Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

The only fear we have to fear is fear of fear itself

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

say hello to my little friend

Yeah I feel like there's going to be a lot of societal unrest about the barrier failing. It's something that has apparently never happened before, and probably a lot of people are injured or dead. And I doubt the government is going to have a good answer as to why it happened or why it couldn't happen again. We don't even know if they have actual contact with Anemone and know she's the source of it.

https://www.sleeplessdomain.com/comic/chapter-10-page-26

If you look at this page, Sunlight Spear assumes that a civilian firing off a flare means they're either dead or will be soon, even though the flare just went off. And we saw a lot of flares in this chapter. Sunlight Spear's comment was before monsters started getting more aggressive and numerous due to Goops' intervention, too.

As far as we're aware, the monsters are aggressive and work fast and can really quickly gently caress up ordinary people.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

New page https://www.sleeplessdomain.com/comic/chapter-20-page-26

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

Never say out loud that you hope it's a one time thing. That barrier is going to be breached earlier and earlier every night cause you jinxed it.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Going by that alt-text. I imagine the people of this world never have to work until the wee hours of the morning as opposed to waking up to a monster breaking down their door. What a paradise.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
We know at least some people work overnight (other than the magical girls, I mean), but yeah, probably not like convenience store workers and stuff, they probably get to actually sleep.

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?

GlyphGryph posted:

We know at least some people work overnight (other than the magical girls, I mean), but yeah, probably not like convenience store workers and stuff, they probably get to actually sleep.

On one hand, what a world... on the other where I am I supposed to go for sudden nightly craving for doritos!

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Twibbit posted:

On one hand, what a world... on the other where I am I supposed to go for sudden nightly craving for doritos!

Time to call for Magical Girl Munchie Deliverer!

The_Final_Stand
Nov 2, 2013

So cute and cuddly
Vedika status: still doesn't like being touched in MG form.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Seems like something from the rat encounter stuck with her, at least!

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Tenebrais posted:

Seems like something from the rat encounter stuck with her, at least!
That at the very least is just a general side effect of her powers. Direct contact is like opening the floodgates of TMI for her mind.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

She's always wary of accidentally triggering mind-reading, but I think the sharp sudden panic here is partly increased by her most recent encounter with it being especially harrowing, and artificially repressed.

I'm expecting a plot point where she has trouble bringing herself to even purposefully mind-read people in the near future, a sort of hot-stove aversion that she can't fully explain without her removed memories.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.

Ditocoaf posted:

She's always wary of accidentally triggering mind-reading, but I think the sharp sudden panic here is partly increased by her most recent encounter with it being especially harrowing, and artificially repressed.

I'm expecting a plot point where she has trouble bringing herself to even purposefully mind-read people in the near future, a sort of hot-stove aversion that she can't fully explain without her removed memories.

Would make sense for it to come up in training with her friends.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
New page
Vedika might actually be the key to figuring out this mind wipe stuff.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

But can you figure out the memory wipe stuff without it being wiped.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Complete left field thought, but what if the mind wipe and all this nonsense is the WiW doing her best to make a system that requires child soldiers as non-traumatizing as possible? Could be a lot of directions it could go if the whole hosed up system is her trying to make the best of a bad situation, and raise questions about whether harm reduction is enough in a The Ones Who Walk Away from Omelas situation.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

girl dick energy posted:

Complete left field thought, but what if the mind wipe and all this nonsense is the WiW doing her best to make a system that requires child soldiers as non-traumatizing as possible? Could be a lot of directions it could go if the whole hosed up system is her trying to make the best of a bad situation, and raise questions about whether harm reduction is enough in a The Ones Who Walk Away from Omelas situation.

