Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
They should do the RE1make thing of playing with player expectations, and have Leon lose his pants at some point and call Ashley a pervert for looking at his butt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

A Buttery Pastry posted:

They should do the RE1make thing of playing with player expectations, and have Leon lose his pants at some point and call Ashley a pervert for looking at his butt.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
as long as the tuxedo and suit of armour are still unlockable

KonvexKonkav
Mar 5, 2014

Bad Seafood posted:

Capcom takes a page out of Taro Yoko's playbook and adds an achievement for it so we can scientifically ascertain the depths completionists are willing to sink to.

lol if you didn't get that achievement automatically

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

https://twitter.com/RECodeVeronicaR/status/1583686970584100864?t=aDimZy4_vhpohapUu6QW7g&s=19

I'll give it a go tomorrow when I get home, it looks cool

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
is this a real thing or a virus attached to some screenshots

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
How could they :argh:

https://twitter.com/TheChowderhead/status/1583929412222754817

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

KonvexKonkav posted:

lol if you didn't get that achievement automatically

I somehow got that achievement in one of the space station sections - you know, the parts where you have no control over the camera and it’s a side scroller - but no one believes me. You won’t either.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

"Is Ada Wong Asian" - the greatest thread in the history of forums, locked by a moderator after 12,239 pages of heated debate,

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

lmao

Hector Delgado
Sep 23, 2007

Time for shore leave!!
First the dog, now this. Just incredible

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp
Since the original RE4 is on sale for $5 on Steam, I decided to pick it up and try it out with the HD texture pack. And after playing through most of the village today, I gotta say: It might be old enough to vote now, but the motherfucker still holds up.

I mean, sure, it's still very much a game developed for the GameCube and released in 2004. The texture pack does a lot, but it still looks extremely outdated compared to modern or even semi-modern games. The controls are clunky and not always intuitive. There's quicktime events out the wazoo. There's a lot of bad dialogue and the plot is filled with gaping holes (Saddler, why didn't you let them go as soon as you injected them with Plagas? Wasn't that your plan? Why do you keep sending wave after wave of your own men to get mowed down by Leon to prevent him from doing the thing you want him to do??? :psyduck:) And the outdoor environments are stuck firmly in the "real is brown" era of mid-2000s game design.

But even with all that, man I still love playing this game. While clunky, there's a certain amount of snappiness to the controls that I appreciate, pirouetting Leon around like the world's laziest ballroom dancer while being pursued by ganados. I love the absolutely huge variety in weapons, and how while there is a clear progression, the unique characteristics and final upgrades means there's (usually) a legitimate reason to stick with certain weapons (A system that RE8 tried to bring back but bungled). I love how the Ganado use simple but effective tactics, punishing players for standing still or for taking too long to line up the perfect headshot. I love the huge amount of stuff in the game, with all kinds of secrets and mysteries, but yet not so overstuffed that it becomes a chore to explore and play through (well except for the island maybe, that does overstay its welcome a bit). I love how wacky, insane, and expressive the characters are, from Leon's terrible one-liners to Saddler's endless scene-chewing. And I love the moments of genuine panic and terror the game brings, whether it's being low on ammo and trying to outmaneuver a horde of ganados at night with fire blazing and lightning crackling in the background, or the creepy shuffling of a regenerator as it stumbles towards you, taking shot after shot.

It's such a good game. And while I'm still looking forward to the remake, I don't think this is the last time I'll play the original. It's just that drat good.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
I like how when asked about the remake Shinji Mikami said he hopes they fix the plot because he wrote the script in two weeks :allears:

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

I'm glad the RE 4 Tweaks mod has an option to disable QTEs. Now I just need a similar mod for RE5 and one of my biggest grievances with 4/5/6 is fixed. Might be hard to implement due to the co-op for 5 though, but if 6 allows you to auto pass QTEs via a menu option and that's co-op as well then it shouldn't be impossible.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

I like how when asked about the remake Shinji Mikami said he hopes they fix the plot because he wrote the script in two weeks :allears:

I had no idea about this.
https://www.newsweek.com/shinji-mik...0than%20Mikami.

quote:

Mikami isn't so fond of the trashy writing though. He continued: "The game itself is close to perfect, but we only had two and a half weeks to make that story and so I have a different view. There just wasn't enough time to make it good and the people I wanted to work on it declined because of that restriction."

So it seems like RE4 being as good as it was is almost an accident. It reminds me how Final Fantasy X was going to have a totally different battle system but tech limitations made them change their mind. And then FFX ended up with one of the most beloved battle systems in all of JRPGs.

Mr. Fortitude posted:

I'm glad the RE 4 Tweaks mod has an option to disable QTEs. Now I just need a similar mod for RE5 and one of my biggest grievances with 4/5/6 is fixed. Might be hard to implement due to the co-op for 5 though, but if 6 allows you to auto pass QTEs via a menu option and that's co-op as well then it shouldn't be impossible.

