Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Cleretic posted:

I'm personally just fine with JRPGs being the one holdout of save points, because they're also one of the few genres where you could genuinely gently caress yourself over by saving in a bad position. I know I've done that myself; you save deep in a dungeon only to realize that you don't have enough resources to fight your way through or out.

There are ways they could fix these problems, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Cleretic posted:

I'm personally just fine with JRPGs being the one holdout of save points, because they're also one of the few genres where you could genuinely gently caress yourself over by saving in a bad position. I know I've done that myself; you save deep in a dungeon only to realize that you don't have enough resources to fight your way through or out.

Its a problem in other games too, but it was easier to get back to a level in Doom or Tomb Raider than it is to get to a dungeon 30 hours into a JRPG and remembering exactly what you hosed up on. Especially games where you only had a handful (or one) save slot.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I liked how FF13 did it where winning each battle reset you to a default state and they simply tuned each encounter to be it's own tricky challenge until you got good at fighting each enemy. The Tales games do similar things with killing enemies healing you, although not to the same extent as you sometimes still need items to heal, but they are easily bought or made and are needed rarely enough that it's not too scarce.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
I have a soft spot for Lord of the Rings: War in the North despite it being a cataclysmically mid as poo poo game. But one thing that's genuinely annoying is how the three main characters speak. The writers attempted to emulate the manner of speech found in Tolkien's works but without any of the flow or beauty, so the three main dunderhead leads just talk in this very proper, stilted manner. It doesn't help that Laura Bailey, Nolan North, and Joe Dimaggio are all phoning it in hardcore.

There's a bit that always stands out early in the game where some goblins with bombs strapped to their backs rush you, and the elf woman goes:

"Are they so enamoured with the darkness that they willingly sacrifice themselves to harm their enemies?" Which is already an awful line, but then Nolan North chimes in with all the energy of someone who got a flat tire on a suburban road:

"This is troubling!"

Like gently caress off. Sometimes I think it might have been a joke because none of the other characters really speak like this. In the second chapter you talk to some Dunedain rangers and they all just seem like normal rear end dudes.

Also they mispronounce Dunedain. It's doo-nah-DINE not doo-nah-DAN you cretins.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

I have a soft spot for Lord of the Rings: War in the North despite it being a cataclysmically mid as poo poo game. But one thing that's genuinely annoying is how the three main characters speak. The writers attempted to emulate the manner of speech found in Tolkien's works but without any of the flow or beauty, so the three main dunderhead leads just talk in this very proper, stilted manner. It doesn't help that Laura Bailey, Nolan North, and Joe Dimaggio are all phoning it in hardcore.

drat, what a get by whoever did the VA casting!

(I once read a review of the first Red Faction game where the writer noted that they didn't end up liking it as much as "the adventures of Morgan Freeman")

tripwood
Jul 21, 2003

"Cuno can see you're trying to shit him, but Cuno's unshittable, so fuck does Cuno care?"

Hint: He doesn't care.

Cleretic posted:

That's why if you can't save anywhere you should always respawn at the inn with half gold OR get unlimited retries. Game overs suck absolute poo poo in RPGs.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
Splatoon 3 is a COMMUNICATION ERROR really fun experience and COMMUNICATION ERROR has a lot of COMMUNICATION ERROR fun weapons to COMMUNICATION ERROR choose from.

But the online is COMMUNICATION ERROR a bit unstable and COMMUNICATION ERROR.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

I appreciate that the Trails of Cold Steel series (or at least the two that I played, 3 and 4) are really good about that kind of thing. You can save anywhere in a dungeon, you can quick travel out of a lot of them, there are regular healing stations that also double as item/weapon/magic shops that sell anything you’d find in town, and the games auto save frequently enough that even if you *did* somehow get trapped in a dungeon you didn’t want to bother with yet and saved, you’d still be able to load an older file from before then. Also you can freely speed the game up, skip battle animations, turbo through dialogue, check a log of recent dialogue that goes back pretty far, skip a cutscene or all cutscenes before the next playable segment or dialogue choice, and if you lose any fight you can just try again from the beginning of battle without having to reload the game

I feel that there is some value in games not giving you so much flexibility (like how tense a game can get when you’re almost completely out of resources and trying to hobble your way back to safety), but it’s also really nice not having to deal with all that cruft if it’s not necessary for the experience

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Judge Tesla posted:

Splatoon 3 is a COMMUNICATION ERROR really fun experience and COMMUNICATION ERROR has a lot of COMMUNICATION ERROR fun weapons to COMMUNICATION ERROR choose from.

But the online is COMMUNICATION ERROR a bit unstable and COMMUNICATION ERROR.

It's a great game, when I can play it. I have no idea how they managed to make the third one the least stable, but I guess Nintendo's gonna Nintend

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

I'm replaying Portal 2, and I forgot how while the game is great, it feels so overdesigned and streamlined in so many ways.
I know they did a ton of playtesting and making sure that everything just 'clicks', but I forgot how much of the game just feels automatic.

A bit of it is because I've played it before, but looking back I guess it being simplified and super streamlined was the source of some critique at the time.

Also old Source's constant loadscreens are obnoxious. Especially whenever the game does an action scene and you end up with a loadscreen, then 20-30 seconds of action, and then another.
And these loadscreens are somehow pretty long despite being on a modern nvme ssd.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Mierenneuker posted:

(I once read a review of the first Red Faction game where the writer noted that they didn't end up liking it as much as "the adventures of Morgan Freeman")

Oops! :doh: JOHN Dimaggio.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Mierenneuker posted:

Fun fact, Morgan Freeman actually did voice that role. The producers just decided to go with an extremely minimalist take for it.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

tripwood posted:

That's why if you can't save anywhere you should always respawn at the inn with half gold OR get unlimited retries. Game overs suck absolute poo poo in RPGs.

