Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Not sure that I am ready for a Warmachine that abandons the core 'huge shoulders, tiny legs' philosophy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
i love chonky mech but not enough to spend money on a company that is actively self-destructing

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011
Lists of the units included in legacy faction's Prime armies have been leaked/posted:

https://imgur.com/a/bt77CjL?fbclid=IwAR3NisSajXNPafrMh7awUt5JI4uJZuJgURACu8OGO_LiD3uXdQ5q3HgyemA

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
Any explanation given for why these are so limited? Blindwater isn't getting another army and the main factions are only getting two, right? So why are they stuck with 3 Warlockasters when CoC gets all 8 of theirs?

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp
lol Skorne

just lmao

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
Would anyone here be interested in a bunch of old, pre 2018 Trollbloods? I need to get rid of them and before I put them up on Ebay I figured i'd see if anyone here wanted them at a decent deal. It's a very big list of stuff and i'll have to find where I listed it all previously. It's all boxed up, but I have pictures of it too. I also have a bunch of extra stuff to go with it, like a bag, a wooden transport try, a 4x4 mat and some other items like measuring devices, dice, etc.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

smug jeebus posted:

Any explanation given for why these are so limited? Blindwater isn't getting another army and the main factions are only getting two, right? So why are they stuck with 3 Warlockasters when CoC gets all 8 of theirs?

The official explanation for why CoC was ported over in its entirety is that it was a limited faction. The limited factions align with the philosophy behind the design of the new Prime armies. Their limited scope make them easy enough to balance so they can be ported over to Prime 100% (the only items missing are 120mm models, which will come later).

Which is not an answer to your question. Blindwater Congregation is even more limited than CoC or Crucible Guard or Grymkin. The best available answer is that Blindwater Congregation was a theme, not a faction. Mercs and Minions were factions, and therefore not limited in scope. Which is silly, as for all practical purposes, the Merc and Minion themes constituted limited factions which seem to be exactly what Privateer press wants to do and is supposedly easy to balance.

As for the answer? My money is on the combination of a lack of manpower to actually pull off a new edition and a concomitant absence of internal advocacy for some factions. There's not enough people left at Privateer Press for every Faction or Theme to have a fan. And they probably don't actually have the resources to roll out the rules fully the way it would make sense to do. They're doing what they can do in a passable way, and the priorities have been arbitrarily set.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe
No Hungerford to stand up for them.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Speaking of which, not sure if I enjoy the aesthetic much or not, but I do want to try the game he's working on at some point.

head58
Apr 1, 2013

koreban posted:

No Hungerford to stand up for them.

loving over Minions out of sheer spite over Hungerford leaving is not an unreasonable answer.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

So if your forces don't appear on one of those lists, do you just not get rules to use them, or are they relegated to another tier of stuff that gets some rudimentary rules but less support or can't be used in more regular play?

Like I have Damiano and the Halberdiers and Cavalry, so I'm partway into 'Soldiers of Fortune', but it doesn't include gun mages, Devil Dogs, Ragman, several other Merc pieces, not to mention there doesn't seem to be any place for Ashlynn or Magnus1. Are those just unusable now, or do we at least get some sort of third-tier rules so we can play with friends?

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Other than my Warjacks I don't think I own a single Tournament legal model lmao

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

zerofiend
Dec 23, 2006

Ashcans posted:

So if your forces don't appear on one of those lists, do you just not get rules to use them, or are they relegated to another tier of stuff that gets some rudimentary rules but less support or can't be used in more regular play?

Like I have Damiano and the Halberdiers and Cavalry, so I'm partway into 'Soldiers of Fortune', but it doesn't include gun mages, Devil Dogs, Ragman, several other Merc pieces, not to mention there doesn't seem to be any place for Ashlynn or Magnus1. Are those just unusable now, or do we at least get some sort of third-tier rules so we can play with friends?

The stuff that isn't on that list is only available in the Legacy format, basically. And probably doesn't even have rules at launch because they are launching a new edition that isn't finished again.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER

zerofiend posted:

The stuff that isn't on that list is only available in the Legacy format, basically. And probably doesn't even have rules at launch because they are launching a new edition that isn't finished again.

I *think* that's only one of the two promised Prime armies (or whatever) for some factions. Like for Circle the list says 'Tharn' and I believe they promised a 'Wolves of Orboros' one as well, and the Menoth one is just Exemplars and there was supposed to be another.

zerofiend
Dec 23, 2006

evenworse username posted:

I *think* that's only one of the two promised Prime armies (or whatever) for some factions. Like for Circle the list says 'Tharn' and I believe they promised a 'Wolves of Orboros' one as well, and the Menoth one is just Exemplars and there was supposed to be another.

