Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Favorite arc?
The Hunter Exam
Heaven's Arena
Yorknew City
Greed Island
The Chimera Ants
The 13th Hunter Chairman Election
View Results

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Considering that real world capabilities are what killed the Ant King and that military-grade bullets can hurt most people who aren't Uvogin even with the application of nen, I dunno what the high-level distinction is supposed to be.

Also, considering that mafia peeps can procure the likes of bazookas (a mafia used a bazooka on Uvogin and Uvogin was mostly unscathed by virtue of being Uvogin), and that the dude is like the second-in-command of one of the country's biggest mafia organizations, why wouldn't he be able to procure bombs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

Considering that real world capabilities are what killed the Ant King and that military-grade bullets can hurt most people who aren't Uvogin even with the application of nen, I dunno what the high-level distinction is supposed to be.

Also, considering that mafia peeps can procure the likes of bazookas (a mafia used a bazooka on Uvogin and Uvogin was mostly unscathed by virtue of being Uvogin), and that the dude is like the second-in-command of one of the country's biggest mafia organizations, why wouldn't he be able to procure bombs?

After writing that post, I started to think on Uvogin's case, and how powerful he was as an enhancer in the scale of nen users, and how it ties with Kurapica's comments on this last arc about being able to stop .22 small bullets but 9mm and bigger calibers being more an danger. Of course it's all 'soft', very relative information, there isn't a hard, objective list of how strong each character is, nor how strong are physically/how good are in the enhancer category.
Can an assault rifle, which have around 7-8 times the stopping power of a pistol, kill Killua? And Gon?

Wait, this road only goes to the insane and unending power rankings and discussions of superhero fans, so let's leave it now that we can.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Turin Turambar posted:

). With this I mean he is limited by real world capabilities, like pistols, shotguns, handcuffs,

and atomic weapons

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Tunicate posted:

and atomic weapons

I know, I thought of that. But come one, I don't think he can get his hands on one... that's why I mentioned C4, thinking that would be his limit.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Turin Turambar posted:

I know, I thought of that. But come one, I don't think he can get his hands on one... that's why I mentioned C4, thinking that would be his limit.

I mean Chimera Ant arc was basically in not-NK, presumably someone with solid mafia connections could potentially get their hands on a Rose in the underground market (for a very high price) given that non-proliferation seems shaky at best

not saying its likely or anything, but a guy that can augment/scale Real World Weapons and the general A class poo poo human society can make to kill itself adds a lot of potential to both himself and those societies if placed correctly.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
enhanced aura fluctuates a lot, anyway. even uvogin probably didn't keep it turned to full blast at all times.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
Just adding self-delivery capacity to modern ordnance is a huge power multiplier. As long as he has access to munitions he can probably tackle most challenges. His main weakness is impromptu attackers.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The Bomber vs Uvogin could be fun

Desumaytah
Apr 23, 2005

Intensity, .mpeg gritty, Intelligence

ImpAtom posted:

That's exactly what we got at the end of Greed Island tho :confused:

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

I don't get the impression that the Bombers were on the Troupe's level.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

bees x1000 posted:

They are not but 'explodes from the inside' is a pretty great equalizer

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

bees x1000 posted:

Genthru was. He was apparently near Biscuit in skill level.

Desumaytah
Apr 23, 2005

Intensity, .mpeg gritty, Intelligence
Genthru vs Kurapika would have been fun, I bet.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Desumaytah posted:

Genthru vs Kurapika would have been fun, I bet.

I would lean Genthru assuming neither knows each other’s abilities.

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

genthru easily. the arc basically hits you over the head as hard as it can without outright telling you that if it werent for gon being an actual psychopath theyd have had no shot

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
FUCK U and never come back

Kyte posted:

Just adding self-delivery capacity to modern ordnance is a huge power multiplier. As long as he has access to munitions he can probably tackle most challenges. His main weakness is impromptu attackers.

I'd say his main weakness is that the self-delivery capacity is limited by the physical capabilities of the animals. Turning a gun into a snake that can shoot bullets from its mouth can be scary, but even with nen enhancement, a snake isn't going to be climbing over obstacles. Even if he transforms something into a bird to make it fly, it's not like birds can move freely in three dimensions, and someone like Gon or Killua ought to have no trouble dodging the movements of a bird - even if it happens to be faster and stronger than an ordinary bird.

