Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Shooting Blanks posted:

Now I want to see someone fill a potato ricer with garlic cloves and press it, just to see how much you could get through in one pass.

Potato ricers don't generally have the raised points like a garlic press has to push the material through the holes. If you look at a garlic press when it's fully closed you'd find the holes are 'filled in' with the raised areas on the pressing part.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

hypnophant posted:

that’s fine for a few cloves, not a whole head
you can smush a bunch at once. I often do it with a whole head to confit 'em

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I saw a food video just yesterday where the chef put their whole body weight on a head of garlic. It’s a thing.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Smash and smear, that's the way to do it.

Shooting Blanks posted:

Now I want to see someone fill a potato ricer with garlic cloves and press it, just to see how much you could get through in one pass.

....sure, why not. I'll make some garlic bread this weekend. Expect photos later, but as has been noted, this is my potato press:

And it don't gently caress around. The problem was finding an ice cream that would freeze hard enough to retain its shape after being turned into spaghettieis.

VelociBacon posted:

Potato ricers don't generally have the raised points like a garlic press has to push the material through the holes. If you look at a garlic press when it's fully closed you'd find the holes are 'filled in' with the raised areas on the pressing part.

Meh, as if that ever stopped anyone.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

The small-hole side of a box grater is great for shredding garlic. Much faster than a microplane, almost the exact same results as a garlic press, not a single-use tool.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Con: hard to pick the shredded finger out of the garlic

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Smash and smear, that's the way to do it.

I watched Jacques Pepin do this and it brought tears to my eyes but goddamn if I can figure it out.

SwissArmyDruid posted:

....sure, why not. I'll make some garlic bread this weekend. Expect photos later, but as has been noted, this is my potato press:

thanks for reposting this... I've been having the same potato problems the other poster mentioned and I just bought one of these off eBay.

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

barkbell posted:

Looking to buy a super expensive rice cooker. Aways had zojirushis in the pst and they some really crazy new mode that came out this year that i am looking at. But then i saw cuckoo brand and their higher end ones have pressure cooking alongside them? These seem like they could replace a separate pressure cooker while hitting higher pressure too. The only thing they lack is a searing or sauteing function, which is fine. Theres very little information on them, in english at least. Does anyone have experience with these?

A bit of a throwback here, but I can absolutely vouch for Cuckoo -- not only do we love the one we got as a wedding gift, I have a bit of neighborhood pride, as their primary US facility is the next block over. Keeps rice warm and fresh for days, too, which is nice.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Has anyone tried proofing bread in the anova set at like 80 degrees and 100% humidity? I usually proof in a proofing bag but I tried just doing it in the Anova and I got zero oven spring when I baked the bread so it seems like maybe it didn't work and the surface of the bread dried out but I'm not 100% sure because it was a sandwich bread recipe I don't make that much so I'm not sure if I normally get any oven spring.

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

Thanks for the Breville Smart Oven recommendation. I upgraded from an ancient black and decker with dial timers. I’ve baked cornbread and cakes. Roasted all sorts of stuff. Most recently I tried some “air fried” chicken, which ruled. I kind if cant believe how good it toasts. Buns, bagels and bread slices all get a good toast, heated through without drying out. Good stuff.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
So, what do you do when you wake up at 5 AM and can't go to sleep? Make garlic bread, of course.

Normally my method would to confit garlic in butter and then mash, but we're testing the ability of the spaetzelpress to crush garlic.

So in it went. Results were... mixed.

It acted as a juicer. All of the garlic juice went through with the butter, leaving the pulp behind. So I had very strongly-garlic-scented butter, but all of the solids left behind.

I pulled the rest out, and gave it a good chop-and-scrape.

Conclusion: Spaetzel press sucks for mincing garlic, BUT spaetzel press EXCELS at softening fridge-cold butter directly into the consistency needed to knead into compound butter in a single step, without waiting for it to come to temperature. Also, I am getting real loving tired of people using my herbs and spices and not telling me. It happened with my chili flakes when I was making aglio e olio the other night, and now this. Could have used a bit of parsley for color. Also, holy god, I am almost done with this stupid can of parm. Cannot wait until I can go back to using the real deal instead of this cellulose-caked-up poo poo.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

SwissArmyDruid posted:

So, what do you do when you wake up at 5 AM and can't go to sleep? Make garlic bread, of course.

Normally my method would to confit garlic in butter and then mash, but we're testing the ability of the spaetzelpress to crush garlic.

So in it went. Results were... mixed.

It acted as a juicer. All of the garlic juice went through with the butter, leaving the pulp behind. So I had very strongly-garlic-scented butter, but all of the solids left behind.

I pulled the rest out, and gave it a good chop-and-scrape.

