Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Can't wait for ios 17 to enable using widgets and the depth effect at the same time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Booo. Apple services getting price increases.

Apple Music
Individual: $10.99 per month (from $9.99)
Family: $16.99 per month (from $14.99)
Individual Annual: $109 per year (from $99)

Apple TV+
Monthly: $6.99 per month (from $4.99)
Annual: $69 per month (from $49.99)

Apple One
Individual: $16.95 per month (from $14.95)
Family: $22.95 per month (from $19.95)
Premier: $32.95 per month per year (from $29.95)

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Endless Mike posted:

How does dual SIMs work in practice? We're going to Italy next week and I intend to get a local data-only eSIM. I'll still be able to send and receive iMessages since it'll be over data, just not my US data, correct?

Italy data only plans are more expensive than data+voice unless you go for minuscule amounts. An iliad data+voice with hundreds of gigs cost as much as a 50g data only plan from TIM.
Anyway iMessage is data traffic as long as you don't have android friends in the group session but you will have to set the italian sim to be the sole provider of connectivity, there is a toggle to load balance traffic that must be kept off.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

Jose Oquendo posted:

Apple TV+
Monthly: $6.99 per month (from $4.99)
Annual: $69 per month (from $49.99)

How many people actually pay for their Apple TV subscription? I've ridden free trials and giveaways since it's debut and my latest is set to expire in a couple weeks and I'm just going to let it go until another T-Mobile Tuesday or something.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

GoatSeeGuy posted:

How many people actually pay for their Apple TV subscription? I've ridden free trials and giveaways since it's debut and my latest is set to expire in a couple weeks and I'm just going to let it go until another T-Mobile Tuesday or something.

I did for a while until I signed up for Apple One. It was only 5 bucks a month so it wasn't really worth taking the time out to get free trials or giveaways.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

GoatSeeGuy posted:

I signed up for a free trial from PlayStation which expires in January. I need to start watching some of the shows I have on my list because I signed up for the trial a few months ago and haven't watched anything with it lol

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

All the Apple OS updates just dropped and are rolling out now.

iOS 16.1
iPadOS 16.1
WatchOS 9.1
tvOS 16.1
MacOS 13 (Ventura)

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

xzzy posted:

That just makes me sad that we never got a second Propellerheads album.
On Her Majesty's Secret Service is still the best song on the album.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Jose Oquendo posted:

All the Apple OS updates just dropped and are rolling out now.

iOS 16.1
iPadOS 16.1
WatchOS 9.1
tvOS 16.1
MacOS 13 (Ventura)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BNA5udgAr4U

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

doingitwrong posted:

If she is getting 1.5 hours battery life on 85% health, replacing the battery might not especially matter.

What’s burning her battery according to battery activity? Is she playing games? Pokémon Go? Lots of video? Is it charging fully? 1.5 hours is very few hours.

The OS should not be killing the battery that fast.

See does play Roblox but apparently just doing other screen on activities like youtube or spotify or web browsing drains it. That and sometimes when it's down below 30% it may just shut-off on its own

I realize its a very old phone and a replacement isn't a guarantee to fix it, but I figure $50 is a fair gamble. Either that or buy some used SE off swappa

WhyteRyce fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Oct 24, 2022

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
It’s weird because my old battery at 83% health would do that occasionally but it would never trigger that flag in the battery health menu that says the phone is crashing.

Unless it actually wasn’t crashing and restarting itself because of the battery but because of something else? Who knows

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Inner Light posted:

iPhone 7 is an ancient device bordering on unsupported by Apple,

Good thing I’m rocking an iPhone 7 Plus, then :smuggo:

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
My phone bricked overnight and my alarm didn’t go off. I had to hard reset it. Never had that happen in over a decade of iPhone ownership…

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!
that’s a rite of passage, welcome to the club. we used to meet at the unemployment office but now all that poo poo is online.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

When do the price increases happen? I just bought $10 giftcards for some friends so they would watch some AppleTV+ shows. Figures that the price would increase before they could use them.

