Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
It wasn't even hidden in 2016. The election was going to be the biggest fraud in history until Trump won, at which point it was the greatest victory of all time.

Then it was somehow a fraud again when he got dunked on for losing the popular vote, at which point there were millions of fraudulent votes for Hillary again.

He didn't shut up about it until even his own special commission found absolutely no evidence for that claim and even then, he has never "really" shut up about that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Duzzy Funlop posted:

It wasn't even hidden in 2016. The election was going to be the biggest fraud in history until Trump won, at which point it was the greatest victory of all time.

Then it was somehow a fraud again when he got dunked on for losing the popular vote, at which point there were millions of fraudulent votes for Hillary again.

He didn't shut up about it until even his own special commission found absolutely no evidence for that claim and even then, he has never "really" shut up about that.

I hated the 2016 election SO MUCH. Everyone just decided to race to the loving bottom.

Spoggerific
May 28, 2009
I had plenty of otherwise level headed friends who managed to fall for the "drain the swamp" and buttery males bullshit. Some of them came to their senses almost immediately after he came into office, but many of them did not.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Spoggerific posted:

I had plenty of otherwise level headed friends who managed to fall for the "drain the swamp" and buttery males bullshit. Some of them came to their senses almost immediately after he came into office, but many of them did not.

Don't forget that that turd's presidency was only possible because the Democrats had a massive sense of entitlement. "She's due" was some massive bullshit. No one is owed the presidency. It's partially their fault we got this mess.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
its her turn

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
How is any court gonna actually let him do that, and with what lawyer given that his go-to lawyers for challenging the election got raked over the coals for being shitheads?

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

CommieGIR posted:

How is any court gonna actually let him do that, and with what lawyer given that his go-to lawyers for challenging the election got raked over the coals for being shitheads?

It's not about trying to actually overturn the results in court (although they'll certainly take that W if they can get it), it's about firing up their base for another go at seditious insurrection.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

CommieGIR posted:

His entire goal is to sidestep all of that directly, because no court will let *him* do that with *his lawyers*. That's why he's trying to make the State Houses/Senates do the work for him and pledging to primary any of the state reps that don't go along with it. Weaponizing the idiotic "independent state legislature" theory and stretching any possible legal interpretation and/or rule in existence to make them mean whatever he wants them to mean.

He's very lazy and very bad at legal stuff. Farming everything off to the statehouses mitigates both.

facialimpediment fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Oct 24, 2022

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

You throw me the acorn, I throw you the whip!
I can only hope that the attempt fails, because I can't even watch or listen to news anymore, that poo poo would drive me to be a full on hermit.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Just conceptually I'm having a hard time understanding how a private, uninvolved citizen goes about challenging an election.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Tiny Timbs posted:

Just conceptually I'm having a hard time understanding how a private, uninvolved citizen goes about challenging an election.

It usually involves dump trucks of money unloaded in the area. It’s not hard to bankroll a resident with standing to file

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
You can sue literally anyone or anything in any court for anything you can imagine unless specifically prohibited by law, and even then you can challenge that law in court

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

A.o.D. posted:

You can sue literally anyone or anything in any court for anything you can imagine unless specifically prohibited by law, and even then you can challenge that law in court

Except even courts he appointed are getting tired of the election stunts, even with money being no object.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

A.o.D. posted:

Yeah I guess the only difference between this and the unending tide of SovCit bullshit is how much the elected/appointed officials involved are paid to care about it.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

CommieGIR posted:

Except even courts he appointed are getting tired of the election stunts, even with money being no object.

Trump is really, really good at getting suckers to pay for his misadventures.

Anyhow I said you can sue, not you can win.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Zamujasa posted:

its her turn

To be the tiniest bit fair, that was the same reason the pubbies ran Dole and McCain when they did and it was every bit as stupid then too.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Kid that killed 4 students at his HS in Michigan last year just pled guilty.

The one whose parents bought him the pistol.

E: sounds like he's getting somewhere between 25 and life.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
I hope he testifies against his parents and they get convicted as well. They did basically everything to cause what happened then tried to loving run and throw their kid under the bus. They’re definitely in the running for the Joe Jackson Parent of the Year award.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Mr. Nice! posted:

I hope he testifies against his parents and they get convicted as well. They did basically everything to cause what happened then tried to loving run and throw their kid under the bus. They’re definitely in the running for the Joe Jackson Parent of the Year award.

:emptyquote:

I also hope his conviction manages to get him the help he needs, but this is america.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

RFC2324 posted:

I also hope his conviction manages to get him the help he needs, but this is america.

Here's what I'm kinda fighting with - I pretty much believe that everyone, regardless of mental health issues, has to make an active choice to be an rear end in a top hat. I think that applies all the way from school shooters to (Kan)Ye (West).

But that might be too simplistic to think about things, like with forced personality changes from TBIs and stuff like that, or really severe mental stuff. It's also likely too easy to just go "k, idgaf about that kid, he chose to shoot everyone up, bye and be sure to get the parents too" though that's where I land on it.

So have a Phillies fan shotgunning beers on top of poles that didn't get enough grease before the game

https://twitter.com/khalifaheather/status/1584345443420733441

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

RFC2324 posted:

:emptyquote:

Yeah we definitely need to start giving all schoolchild free access to therapy . Or you know, anyone that wants it.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

facialimpediment posted:

Here's what I'm kinda fighting with - I pretty much believe that everyone, regardless of mental health issues, has to make an active choice to be an rear end in a top hat. I think that applies all the way from school shooters to (Kan)Ye (West).

