Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
Yeah, like Texas Chainsaw Massacre part 2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Open Source Idiom posted:

But Andor is pretty loving good. The villains are what make the show for me; I don't give a gently caress about Cassian Andor and don't find him compelling, but the nazi twunk and the desk jockey with permanent fart face are pretty good love to hate villains. Mon Mothma is decent too.

Andor is the only good thing to come out of Disney's Star Wars, it manages the impressive feat of making almost every character interesting. The fact that it's the spin-off no one asked for that ended up being good over Obi-Wans mediocrity is really funny

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Professional reviewers are a particularly weird bunch nowadays, given everyone who still has jobs in journalism is already a failchild and now they're all extremely online.

McCloud posted:

Andor is the only good thing to come out of Disney's Star Wars, it manages the impressive feat of making almost every character interesting. The fact that it's the spin-off no one asked for that ended up being good over Obi-Wans mediocrity is really funny

Still tracks that the poo poo which the Mouse doesn't really care about gets the chance to be good, while the big tentpoles are hosed sideways by micromanagement from a company that has never been any good at live action.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

TheSlutPit posted:

If you have the opportunity to see the new All Quiet on the Western Front remake in a theater I would recommend it. It’s not perfect, but it’s a very bleak movie that borrowed a lot from Come and See, though it diverges a bit from the novel and 1930 version. My only main issue is how they telegraph the rise of nazism pretty directly, like there’s a point during the armistice signing where the German guy basically says “uhhh idk seems like this could have some bad consequences” and then they later show the German general saying how good war is and how social democrats are cowards and should be killed. It was a bit weird in that it seemed to implicate Nazism as an inevitable consequence of war trauma and unfair treaties. There is probably a grain of historical truth to this but it feels like apologia coming from a german film that explicitly mirrors the style of another film portraying nazi atrocities in belarus

my understanding of the treaty of versailles loving over germany was that it was true but not in the way hitler was claiming their reparations package was actually quite reasonable and the weimar republic had no serious problems repaying it throughout the twenties the problem came when the great depression hit and we refused to renegotiate the payments to take the new economic situation into account

you are as surprised as i was im sure to learn that the hitler sympathetic treaty of versailles was evil vengeance interpretation we all remember from grammar school rather conveniently put the blame for nazism on the revenge obsessed european powers when in fact we were the ones who were unwilling to renegotiate the terms of the treaty or indeed do much of anything differently since the official government position at the time was that the invisible hand would sort everything out on its own

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

another more contemporary parallel worth noting the main difference between imf loans and china loans according to the people whove done both is that the imf laughs in your face anytime you try to renegotiate loan payments while china just says sure that sounds good

for some mysterious unfathomable reason no one likes to discuss how imf loans typically go any time theyre talking about chinese debt traps youd think the comparison would be very germane

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Yeah it's kinda funny how the treaty gets blamed on the vengeful French and British and not on the Americans demanding the Allies pay back the full war loans

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

The List Regiment book points out that the propaganda that really started to shape Hitler and the other future Nazis was coalescing before 1919, as early as 1916. In Austria-Hungary it started to tear at the fabric of the Empire as for a first time a virulent German nationalism arose within the army. There was no peace that was going to be acceptable by 1918 as the nature of the war had changed and the character of the Central Powers along with it.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

The Texas Chainsaw Massacre Part 2

A piece of classic cinema. Love that flick

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

MacheteZombie posted:

A piece of classic cinema. Love that flick

I had somehow never seen it before, despite being a huge horror movie fan as a teenager. I wish I had seen it before House of 1000 Corpses because I feel like Ho1kC borrows an absolutely insane amount from it, and Idk if I would have given Rob Zombie as much credit as a horror filmmaker if I had.

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

I'm pretty sure there are some fun as heck movies in the 30-50% fresh range, possibly the most interesting ones

mutantIke
Oct 24, 2022

Born in '04
Certified Zoomer
Ebert's review of WHAS is one of the most insufferable things ever, he does a bizarre "Hello Mudda, Hello Fadda" riff that goes on for way too long and doesn't really say that much about the movie. Rare Ebert L https://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/wet-hot-american-summer-2001

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

mutantIke posted:

Ebert's review of WHAS is one of the most insufferable things ever, he does a bizarre "Hello Mudda, Hello Fadda" riff that goes on for way too long and doesn't really say that much about the movie. Rare Ebert L https://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/wet-hot-american-summer-2001

He'd not understand movies a lot, despite that being his job. WHAS is one of the best comedies ever.