Yeah, but they're only launching with one prime army for legacy factions, and the other one is coming some indeterminate amount of time later.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER

zerofiend posted:

Yeah, but they're only launching with one prime army for legacy factions, and the other one is coming some indeterminate amount of time later.

What joy. I mean, I wasn't exactly on the cusp of jumping back into this to begin with, but the way they're botching this launch is a huge turnoff, and I don't know how they think they're going to attract new players. They'd be far better off delaying until they're ready to launch with all the stuff they need in terms of rules and product to at least give the new edition a fair chance to succeed. That they're forging ahead in this very half-assed way definitely gives a sense of desperation behind it all.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Axing production of old models, severely limiting which old models can be used, what appears to be a horribly staggered release of new models, which are only available in 200 dollar one player sets

How could this possibly fail? /s

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner

Ashcans posted:

One of the things that made me excited about mk3 and got a bunch of people back into it was that a bunch of bad casters and units were buffed - so we spent a lot of time trying out existing shelved stuff. Amon and Vindie getting massive revamps was a huge delight and got me wanting to play a bunch.

right now i have exactly one list i can play in mk4 (sev1 with exemplar spam) and it was extremely boring in mk3.

Also kind of wild that half the heavies aren't available - hard splitting the Reckoner/Sanctifier/Castigator chassis out into another list means Menoth have 3 heavies available total in this warjack game.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

I didn't get the chance to listen to whatever podcast that was talked about in, and I'm banned on the WMH general Facebook page, so sorry for the probably dumb question but: are these the lists of items that will have rules available at launch next week and be updated enough to use in actual events?

zerofiend
Dec 23, 2006

S.J. posted:

I didn't get the chance to listen to whatever podcast that was talked about in, and I'm banned on the WMH general Facebook page, so sorry for the probably dumb question but: are these the lists of items that will have rules available at launch next week and be updated enough to use in actual events?

Rules at launch: yes
Rules that will continue to be updated: lol

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Played a second game of Warcaster today and I can confirm my initial statement

gently caress it's really good

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

Ashcans posted:

There will be two tiers (called "arenas") of games in Mk. 4. Prime and Unlimited. All models from all legacy factions will be playable in the unlimited format, plus everything new. Select models from legacy factions will also be in legacy army lists which will be playable in the Prime format, which is supposed to be the competitive one. And there will be a second army coming for all legacy factions, except Mercs/Minions who will get more than two.

The catch is, we know the rules for the legacy armies with Prime Army lists will be available this coming week, but there has been no answer for the rest of the rules, beyond "sometime before the end of 2023". They might just do a rules dump from Mk. 3, so it could be next week - but that's utter speculation.

S.J. posted:

The idea of Prime is that the armies are supposed to be regularly updated to maintain balance. Privateer Press was actually pretty good about this in late Mk. 3, so it's not entirely hopeless.

FrostyPox posted:

Played a second game of Warcaster today and I can confirm my initial statement

gently caress it's really good

There's a reason Mk. 4's movement is basically a copy-paste job from that. Privateer Press makes good games and terrible choices about how to publish those games.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

I didn't mean continually updated, just updated enough to use when the game launches for Prime events.

e: Either way I'd rather be playing Warcaster so hell yeah

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER
I'm very sceptical about the extent to which any of the dumpstered faction armies are actually going to get regular updates. It doesn't make sense that they would; PP can't/won't sell those models any more, so it's definitely better for them if everyone switches to using the stuff they can sell and make money from. Given how much they seem to be struggling to do anything right now, I can't imagine they'll end up have much in the way of resources to put towards making sure that a dead faction is competitive or fun to play.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Maneck posted:

There will be two tiers (called "arenas") of games in Mk. 4. Prime and Unlimited. All models from all legacy factions will be playable in the unlimited format, plus everything new. Select models from legacy factions will also be in legacy army lists which will be playable in the Prime format, which is supposed to be the competitive one. And there will be a second army coming for all legacy factions, except Mercs/Minions who will get more than two.

The catch is, we know the rules for the legacy armies with Prime Army lists will be available this coming week, but there has been no answer for the rest of the rules, beyond "sometime before the end of 2023". They might just do a rules dump from Mk. 3, so it could be next week - but that's utter speculation.
Ok, so if all is according to plan, then sometime in the next... year... I would be able to play my current forces against friends and probably pickup games at the store, but anything competitive would be 'Prime' and not possible (that's frankly fine). But it depends on whenever those rules come out, and we probably can't expect anything left to Unlimited to get the same attention or maybe any revisions.