I remember as a kid we all had trouble with the Krauser knife fight, but I've never seen anyone struggle in LPs. I don't think any of the QTEs are particularly hard at all.
If you don't like them and want them gone, that's fine. I just remember thinking how impossible Krauser was on the GCN but then everyone I've ever seen play the game does this poo poo with ease.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

DLC Inc posted:

I'm really curious about the direction the RE teams take after RE4make/Village DLC. With no Veronica remake plans and Village taking a huge 12+ year timeskip, the series is really going to be in a completely foreign place. Not worried about where it goes given how excellent the remakes/ 7 and 8 are, just really will be interesting to see exactly where it goes after Village presumably tied up the megamycete mold storyline and, in general, a lot of the series (given the connections Miranda had with Ozwell.)

Maybe after 12 years Chris will have finally gotten off the HGH and went to a good leadership school to not let civilians do your whole mission for you.

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER
LIVE AT MONSTER TRUCK JAM 2KXX

RE:Verse early access is up.

Complete garbage. How do you go DOWN from Umbrella Chronicles?

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Ughhh

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Hector Delgado posted:

First the dog, now this. Just incredible

Dog is a fakeout

Elden Lord Godfrey
Mar 4, 2022
I'm playing RE4 for the first loving time and there are some goofy rear end scenarios in the castle. Like are they going to keep that section where Leon runs off, alone, to a section filled with lava and ganados riding fire breathing metal dragons (Yes ofc)

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

Elden Lord Godfrey posted:

I'm playing RE4 for the first loving time and there are some goofy rear end scenarios in the castle. Like are they going to keep that section where Leon runs off, alone, to a section filled with lava and ganados riding fire breathing metal dragons (Yes ofc)

Yes

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Word is if you don't save the dog in the remake Capcom bans your account from buying Haunting Grounds remake

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Leave me to do my dark bidding on the internet!
Got the og RE1 randomiser working last night. Think the REmake randomiser has spoiled me something fierce with its ability to mix up doors, items, and enemies, because I ran into the same problem I had with the og RE2 randomiser - everything feels like it's been randomised in sections so lab stuff is only in the lab, guardhouse stuff is only in the guardhouse etc. It's still a very formulaic run and didn't satisfy my appetite.

Also for some reason, probably to up the challenge factor, ammo drops are extremely stingy. I know there's more ammo than you need in a standard RE run but the drops were 1-2 shotgun shells at a time, or 1 grenade launcher round. Maybe I can fiddle with the numbers to make them more reasonable but it left a sour taste in my mouth. Eventually just broke out Jills infinite sub-machinegun until I got trapped in a corner by two Hunters and GG.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

Barudak posted:

Word is if you don't save the dog in the remake Capcom bans your account from buying Haunting Grounds remake
Thinking back to Psycho Mantis from Metal Gear Solid, I wonder if that's possible.

Haunting Grounds reads your save file, and if you let the dog die, they don't show up.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Bad Seafood posted:

Haunting Grounds reads your save file, and if you let the dog die, they don't show up.

Game over in 30 seconds

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

OxMan posted:

RE:Verse early access is up.

Complete garbage. How do you go DOWN from Umbrella Chronicles?

I hope you mean Umbrella Corps because the Chronicles games were really fun.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Umbrella Corps was a pretty fun game that capcom shot the legs off of with the stupidest DLC of its year

Barudak fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Oct 24, 2022

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
any previews on the upcoming re8 gold expansion? i'll prob cop it anyways but 8's mercs mode was trash and the third person mode is kinda whatever so im hoping the rose scenario is really good

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8sl0v2lfATg

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

DeadButDelicious posted:

Got the og RE1 randomiser working last night. Think the REmake randomiser has spoiled me something fierce with its ability to mix up doors, items, and enemies, because I ran into the same problem I had with the og RE2 randomiser - everything feels like it's been randomised in sections so lab stuff is only in the lab, guardhouse stuff is only in the guardhouse etc. It's still a very formulaic run and didn't satisfy my appetite.
Unfortunately this segmented approach is a necessity due to how the game is built; the Mansion at the start is not the same Mansion as when you return from the Guardhouse -- try using the Helmet Key on any of the appropriate doors before you're supposed to have it (i.e. before Plant 42 is dead), and the whole thing crashes spectacularly once you open said door, because at such an early stage of the game there's no relevant file to load the required room.

Now this could be fudged around a bit with later versions since you can run back and forth between Mansion1 and Guardhouse without issue (until Plant 42 is dead anyway), so there's a possibility to scatter the items a bit more, but on the downside this would certainly result in a load of running between empty locations just to grab a couple of one-use puzzle items.

RE2 on the other hand has a few points-of-no-return (and one instance where Claire can softlock the game if you haven't met Sherry), so everything again has to be segmented and organised in such a way with the randomisation. Scenario B just complicates this further with T-103 and his scripted appearances, although I very much doubt that he would be carrying vital key items.

