Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

do top-down dungeon crawlers count

The game takes place in a direct representation of a navigable space. The game involves little to no political strategy. Rebel/rebel, radical map game anarchy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Is Spirit Island a map game

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

truly spirit island is a map game where you play as the map

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

idk but it looks pretty cool

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
i played spirit island yesterday and someone played the card where you stick an extra map piece to the board mid-game which was pretty fun

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Arzaac posted:

especially if you're playing Serpent Slumbering Beneath the Island (one of my personal favorites)

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
That's only if you're playing one of the spirits that is explicitly part of the island though, like Volcano Looming High who is just a volcano, or Serpent Slumbering Beneath the Island whose coiled up resting body makes up the island itself

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Relax Or DIE posted:

i played spirit island yesterday and someone played the card where you stick an extra map piece to the board mid-game which was pretty fun

one time i won by shoving all the invaders onto one portion of the island and then playing the card that destroys a segment of the island in a tsunami (sorry natives)

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

I said come in! posted:

Go with a local shop or ebay. But it might actually be better to get a Switch, all you're missing is Twilight Princess, and Wind Waker on that. The eshop for Wii U has shut down too leaving you with just physical copies of games and those are going to be ultra expensive now.

Those are the exact games that he is desperately trying to play! He has everything else covered between the Switch and the 3DS. I'm even scouting for an original (just cartridge) copy of Link to the Past that he can put in my original SNES.

I'll scout around local shops and find something. It'll be less than ideal and not the most cost efficient, but that's not the biggest deal provided they're not outrageously expensive.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Relax Or DIE posted:

There's another card that can just say gently caress it and take away an entire map piece.

That means it is possible in 1 player games to just say "gently caress it" and sink the whole island for a pyrrhic victory.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

My favorite is when you get that card as Bringer of Dreams and Nightmares, so that a huge chunk of the island has a dream where they all sunk into the sea, causing mass hysteria

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

karmicknight posted:

sparkling grand strategy.

Please don't leak the next Square Enix title like this

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

TraderStav posted:

Those are the exact games that he is desperately trying to play! He has everything else covered between the Switch and the 3DS. I'm even scouting for an original (just cartridge) copy of Link to the Past that he can put in my original SNES.

I'll scout around local shops and find something. It'll be less than ideal and not the most cost efficient, but that's not the biggest deal provided they're not outrageously expensive.

plain old Wii consoles are very cheap and can play the non-HD versions of both games. Zelda games usually cost a premium if you want them physical though, so be aware of that I guess.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Townseek is def a map game, but it doesn’t come out on Steam until 2023

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

TraderStav posted:

Also keep an eye on SA-Mart, they show up there sometimes too.

There is also this thread for Gamecubes https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=4009571&perpage=40&pagenumber=1#pti13

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

I said come in! posted:

With the Wii U, you have to redo the softmod each time you boot up the system. No one really put much effort into the Wii U since so few people bought the system.

If I recall, modding the Wii portion (which is all you'd need to do for Nintendont) is similar to modding an actual Wii with a couple extra steps and I only had to do it once. I never did any mods to the Wii U portion myself beyond that.

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

lolling that ZombiU got a port to non-wiiu platforms and they just renamed it to Zombie

Zombi U was itself a remake of the first game Ubisoft ever published.

raditts fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Oct 24, 2022

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
modding a wii u is extremely easy and worthwhile, and for zelda you could play every game in the series up to twilight princess hd on one

I said come in! posted:

With the Wii U, you have to redo the softmod each time you boot up the system. No one really put much effort into the Wii U since so few people bought the system.

this is a matter of highlighting the softmod icon and pressing the a button. it's more trivial than putting a disc in the console. it's also not true anyway, the scene is still active and making improvements

i bought and modded a super slim ps3 last week and i would say homebrew for it is a way bigger pita than anything for other consoles I've messed with. no consistency or cohesion, contradictory advice everywhere. but at least now i can play mgs4

Looper fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Oct 24, 2022

A Cup of Ramen
Oct 16, 2012

Hello thread I was on the winning team in a small oce Omega Strikers tournament and now I have a csgo skin because that was the prize, I've never played csgo what do I even do with it? :magemage:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Arzaac posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPBvMsT3prg

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

A Cup of Ramen posted:

Hello thread I was on the winning team in a small oce Omega Strikers tournament and now I have a csgo skin because that was the prize, I've never played csgo what do I even do with it? :magemage:

Can't you sell those types of things?

