchipelago posted:

Look left turn right
- A. Driver
Yeah, I see this daily. Drivers only look out for incoming car traffic that could T-bone them, and then commit a blind right turn on red. I bike around the city in way that it makes it nearly impossible for a car to swipe me without totaling their own car (hide behind power poles, be way back from the curb, pass lanes using another car in traffic to block for me).

What's even better is the look right, TURN LEFT. A loving blind left turn. Although a month ago a driver did that with such a wide turn they almost hit me on the opposite end of the intersection.

silicone thrills posted:

Cleanest fuckin city I've been to here in America and the fuckin locals got words. Of course the allys smell like piss in the morning. Not like there's any bathrooms for people to use in the whole downtown area after 9pm.

Cars are public bathrooms. Smash the glass and poo poo directly into the car.

distortion park posted:

idk what the solution is. I feel like the state has been utterly defanged, partially from the inside and not just by republicans, and it's now impossible for it to do anything at all.
Not true. The state still has plenty of power to bulldoze minority neighborhoods for highway expansion despite protest by local governments.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

https://twitter.com/AmericanFietser/status/1584004845513879553

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Deadly Ham Sandwich posted:

What's even better is the look right, TURN LEFT. A loving blind left turn.

driving school teaches you to at least shoulder check the opposite direction last as you begin to execute a turn

this of course presumes you're focusing on the turn direction as you complete it

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Ya...

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

Gunshow Poophole posted:

driving school teaches you to at least shoulder check the opposite direction last as you begin to execute a turn

this of course presumes you're focusing on the turn direction as you complete it

in drivers ed they taught us to look left, right, and then a check of what is in front of the car before making a turn or putting the car in motion from a stop. unfortunately most people do not actually do this.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I usually switch back and forth between looking left and right as quickly as possible the entire time I am executing the turn.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

in my experience people behind you will lose their minds if you come to a complete stop at a sign, let alone take time to look

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

in my experience people behind you will lose their minds if you come to a complete stop at a sign, let alone take time to look

thats why i love coming to a full and complete stop :twisted:

Petanque
Apr 14, 2008

Ca va bien aller
they recently installed a stop sign and crosswalk at the end of my street where it crosses a two-lane road. the other day i was crossing in front of a bus that was stopped there, and as i did someone comes from behind the bus and passes it going into the other lane of traffic and is clearly not going to stop. thankfully i was almost to the other side but so loving infuriating

Apr 7, 2003

They call accidents resulting from that “double threat collisions” here and they’re supposed to get you four points on your license but of course it’s never enforced.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

re public toilets saw these ones today and thought it was nicely done, obviously using a bit of the existing buildings rather than a new one in the middle of the square

(Strasbourg)
Also went to the cinema and there was an advert from the city council boasting about all the bike lanes and transit stops and reducing the number of cars.

distortion park has issued a correction as of 17:40 on Oct 23, 2022

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

Ardennes posted:

Yeah, Seattle didn’t seem that dirty to me, just well…you could tell the character was being drained from the town.
Seattle has added 300k people since 1980 and is more vibrant than ever, though?

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

Gunshow Poophole posted:

ha, no. Stops at intersection, looks right, turns left while looking right despite there being no other cars near in sight. Just mind boggling stupid. The driver may as well closed their eyes.

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

a few weeks ago i had someone go totally insane because i was actually coming to complete stops on a street with a four way stop on each block. at the first block they honked at me, on the second they leaned on the horn, on the third they pulled off one of the most psychotic moves i've ever seen, swerving around me to the right and then gunning it straight through the intersection to get ahead of me.

as im watching they run the next to stop signs in a row, flying through them at speed in this residential neighborhood, and i thought that would be the last of it but one block later i end up right behind them; someone is pulling off the world's slowest parallel parking in front of them and they can't get around. my wife and i are laughing at how preposterous it is to drive like that and gain exactly nothing for it, and i guess the driver saw us in her rear view mirror because she lowered the window and screamed "YOU TWO BETTER SHUT THE gently caress UP" out the side

i'd bet pretty good money that this person doesn't normally act like this, but driving is a kind of mental illness simulator for a lot of people

Apr 7, 2003

I wonder how many fatal car crashes start out as temper tantrums like that. Probably not an insignificant amount.

Nitevision
Oct 5, 2004

Your Friendly FYAD Helper
Ask Me For FYAD Help
Another Reason To Talk To Me Is To Hangout

distortion park posted:

re public toilets saw these ones today and thought it was nicely done, obviously using a bit of the existing buildings rather than a new one in the middle of the square

(Strasbourg)
Also went to the cinema and there was an advert from the city council boasting about all the bike lanes and transit stops and reducing the number of cars.

