Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

silvergoose posted:

There's a ridiculously big geeklist with recommendations for every game imaginable https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/164572/card-sleeve-sizes-games

That's sizes, not which sleeves you should get.

Paladin do good sleeves I'm told. I use Giochix 120-micron sleeves which are extremely durable and well costed but also thicker than most inserts will accept.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
I default to Sleeve Kings. I find they have a good balance between price and quality, and between between being thick enough to be sturdy and thin enough to not take up too much space.

CaptainApathyUK
Sep 6, 2010

I rarely sleeve except for stuff where I'm seeing a need to, or for stuff that I know will be a pain to replace. I favour Paladins because they're decent quality without being too expensive, and they have a pretty comprehensive range of different sizes.

The one downside is they're not as common in general UK retail so you have to be a bit more proactive about ordering them when you get the chance.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

uncle blog posted:

What's the thread consensus on Clank!? And which version is the one to get? Looking for a medium/light game that plays fairly fast and works well with 2-4 players. Have previously tried Quacks, Quest for Eldorado, Splendor and a few others. Want something a bit thematic with a decent amount of interaction and a bit more complexity than what those had.

The times I've played Clank!, it was a slow slog and an RNG-fest. I would not recommend it.

If you are looking for "interaction", do you want something exclusively competitive? Or does a cooperative game work?

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

uncle blog posted:

What's the thread consensus on Clank!? And which version is the one to get? Looking for a medium/light game that plays fairly fast and works well with 2-4 players. Have previously tried Quacks, Quest for Eldorado, Splendor and a few others. Want something a bit thematic with a decent amount of interaction and a bit more complexity than what those had.

Depends how deep you are in the hobby. I know a lot of "lighter" fans of board games that absolutely love Clank so there's that. My personal opinion is that I've played Clank in Space and hated it. It is an ungood deckbuilder and an ungood game mixed together to make an ungood experience. If you're into deck-builders you've got a lot of options and whether you want something more pure a la Dominion or Valley of the Kings, or something that's a hybrid like Super Motherload, El Dorado, or Dune Imperium the world is your oyster and I'd recommend going in those directions first.

The nice thing is that because Clank is so goddamned popular, odds are your local cafe or board game group probably has a couple copies floating around to try before you buy.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Are you sleeping because it's a game like Concordia, Brass:Birmingham, or Dune:Imperium and players are going to be holding their cards in their grubby, sweaty claws for hours straight? Sleeve Kings work fine.

Is it a game where you are going to be manipulating your cards a bunch and/or deal with more than a few at a time randomly? (Dominion, Cosmic Encounter)? Buy better sleeves.

I cheaped out, bought Sleeve Kings to sleeve my entire CE set (all 800 cards or whatever it is with Odyssey), and man is it a pain to shuffle or manipulate them in hand, especially if you start to get a hand much over 10 in size.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Funzo posted:

I know this has come up before, but are there recommendations for board game card sleeves, or just get whatever is cheap?

I'd stay away from Mayday, they're flimsy and often don't fit right (the exception is that they have some sleeves I can't find anywhere else, like for Letter Jam). My preference is KMC (usually Perfect Fit) whenever I can, since they're thin, fit tight, and despite being thin are still decent quality. If not those I typically default to FFG since they're pretty good quality, though I'm willing to bet they're overpriced.

But yeah if you get flimsy sleeves it's going to be bad to shuffle and hold cards and not worth whatever cheap price you pay for them.

Llyranor
Jun 24, 2013
I used to be a compulsive sleever. Now I'm kind of leaning more towards not needing to sleeve anything, unless you shuffle the deck a lot or you need the cards to be perfect (for a deduction game or whatever)

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Clank’s enjoyable but it feels like there’s a quarter of a game that’s supposed to be there but never happens because there’s an abrupt time limit on the end of the game as soon as anyone turns around, which someone usually does as soon as they reach a medium value treasure. Whether or not the first person back to the surface actually wins, it still puts a hard ceiling on how much everyone else can do and I’ve never seen the lowest levels of the board come into play.

I have not played with any expansions or different versions, maybe it can be better

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

The only game of Clank I played saw one person zoom all the way to the bottom, zoom all the way back, then stalled two spaces from the exit frantically trying to get movement cards while the rest of us passed him with middling treasures.

Not a fan.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Funzo posted:

I know this has come up before, but are there recommendations for board game card sleeves, or just get whatever is cheap?

