Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: sharknado slashfic)

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Nichael posted:

I had a gray dream but it was pretty uninteresting. Also had a dream about an impending asteroid strike, where I could feel the Earth shaking, and I resigned myself to finding out in a few moments if there was anything after death. As it was crashing, I woke up.

welcome to this reality, formerly dead nichael.

it's not any better

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Tekne posted:

Crouching Walker Balding Dragon

dragons dont have hair

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

Spergin Morlock posted:

dragons dont have hair
the good ones do

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
Chinese dragins best dragins

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Barry Foster posted:

Chinese dragins best dragins

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5mtgZTyD2c

Spergin Morlock has issued a correction as of 22:31 on Oct 23, 2022

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

:love:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BfTwDkKnoko
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uxzGkqLIkTw

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

Nichael posted:

:same:

I had a gray dream but it was pretty uninteresting. Also had a dream about an impending asteroid strike, where I could feel the Earth shaking, and I resigned myself to finding out in a few moments if there was anything after death. As it was crashing, I woke up.

I sleep on my left. I still get vivid dreams.

Sis I have great news

typhus
Apr 7, 2004

Fun Shoe
Been seeing this study pop up in news a lot these past few days about possible evidence for non-classical processes in the brain, specifically entanglement mediated by consciousness-related brain functions. Rickshaw, any thoughts? https://iopscience.iop.org/article/10.1088/2399-6528/ac94be

Edit: am I understanding correctly that they observed the equivalent of EEG signals in an MRI machine geared to measure the proton spin of the brain's water content?

typhus has issued a correction as of 01:06 on Oct 24, 2022

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

a simple defense against these sorts of nightmares is to query the antagonistic forces on there opinions of Marxism.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Sleekly posted:

has nasa or anyone explained how it has that hexagonal storm going on at a pole?

yeah it's supposedly a standing wave, you can replicate it by spinning a bucket of water at a certain speed or something like that. IIRC people have spun different tanks and if you get the speed to resonate with the viscosity and size of the tank you can get it to form stable waves with a bunch of different polygons, like triangles to heptagons and all kinds of poo poo? Maybe someone posted itt about it, i remember seeing pics where they had green dye

i tried to pull up the vid i saw explaining it and only found this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oaRTAjkqmdE

also this crazy rear end poo poo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gH2myONfCJg

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Sacred geometry!

Gravid Topiary
Feb 16, 2012

typhus posted:

Been seeing this study pop up in news a lot these past few days about possible evidence for non-classical processes in the brain, specifically entanglement mediated by consciousness-related brain functions. Rickshaw, any thoughts? https://iopscience.iop.org/article/10.1088/2399-6528/ac94be

Edit: am I understanding correctly that they observed the equivalent of EEG signals in an MRI machine geared to measure the proton spin of the brain's water content?

quote:

Whole-slice averaged signal time course (black line) which was selected by a mask over 12 heart cycles. The signal of the Superior sagittal sinus (grey line) as reference time frame demonstrates the instant breakdown of quantum coherence with the beginning outflow.

the self is created and destroyed with every heartbeat, making the heart the true seat of the soul :science:

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

what if they're measuring the strangeness equivalent of a ping lol

Riot Bimbo has issued a correction as of 10:12 on Oct 24, 2022

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

to go all woo for a sec its poo poo like that hexagon storm and jupiters eye storm and the perfect goddam mathematically almost impossible eclipeses of all sort we are privy too...all of this suggests a riddle and a game and we can solve or fail but the fact so much celestial stuff is poking us right in the fuckin eye for so long means the universe/mother/alland none gives a gently caress for monke

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

What this thread has taught me:

Multiverse is real
Psi is real
Religion is real
Astrology is real
Cosmic consciousness is real
Time is fake
Death is fake
Self is fake
Physics is fake

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

mercury's light/dark side, mars' scar, jupiter's storm, saturn's hex, uranus' perpendicular rotation angle, pluto's heart and it's orbit with charon, all have pretty weird/cool implications that map on decently as symbolic representations of their astrological significations. Most of those significations pre-date any astronomy that could resolve those features at all, and some of those we've only known about for less than a decade. I'm sure you could find some for venus and neptune as well but I don't care enough to stretch this more than I have.

idk i'm still in camp "I think I'd rather be crazy" but w/r/t cosmic poo poo I haven't actually thought so for a while. There's something weird most of y'all wouldn't like out there. Somewhere within and between scientific inquiry and high strangeness/woo analysis lies answers that, if we're allowed to unearth them, would bum most people the gently caress out anyway

Riot Bimbo has issued a correction as of 10:52 on Oct 24, 2022

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Sleekly posted:

to go all woo for a sec its poo poo like that hexagon storm and jupiters eye storm and the perfect goddam mathematically almost impossible eclipeses of all sort we are privy too...all of this suggests a riddle and a game and we can solve or fail but the fact so much celestial stuff is poking us right in the fuckin eye for so long means the universe/mother/alland none gives a gently caress for monke

I often have this thought too.