Yeah I can see that. I floated something similar earlier

rannum posted:

I'm guessing the mind wipe effect going into effect here (& in general) is probably meant as an act of mercy rather than covering the dirty laundry. Tessa could barely handle it and needed Goops to center her; Vedika's already got her own issues and a power that's already "pretty freaky" adding on the choruses of a hundred souls (?) and any other ramifications from that probably seen as "hmmm this could be bad for her". Especially when she's literally on a ledge and gripping her head trying to process things

Kind of assuming the Founder has a lot of similar thoughts as Goops does re: the entire situation, but instead of "what if: murder?" it's "what if: ignorance?"
The system is hosed up enough as is, but if you can avert the eyes on the even darker aspects that might be lurking beneath and try to give a little relief that way, I can see the logic to why you'd do so.

Forget the truth of the founder/womaninwhite/whatever, forget the dark screams, don't worry about the Greater Barrier, forget the dreams. You're dealing with enough.

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?
Hopefully this will never happen again

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
So is this bad? This looks bad but I don't want to assume. It looks bad though.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Ragnar34 posted:

So is this bad? This looks bad but I don't want to assume. It looks bad though.
What? How could this possibly be bad? Everything's definitely perfectly fine.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Dammit....

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

Anemone's so upset over Goops merging with Tessa, she's besides herself twice!

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Looks like powering down from Rainbow mode is an effort for Anemone. Also confirmation that memory wipes work on everyone, even the omniscient.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

The name memory wipe is crazy deep. It overruns everything, even on some one who can otherwise see, takk about and weaponize the other broader memory wipe about the founder
or talk WITH the founder; even in Tessa's dream she couldn't say the name even though the founder was right there.

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

This may be a bit of an "out there" theory, but I feel like Anemone's powers actually make her look more like the Woman In White. Her hair goes white and long and spreads out in all directions, and notably, her outfit loses a lot of its accessories (like buttons or her apron, even her shoes) and fans out at the bottom.

Or maybe it's supposed to resemble the sort of default magical girl dress that girls have in The Dream, perhaps representing a sort of raw untapped power state, which could explain why she's so insanely powerful compared to the other MGs we've seen.

Compare these:

https://www.sleeplessdomain.com/comic/chapter-20-page-6
https://www.sleeplessdomain.com/comic/chapter-20-page-7

To this:

https://www.sleeplessdomain.com/comic/chapter-page-5
https://www.sleeplessdomain.com/comic/chapter-page-6

And this:

https://www.sleeplessdomain.com/comic/chapter-6-page-21
https://www.sleeplessdomain.com/comic/chapter-6-page-23

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

Gonna double post because it deserves it

https://www.sleeplessdomain.com/comic/chapter-7-page-23

Holy poo poo, this page hits so much harder when you know that Kokoro's mother died protecting her from a monster, and couldn't protect her own family because she lost her powers when they went into Kokoro. And that Kokoro goes to a therapist and takes antidepressants.

"It's not your fault. No matter how much it feels that way, it's not." You can tell she's had to spend years convincing herself of that. :cry: This comic is so loving good, dude.

The_Final_Stand
Nov 2, 2013

So cute and cuddly
Wonder if there's anything to the point that Anemone clearly glows like a rainbow. Everyone else we've seen sticks to one colour palette, but while there are girls with white as a main colour (Bud, Zoe), only Anemone has that prismatic effect. Fittingly, a rainbow is what you get if you pass white light through a prism.

isasphere
Mar 7, 2013

Tiny Myers posted:

Gonna double post because it deserves it

https://www.sleeplessdomain.com/comic/chapter-7-page-23

Holy poo poo, this page hits so much harder when you know that Kokoro's mother died protecting her from a monster, and couldn't protect her own family because she lost her powers when they went into Kokoro. And that Kokoro goes to a therapist and takes antidepressants.

"It's not your fault. No matter how much it feels that way, it's not." You can tell she's had to spend years convincing herself of that. :cry: This comic is so loving good, dude.

That is such a good page, and honestly when this comic won me over. It was such a leap of faith from Undine to just finally tell someone the truth about the event, mysterious monster girl and all, but by that point Kokoro had been giving off green flags that she could be trusted with heavy emotional stuff, it's just that neither Undine nor the audience knew why.