The BGG list is certainly the best place to start. I like Dragon Shields for normal sized (TCG) games. They are pricey, though. The company that owns them (Arcane Tinmen) make sleeves of different sizes, but I've never tried them.

At this point I only sleeve a game if it has a lot of shuffling or if it's not guaranteed to get back into print. Like, I didn't sleeve Concordia, so my cards are all messed up but I can just get another set if I really want.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
Nowadays I tend to throw sleeves on any game which has cards that you need to shuffle at least occasionally, unless there are a lot of cards. It's such a small extra cost to get 1 or 2 packs of sleeves and it makes the game look and feel better.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Magnetic North posted:

The BGG list is certainly the best place to start. I like Dragon Shields for normal sized (TCG) games. They are pricey, though. The company that owns them (Arcane Tinmen) make sleeves of different sizes, but I've never tried them.

At this point I only sleeve a game if it has a lot of shuffling or if it's not guaranteed to get back into print. Like, I didn't sleeve Concordia, so my cards are all messed up but I can just get another set if I really want.

I was just the other way with Concordia. I knew people would be deathgripping them in their grubby little claws so I sleeved them to provide some protection. All the shuffling you need to do in the game is a little bit of overhand dropping (not sure of the real name) to get the I-V cards randomized. I figured $5 of sleeves was worth not worrying about the damage to the game or being a scold when I bring it to the game cafe and Cheetos McFingers sits down to play.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.
I routinely have people eating and (mostly) drinking at my game nights, so I sleeve my games and don't worry about whatever may come. My only recommendation for sleeves is to get one of the heavier weight options. Any of the major brands should be fine really. For games where cards ARE the game (Magic, etc.) I use Dragonshield.

(Also, I really like being able to mash shuffle vs riffle shuffle.)

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

I just hate it when things got tightly in the box, either in an insert or because of the number of components, and I have to make a choice about, like, box bulge or sleeveless cards.

Got the Bargain Quest kickstarter years back and this is a big problem I had with it. Not to mention any number of games with inserts that I quite like, save for the inability to sleeve and still fit inside.

GetDunked
Dec 16, 2011

respectfully

Admiralty Flag posted:

Are you sleeping because it's a game like Concordia, Brass:Birmingham, or Dune:Imperium and players are going to be holding their cards in their grubby, sweaty claws for hours straight? Sleeve Kings work fine.

Is it a game where you are going to be manipulating your cards a bunch and/or deal with more than a few at a time randomly? (Dominion, Cosmic Encounter)? Buy better sleeves.

I cheaped out, bought Sleeve Kings to sleeve my entire CE set (all 800 cards or whatever it is with Odyssey), and man is it a pain to shuffle or manipulate them in hand, especially if you start to get a hand much over 10 in size.

Yeesh. I've been looking into sleeving my very well loved complete CE set, but it seems like a huge pain to sleeve hundreds of flares, of which like 10 will show up in any given game, and will absolutely break the foam insert I've been using (which already can't fit all the new alien sheets from CO)

How have you been storing it out of curiosity?

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
For me, Clank is fun because of the experience, not because of the 'game' of it. I don't think it's a very good game, but it can be quite a pleasant experience, so I'm not gonna poo poo on it. But it goes a long way to explaining why I think Clank Legacy is the infinitely better version. It leans right in to being an experience generator, and is genuinely well written, and funny. It does all the things Clank does, much better and doesn't really pretend to be a game that it isn't.

I think legacy so fully outclasses regular clank that it's like a demo vs a full game and couldn't go back.

Viper915
Sep 18, 2005
Pokey Little Puppy

Has anyone sleeved Res Arcana with the expansions? My brother in law got me a pack of dragon shields for it for my birthday since he knows it's one of my favorite games. The only downside is that the amount of thickness they add is enough that I was only able to sleeve the base game and first expansion cards before I ran out of depth in the insert, which I like and don't want to discard. I'd love something that feels good, but is just a little thinner so I can get the second expansion sleeved as well.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Viper915 posted:

Has anyone sleeved Res Arcana with the expansions? My brother in law got me a pack of dragon shields for it for my birthday since he knows it's one of my favorite games. The only downside is that the amount of thickness they add is enough that I was only able to sleeve the base game and first expansion cards before I ran out of depth in the insert, which I like and don't want to discard. I'd love something that feels good, but is just a little thinner so I can get the second expansion sleeved as well.