But that might be too simplistic to think about things, like with forced personality changes from TBIs and stuff like that, or really severe mental stuff. It's also likely too easy to just go "k, idgaf about that kid, he chose to shoot everyone up, bye and be sure to get the parents too" though that's where I land on it.

Just because someone is an rear end in a top hat doesn't mean they don't need help. I strongly believe some people are a threat to society and should be separated, and while separated helped to become a person who won't make the decision to be an rear end in a top hat anymore. This is extra true when the person in question is a literal child.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Speaking of baseball.

Enjoy Ted Cruz at Yankee Stadium.

https://twitter.com/wutangkids/status/1584371182492524544?s=46&t=_xPA12em-uRse5_gWYv9wg

https://twitter.com/wutangkids/status/1584523628712185857?s=46&t=_xPA12em-uRse5_gWYv9wg

https://twitter.com/wutangkids/status/1584387336527572995?s=46&t=_xPA12em-uRse5_gWYv9wg

Please please be dumb enough to come to Philadelphia.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

RFC2324 posted:

Just because someone is an rear end in a top hat doesn't mean they don't need help. I strongly believe some people are a threat to society and should be separated, and while separated helped to become a person who won't make the decision to be an rear end in a top hat anymore. This is extra true when the person in question is a literal child.

And the people we have to fight, sometimes ourselves, about that, are champions of how it's so expedient to just remove 'the problem' so we can forget about it. No man, no problem.
I met a girl once who had empathy for all and I think she honestly repaired me.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Philly, the city that hates you back. Especially if you're noted Cory Chase fan Ted Cruz.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

MA-Horus posted:

Philly, the city that hates you back. Especially if you're noted Cory Chase fan Ted Cruz.

:hai:

Also imagine if he tries to do some collaboration event there with Oz?

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

Marshal Prolapse posted:

:hai:

Also imagine if he tries to do some collaboration event there with Oz?

Pretty sure my response to that would get me banned

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

MA-Horus posted:

Pretty sure my response to that would get me banned

:same:

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

MA-Horus posted:

Does Philly hate Cory Chase for some reason? To me that's like the only non objectionable thing about Cruz.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

Soylent Pudding posted:

Does Philly hate Cory Chase for some reason? To me that's like the only non objectionable thing about Cruz.

I certainly hope not, she seems like a very nice lady.

But it makes him seem human and I dislike that

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

MA-Horus posted:

I certainly hope not, she seems like a very nice lady.

But it makes him seem human and I dislike that

He blamed it on an intern, so Philly should still chuck batteries at his head for refusing to support sex workers, a more noble and hard-working profession than his own.

Jokers Gamble
May 31, 2013

facialimpediment posted:

He blamed it on an intern, so Philly should still chuck batteries at his head for refusing to support sex workers, a more noble and hard-working profession than his own.

Yeah, at least when they gently caress someone, the person is happy about it. I don't think anyone has ever been happy to be hosed by Ted Cruz, literally or metaphorically .

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

always a good time to repost these

https://mobile.twitter.com/vmudream/status/1034247673883385856

https://mobile.twitter.com/Duracell/status/960352900546547712

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Getting dusty in here.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
What, uh, the gently caress?

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/10/24/supreme-court-justice-clarence-thomas-temporarily-blocks-sen-grahams-subpoena-from-georgia-grand-jury.html

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

I saw a few people mention this on twitter and Reddit.

Is this a case of, "huh, what is going on here?", "there is no more rule of law", or "maybe we should wait a day and make sure this is what we think it is"?

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

ASAPI posted:

Is this a case of, "huh, what is going on here?", "there is no more rule of law", or "maybe we should wait a day and make sure this is what we think it is"?

I almost pre-posted about this to calm y'all, but here's the recap:

https://twitter.com/imillhiser/status/1584586275646242816

It's extremely common to temporarily stay something a few days when there's an emergency SCOTUS petition on a time-limited event (think - executions). But Thomas should be recused from anything that even has a whiff of J6, but isn't, because there's no teeth to recusal requirements. Thomas isn't acting alone, it's no big deal, but Thomas should be auto-recused. Wait a week.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

facialimpediment posted:

I almost pre-posted about this to calm y'all, but here's the recap:

https://twitter.com/imillhiser/status/1584586275646242816

It's extremely common to temporarily stay something a few days when there's an emergency SCOTUS petition on a time-limited event (think - executions). But Thomas should be recused from anything that even has a whiff of J6, but isn't, because there's no teeth to recusal requirements. Thomas isn't acting alone, it's no big deal, but Thomas should be auto-recused. Wait a week.

This is what I assumed to be the case. (Although, my reasoning didn't have actual knowledge or details, just a hunch)

I usually take it as a good sign when the twitters/facebooks/reddits are up in arms over something and this thread is very light.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

ASAPI posted:

"The conservative justice said the subpoena would be delayed pending further order by Thomas or the Supreme Court. Two days before he issued the stay, Thomas told Fulton County, Georgia, prosecutors, who are presenting evidence to the grand jury, to respond by Thursday to Graham's request for a stay of the subpoena"

We will have to see how off the rails it gets by Thursday. At this point it's just a delay

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

ASAPI posted:

I usually take it as a good sign when the twitters/facebooks/reddits are up in arms over something and this thread is very light.

Today I saw a "reasonable" conservative go on about how Biden's student loan forgiveness is a violation of his oath of office, so it's truly election season.