Maybe libs don't get jokes (this is it)

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

I had somehow never seen it before, despite being a huge horror movie fan as a teenager. I wish I had seen it before House of 1000 Corpses because I feel like Ho1kC borrows an absolutely insane amount from it, and Idk if I would have given Rob Zombie as much credit as a horror filmmaker if I had.

RZ is 100% doing TCM2 in Ho1kC with a little extra thrown in. House has grown me a bit since I watched it back in the day and is one of the only places you can see Chris Hardwick get murdered so that's a plus.

Lords of Salem is RZ's masterpiece imo.

UwUnabomber
Sep 9, 2012

Pubes dreaded out so hoes call me Chris Barnes. I don't wear a condom at the pig farm.

The House of 1000 Corpses is the Best Little Whorehouse in Texas.

mutantIke
Oct 24, 2022

Born in '04
Certified Zoomer

quote:

He'd not understand movies a lot, despite that being his job. WHAS is one of the best comedies ever.
Even the subpar Netflix sequels have some absolutely fantastic gags in them (the incredibly sudden death of Michael Cera's character comes to mind). I think it's moreso that Ebert was an old guy who didn't get Epicsauce Gen X Random Humor. His review of Freddy Got Fingered was similarly scathing, even if it didn't have an annoying framing mechanism. "The day may come when "Freddy Got Fingered" is seen as a milestone of neo-surrealism. The day may never come when it is seen as funny."

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Professional reviewers are a particularly weird bunch nowadays, given everyone who still has jobs in journalism is already a failchild and now they're all extremely online.

lol this reminds me of failson Ben Dreyfuss who got fired as a senior editor from Mother Jones because he threw a tantrum and insulted his colleagues on social media because they liked a movie he didn't

He even bitched about it a few days ago
https://twitter.com/bendreyfuss/status/1583620500349079553?s=20&t=cxpv-hIf0uJDvGZsweHdFw

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

MacheteZombie posted:

RZ is 100% doing TCM2 in Ho1kC with a little extra thrown in. House has grown me a bit since I watched it back in the day and is one of the only places you can see Chris Hardwick get murdered so that's a plus.

Haven't seen it yet but I'll probably check it out before the month is over. I like Ho1kC more than The Devil's Rejects tho, which felt much more meandering and directionless than the former - like he wanted to make a sequel but didn't know why or what these characters should be doing that would require catching up with them again.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
Also: I have created a stupid tic that everytime I see her name I am required to sing "Sherri Moon Zombie" to the tune of Paperback Writer

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

MacheteZombie posted:

RZ is 100% doing TCM2 in Ho1kC with a little extra thrown in.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

MacheteZombie posted:

agreed Lords of Salem is his best by a mile.

Munsters good too

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Which figures from popular culture have the funniest birth names and what are they?

I nominate Olivia Wilde and her original name Olivia Cockburn

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

McCloud posted:

lol this reminds me of failson Ben Dreyfuss who got fired as a senior editor from Mother Jones because he threw a tantrum and insulted his colleagues on social media because they liked a movie he didn't

https://twitter.com/bendreyfuss/status/1583620500349079553?s=20&t=cxpv-hIf0uJDvGZsweHdFw

he mistook work friends for actual friends, what a chump

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Which figures from popular culture have the funniest birth names and what are they?

Imogen Gay Poots.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Emma Stone's birth name is Emily Stone but she couldn't use that as her actress name because they already had an Emily Stone who beat her to it so she had to use Emma instead which is funny in a different way IMO

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Some Guy TT posted:

my understanding of the treaty of versailles loving over germany was that it was true but not in the way hitler was claiming their reparations package was actually quite reasonable and the weimar republic had no serious problems repaying it throughout the twenties the problem came when the great depression hit and we refused to renegotiate the payments to take the new economic situation into account

you are as surprised as i was im sure to learn that the hitler sympathetic treaty of versailles was evil vengeance interpretation we all remember from grammar school rather conveniently put the blame for nazism on the revenge obsessed european powers when in fact we were the ones who were unwilling to renegotiate the terms of the treaty or indeed do much of anything differently since the official government position at the time was that the invisible hand would sort everything out on its own

Though the funny part of the narrative is that I don't think I've ever heard anyone object to the idea that the rest of europe hosed Germany over a barrel while they had the leverage and went all shocked pikachu face when the country ended up a vengeful basket case, whether British, French or American. Nobody considers it remotely difficult to believe.

McCloud posted:

Pretty sure the movie in question was the Snyder Cut, too

Which camp are the insane internet weirdos who won't leave the other alone again?