I can't say if this'll fit all the cards, but it looks like those cards are standard size, and my go-to for thin sleeves has always been https://www.amazon.ca/KMC-Sleeves-4521086000273-100-Pack/dp/B0007N7PB2

Viper915
Sep 18, 2005
Pokey Little Puppy

Morpheus posted:

I can't say if this'll fit all the cards, but it looks like those cards are standard size, and my go-to for thin sleeves has always been https://www.amazon.ca/KMC-Sleeves-4521086000273-100-Pack/dp/B0007N7PB2

I used these sleeves for imperium classics/legends and like them for that game, but was hoping for some middle ground between them and dragon shields for res arcana. Thank you though!

mellifluous
Jun 28, 2007

Morpheus posted:

Oh, it totally sucks. I sent an email to the publisher to let them know about it, because the only reason I caught I was because I took out all the components and was curious what the distribution of shape/color tiles was (two of each combo).

This is a game in which you draw these tiles out of a bag, so it is extremely possible that someone will play multiple plays and not even realize something is hosed.

I had this same misprint (three yellow spades, one purple heart), so I imagine it's a widespread problem. I didn't see a post about it on BGG, so I made one so that other people could check. Since you wound up with a second misprinted copy, I've decided not to contact the retailer because I doubt it will fix the problem. I'll mark up one of the yellow spades into a purple heart, but it's disappointing that the publisher wasn't willing to simply send a single tile, even if I didn't buy it directly from them.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

GetDunked posted:

Yeesh. I've been looking into sleeving my very well loved complete CE set, but it seems like a huge pain to sleeve hundreds of flares, of which like 10 will show up in any given game, and will absolutely break the foam insert I've been using (which already can't fit all the new alien sheets from CO)

How have you been storing it out of curiosity?
I sleeved CE because with my much-played Mayfair set, it got to be way too easy to grab the flares as consolation. Easier answer would have been "You shuffle your hand and deal off the top X cards," but what the hell, right? Just wish I hadn't cheaped out. Now the impediment to doing it right isn't really cost so much as the drudgery of resleeving 627 cards (though according to a spreadsheet I put together I could get away with doing only 427 cards, because I wouldn't need to resleeve hazard cards because they don't get handled as much as the rest, plus there's a lot that just don't get used (yet) like the station cards, tech cards, or the Odyssey cards).

Anal-retentive storage solution incoming (well, true anal-retentive would require cutting a new box to fit everything, but here it is):

In my core CE box, I made a foamcore insert box for almost all of the regular-sized cards that is the height of the inside of the box, stretches the length of the whole box, and is 9.5 cm wide (i.e., the height of a sleeved card) internally. It fits all the sleeved regular-sized cards (except the "unplayable" flares and the Cosmic Odyssey cards), which have a bunch of dividers separating them into sections (including, e.g., green, yellow, red, and extra color flares so I can avoid using Symbiote in an eight-player game or keep it limited to Green powers for the first game with a newb). That insert rests along a side and takes up about a third of the box. Then I have the "playable* powers" alphabetized in four separate bags (A-D, E-K, L-P, Q-Z**), which are stacked and stuffed lengthwise into the corner leaving an open square in the box. (This leads to about a cm of lid lift.) At the bottom of the square go the warp and the cone, and on top of those are stacked bags with six colors and the cosmic tokens. Rules and my teaching script go on top. I also store the hazard token in a dime bag free-floating on top of the cards.

In the Cosmic Odyssey box, with the cardboard insert still in place, I have the "unplayable* powers" resting in the middle, with a bag containing the essence cards on top of those. In the slot on one side of that I have bags with unused cards (flares for unplayable* powers, replaced destiny cards, 'classic flares,' cards & discs for cheese moons I don't like, etc.) and campaign cards stacked side by side. In the other slot, I pack bagged moons and moon cards. On top of/wedged between all these, I have the other two colors as well as a ton of labelled dime bags (or larger, as needed) with all the miscellaneous crap: power-specific tokens, space stations, sky bases, Cosmic Eons dials, etc. On top of all that, I have all the expansion rules as well as the Odyssey rules and campaign pad. No lid lift.