Man, I wish I could purchase some AppleTV+ shows to watch.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

My phone bricked overnight and my alarm didn’t go off. I had to hard reset it. Never had that happen in over a decade of iPhone ownership…

I'm not doing any morning critical stuff but I still decided to pick up an alternate alarm clock. This guy here has been great: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07FNC6N1L

Now I just make sure that thing is set, along with 1 iPhone alarm a few minutes before or after, and that's enough redundancy for me. I used to set like 5 phone alarms.

I go to bed late a lot and routinely don't get quite enough sleep (been struggling with this self-discipline for many years...), so I wouldn't wake up on time without an alarm.

VVV Looking for CA politics thread?

Inner Light fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Oct 24, 2022

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
For what it’s worth, I called the Secretary of State voter hotline to see if me (re)registering to vote this late in the game, after my outdated address ballot arrived, would be an issue. Lady on the phone said I should be getting an updated ballot with the new address and precinct in the mail soon.

If it doesn’t show up, I’d have to vote in person, which is something I’d prefer not to do at the end of a long workday.

Also find it really funny how hard Prop 27 tried to make itself related to homelessness instead of gambling.

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.

buglord posted:

For what it’s worth, I called the Secretary of State voter hotline to see if me (re)registering to vote this late in the game, after my outdated address ballot arrived, would be an issue. Lady on the phone said I should be getting an updated ballot with the new address and precinct in the mail soon.

If it doesn’t show up, I’d have to vote in person, which is something I’d prefer not to do at the end of a long workday.

Also find it really funny how hard Prop 27 tried to make itself related to homelessness instead of gambling.

Thank you for wandering by the iPhone thread with this information.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

it would be cool if you could register to vote from your iphone but it seems like the vibe these days is allowing as few people to vote as possible

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
iPhone thread tag looks a lot like the Los Angeles thread tag. I’m very tired

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

buglord posted:

iPhone thread tag looks a lot like the Los Angeles thread tag. I’m very tired

lol there’s a thread for LA?

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

MarcusSA posted:

lol there’s a thread for LA?

What you mean, there's a thread for most major metros. Chicagoons are a pretty big group and LA has more humans, so probably more goons.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=241

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Inner Light posted:

What you mean, there's a thread for most major metros. Chicagoons are a pretty big group and LA has more humans, so probably more goons.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=241

lol I rarely venture out of my bookmarks

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

xzzy posted:

That just makes me sad that we never got a second Propellerheads album.
There’s Spiesandbeatsandrarities which I think is a bootleg album or something? But yeah I agree 🙁

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Maybe I'm a big dumb-dumb, but what does Shared iCloud Photo Library do that a Shared Album didn't?

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
Different models of ownership. In a shared library, everyone has the ability to edit photos, favorite, etc which was not the case in shared album. You are co-owners of the photos. I also remember dimly that shared albums had lower resolution? Shared library shares the originals.

New hotness:

quote:

All participants have equal permissions to add, edit, and delete content in the Shared Library, while the person who set up the Shared Library, the library creator, provides iCloud storage for all of the content. Everyone else gets access to the Shared Library content without it counting towards their iCloud storage.
Vs old system

quote:

You can share photo and video albums with friends and family who use iCloud, and they can view shared albums in the Photos app. You decide if the people you share with can add photos or videos to the album or just comment on and like them.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
So the main difference between it and a shared album where you give people full permissions is just the ability to edit and delete photos and it not using up their own iCloud storage? They both feel like such similar features to me that it may as well have been rolled into just extra functionality for shared albums, since you could at least do it with multiple different groups of people in that case.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate
When you set it up you can pick time time frame and people whose pictures you send over also when you take pictures you can set the camera to automatically go to shared.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Question Mark Mound posted:

So the main difference between it and a shared album where you give people full permissions is just the ability to edit and delete photos and it not using up their own iCloud storage? They both feel like such similar features to me that it may as well have been rolled into just extra functionality for shared albums, since you could at least do it with multiple different groups of people in that case.