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Michael Caine was born Maurice Joseph Mickelwhite which is just kind of a fun name

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

StashAugustine posted:

Yeah it's kinda funny how the treaty gets blamed on the vengeful French and British and not on the Americans demanding the Allies pay back the full war loans

APUSH is so weird because they trust you with all this top secret forbidden lore even tho you really haven't yet proven your loyalty to the managerial class.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

loquacius posted:

Emma Stone's birth name is Emily Stone but she couldn't use that as her actress name because they already had an Emily Stone who beat her to it so she had to use Emma instead which is funny in a different way IMO
Proof positive that Hollywood hates real white people.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Haven't seen it yet but I'll probably check it out before the month is over. I like Ho1kC more than The Devil's Rejects tho, which felt much more meandering and directionless than the former - like he wanted to make a sequel but didn't know why or what these characters should be doing that would require catching up with them again.

The carny tone of house is really fun on rewatches and the finale is so gonzo. I always liked Devils Rejects more but I'd probably put them closer in footing these days, both highly rewatchable though imo. It's funny because he basically does tcm 1 and tcm 2 in reverse, making the campy fun his first flick then going for the gritty serious horror second.

Lords is closer to Devils Rejects in tone but is a lot headier. It's also the role that made me believe Sherri can act.

I'm a dude, you're a dude, we're all dudes hey!

a new study bible! posted:

agreed Lords of Salem is his best by a mile.

Munsters good too

Munsters looks so cheap and the trailer turned me off the flick. He did rebuild the Munsters house and street though which is cool as hell. Gunna try to watch it before the end of the month.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Pretty sure the movie in question was the Snyder Cut, too

Which camp are the insane internet weirdos who won't leave the other alone again?

Ben doofus got fired for bullying his coworkers for liking the snyder cut which is such a huge lmao

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

MacheteZombie posted:

Ben doofus got fired for bullying his coworkers for liking the snyder cut which is such a huge lmao

If i have my discourses correct I think that makes him a martyr.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

projecthalaxy posted:

If i have my discourses correct I think that makes him a martyr.

Ah yes the failson martyr club

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

a new study bible! posted:

Munsters good too
I tried. I just couldn't vibe with it. Kudos to him for making a pitch-perfect 1960s B-movie because I enjoyed it about as much as the real deal.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

unlimited shrimp posted:

I tried. I just couldn't vibe with it. Kudos to him for making a pitch-perfect 1960s B-movie because I enjoyed it about as much as the real deal.

yeah I lasted ten minutes. very faithful adaptation. way too faithful

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Is Dragula at least in it because if not literally whats the point.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

https://twitter.com/HeadExposure/status/1584323045904199680

https://twitter.com/HeadExposure/status/1584323045904199680

These all look sick.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

unlimited shrimp posted:

that’s fair. I think it’s visually incredible but I also did fall asleep during it for like 10 mins

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

I thought Rob Zombie's Munsters was actually signficantly less watchable than the original.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

I found out that there is a documentary on the Dhofar rebellion on archive.org.

https://archive.org/details/504066399

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

sitchensis posted:

re-watched Poltergeist (1982). still slaps even after 40 years.

I miss movies that establish characters and families in a way that is empathetic and relatable. I totally forgot that the parents in Poltergeist smoke dope and laugh at silly little jokes with one another after putting the kids to bed, and they aren’t painted as delinquent freaks for doing so. the kids are also pretty great in the film — they aren’t precocious and wise, they act like kids — and do/say things that actual children would do.

Even Carol-Anne, the youngest, has her own personality that reflects what a six year old girl would be like. You can tell she’s kind of weird, but she’s weird in a little kid way, not a ‘wise beyond her years’ way.

spielberg’s touch is also all over the directing. the film really effectively moves from a feeling of wonderment about the haunting (the mom is so excited by it that she shows off Carol Anne being moved independently on the kitchen floor by the spirits to her husband) and pivots to outright terror/horror as things ratchet up (a steak coming to life and crawling on the counter…)

there was a good Reddit comment about this movie that said that it didn’t make you afraid of the spirits/terrors that infest the house, rather it made you afraid for the family because it so effectively sets up the dynamics of the Freelings in the first 1/4 of the film. I have to heartily agree with this. Horror without some kind of empathy with the characters is just a demo reel of effects. what do you all think?

I've been watching the good classic horror and I agree. The thing, alien, halloween 1, hellraiser, chucky or even the the first saw all make the characters the center of the story and the characters are less cardboard cutouts standing in for the problems of the times, and that's why they get franchised, and the franchises kill all that smart writing and become the slogs that "horror film" conjures up in non horror fan's heads