Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
what dlc is everyone looking forward to? i am excited for the currency DLC. it will add in a coin/bill designer with a dog icon as one of the options so crypto people can put in doge coin into the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010

Pylons posted:

The review embargo is up. Seems like largely positive scores.

Yeah seems very positive. OPB was talking about how much he loves the game on stream too, basically saying the underlying systems are amazing and all that's really missing is more polish. Specifically warfare can feel very good, but also can be a bit finnicky. And addressed some of the difficulty concerns by going well of course he can break it over his knee personally, but he knows many content creators who fail a lot and that he would challenge people to try to recreate his meme video legitimately. I'm so excited for tomorrow.

Snooze Cruise posted:

what dlc is everyone looking forward to? i am excited for the currency DLC. it will add in a coin/bill designer with a dog icon as one of the options so crypto people can put in doge coin into the game.

I want some kind of International Company/Organization DLC.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Watching the first Paradox tutorial video and they talk about nations having specific obsessions/taboos and the Chinese obsession is opium...

I understand what they are getting at but it seems at best ham fisted.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

Hellioning posted:

I think we should wait til the game is out before deciding if the new war system is good or bad.

you can say “this doesn’t sound fun” before buying a game. strange post.

(that said the war system in eu4 sucked a lot so new one seems good and leakers have told me it’s fine so)

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Popete posted:

Watching the first Paradox tutorial video and they talk about nations having specific obsessions/taboos and the Chinese obsession is opium...

I understand what they are getting at but it seems at best ham fisted.

It's a little more nuanced than 'China always loves opium'. This dev diary covers our opium wars content: https://www.paradoxinteractive.com/games/victoria-3/news/dev-diary-40-opium-wars

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Think I'm gonna try Johore first.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

AnEdgelord posted:

Personnally Im glad that the current war system takes the emphasis off 1000 apm sick plays and on the economy in the economy sim GSG. Even the big war in this era (WW1) was famously where maneuvering troops was pointless and it was all about trying to grind your enemies down with attrition and the strength of your economy determined how much attrition you could take.

i would imagine that ww1 is basically the primary reason that this war system was adopted, and it simply works well enough for most other wars for it to be the primary war system. v2 always had this weird tension between the start of the period, where eu4-like combat still sort of made sense, and the end of the period, where frontage was enormous and it makes no sense to represent an army as a point standing in one province. you can't have eu4 combat because of the end of the period, you can't really do hoi4 combat because of the start of the period, so v3 needed a mechanic that could straddle the line and represent both; that it ties so thoroughly into the economic sim is both a logical extension of v2 and thoroughly in line with the focus of the game

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

I am reserving judgement on warfare until I play it, like a sensible person. Indervidual army mashing makes sense for the early period of Vicky (late Napoleonic warfare is basically peak EU4 - bunch of allied stacks hanging around together then piling into a bloodbath) but is a terrible representation of WW1 and later conflicts. Some kind of frontal system has to be better for that, but how does it feel? I'll find out tomorrow!

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

I wonder if Pakistan is a formable tag

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Just starting this- it sounds like Wiz calls Americans Jankies, which seems like a very amusing overcompensation for the yump drive Stellaris stream.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

two sicilies challenge looking hype but a friend reminded me yesterday that pretty borders may be very difficult due to borders in Croatia. Little do they know that I simply plan to conquer all of Greater Greece. :smug: winning even before we play…

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

Eiba posted:

Just starting this- it sounds like Wiz calls Americans Jankies, which seems like a very amusing overcompensation for the yump drive Stellaris stream.

really did post a confused “yankees” before panickedly realizing the joke and erasing it lmao

Ardryn
Oct 27, 2007

Rolling around at the speed of sound.

Eiba posted:

To be fair, The US is nothing if not full of jank.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ardryn posted:

To be fair, The US is nothing if not full of jank.

Sir, have you see the Tsar’s logistics?

mst4k
Apr 18, 2003

budlitemolaram

Really hope I can reform Gran Columbia and become an arms manufacturing powerhouse

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Wiz posted:

It's a little more nuanced than 'China always loves opium'. This dev diary covers our opium wars content: https://www.paradoxinteractive.com/games/victoria-3/news/dev-diary-40-opium-wars

Ah I see I'm interested to see how that plays out in the events.

The guy narrating the video just mentioned it as an example in a weird way like "isn't this funny"? Hopefully the game handles it better than that.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

SnoochtotheNooch posted:

I explain an idea that I think would help the current system, one where armies exist on the map. By this I would mean like 120k troops assigned to a general, in lower egypt and 20k are represented in a eastern province, 20k in a central province, and 80k on a coastal province... Maybe my explanation sucks because I'm posting at work lol.

The current implementation looks incomplete graphically, and it seems incomplete conceptually imo, idk how fun it will be to assign a general to an area and click a checkbox to select production method. That seems very barebones. I mean, surely its not a point of contention that paradox is going to change the war system in a dlc? That seems obvious.