Shared Albums doesn't share full quality images and Shared Libraries do

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Tim, now that there's a Weather app on mac too, please make the icon just show the temp.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate
So I invited someone for iCloud shared library but they weren’t able to add photos from a time period and people like I did setting it up. It all has to be manual. Is there a way to not have it be manual?

Hdip
Aug 21, 2002
My iphone battery health finally says "service". It started turning off by itself today. iPhone X. Battery replacement is an option I guess. BUT it is also having issues with face ID that started today. Saying there is a face ID problem. Would that be related to battery issues? I obviously won't be replacing a battery if face ID will still be broken afterwards.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Hdip posted:

My iphone battery health finally says "service". It started turning off by itself today. iPhone X. Battery replacement is an option I guess. BUT it is also having issues with face ID that started today. Saying there is a face ID problem. Would that be related to battery issues? I obviously won't be replacing a battery if face ID will still be broken afterwards.

Unrelated. And not sure they’re repairing that if you did want it fixed, it’s all serial paired components.

I used to see one of the Face ID components fail on the original X all the time, usually the phone would boot loop. And the fix was either disconnect the cable (which also killed the ear speaker), or replace it, which got your speaker back but no Face ID.

Hdip
Aug 21, 2002

TVs Ian posted:

Unrelated. And not sure they’re repairing that if you did want it fixed, it’s all serial paired components.

I used to see one of the Face ID components fail on the original X all the time, usually the phone would boot loop. And the fix was either disconnect the cable (which also killed the ear speaker), or replace it, which got your speaker back but no Face ID.

OK. I setup a battery repair at Best Buy tomorrow, since none of the apple stores around me had appointment times. Is this something they could check before I go through with the repair? My phone was doing a restart all by itself today when the problem first happened. To bad, because I don't really have any issues with the phone besides that.

I just updated it and it appears to be doing OK right now on the charger. Battery still says service. Which it never said before today.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
https://www.theverge.com/2022/10/26/23423977/iphone-usb-c-eu-law-joswiak-confirms-compliance-lightning

There ya go , iphone will eventually be USB C. Probably the 15 next year.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

I played with the live activities thing last night using a sports app that supports it. It's pretty cool.

Typically for sports apps you'll get a new notification whenever something happens depending on your settings for that app and sports. That creates tons of notifications. With the live activity, it's one persistent thing that constantly refreshes based on however they make the app. I used it with a hockey game and it was constantly updating with every shot on goal, block, hit, everything. Really cool stuff.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Jose Oquendo posted:

I played with the live activities thing last night using a sports app that supports it. It's pretty cool.

Typically for sports apps you'll get a new notification whenever something happens depending on your settings for that app and sports. That creates tons of notifications. With the live activity, it's one persistent thing that constantly refreshes based on however they make the app. I used it with a hockey game and it was constantly updating with every shot on goal, block, hit, everything. Really cool stuff.

if i received a notification for literally every event in a hockey game i would shoot my own phone

give me like the big ones, goals and major penalties (double minors? 5 on 3s?) and someone getting carted off to the dressing room. i'm not micah you can tell me the corsi later.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Arivia posted:

if i received a notification for literally every event in a hockey game i would shoot my own phone

give me like the big ones, goals and major penalties (double minors? 5 on 3s?) and someone getting carted off to the dressing room. i'm not micah you can tell me the corsi later.

Jokes on you , I don’t get many notifications from my team (because the Flyers are really bad).

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Duckman2008 posted:

Jokes on you , I don’t get many notifications from my team (because the Flyers are really bad).

"gritty jiggle"
"gritty eats a hot dog"
"gritty murders a fascist"

micah should do plots of how cool gritty is

WE MAY WIN BUT I MAY DIE OF GRITTY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Arivia posted:

You're right but that's the cool thing about the live activity. It doesn't blow up your phone. It's just a tile sitting there refreshing. It's probably even better with the iPhone 14 since you don't even have to wake up the phone if you have the AOD turned on.