Conclusion: Spaetzel press sucks for mincing garlic, BUT spaetzel press EXCELS at softening fridge-cold butter directly into the consistency needed to knead into compound butter in a single step, without waiting for it to come to temperature. Also, I am getting real loving tired of people using my herbs and spices and not telling me. It happened with my chili flakes when I was making aglio e olio the other night, and now this. Could have used a bit of parsley for color. Also, holy god, I am almost done with this stupid can of parm. Cannot wait until I can go back to using the real deal instead of this cellulose-caked-up poo poo.

I think anything with fiber is the enemy of press grates

Bagheera
Oct 30, 2003

Fart Car '97 posted:

The small-hole side of a box grater is great for shredding garlic. Much faster than a microplane, almost the exact same results as a garlic press, not a single-use tool.

+++ Since I discovered that you can grate garlic to a fine paste with a cheese grater, my garlic press has sat uselessly in the drawer. With a cheese grater, you don't even need to peel the cloves. The paper gets caught on the grater's teeth and stays on the outside of the grater.

If you want consistently fine sliced garlic, as opposed to a paste...and you're *very* careful...you can slice it on a mandolin.

Bagheera
Oct 30, 2003
With cookware, are welded handles longer-lasting than riveted handles? It seems like they would be a little better, but I don't know if they'd last for years and years longer than rivets.

Also, what your thought on this stockpot from Webstaurant for home use? It's a 6.5 quart triple-ply (steel, aluminum, steel) with a lid for $33. That seems like a, well, steal.

I need an induction-ready stock pot that can handle a gallon or more of sauce. I make and freeze large amounts of marinara, salsa, ranchera, mac-and-cheese, etc. I need a large capacity pot where I can make a bunch of it. A consumer-grade triple-ply stock pot runs from about $70 well into the hundreds. At $33, this pot sounds like an incredible deal. What's the catch?

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Bagheera posted:

With cookware, are welded handles longer-lasting than riveted handles? It seems like they would be a little better, but I don't know if they'd last for years and years longer than rivets.

Also, what your thought on this stockpot from Webstaurant for home use? It's a 6.5 quart triple-ply (steel, aluminum, steel) with a lid for $33. That seems like a, well, steal.

I need an induction-ready stock pot that can handle a gallon or more of sauce. I make and freeze large amounts of marinara, salsa, ranchera, mac-and-cheese, etc. I need a large capacity pot where I can make a bunch of it. A consumer-grade triple-ply stock pot runs from about $70 well into the hundreds. At $33, this pot sounds like an incredible deal. What's the catch?

The reason that pot's so cheap is because it's not tri-ply - based on the description, it just has a tri-ply disc bonded to the bottom like any other cheapo pot. Sadly, full tri-ply construction is gonna cost you for the real thing no matter what.

mystes
May 31, 2006

It's just not fully clad

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I don’t think tri ply is a big deal for as stock pot. This isn’t the kind of thing where you’re worried about evenly searing a steak or something. You’re heating water + other stuff (and any searing you do before adding water doesn’t need to be as uniform). I see nothing wrong with a cheap stock pot.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Bagheera posted:

Rivets are stronger than welds, generally, although you really shouldn’t be able to break either one on a pan at home without some mechanical or thermal assistance.

For a big stockpot, I don’t think it matters too much whether the sides are tri-ply or not, they’re not doing very much work conducting heat in any case. for a large batch of sauce, the increased heat capacity of tri-ply walls is minuscule compared to the thermal mass of your food.

mystes
May 31, 2006

I have what is I guess the 20qt version of that stockpot and it's fine. As other people have said it doesn't really matter for a stock pot.

That said, webstaurant's shipping is expensive, so if you're really looking at the 6.5qt version since that what the link appears to go to, if once you factor in shipping, if you're willing to wait you might be able to get a deal on a fully clad one, like a tramontina one from amazon warehouse or something, for a similar price.

mystes fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Oct 24, 2022

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I don’t think tri ply is a big deal for as stock pot. This isn’t the kind of thing where you’re worried about evenly searing a steak or something. You’re heating water + other stuff (and any searing you do before adding water doesn’t need to be as uniform). I see nothing wrong with a cheap stock pot.

Agreed, and I should have mentioned this as well. My own enormous stock pot is made entirely of stainless steel (no bottom disc) that's so thin I could probably crush it with my hands and it works just fine.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

Bagheera posted:

If you want consistently fine sliced garlic, as opposed to a paste...and you're *very* careful...you can slice it on a mandolin.

The best system is to use a razor blade to slice it so thin it liquefies in the pain with just a little oil. It’s a very good system.

Bagheera
Oct 30, 2003

mystes posted:

I have what is I guess the 20qt version of that stockpot and it's fine. As other people have said it doesn't really matter for a stock pot.