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

Barry Foster posted:

I often have this thought too.

rite?
like a certain type of stupid to tune in but all thru time and in the face of countless grifters...there are seemingly basic things with massive import that just goes under the radar. hi radar.

a real fear i have is dying, and then whatevs next just slams a massive picard.jpg like duh like why didnt i just be instead of overthinking it

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Sleekly posted:

rite?
like a certain type of stupid to tune in but all thru time and in the face of countless grifters...there are seemingly basic things with massive import that just goes under the radar. hi radar.

a real fear i have is dying, and then whatevs next just slams a massive picard.jpg like duh like why didnt i just be instead of overthinking it

I think about it whenever our understanding of things undergoes a revolution. I genuinely think that once we figure out one thing, we get thrown something new to chew on, and that process has no bottom. There's always something new to discover/complicate our worldview just when we think we've got our Big TOE

I am also afraid of dying, and I'm particularly afraid of dying knowing that I've lived the wrong life. But of course, constantly worrying about that is making me, uh, live the wrong life lol

I'm getting a bit better about it though. Therapy works!!!

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Barry Foster posted:

I am also afraid of dying, and I'm particularly afraid of dying knowing that I've lived the wrong life. But of course, constantly worrying about that is making me, uh, live the wrong life lol

Also I guess you do realize that this is entirely subjective. Only you can determine whether you lived the "right" or "wrong" life. That means it's something you have control over. Also means you have to be able to explain what you consider to be a "right" life, otherwise you'll spend the rest of your life wondering if you lived according to standards you haven't even defined in the first place.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

Also I guess you do realize that this is entirely subjective. Only you can determine whether you lived the "right" or "wrong" life. That means it's something you have control over. Also means you have to be able to explain what you consider to be a "right" life, otherwise you'll spend the rest of your life wondering if you lived according to standards you haven't even defined in the first place.

For sure. It's a difficult one! Perhaps one of the most difficult ones of all, I suppose

Existentialism was a thing for a reason

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Hoping those "ayyys turn off nukes" people are right

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

The Chad Jihad posted:

Hoping those "ayyys turn off nukes" people are right

i'm more of the "ayyys 180 the nukes" type because any government willing to deploy nukes should itself be destroyed by its own arsenal

Human.Frank
Jun 2, 2022

Riot Bimbo posted:

Somewhere within and between scientific inquiry and high strangeness/woo analysis lies answers that, if we're allowed to unearth them, would bum most people the gently caress out anyway
I wish people would stop thinking this way because knowing the truth is easier on the mind then struggling to believe a lie every day.

It seems the majority of the UFO community feels this way about the general population, but I wonder if they are just projecting their own insecurities onto others.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Human.Frank posted:

I wish people would stop thinking this way because knowing the truth is easier on the mind then struggling to believe a lie every day.

It seems the majority of the UFO community feels this way about the general population, but I wonder if they are just projecting their own insecurities onto others.

This is the most annoying aspect of the "UFO community" after all the obvious cons and grifts. The people who do massive amounts of drugs to try and remote view the secret moonbase immediately turn around and say that everyone else can't deal with the true reality of spaaace? lol ok. Also all the computers that say anything I disagree with have been magick force field hacked by aliens, we can't know anything really.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

ty for sharing your poor reading comprehension with the thread again

skewetoo
Mar 30, 2003

Pryor on Fire posted:

This is the most annoying aspect of the "UFO community" after all the obvious cons and grifts. The people who do massive amounts of drugs to try and remote view the secret moonbase immediately turn around and say that everyone else can't deal with the true reality of spaaace? lol ok. Also all the computers that say anything I disagree with have been magick force field hacked by aliens, we can't know anything really.

:glomp:

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

weinstein speaking on behalf of :tinylue: at san marino
https://twitter.com/WolfgangAM3/status/1583788758800818177
the visitations and their displayed characteristics being the message and the key to unlocking new physics is something we've talked about in this thread before

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Pryor on Fire posted:

go away

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Tekne posted:

weinstein speaking on behalf of :tinylue: at san marino
https://twitter.com/WolfgangAM3/status/1583788758800818177
the visitations and their displayed characteristics being the message and the key to unlocking new physics is something we've talked about in this thread before

All the messaging about Escape sure is unsettling coming from that crowd

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

Slavvy posted:

Multiverse is real
Psi is real
Religion is real
Astrology is real
Time is fake
Death is fake
Self is fake
Physics is fake

This is fun can I pick at this?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Riot Bimbo posted:

mercury's light/dark side, mars' scar, jupiter's storm, saturn's hex, uranus' perpendicular rotation angle, pluto's heart and it's orbit with charon, all have pretty weird/cool implications that map on decently as symbolic representations of their astrological significations. Most of those significations pre-date any astronomy that could resolve those features at all, and some of those we've only known about for less than a decade. I'm sure you could find some for venus and neptune as well but I don't care enough to stretch this more than I have.

idk i'm still in camp "I think I'd rather be crazy" but w/r/t cosmic poo poo I haven't actually thought so for a while. There's something weird most of y'all wouldn't like out there. Somewhere within and between scientific inquiry and high strangeness/woo analysis lies answers that, if we're allowed to unearth them, would bum most people the gently caress out anyway

It never ceases to amaze me how you can be mostly right but then your massively depressed brain takes over and puts an ultra dark spin on it

Like yeah the universe is full of amazing wonder that would shock and amaze you.... and it's grim and terrible

Perry Mason Jar posted:

This is fun can I pick at this?

