Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Clive?
Clive
a
Clive
View Results

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Just put it on easy and butcher everything, you still get to see all the cool setpieces that way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
are you using Atreus

you should be volleying enemies with his arrows at all times, especially the zippy ones like in Alfheim

I just finished my replay of it this weekend and the combat was excellent, certainly better than the originals, but you need to make use of all tools (runic attacks/talisman/BOY) to really build momentum

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tyr34L56mKk

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

I certainly have complaints about the way combat is tuned but the game is a technical stunner and very polished overall which should eliminate any mystery about why it reviewed well.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Yeah it looks amazing, it ticks all the AAA boxes, and the story of Kratos and Atreus gets pretty engaging eventually

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Oxxidation posted:

are you using Atreus

I...think so? I mean, I hit square every once in a while to make him shoot arrows at stuff, and it's useful to have him distract one of the elves so I can deal with the other two, but most of the time there were so many elves that it didn't make much difference if I had six attacking me or all seven. I've bought him some skills, too, the first arrow damage increase and quiver upgrade, and the two initial light arrow upgrades, and a couple of the skills at the top of his tree that make him do different attacks during battle. I just wish he had an upgrade to make him shut up so each fight isn't a constant stream of "Father, look out!" because there's never more than three seconds between dodging one attack and another one coming at me.

I'm using my runic powers too, was much easier to remember once I noticed the cooldown UI in the bottom left and realized they were all R1 plus another button.

I dunno! Was real frustrated with what was probably supposed to be a cool setpiece, where you trash the temple and then have to fight your way up a narrow path through a million elves, and it was just so, so lame. Felt like I should be triumphantly smashing these losers on my way up to the top, but nope, gotta keep dodging because they're all trying to stab you, and it felt like I only made any progress when my Runic attacks were up.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

exquisite tea posted:

I always gotta temper my own JRPG expectations with the proclivities of this subforum because people will be like "this moment was so emotional for me, I could barely play it through tears" then when I get around to playing it six months later the scene in question is some big tiddy witch saying ~uguuu.

If you think that's bad endwalker doesnt even have a big tiddy witch!

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Unless your character is a big tiddy witch I suppose. Not me tho. I'm a glassy-eyed potato with a bright yellow hat

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

browsing thread early in morning vibin like

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=egj4QKglWmQ

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
i played some returnal this weekend. i got to phrike on my 3rd life and beat him my first try. then i got killed by a bigass artillery beetle in the desert

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

Phenotype posted:

I...think so? I mean, I hit square every once in a while to make him shoot arrows at stuff, and it's useful to have him distract one of the elves so I can deal with the other two, but most of the time there were so many elves that it didn't make much difference if I had six attacking me or all seven. I've bought him some skills, too, the first arrow damage increase and quiver upgrade, and the two initial light arrow upgrades, and a couple of the skills at the top of his tree that make him do different attacks during battle. I just wish he had an upgrade to make him shut up so each fight isn't a constant stream of "Father, look out!" because there's never more than three seconds between dodging one attack and another one coming at me.

I'm using my runic powers too, was much easier to remember once I noticed the cooldown UI in the bottom left and realized they were all R1 plus another button.

I dunno! Was real frustrated with what was probably supposed to be a cool setpiece, where you trash the temple and then have to fight your way up a narrow path through a million elves, and it was just so, so lame. Felt like I should be triumphantly smashing these losers on my way up to the top, but nope, gotta keep dodging because they're all trying to stab you, and it felt like I only made any progress when my Runic attacks were up.

upgrade his stun arrows first, that really helps especially with those annoying flying elves. Elfheim is the absolute worst area in the whole game, so power through it. Another tip, if you use your fists instead of an axe, you build up stun quickly on regular enemies and then you can finish them off instantly.

Also just play on normal, its the best.

bows1 fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Oct 24, 2022

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

Escobarbarian posted:

British PS goons I just found out that the superb show How To with John Wilson is on BBC iPlayer right now!! Absolutely bizarre for it to be there of all places but anyway lie about having a TV license and check it out, it’s intensely good especially if you like weird documentaries and Nathan Fielder poo poo

Best show

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

butt dickus posted:

i played some returnal this weekend. i got to phrike on my 3rd life and beat him my first try. then i got killed by a bigass artillery beetle in the desert

Sounds like you are doing better than the average player, Phrike usually comes up as the main roadbloack to the rest of the game for first time players. The bosses in Returnal are extremely cool, I wish there were even more of them.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

God of War is good but the elf enemies loving sucked. They auto-dodge your attacks and teleport away and spam projectiles and blind you and just were never fun to fight

Blind Rasputin posted:

I’m at Disney world with the kids and wife today. Possibly the best game on any platform. No tail to Magic Kingdom here we come!!
:ck5::goshawk::homebrew::jerky:

eh it’s a good game but the load times are ridiculous

Augus fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Oct 24, 2022

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

History Comes Inside! posted:

Just put it on easy and butcher everything

Excellent advice for every videogame ever.