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

A Cup of Ramen posted:

What we need is some kind of key or token that you could sell to other gamers so you could transfer ownership of your in-game rewards. I don't know for sure what that should look like but it definitely shouldn't be fungible

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Looper posted:

modding a wii u is extremely easy and worthwhile, and for zelda you could play every game in the series up to twilight princess hd on one

this is a matter of highlighting the softmod icon and pressing the a button. it's more trivial than putting a disc in the console. it's also not true anyway, the scene is still active and making improvements

i bought and modded a super slim ps3 last week and i would say homebrew for it is a way bigger pita than anything for other consoles I've messed with. no consistency or cohesion, contradictory advice everywhere. but at least now i can play mgs4

You can also set the Wii U to automatically softmod on boot, and I think Tiramisu (the latest approach) does it by default.

And absolutely softmod that thing. And then :filez: every Zelda game since the entire series was available on the system. Might as well have them all in one place.

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

Whizzing Wizard posted:

The most important aspect of a mapgame is that you change the color of the provinces into your color as the game progresses

Ah yes, Splatoon, I played that.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Mapgames are about bullying poorer people and kicking others when they're down

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Jay Rust posted:

:yeah:

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Jay Rust posted:

So it lets you roleplay as a rich person?

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

The last map game I played was the original Age of Wonders. That was fun but I sucked at the story campaign.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Sometimes YOURE the poor person but your rich neighbour is in a losing war with another rich neighbour so when the time is right you backstab the weaker of the two and take their wallet

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Upcoming rimsorld expansion pack (i.e. “dlc”) adds babies and children. Does dwarf fortress have children? I feel like, in a game that allows maddened beavers to break into your starbase and bite the legs off your peons, it’s not as fun when it’s a baby losing their legs

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Jay Rust posted:

Upcoming rimsorld expansion pack (i.e. “dlc”) adds babies and children. Does dwarf fortress have children? I feel like, in a game that allows maddened beavers to break into your starbase and bite the legs off your peons, it’s not as fun when it’s a baby losing their legs

It has cats. The only children I can think of. All the dwarves love cats.

There was a period of time where cats kept drinking themselves to death on lovely beer and it was weird because cats don't want beer and won't seek out beer to drink so it was a riddle trying to figure out why all these cats were dying from alcohol poisoning.

Turns out the simulation was working as intended, a little too well. Dwarves are messy and spill their drinks a lot. Cats follow around dwarves and just walk around being cats. They walk through a puddle of spilled beer, their fur soaks up all of the beer, they clean themselves later, they end up drinking the beer and dying of beer.

I forget what they did to fix that. It was a weird situation all around. Idk if babies and children are a thing in dwarf fortress but I wouldn't be surprised if it turned out they had their own similar troubles of the game's mechanisms working as intended to a fault.

Jay Rust posted:

Spirit Island has you sometimes bullying the poorer native people but generally as a side effect of bullying and kicking the colonizers off the island, whether by scaring them off, destroying them, or disappearing them.

dervival
Apr 23, 2014

Arzaac posted:

it's also the rare mapgame where you're not on the painting side

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

this is townseek

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

The 7th Guest posted:

this is townseek

I dont know what this is but I'm going to play it

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

that does look very pleasant

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Silent Hill might have the worst boss fights in human history

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

TheWorldsaStage posted:

I dont know what this is but I'm going to play it
from the demo i played it's very trading-heavy, finding/buying stuff in one town/region and selling it at others for a profit

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

The 7th Guest posted:

from the demo i played it's very trading-heavy, finding/buying stuff in one town/region and selling it at others for a profit

With that art style it's charming as hell. Def checking it out!

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

FirstAidKite posted:

It has cats. The only children I can think of. All the dwarves love cats.

There was a period of time where cats kept drinking themselves to death on lovely beer and it was weird because cats don't want beer and won't seek out beer to drink so it was a riddle trying to figure out why all these cats were dying from alcohol poisoning.

Turns out the simulation was working as intended, a little too well. Dwarves are messy and spill their drinks a lot. Cats follow around dwarves and just walk around being cats. They walk through a puddle of spilled beer, their fur soaks up all of the beer, they clean themselves later, they end up drinking the beer and dying of beer.

I forget what they did to fix that. It was a weird situation all around. Idk if babies and children are a thing in dwarf fortress but I wouldn't be surprised if it turned out they had their own similar troubles of the game's mechanisms working as intended to a fault.

I also like the Dwarf Fortress thing of exercise making you stronger and since fish were swimming 24/7 they were basically the Hulk, making going fishing a terrifying nightmare scenario.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

The 7th Guest posted:

this is townseek

wishlisted, tyvm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
Finally caught up with the thread, I have a can of Dr. Pepper and cream soda that I keep forgetting about and also an Anova immersion circulator.

This means I can heat it in the can and not lose any carbonation! So, what’s the scientifically ideal temperature for hot Dr. Pepper?