What part do you disagree with?

I'll grant you at least part of physics is true in a limited sense

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

SniperWoreConverse posted:

yeah it's supposedly a standing wave, you can replicate it by spinning a bucket of water at a certain speed or something like that. IIRC people have spun different tanks and if you get the speed to resonate with the viscosity and size of the tank you can get it to form stable waves with a bunch of different polygons, like triangles to heptagons and all kinds of poo poo? Maybe someone posted itt about it, i remember seeing pics where they had green dye

i tried to pull up the vid i saw explaining it and only found this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oaRTAjkqmdE

also this crazy rear end poo poo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gH2myONfCJg

hello wonderful person

/cheesy smile and wave at the end

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

physics is very real and makes a whole lot of very correct predictions, it simply isn't complete

the failures of 'sciences' like psychology have primed people to be way too dismissive of the real sciences; even if hyperdimensional spirit elves turn out to be real and our perceived reality a lie, the basic laws of motion and thermodynamics are still going to apply to anything existing in our current reference frame, as are the realities of material sciences etc

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Wheeee posted:

physics is very real and makes a whole lot of very correct predictions, it simply isn't complete

the failures of 'sciences' like psychology have primed people to be way too dismissive of the real sciences; even if hyperdimensional spirit elves turn out to be real and our perceived reality a lie, the basic laws of motion and thermodynamics are still going to apply to anything existing in our current reference frame, as are the realities of material sciences etc

So part of physics is true in a limited sense then

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

Slavvy posted:

What part do you disagree with?

I'll grant you at least part of physics is true in a limited sense

Not disagreement per se.

Slavvy posted:

Multiverse is real
Psi is real
Religion is real
Astrology is real
Time is fake
Death is fake
Self is fake
Physics is fake

What definition of multiverse is being used? Multiple universes is distinct from multiple spacetime dimensions within the universe; is distinct from multiple dimensions laid atop each other in one singular universe; is distinct from multidimensionality; is distinct from multiple universes occurring in parallel; is distinct from from multiple timelines occurring in parallel...

Psi is real but what causes it? Noosphere living psi? Brain generated psi? Consciousness generated psi? Spirit generated psi? Spirit-world generated psi?

Religion is obviously real, I'll take you to mean that the fundamental shared truths among religions are correct. While I love syncretism I would say that if we took just the most basic concept which marks religion as such, i.e. the existence of God, we would not find immediately much commonality when talking about religions proper. For the Abrahamic religions we have a critical problem of who or what God is in their holy book itself - can we actually conclude that Adonai is the same as Yahweh is the same as the Father? In the Eastern religions there's nothing that particularly resembles the Western concept of God. Whereas lesser deities behave in ways that God behaves in the Bible, their spiritual zenith, their alpha and omega, their God, which is Atman-Brahman or Nirvana or Tao, does not at all resemble the Father.

I'm not convinced by astrology.

Cosmic consciousness meaning what? Mind at Large or Higher-Self/Lower-Self? Both?

Time is real on Earth. Time is real in spacetime, though relative. By all possible spiritual and evidential accounts Time does not exist in the afterlife and/or spirit world.

Death is real. Body dies. Consciousness leaves Earth and can no longer communicate via the body on Earth. Death itself is a transformation and transition from this experience to another experience which is the original and originating experience. And then to some other sort of experience after that and so on. Death is re-birth into the spirit world realm of pure consciousness.

"Self is fake" implies a transpersonal self which implies a multiplicitous self. But your individuated selfhood is self-evident (ha). A continuous self is not provable and a continuous identity is easily disproved. The boddhis try to attain non-self.

Our theories of physics are wrong (or incomplete), sure. Otherwise no.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Spergin Morlock posted:

hello wonderful person

/cheesy smile and wave at the end

I normally hate saccharine YouTube people, but I love Anton and I wish he was my friend.

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Nichael posted:

I normally hate saccharine YouTube people, but I love Anton and I wish he was my friend.

same

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

one of my friends made fun of me for my infatuation with anton, but dude, have you seen him? he's loving awesome.

the two youtube genders:
1. colonial cooking guy
2. anton

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Human.Frank posted:

I am kind of projecting my own experience yeah.

At first it was like oh cool maybe some of this stupid weird poo poo maps onto larger patterns, ways with which to see the universe, expanded understanding!!! But I actually do earnestly oscillate between wanting to forget and return to normalcy and wanting to see how dark the forest really is, because a lot of the implications of my own experiences indicate stuff I don't really like. The sense of wonder and the "desire to know more" gives way to frustration and discomfort. Awe in the archaic sense, and genuine terror.

Probably a reason angels im religious texts never stop begging people to chill

Pryor as usual really doesnt warrant a response but im sorry buddy it's not drugs, because, a bottle of wine now and then aside i am not taking drugs aside from spiro and estradiol- potent poo poo but not exactly psychonaut poo poo!!