It's very powerful against people with little to no nen combat experience, but many pro Hunters are used to dealing with dangerous animals as well as nen powers. As long as they're not caught totally off-guard by the ability, they should be able to give Hinrigh a tough time. It's probably a bit on the weak side compared to some of the other stuff a manipulator could use.

Though of course, that doesn't mean it should be written off as useless - strong limitations often come with strong advantages, like having better movement capabilities than regular autonomous-type manipulations or materializations, or being able to use more of them thanks to a reduced nen drain, or things like that.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

They are not but 'explodes from the inside' is a pretty great equalizer

That's assuming he can even fulfill his conditions and then not getting ganked within the 6000 or so heartbeats his bomb will last or remote detonate them immediately. Plus he'd have to nail all of them to also not die horribly as GI had Nobunaga, machi, Kalluto, Shalnark, Kortupi, and Shizuku on the island if my memory is correct.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Brought To You By posted:

That's assuming he can even fulfill his conditions and then not getting ganked within the 6000 or so heartbeats his bomb will last or remote detonate them immediately. Plus he'd have to nail all of them to also not die horribly as GI had Nobunaga, machi, Kalluto, Shalnark, Kortupi, and Shizuku on the island if my memory is correct.

Oh he would have been no match for the Troupe as a whole, but individually he was around their level.

FAT BATMAN
Dec 12, 2009

Edit: completely wrong thread, sorry

FAT BATMAN fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Oct 26, 2022

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Paper Lion posted:

genthru easily. the arc basically hits you over the head as hard as it can without outright telling you that if it werent for gon being an actual psychopath theyd have had no shot

I thought the plan would have worked regardless of him being insane (tilt him enough to get serious, run away to the trap pit, rock his world) but Gon decided he needed his Pyrrhic Rocky victory and in the course of going the distance got his hand blown off and throat crushed?

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Yeah Gon got the poo poo kicked out of him as a newbie nen user out of his own stubborn pride including getting one of his hands outright blown up by Genthru. I'm not sure how much that extends to a more practiced user but Genthru probably wouldn't be the type to get in a fair fight in the first place.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
He was cautious about getting directly in a fight with Tezgerra’s Team until it was their best chance to win. (Plus Tezgerra only running from the Bombers gave him the impression they did not want a fight which emboldened him)

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

BTW, Uvogin first fight against the mafia remains as one of my favorite HxH fights, in the sense Togashi makes the boring power of 'being very strong' interesting for the reader. He can counter snipe with a rock, punch the ground, shout loud, etc.

bees x1000 posted:

Well, the Troupe's level can vary a fair bit. Some are more combat oriented and others are less. The Bomber powers was more focused on setting a grand trap than in straight up combat, I have the feeling he falls somewhat in the middle, below fighters like Uvo, Feitan or Shank but above support like Kortopi or Shizuku.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Turin Turambar posted:

BTW, Uvogin first fight against the mafia remains as one of my favorite HxH fights, in the sense Togashi makes the boring power of 'being very strong' interesting for the reader. He can counter snipe with a rock, punch the ground, shout loud, etc.

Uvo vs the mafia is seriously in my top thirty anime fights, it’s just an insanely savage beatdown from a guy who spends half the fight paralyzed from the neck down. It kinda shows how cracked nen potentially is and how people like Biscuit have abilities with no direct combat utility and still manage to be monsters.

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

Really like the panel that shows how hard to see the cat is in that location Without that panel you might think "oh anyone might be suspicious of that cat being so close to the entrance". Try reading those pages without that panel.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Spoilers on twitter of the next chapter. And in other places I guess. This is going to be a more important chapter than the previous one.
Some fan theories are going down this week.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

So I finally caught up since this showed up on the shonen jump app. I kind of hate myself for doing so since there's no resolution in site.

God drat this arc is incredibly cool and ambitious. Feels like a pen and paper rpg game.

4th prince is ridiculously OP.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

https://onepiecechapters.com/chapters/4712/hunter-x-hunter-chapter-392

A packed chapter.

Hisoka appears on the third deck. And he is just strolling around, ruining the theories of 'Bellerante is Hisoka disguised' or 'Illumi is Isoka', and etc. Things are getting more interesting with him, as he may ally with Hei-Ly or Cha-R mafias against the Spiders. Also, a reminder that in the third deck there are some Zodiacs, including Leorio and Mizaistom, Illumi, and other people.