DeadButDelicious posted:

Also for some reason, probably to up the challenge factor, ammo drops are extremely stingy. I know there's more ammo than you need in a standard RE run but the drops were 1-2 shotgun shells at a time, or 1 grenade launcher round. Maybe I can fiddle with the numbers to make them more reasonable but it left a sour taste in my mouth. Eventually just broke out Jills infinite sub-machinegun until I got trapped in a corner by two Hunters and GG.
Or sometimes the game just says "gently caress you" and throws a boss your way ASAP.
https://i.imgur.com/ItCIzMz.mp4
:buddy:

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Honest Thief posted:

any previews on the upcoming re8 gold expansion? i'll prob cop it anyways but 8's mercs mode was trash and the third person mode is kinda whatever so im hoping the rose scenario is really good

My review just went live.

Shadows of Rose is short, and relies heavily on recycled models, but has a couple of really intense sequences that are well worth checking out. It's a nice little epilogue to Village.

The new characters in Mercenaries are also way more entertaining than Ethan, since they don't have to rebuild their arsenal between maps. You do have to unlock Heisenberg and Dimitrescu, but the conditions aren't particularly hard to reach, particularly with Chris. You can spend most of his starting money on handgun upgrades, take Pistol Master and/or Break Shot, and kill most of the enemies in Mercs with a quick double-tap to the dome.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Wanderer posted:

Shadows of Rose is short, and relies heavily on recycled models, but has a couple of really intense sequences that are well worth checking out. It's a nice little epilogue to Village.

That sounds about on par with what I thought based on the headlines today. I was hoping for something meatier, but oh well. I'm thinking I'll just play through the main game in third-person first just so I don't blow through the new material too soon.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

so i gave this a shot, and while i still think the idea of trying to create this whole narrative thing is kinda neat, it's just really fuckin bad lol. might be worth it if you have a half hour to kill for a laugh tho

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Leave me to do my dark bidding on the internet!

ZogrimAteMyHamster posted:

Unfortunately this segmented approach is a necessity due to how the game is built; the Mansion at the start is not the same Mansion as when you return from the Guardhouse -- try using the Helmet Key on any of the appropriate doors before you're supposed to have it (i.e. before Plant 42 is dead), and the whole thing crashes spectacularly once you open said door, because at such an early stage of the game there's no relevant file to load the required room.

Now this could be fudged around a bit with later versions since you can run back and forth between Mansion1 and Guardhouse without issue (until Plant 42 is dead anyway), so there's a possibility to scatter the items a bit more, but on the downside this would certainly result in a load of running between empty locations just to grab a couple of one-use puzzle items.

RE2 on the other hand has a few points-of-no-return (and one instance where Claire can softlock the game if you haven't met Sherry), so everything again has to be segmented and organised in such a way with the randomisation. Scenario B just complicates this further with T-103 and his scripted appearances, although I very much doubt that he would be carrying vital key items.

Or sometimes the game just says "gently caress you" and throws a boss your way ASAP.
https://i.imgur.com/ItCIzMz.mp4
:buddy:

Hey, thanks for explaining this, I had no idea that was actually how the RE1 mansion worked having never fiddled around with the debug menu at all, but that explains a lot. I can be more sympathetic towards the randomiser now and might give it another shot if I can fiddle with the numbers to make the ammo drops somewhat palatable.

Also lol that looks like the exact seed I got last night, except for me Yawn was curled up in the corner right by the stairwell so I just went all the way around the mansion to get upstairs :buddy:

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

Wanderer posted:

The new characters in Mercenaries are also way more entertaining than Ethan, since they don't have to rebuild their arsenal between maps. You do have to unlock Heisenberg and Dimitrescu, but the conditions aren't particularly hard to reach, particularly with Chris. You can spend most of his starting money on handgun upgrades, take Pistol Master and/or Break Shot, and kill most of the enemies in Mercs with a quick double-tap to the dome.

oh hmm, might wait on a promo then
I just dont like the way mercs was designed in village, so while the new characters sound fun im not ready to drop money for it

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Imagine not saving during a randomiser run.

https://i.imgur.com/k2oFKWl.mp4

:laffo:

Edit:
Oh gently caress you game:
https://i.imgur.com/zkgUSdB.mp4

Taking a slap during a cutscene :thumbsup:

ZogrimAteMyHamster fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Oct 24, 2022

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Never enter a bathroom without knocking. That's on you.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

The Steam "discussions" for RE4's remake are a sight to behold.

Crowetron posted:

Never enter a bathroom without knocking. That's on you.

He heard the first door, why didn't he lock the second? Huh? WHY DIDN'T HE LOCK THE SECOND ONE?

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Maybe he did but that meant nothing to the Master of Unlocking

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Shiroc posted:

Maybe he did but that meant nothing to the Master of Unlocking

Well, you got me there.