* I have a list of 40 unplayable powers. 11 are powers replaced by Cosmic Odyssey, and the rest are powers that I just don't like and keep out of the game for different reasons (Chrysalis slows the game down [especially because we do power selection by dealing flares then picking powers and not all players know the powers well], Geek rewards experienced players unduly and slows the game down, Maven trivializes important encounters without any real benefit to the power owner, etc.)
** Not broken down into four equal sizes but rather into the sizings that would fit the bags I had that would fit power-sized cards.

Both boxes are sealed with these: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GLJ421W/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1. I could bear the Cosmic Odyssey box opening, but if the CE box spilled, I'd have to resort all the cards into the 27 different categories and that might drive me crazy.

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

uncle blog posted:

I don't hate Clank - but it can be a bit of a random slog (I can only speak to base Clank, I haven't tried the further versions).

Most deckbuilders can have "non-turns" where you draw the wrong mix of stuff. In Dominion you can draw all your terminals at once, or have an overload of gold. But in Clank it happens way more. "What you want to do" varies based on where you are, and with 3 "currencies" (used for "buy", "move", and "fight") for stuff you want to do, it feels like too many turns are blanked out by "drawing wrong".

It also has some real balance problems, meaning you're often buying "the good cards" on autopilot... and then just hoping they come back at the right time. There's more layers of randomness on top of that, and the overall pacing of the game often doesn't seem to match the intended narrative.

Not, like... a bad game. But my play group didn't find it very satisfying either.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Funzo posted:

https://www.sleeveyourgames.com is very useful

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Clank is A Good Game and goons are haters

Space is probably the best ~mechanically~ and Acq Inc is best thematically

Also, sleeve cards with inner sleeves, like KMC Perfect Fits. Doesn’t make the card stack fat and gives you reasonable room to fit them in a box or whatever. Though if you have cheaply cut cards the sizing can be tight. I sleeved Etherfields with the included (Paladin?) sleeves and they’re way too thick, to the point of being annoying to work with. Same with all the other CCG sleeves. Fine for Pokémon cards, skip for board games

PRADA SLUT fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Oct 24, 2022

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

armorer posted:

QML posted an update regarding Blacklist Miniatures FS1 a few days ago -
https://www.qmlogistics.com/blacklist/

Seems like there will finally be a way for folks to pay (again) for shipping in a few weeks?

Cross-posting from the crowdfunding thread.

Street Horrrsing
Mar 24, 2010

Godwalker of The Grateful Prisoner

jmzero posted:

I don't hate Clank - but it can be a bit of a random slog (I can only speak to base Clank, I haven't tried the further versions).

Most deckbuilders can have "non-turns" where you draw the wrong mix of stuff. In Dominion you can draw all your terminals at once, or have an overload of gold. But in Clank it happens way more. "What you want to do" varies based on where you are, and with 3 "currencies" (used for "buy", "move", and "fight") for stuff you want to do, it feels like too many turns are blanked out by "drawing wrong".

It also has some real balance problems, meaning you're often buying "the good cards" on autopilot... and then just hoping they come back at the right time. There's more layers of randomness on top of that, and the overall pacing of the game often doesn't seem to match the intended narrative.

Not, like... a bad game. But my play group didn't find it very satisfying either.

Yeah this is pretty much my take on it as well. The randomness can be a point in it's favor if you're playing with family members who aren't as versed in board games and their strategies as you are. The Quest for El Dorado hits a lot of similar notes and is a better game imo but clank has it's place. Is clank legacy a one and done campaign game, or by the end, you've just unlocked all the cards for the real game?

Pseudoscorpion
Jul 26, 2011

Clank is a good light game to shoot the poo poo over.

JoeRules
Jul 11, 2001
I'm gonna take a slightly different recommendation for Clank - I've played the base game with the water expansion, and own In Space and completed Legacy. If you want something fairly light and quick, go with base Clank, and maybe opt for 1 expansion map down the road. In Space and Legacy both add a decent bit of setup time and rules overhead. Both very enjoyable experiences - and I'm at least a little curious how the tile version weighs in on setup/rules - but from the original question, it sounds like the most streamlined version might make sense.

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

Never played Clank but played the Hunger which I have been informed is pretty similar in game design. The Hunger is a very fun low-level investment of a game to play while having chips/dips/drinks with friends who like board games.

uncle blog
Nov 18, 2012

Welp, bought Clank og version before reading these last comments. Did a dry run too, to learn the rules. Seems totally fine mechanically, but I can totally see it being prone to randomness of market row and card draw. I might try expanding the market row or something similar if it seems too have to much of an impact. Does one of the expansions add a bunch of cool cards to make the deck building options more diverse and complex? If so might add that as well before our first game.