Now if you own the models for one of the 'Legacy' lists shown above, you can expect to be able to play them in Prime. But if you only own some of those models, you're not going to be able to fill out a legacy list because they're not going to be making them any more? So if you're like, 2/3 of the way into Soldiers of Fortune because you own a bunch of Steelheads, but you didn't own one of those 3 casters, you'd have to get one used or something to actually play the list. Is that right?

Do we know what is happening with the storyline and characters from here on? I noticed that the new starter boxes seem to feature completely new Warcasters I don't think we've seen before. There is nothing wrong with that, but it does make me wonder if most of the existing characters (those that didn't die I guess, I tried to keep up on the story when I stopped playing but it got pretty wild) are going to fade out and it will be all new stuff going forward. That seems like it would be the most likely thing but it's kind of weird when so much of Warmachine focused around specific people and their development rather than the sweeping strokes of the wars.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

There's a pretty significant time jump from the end of the current storyline to the beginning of the Orgoth invasion from what I remember. It's gotta be like 5-10 years at least.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I've mostly been watching this shitshow while metaphorically sipping my tea. But honestly I respect that they iced so many characters, hell, entire factions/countries basically. Major character spoiler in case anyone cares about story for a possibly dead game: Killing off poster boy Stryker and turning him into a demigod was pretty wild. Mary Sue type poo poo really, but still crazy to read. Naming a jack after him is pretty :unsmith: though.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Fyrbrand posted:

I've mostly been watching this shitshow while metaphorically sipping my tea. But honestly I respect that they iced so many characters, hell, entire factions/countries basically. Major character spoiler in case anyone cares about story for a possibly dead game: Killing off poster boy Stryker and turning him into a demigod was pretty wild. Mary Sue type poo poo really, but still crazy to read. Naming a jack after him is pretty :unsmith: though.

I haven't even read that story because I honest to god don't even know where the gently caress they published it

CaptCommy
Aug 13, 2012

The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a goat.

S.J. posted:

I haven't even read that story because I honest to god don't even know where the gently caress they published it

I believe its in the PDFs at the top of this page:

https://home.privateerpress.com/2019/11/26/stormbreak-finale/

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

Ashcans posted:

Now if you own the models for one of the 'Legacy' lists shown above, you can expect to be able to play them in Prime. But if you only own some of those models, you're not going to be able to fill out a legacy list because they're not going to be making them any more? So if you're like, 2/3 of the way into Soldiers of Fortune because you own a bunch of Steelheads, but you didn't own one of those 3 casters, you'd have to get one used or something to actually play the list. Is that right?

You've got a bingo on one of the more insane aspects of the Mk. 4 plan. I'll throw out a defence of Privateer Press on this one though. For a great many of the older models, Privateer Press has actually been unable to manufacture them for some time - as in, years. They lost the molds. So part of the insane plan is driven by mismanagement. They simply couldn't have some factions continue because they can't make the models any more without a massive investment, which investment makes no sense since it would be to make old models.Especially when there exists a massive secondary market.

Right now you can get complete extensively and nearly complete armies on the secondary market for not much money, but there'll probably be a shift once the rules drop. The units which are good for each theme will spike in value, while the rest become paperweights.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

For anyone in the thread who doesn't know, the manufacturer that was making PP's plastics literally just stopped communicating with them, took the molds, and started using them to sell knock off toys at gas stations and poo poo.

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
Well drat, that's hosed up

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

"I'll have a ham sandwich, a packet of Skittles, and a unit of Fennblades please"

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Thirsty Dog posted:

"I'll have a ham sandwich, a packet of Skittles, and a unit of Fennblades please"

:lol:

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

S.J. posted:

For anyone in the thread who doesn't know, the manufacturer that was making PP's plastics literally just stopped communicating with them, took the molds, and started using them to sell knock off toys at gas stations and poo poo.

lmao that’s insane, is that written up long form somewhere?

Serenade
Nov 5, 2011

"I should really learn to fucking read"
Yeah I definitely want to know more about that, even though the story will make me feel bad

It kind of changes my outsider perception on why they're so aggressively loving around

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Thirsty Dog posted:

"Gimme $20 on pump 6, a pack of menthols, oh and some scratchoffs and a couple of those Scyrah Myrmidons, too"

counterspin
Apr 2, 2010

One of the reasons I gave up on MK3 was that for five or six months, you just couldn't find Legion Chosen cavalry new in the box. PP doesn't ever seem to be interested in telling people when they got screwed over in order to save face. Same with the disruption caused by their forced move from their old offices/warehouse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Ironically, 3d printing is exactly the way to distribute low-demand classic figures. You either contract to print scans or sell files directly. No warehouse requirements, and no lost/damaged molds.

You can charge a premium for slow hand-produced prints, and still undercut ebay scalpers.