Sick I've wanted to visit Strasbourg for years. Between there and Freiburg it seems like the Rhine has some great pedestrian/bike towns

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Nitevision posted:

Sick I've wanted to visit Strasbourg for years. Between there and Freiburg it seems like the Rhine has some great pedestrian/bike towns

as a visitor i liked it. the town center is pleasant to walk around and the transport is excellent. Munich was the city I've been most surprised by recently, so many cyclists, cargo bikes and pedestrians, in a fairly large area around the city centre. It's obviously reached the tipping point where at least a few people feel confident enough to take their kids in a bike bucket, London is still way off that. Munich also has a very good (although expensive to use as a visitor) suburban and underground rail network. Worth reading the wikipedia page and taking a look at the expansion plans and construction costs if you want to get depressed

distortion park has issued a correction as of 19:38 on Oct 23, 2022

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

loving pathetic

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug

They call accidents resulting from that “double threat collisions” here and they’re supposed to get you four points on your license but of course it’s never enforced.

We should call them "negligents" not accidents.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

drat, and people in my city are up in arms over a public toilet that cost $300k.

Unless
Jul 24, 2005

I art

Unless posted:

I’m in the middle of a local asphalt emulsion spill, and even though the epa came out yesterday, their words to me after seeing it still sticking and seeping into my skin on day 28, “theres no way we can pull it all out. it’s oil.”

got recommended to “hazmat trauma therapy” and had my first session today

fkin’ christ almighty

I’m really lucky to have strategic power and a lot of community but no one can see this and not have it corrode the soul

the multilateral, multilevel, multiindividual, multiagency, multicorporate failure can only be addressed with the county-administered hazmat and emergency planning committees, on top of full state-wide regulatory and reporting reform to face the cracks in the system, but I’ll save that for the biosphere success thread

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

Electro-Boogie Jack posted:

i'd bet pretty good money that this person doesn't normally act like this, but driving is a kind of mental illness simulator for a lot of people
A huge number of fatal car crashes can be attributed to dumb aggressive assholes. Googling, it looks like 50% of fatal crashes involve road rage/aggressive driving. Fatal crashes overwhelmingly involve men (70% men , 30% women). That 70/30 split is of all fatalities in a crash, not the gender of the driver at fault. I'm guessing the gender divide is even worse for that. Those stats are not surprising considering men under 25 years old commit 60% of all violent crime.

Destroy all men.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Maybe consider wearing a long-sleeved shirt when wrestling masses of oily soil.

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Electro-Boogie Jack posted:

a few weeks ago i had someone go totally insane because i was actually coming to complete stops on a street with a four way stop on each block. at the first block they honked at me, on the second they leaned on the horn, on the third they pulled off one of the most psychotic moves i've ever seen, swerving around me to the right and then gunning it straight through the intersection to get ahead of me.

as im watching they run the next to stop signs in a row, flying through them at speed in this residential neighborhood, and i thought that would be the last of it but one block later i end up right behind them; someone is pulling off the world's slowest parallel parking in front of them and they can't get around. my wife and i are laughing at how preposterous it is to drive like that and gain exactly nothing for it, and i guess the driver saw us in her rear view mirror because she lowered the window and screamed "YOU TWO BETTER SHUT THE gently caress UP" out the side

And that driver was Albert Einstein!!!!!!!!

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

nice post, very moving. i found the little @shocks tweet salient. thanks for posting & sorry you have to go thru that.

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

And that driver was Albert Einstein!!!!!!!!

and the guy parallel parking? that's right, it was adolf hitler all along

Apr 7, 2003

A drunk driver creamed my car and crashed into a utility pole further up the street just now.

I love America!

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

A drunk driver creamed my car and crashed into a utility pole further up the street just now.

I love America!

nice, get dat big insurance payout and buy a new ford f950 freedom rancher edition kingcab truck

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
only rubes n poors park on the street instead of in their god's given 4-car driveway with a 3-car garage

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Xaris posted:

only rubes n poors park on the street instead of in their god's given 4-car driveway with a 3-car garage

Uhhhh, excuse me, you park on the street next to your 4-car driveway with a 3-car garage so the poors can't park there. Duh.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

lol, imagine having a car to park.

Kicked Throat
Apr 12, 2005
couldn't be me

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

the older i get my depth perception gets a little worse so im more cautious making left turns. this drives people nuts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

Ham Equity posted:

Uhhhh, excuse me, you park on the street next to your 4-car driveway with a 3-car garage so the poors can't park there. Duh.

couple times I (filthy street parker) have parked in front of the house next door to my building when the owner is out and about he asks “oh you parking there?”