Also, yeah, Anemone definitely has touches of the Girl in White's design when she is in her rainbow super mode.

Didn't someone theorize that Anemone, Goops and the Girl in White might have been one single person once, a proto magical girl of sorts?

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

isasphere posted:

That is such a good page, and honestly when this comic won me over. It was such a leap of faith from Undine to just finally tell someone the truth about the event, mysterious monster girl and all, but by that point Kokoro had been giving off green flags that she could be trusted with heavy emotional stuff, it's just that neither Undine nor the audience knew why.
It's so realistic, too. So often stories have the problem of the characters never just TALKING TO EACH OTHER and explaining what's going on, even if it would make way more sense if they did - they're artificially kept from doing so to keep the story going, because so many problems would be instantly resolved if the characters were simply on the same page.

But the characters regularly talk to each other and share information and poo poo STILL happens. Undine tells Kokoro! Undine tells their group! Undine tells an adult! Undine even tells Tessa, and Tessa's transformation doesn't happen because she doesn't have that information, it happens partly because she does, which makes it even scarier because she's fully informed of what Goops has done and still actively chooses this!

It's just such a good comic that actively tries to avoid the easy road in writing and I love it so much. :allears:

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009
My understanding was she didn't expect this to be a deal so much as...

isasphere
Mar 7, 2013

Tiny Myers posted:

It's so realistic, too. So often stories have the problem of the characters never just TALKING TO EACH OTHER and explaining what's going on, even if it would make way more sense if they did - they're artificially kept from doing so to keep the story going, because so many problems would be instantly resolved if the characters were simply on the same page.

But the characters regularly talk to each other and share information and poo poo STILL happens. Undine tells Kokoro! Undine tells their group! Undine tells an adult! Undine even tells Tessa, and Tessa's transformation doesn't happen because she doesn't have that information, it happens partly because she does, which makes it even scarier because she's fully informed of what Goops has done and still actively chooses this!

It's just such a good comic that actively tries to avoid the easy road in writing and I love it so much. :allears:

It's such good writing. It makes Goop a more credible threat, too.

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Home sweet home.

I figured there was no going back, so the next page or two could blow my mind.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Yeah, I'm hoping Contessa can, in fact, turn back and go on living her normal life, because frankly that's way more interesting than her having to live on a roof somewhere.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

Rand Brittain posted:

Yeah, I'm hoping Contessa can, in fact, turn back and go on living her normal life, because frankly that's way more interesting than her having to live on a roof somewhere.

*goo on

But yeah, this hadn't even occurred to me but it's a really interesting dynamic if Tessa is fully aware of what she's done but keeps going to school and living kind of a double life. Especially as far as interacting with Undyne goes.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

I'm enamoured with the idea that Goops would fully withdraw from Tessa and let her go about her day freely, safe in the knowledge that Tessa is in no way capable of telling anyone about her problems. But realistically seeing her finally separate from the ground, Goops is clearly going to be riding around in that head for a while yet.

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Goops has found the one way to make Tessa even less functional in day-to-day society -- and/or Tessa will feel alive again for the first time in ages. She probably can't go back to feeling like the protagonist of the universe, but antagonist is an option now.

I wonder if her parents realize she's gone, and if so, what she'll tell them.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
Ok, I think this is gonna rule.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Ragnar34 posted:

Goops has found the one way to make Tessa even less functional in day-to-day society -- and/or Tessa will feel alive again for the first time in ages. She probably can't go back to feeling like the protagonist of the universe, but antagonist is an option now.

I wonder if her parents realize she's gone, and if so, what she'll tell them.

Are you kidding? Gooptessa absolutely considers themself to be protagonist of the universe. Go back and reread their dialogue.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
Alternatively, Gooptessa is about to murder some parents.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

"...let's see." could also be someone about to realize they hadn't thought this far ahead.