Regarding El Dorado; I had that one as well. Sold after about five plays. Decent enough game, but the card pool didn't seem as interesting as they were all variants on "move forward, but slightly different". And me spending the first 20% of every game standing still just trashing tons of cards before beelinging it to the exit made it stale sooner than it probably otherwise would. Have actually looked at the expansions afterwards, but none seem to expand the complexity of the elegant base game, and instead just muddies it with new gimmicks.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Street Horrrsing posted:

Is clank legacy a one and done campaign game, or by the end, you've just unlocked all the cards for the real game?

Spoilered just on the off chance someone else wants to be surprised if they can play Clank Legacy after the campaign is done. If I remember correctly, I believe it is replayable once the story is done. I don't have the copy in front of me to check for sure.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
Gonna be playing The Kings dilemma this weekend, anything good to know before going in?

JoeRules
Jul 11, 2001

Magnetic North posted:

Spoilered just on the off chance someone else wants to be surprised if they can play Clank Legacy after the campaign is done. If I remember correctly, I believe it is replayable once the story is done. I don't have the copy in front of me to check for sure.

Spoiler is correct. Your board will be somewhat unique, and you'll have unlocked most cards from the chest, but not all, so every post-campaign box will look somewhat but not significantly different.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

!Klams posted:

Gonna be playing The Kings dilemma this weekend, anything good to know before going in?

something that kinda pissed me off and I wish I knew beforehand was (thematic spoiler for ending) that the final scenario card talks about the numerous violent rapes going on during the Bad Time that's happening. i'm lucky that no one in my group was particularly susceptible to that particular trigger but it felt really extreme and out of place with everything that came prior other than "well it's a fantasy world what do you expect"

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
I usually order from miniature market, but they're going through a warehouse move right now and I've seen people post on Facebook that they've been waiting a month+ for their order to ship. Has anyone ordered from them recently? I placed an order like four days ago and I'm curious what kind of wait I'm getting myself into.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Clank legacy involves you stickering up the board, adding new paths, changing what spaces do, etc. You’ll also sticker up some cards as well to change their costs or abilities, or write names on towns. The board starts basically 1/3 filled, with the rest being unknown lands you “explore” and sticker through the different plays.

You can start it from nothing and slowly grow out the board over 10 plays, and then you have a static board for the rest of the games life.

e.g., a you might get a quest for a specific playthrough, if you Do The Thing you add a coin or health sticker to the space, if you fail, you add a monster sticker to the route instead, while reading from a story book to describe the event. Some other times when you’re asked an abstractish fantasy RP question and depending on your answer, you might grab a town space or a portal sticker or whatever. So the board can be pretty variable between peoples copies.

Def feels more RPish than regular Clank.

uncle blog posted:

Welp, bought Clank og version before reading these last comments. Did a dry run too, to learn the rules. Seems totally fine mechanically, but I can totally see it being prone to randomness of market row and card draw. I might try expanding the market row or something similar if it seems too have to much of an impact. Does one of the expansions add a bunch of cool cards to make the deck building options more diverse and complex? If so might add that as well before our first game.

You can mix Clank Legacy and OG Clank together if you really wanted to make a fat draw deck. Just need to note some terminology changes depending on the board (e.g. crystal caves = forest spaces).

PRADA SLUT fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Oct 25, 2022

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

Count Thrashula posted:

I usually order from miniature market, but they're going through a warehouse move right now and I've seen people post on Facebook that they've been waiting a month+ for their order to ship. Has anyone ordered from them recently? I placed an order like four days ago and I'm curious what kind of wait I'm getting myself into.

My latest Miniature Market order was placed on August 17th and it shipped September 13th.

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

It may be confirmation bias but I feel like Miniature Market has been noticeably worse for about a year which falls in line with the previously kinda hush hush Asmodee acquisition. Worse shipping prior to the warehouse move, preorders rolling out way after release date, worse deals, less than savory stuff like heavily price gouging in demand TCGs, that kinda thing. Just all around less pleasant in little ways here and there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

Miniature Market - Back in August I preordered mutant genesis and jean grey from there, and cyclops from stone valley games since MM was marked sold out at the time. I got Cyclops the day of release (9/30 I think), and the MM order a week later (10/7).