Togashi continues with his focus on nen after death. In this case, corpse retrieval ability from a zombie girl that appeared after her death, so the work can continue. Work-a-holic!

The guy trying to get a special card for the autograph of the Troupe was funny. Some people think this explanation of how the supply drones work could be a chekov gun for later, but I think is just Togashi and his worldbuilding going on misc stuff.

Speaking of funny, I found the last part hilarious, of Luini mentioning the Spiders wiki page and how maybe it needs a 'citation needed' in places.

Cha-R perspective is explained, they'd like to use Hisoka or Hei-Ly to remove the problem that are the Phantom Troupe going around, and kill two birds with one stone. But they admit how hard will be, as they are all too chaotic to predict.

Hinrigh has a lead on Hei-Ly lair, let's see what he does.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
The interactions between the spiders and the rest of the mafias are great, I hope that guy gets an autograph and lives to enjoy it.

I re-read from the start of this arc and it feels amazing how much has happened in comparatively little time but how easy it is to follow when there aren't huge breaks. There's so many meetings I can't wait to see and there are like four different princes I'd like to have a real shot at winning.

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
love that hisoka's appearance isn't even the highlight of the chapter when there's the autograph guy & the hitman complaining about the spiders' wiki page being inaccurate

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
can someone remind me why the spiders are waiting for the hitman in the char-r hq? why do they care about him? because he'll lead them to morena and then to hisoka? specifically the line 'they are cunning enough to wait for him to come' but maybe that's a speed scan thing and the real tl will be clearer

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Foul Fowl posted:

can someone remind me why the spiders are waiting for the hitman in the char-r hq? why do they care about him? because he'll lead them to morena and then to hisoka? specifically the line 'they are cunning enough to wait for him to come' but maybe that's a speed scan thing and the real tl will be clearer

They just wanted to do things 'right' and help one of the mafia families to have their assistance later to find Hisoka, instead of rushing things through.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

Foul Fowl posted:

Didn't the guy try to frame them earlier? He's also telling them what they should be doing here. I don't think the Spiders like someone trying to manipulate them

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

It's a masterpiece!

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

This chapter is everything I wanted from HxH being back, and more. The beginning of the succession war with the kurapika focus wasn't my favorite, but this is turning into york shin in overdrive and I'm loving it. So good.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Son of Rodney posted:

This chapter is everything I wanted from HxH being back, and more. The beginning of the succession war with the kurapika focus wasn't my favorite, but this is turning into york shin in overdrive and I'm loving it. So good.

It is funny, I saw an article earlier saying HxH was terrible because the main characters (Gon and Killua) were not around and I was just like ???

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013
Like how Game of Thrones is terrible because Eddard Stark doesn't show up again after the first season/book.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

It is funny, I saw an article earlier saying HxH was terrible because the main characters (Gon and Killua) were not around and I was just like ???

In a way, it's a similar sentiment to Star Wars fans wanting Star Wars to be about the Force and Skywalkers, and ignoring great series (watch it if you still aren't doing it) something new in that ip, like Andor.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Pierson posted:

I re-read from the start of this arc and it feels amazing how much has happened in comparatively little time but how easy it is to follow when there aren't huge breaks. There's so many meetings I can't wait to see and there are like four different princes I'd like to have a real shot at winning.

I will bite. What are your favorite Princes that you'd like to win?

Halk or one of the kids are too obvious of a good ending. Tse would be too much a bad ending. I'd prefer Zhang or Tubeppa. If series want to surprise us, it could well be Benjamin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Turin Turambar posted:

I will bite. What are your favorite Princes that you'd like to win?
If I assume that the ritual does follow through to the end the winners are likely to be Benjamin, Halkenburg, and Zhang in that order. Benjamin still has the strongest position and is individually a monster compared to any of his siblings with nen and the guardian spirits cannot attack him directly. Halkenburg just awoke to a power that will let him really take command and infiltrate other rooms meaning he's got the tools to change the landscape. Zhang has the proper alliance and information networks plus a nen beast whose power we're told will scale with time so the longer he lives the more we can expect to see from his coins in service of defending him and at least whittling off other prince's guards.