That said, webstaurant's shipping is expensive, so if you're really looking at the 6.5qt version since that what the link appears to go to, if once you factor in shipping, if you're willing to wait you might be able to get a deal on a fully clad one, like a tramontina one from amazon warehouse or something, for a similar price.

I forgot to mention that I have their $99/month free shipping membership for my business. I occasionally buy things for personal use and just have them shipped to my business address.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Bagheera posted:

I forgot to mention that I have their $99/month free shipping membership for my business. I occasionally buy things for personal use and just have them shipped to my business address.
I'm jealous lol

esperantinc
May 5, 2003

JERRY! HELLO!

Phil Moscowitz posted:

The best system is to use a razor blade to slice it so thin it liquefies in the pain with just a little oil. It’s a very good system.

Just don't put too many onions in the sauce!

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

esperantinc posted:

Just don't put too many onions in the sauce!

I didn’t put too much onions. Three small onions, that’s all I did.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Bagheera posted:

+++ Since I discovered that you can grate garlic to a fine paste with a cheese grater, my garlic press has sat uselessly in the drawer. With a cheese grater, you don't even need to peel the cloves. The paper gets caught on the grater's teeth and stays on the outside of the grater.

Man, I forgot that I lost my mandolin when I moved. Anyone got recommendations on a good one?

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Borsche69 posted:

Man, I forgot that I lost my mandolin when I moved. Anyone got recommendations on a good one?

Benriner, and a pair of cut-resistant gloves.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Borsche69 posted:

Bron Mandoline - Most expensive manual. Really adjustable, all metal, can do pretty much any cut you want. Has a hand guard that works.

Benriner Super - Still expensive, but not as bad as Bron. Could also go for the smaller models if you don't need the Super's width. Much simpler to use and clean up. But more limited in the cuts it can do, really meant for finer cuts. Also needs a cut glove cause the hand guard sucks.

Food Processor w/ slicing discs - Harness the power of electricity.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

.Z. posted:

Bron Mandoline - Most expensive manual.

That’s what I thought too until that big show off FGR showed his Shun mandolin

I like my bron a lot but after using it for 10 years I kinda wish high end mandolins used a diagonal blade. I’m wiggling my tomatoes against the straight blade a lot

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Steve Yun posted:

Shun mandolin

quote:

suggested retail price is $507 MSRP, with a sale price of $399.95

:stare:

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I used to have one of those. Didn’t get it in the divorce though. It was nice.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I used to have one of those. Didn’t get it in the divorce though. It was nice.

Stay together for the mandolin.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
What do these mandolines have that an inexpensive Benriner don't?

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

Maybe they're bathed in blood at the factory to slake their thirst for a little longer?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Build quality mainly. It was all stainless steel and wood. The blade wasn't a sort of razor like cheaper ones it was a single bevel removable blade that you could theoretically resharpen pretty easily (I never did, hence theoretically). It wasn't perfect, the thickness control was fiddly, but it was a heavy duty piece of equipment that worked really well. Very similar in function to the Bron, just not as noisy. The benrinner feels disposable in comparison.

I don't use a mandolin much these days, but my primary is a Benrinner and it's fine. But it's not nearly as nice as using the Shun (or Bron).

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
The benriner doesnt feel sturdy but that's kind of to its credit - I like the handle setup better than the standing mandoline thing and its low weight feels cheap but works well. My only complaint about it is it's not clear when the two sides are level (my fault for buying the super, though it looks like the new models fixed this? I bought mine 10 years ago).

No Wave fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Oct 24, 2022

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

SwissArmyDruid posted:

What do these mandolines have that an inexpensive Benriner don't?

A stand so you can shak shak at full speed (a Ben timer over a bowl is less stable and you’re limited to what size bowl you’re using if you’re doing 20 potatoes)

Customizable thickness

Waffle cuts

That said I like the diagonal blade on most small mandos and the fact that you can replace/remove/sharpen the blades. On a bron it’s fixed and all it takes is a couple pumpkin stems to ruin it

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

No Wave posted:

The benriner doesnt feel sturdy but that's kind of to its credit - I like the handle setup better than the standing mandoline thing and its low weight feels cheap but works well. My only complaint about it is it's not clear when the two sides are level (my fault for buying the super, though it looks like the new models fixed this?).

I would like more explanation on what this problem is because I was thinking about getting the super

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

My 10 year old cuisinart just died. I’m crying about it because it’s one of the last food processors with no safety features. Anyone know of one that doesn’t have annoying chute safety features?

Esit: nevermind it turned on again. Not sure what happened

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Did you overheat it? Those things tend to have thermal switches to prevent you burning out the motor.