Second statement, I would say giving the player some kind of control over how each general uses those stacks, beyond production method, like, prioritizing a province with a lot of pops or industry.

That’s…essentially the front system? You assign generals who command different amounts of troops to each front, assigning better generals with more troops to whichever front you consider a priority? The only real difference between what exists and what you suggest is essentially one of granularity since fronts are pretty wide compared to provinces, but if you get to the point where you’re manually assigning troops to provinces you’ll basically end up with the worst of both worlds, with the annoying micro of the old system married to the lack of fine movement control of the new. Unless you’re arguing that the generals should automatically assign troops to provinces, but I’m not sure what real purpose that serves over the existing system of battle generation given that all it would do is cause players used to the old system to froth in rage as they see the AI doing things they wouldn’t - see eg the reaction to almost all Paradox automation to date.

The idea of changing the war system via DLC being “obvious” is just plain bizarre to me. It really isn’t, certainly not to me? It really feels like there’s some very different prior assumptions at play here causing a bunch of arguing at right angles.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
Acoup has his first impression of the game out, in case you like words:
https://acoup.blog/2022/10/24/misce...rst-impressions

Game is good according to him.

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010
I mean I think they'll work on and improve the war system over time. I don't know if there'll be a war DLC, but I feel like getting on map visuals for the troops has to be on the roadmap somewhere so that they can sell nation specific troop graphics as dlc like the other games.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
i hope in the paradox game after this one they make a big show of war mechanics being more present and then they reveal that the new system is a slay the spire style card battler

SnoochtotheNooch
Sep 22, 2012

This is what you get. For falling in Love

Tomn posted:

That’s…essentially the front system? You assign generals who command different amounts of troops to each front, assigning better generals with more troops to whichever front you consider a priority? The only real difference between what exists and what you suggest is essentially one of granularity since fronts are pretty wide compared to provinces, but if you get to the point where you’re manually assigning troops to provinces you’ll basically end up with the worst of both worlds, with the annoying micro of the old system married to the lack of fine movement control of the new. Unless you’re arguing that the generals should automatically assign troops to provinces, but I’m not sure what real purpose that serves over the existing system of battle generation given that all it would do is cause players used to the old system to froth in rage as they see the AI doing things they wouldn’t - see eg the reaction to almost all Paradox automation to date.

The idea of changing the war system via DLC being “obvious” is just plain bizarre to me. It really isn’t, certainly not to me? It really feels like there’s some very different prior assumptions at play here causing a bunch of arguing at right angles.

Look I’m not saying I want granular control of sprites. Imagine hoi4 but you’re not clicking on sprites, and still assigning armies to player or ai drawn battle plans, assigning the concentration of where your troops are on the front….. I’m also not saying I’ve got all the answers, but I think some compromise is definitely possible.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

SnoochtotheNooch posted:

Look I’m not saying I want granular control of sprites. Imagine hoi4 but you’re not clicking on sprites, and still assigning armies to player or ai drawn battle plans, assigning the concentration of where your troops are on the front….. I’m also not saying I’ve got all the answers, but I think some compromise is definitely possible.

The only thing that I think the system clearly requires is some way to manually split fronts because the current system of "front = border" will obviously produce some very very silly results. But I can understand why they've held off from doing that in the initial release.

Dayton Sports Bar
Oct 31, 2019
I mean, there definitely seems to be room to expand on warfare in the future. Be it via additional orders besides “push” and “don’t push”, or maybe letting you optionally set strategic targets.

Like for instance, I remember someone pointing out earlier in the thread that there’s not enough granularity in the current system to replicate a lot of the big-picture strategic decisions in the American Civil War that people like Lincoln would be involved in.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

SnoochtotheNooch posted:

What, specifically, is a perceived benefit to this change from the current fronts and deployment model? To me, this sounds like "I want to be able to make decisions in the war, because I think I would do a better job than the computer." And given how most people can eventually win a game of HOI4, that's likely true. But why is the ability for the player to wring additional power out of the same amount of troops and equipment a benefit to the game?

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Jazerus posted:

i would imagine that ww1 is basically the primary reason that this war system was adopted, and it simply works well enough for most other wars for it to be the primary war system. v2 always had this weird tension between the start of the period, where eu4-like combat still sort of made sense, and the end of the period, where frontage was enormous and it makes no sense to represent an army as a point standing in one province. you can't have eu4 combat because of the end of the period, you can't really do hoi4 combat because of the start of the period, so v3 needed a mechanic that could straddle the line and represent both; that it ties so thoroughly into the economic sim is both a logical extension of v2 and thoroughly in line with the focus of the game

It worked fine in Vicky II, you just had fronts composed of division-esque armies because your population, your ability to mobilize them, and the combat mechanics themselves enabled a different disposition. It was one of the few unambiguous successes of that game, it happened to be let down by horrific UI.

The reason its different now is purely game design. V3 is supposedly about fighting internal politics and the domestic economy, less about manhandling the AI in wars.