Except persona 5, that just felt stupidly empty on easy

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

TLOU and 2LOU on Hard in my humble gaming opinion

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

exquisite tea posted:

In an act of karmic retribution Real Hurthling spent the last 10 years so brutally mocking sad dad games that he has now himself become the sad dad and can only enjoy 10 minutes of Katamari Reroll at a time until the kids kick him out of the den to play Roblox.

My kid only watches roblox youtube

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

TLOU and 2LOU on Hard in my humble gaming opinion

Survivor u casual

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Survivor u casual

Love a survivor run, but not on the first time through.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
If you finish a game, you were playing it on too easy of a difficulty. Real winners fail.

BigDumper
Feb 15, 2008

I’ve been on a huge Resident Evil kick that started with REmake last fall on Gamecube, so I’ve been eating good with ongoing REnaissance. Right now I’m playing RE7 and I just got to and interesting spot.

Without getting into spoilers, I was prompted to make a choice that seems like it would have story impact. Is it worth playing the game a second time and making the opposite choice the second time? Or is it more of a “watch the other ending on YouTube” situation? I’d like to play it again because this game rules, but I took a break from Elden Ring and I’m itching to get back into that.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The choice does have story impact, it affects the end of the boat sequence and the final cutscene of the game. IIRC it doesn't have major gameplay effects so it's probably not worth redoing the whole thing in person

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Sounds like you are doing better than the average player, Phrike usually comes up as the main roadbloack to the rest of the game for first time players. The bosses in Returnal are extremely cool, I wish there were even more of them.
the game is great and it really showcases the features of the controller. returnal is almost perfect for me because i'm pretty good at the action parts of games but i get lost easily. bloodborne is hard for me not because of the combat but because there's no map and i would get lost and just do the same areas over and over without figuring out where to go. that's where i am with tunic as well, fun combat but i have no idea where to go or what to do

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

browsing thread early in morning vibin like

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=egj4QKglWmQ

Coffee is over, time to head to the roof!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wHpMdgM0Sb4

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Volte posted:

If you finish a game, you were playing it on too easy of a difficulty. Real winners fail.
imagine if you went to the Louvre, and tried to look at the Mona Lisa, but only the top 10% was visible with a little sign saying "Do 10 push-ups to see more of the painting"

what the gently caress? you'd rightly say, but that's videogames

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
that is a dumb metaphor op

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Shrecknet posted:

imagine if you went to the Louvre, and tried to look at the Mona Lisa, but only the top 10% was visible with a little sign saying "Do 10 push-ups to see more of the painting"

Feels Villeneuve posted:

that is a dumb metaphor op

Tbf that was almost my exact experience the last time I went to see the mona lisa. It gets fucken crowded in there

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Shrecknet posted:

thank god that instead of that we live in the world where I merely have to fly to Paris and buy expensive tickets then wait on a long-rear end line to get to squint at the tiny-rear end Mona Lisa from across the room for like a minute

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Augus posted:

thank god that instead of that we live in the world where I merely have to fly to Paris and buy expensive tickets then wait on a long-rear end line to get to squint at the tiny-rear end Mona Lisa from across the room for like a minute

And someone might throw soup at it and glue themselves to a wall too

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
I keep precoging things alately and today i precogged this and it happend

https://twitter.com/Nibellion/status/1584551739977515008?t=mERi5Ko-L6tCzuCLbRe3FQ&s=19

And i feel like im wasting this new found power i wanna precog better things!!!!!!!

incorporeal
May 6, 2006

Can't wait to play bad game at (high FPS)

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out

Vikar Jerome posted:

I keep precoging things alately and today i precogged this and it happend

https://twitter.com/Nibellion/status/1584551739977515008?t=mERi5Ko-L6tCzuCLbRe3FQ&s=19

And i feel like im wasting this new found power i wanna precog better things!!!!!!!

Precog me some lotto numbers, drat

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Was just thinking about playing that again. Cool.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Real hurthling! posted:

And someone might throw soup at it and glue themselves to a wall too

only if paid to by a Getty

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

FO4 without the mod that makes the conversation menus actually show you what you’re going to say is unplayable trash

Did that one get ported to console in the end?

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

Augus posted:

And a woman trying to take a selfie with her iPad keeps trying to push me out of the bounded area, while I'm telling her if she doesn't mind I'd like to take 30 seconds to see it with my own eyes because I'm only here once in my life.

Ugh, not sure what that says about the video games analogy, though.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
imagine if you had to look at the Mona Lisa for two hours. that's movies, which are dumb as gently caress

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

FO4 without the mod that makes the conversation menus actually show you what you’re going to say is unplayable trash

If it did, it would only be on Xbox. Ps4 got a much worse selection of mods allegedly for technical reasons, and given who we're talking about I don't expect that to change for ps5

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

yes but only on Xbox One, the PS4 mods were restricted to only shifting around in-game assets

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

acksplode
May 17, 2004

The ideal video game is a Resident Evil with all the bonus art unlocked and the vestigial new/load game options removed. Hopefully some day this industry can shake off its conservative attachment to gameplay that holds back its true potential.