Adding meaningless graphics to the war overlay is perfectly reasonable imo

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

mst4k posted:

Really hope I can reform Gran Columbia and become an arms manufacturing powerhouse

Considering Gran Colombia collapsed only 5 years before the game started, that should be fairly easy. You'd also making what is probably the world record of reforming a broken nation. :v:

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

It worked fine in Vicky II, you just had fronts composed of division-esque armies because your population, your ability to mobilize them, and the combat mechanics themselves enabled a different disposition. It was one of the few unambiguous successes of that game, it happened to be let down by horrific UI.

The reason its different now is purely game design. V3 is supposedly about fighting internal politics and the domestic economy, less about manhandling the AI in wars.

Adding meaningless graphics to the war overlay is perfectly reasonable imo

I always thought most of the warfare was alot of busy work in v2 like there was potential for interesting systems but they were either undeveloped or bugged like the battleplan editor.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

The battle plan editor in V2 was purely for communicating with teammates right? It didn't actually do anything?

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

It was for drawing penises on France

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

VostokProgram posted:

I wonder if Pakistan is a formable tag

Almost certainly.

I'm disappointed in the names of a lot of the formables. They should have mined real history for bizarre state entities instead of making Papal States -formed Italy the "Kingdom of Heaven". And the Austrians should NOT be forming the HRE, that's completely absurd

Lawman 0 posted:

I always thought most of the warfare was alot of busy work in v2 like there was potential for interesting systems but they were either undeveloped or bugged like the battleplan editor.

The UI is unspeakably bad, the war model is somewhat sophisticated and the best thing it does is make your warring shift in nature and strategy according to changing technological developments. For example, there's a stretch of time from 1870-1900 where defensive technology outstrips offensive tech, and it drives most modernized countries to go bully Africa and Asia instead of fighting their peers.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

VostokProgram posted:

The battle plan editor in V2 was purely for communicating with teammates right? It didn't actually do anything?

It was for crashing the game in MP

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Capfalcon posted:

But why is the ability for the player to wring additional power out of the same amount of troops and equipment a benefit to the game?

For some people, that's the appeal of a historical game like this. They want to have the fantasy of being the better commander who wins against all odds as the underdog. And there's nothing wrong with that. Other people, like myself, prefer to have the fantasy of creating a better economy and run a country to be more prosperous.

Because I'm a fan of the latter more than the former, I prefer to have battles won or lost by the strength of logistics and economy rather than by strategic prowess. This also has the advantage of allowing the AI to compete better in the military front, although it will inevitably still have some things that it will do worse than the player does, and the player will inevitably snowball their economy into the stratosphere.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Early reviews put it at 84% on Metacritic, which is higher than Stellaris and HoI4 but lower than EU4 and CK3. Game... good?

TwoQuestions
Aug 26, 2011

Mantis42 posted:

Early reviews put it at 84% on Metacritic, which is higher than Stellaris and HoI4 but lower than EU4 and CK3. Game... good?

Wargamers be malding, glad I preordered :)

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

Almost certainly.

I'm disappointed in the names of a lot of the formables. They should have mined real history for bizarre state entities instead of making Papal States -formed Italy the "Kingdom of Heaven". And the Austrians should NOT be forming the HRE, that's completely absurd

The UI is unspeakably bad, the war model is somewhat sophisticated and the best thing it does is make your warring shift in nature and strategy according to changing technological developments. For example, there's a stretch of time from 1870-1900 where defensive technology outstrips offensive tech, and it drives most modernized countries to go bully Africa and Asia instead of fighting their peers.

HRE isn't an actual tag in the game as far as I know. The meme stream was to form an "HRE like", there wasn't an actual tag for them to form.

Mantis42 posted:

There are only two reviews below 80 and one of them complains about how many moving parts the game has while at the same time talking about how much they hate that warfare was streamlined without a hint of irony. The other one seems to be marking it down solely because Paradox abandoned Imperator I guess?

Edit: Victoria is always going to be more of a niche than EU or CK so I'll take those scores as really good anyway tbh. Imagine going back in time and telling fans that Vicky 3 was real, let alone that it was actually a good game. Unbelievable.

Zeron fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Oct 24, 2022

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

I'm extremely to excited to find brand new gamebreaking bugs this weekend imo.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

DO NOT:
+ type in the box
+ open the newspaper
+ user the battleplanner
+ join the game before the host says game is up

DO:
+ Close to desktop
+ delete your map cache
+ shut up when the host is speaking.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Game looks very good and fun. Can’t wait to start gardening tomorrow.

Congrats Wiz, Ofaloaf and any devs that browse/post here. Seems like you made a really cool game.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Anno posted:

Game looks very good and fun. Can’t wait to start gardening tomorrow.

Congrats Wiz, Ofaloaf and any devs that browse/post here. Seems like you made a really cool game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Snooze Cruise posted:

I want art and museums, give me a bunch of public domain jpgs of old paintings, and let me spend all my money financing expeditions to collect little 3D models of bronze-age statues that I can spin around in a nice catalogue menu.