Yup. In the Etrian Odyssey series, if you die in the dungeon, it's game over if you fall in battle, and getting back to the home base can be grueling if you get unlucky. Thankfully, there's a way to get back using an item that's easy to purchase, but all that means is that it's a chore that you need to do before leaving, and if you forget you have to waste time making your way back. Having it just be an action that costs money in the dungeon (call it a retrieval service or something) or not having such a steep penalty for death would've made it better. Later games even introduced an item that you could get in the latter half (or so) of the game that was an item that didn't get consumed, but feels it should've been introduced far earlier.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Reminds me of ARPGs that insist on having discrete town portal scrolls. Serves no actual purpose and just acts as a convenience tax. For all of its other streamlined elements, Chronicon still does it.

dracula vladdy AF
May 6, 2011
I've finished SMT3 and while I liked it overall, I'm pretty happy to be done with it. That last dungeon was just plain awful, it's like the devs had a meeting to come up with all the most tedious and annoying gimmicks a dungeon can have and just chucked them all in at once. The last third or so in particular, with the maze with invisible teleporters, was just godawful.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
On the one hand, yeah, needing to buy warp wire every time you go into the dungeon is a bit of a chore.

On the other hand it also led to an expedition that ended with “Oh poo poo I forgot the warp wire” -> Massive drag out fight with multiple FOEs wandering in midfight that forced me to use every consumable I had been hoarding -> win and successfully limp back to town

Which ended up being the most memorable part of the entire playthrough, so who can say if it’s bad or not.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
I can't be bothered with the Colosseum on Hollow Knight because I'm stuck on one of the waves and I am sick of doing the easy ones over and over and over again. One of my most hated pieces game design. Several minutes of mashing through guys you've beaten a dozen times before dying in seconds and you can't get the practice because you're spending 95% of your time not doing the bit you're struggling with. That's not to say I don't like all wave-based scenarios but ones where you can comfortably be at full health and whatever else you need after several waves but then get wrecked need a bit of tuning to not be annoying.

Walton Simons has a new favorite as of 23:03 on Oct 23, 2022

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
finished the indie horror game Madison and while it was pretty good overall i'm really at my limit with jump scares. oh you made a vague figure blink on my screen along with a loud noise, my pulse jumped for a second, round of applause, round of applause

my personal scariest moments in horror are never the ones accompanied by a deafening BWOMMMMMM sound

e: the developers of these games also need to learn to lay off the profanity in their dialogue, it turns everything into farce. reminds me of Visage, though that was far worse about it

Oxxidation has a new favorite as of 23:42 on Oct 23, 2022

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Oxxidation posted:

finished the indie horror game Madison and while it was pretty good overall i'm really at my limit with jump scares. oh you made a vague figure blink on my screen along with a loud noise, my pulse jumped for a second, round of applause, round of applause

my personal scariest moments in horror are never the ones accompanied by a deafening BWOMMMMMM sound

e: the developers of these games also need to learn to lay off the profanity in their dialogue, it turns everything into farce. reminds me of Visage, though that was far worse about it

Over time I've realized that while I do really like horror, I absolutely loathe jumpscares, which actually makes drat near every form of visual horror storytelling indigestible. Because they ALL loving do that, no matter whether or not it actually helps their storytelling in any way.

Hector Delgado
Sep 23, 2007

Time for shore leave!!
There were a few times where I was looking in the wrong direction and suddenly scary music plays and I had no idea what the ghost did.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
always recall how my personal scariest moment in the dead space series happened because of an audio glitch. a baddie spawned behind me without the mandatory shrieking orchestra, so when i turned around and saw it click-click-clicking towards me in utter silence i almost had a coronary

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored
One of the few mistakes Dead Space made was introducing new enemy types (brutes, exploding babies) in cutscenes rather than just letting the player stumble onto them organically.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Hector Delgado posted:

There were a few times where I was looking in the wrong direction and suddenly scary music plays and I had no idea what the ghost did.

That's always been the problem with horror in games, making sure that the audience who can control the camera is looking at the right spot.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

SubNat posted:

I'm replaying Portal 2, and I forgot how while the game is great, it feels so overdesigned and streamlined in so many ways.
I know they did a ton of playtesting and making sure that everything just 'clicks', but I forgot how much of the game just feels automatic.

A bit of it is because I've played it before, but looking back I guess it being simplified and super streamlined was the source of some critique at the time.

Also old Source's constant loadscreens are obnoxious. Especially whenever the game does an action scene and you end up with a loadscreen, then 20-30 seconds of action, and then another.
And these loadscreens are somehow pretty long despite being on a modern nvme ssd.

Almost all of the good puzzles in Portal 2 are in the co-op mode. The base game has to spend a lot of time teaching new mechanics (for the various gels and devices) and too many situations boil down to working out which surfaces can take portals and just trying the options. The multiplayer can spend less time teaching and introducing a second set of portals dramatically increases the possible combinations.

We Got Us A Bread
Jul 23, 2007

dracula vladdy AF posted:

I've finished SMT3 and while I liked it overall, I'm pretty happy to be done with it. That last dungeon was just plain awful, it's like the devs had a meeting to come up with all the most tedious and annoying gimmicks a dungeon can have and just chucked them all in at once. The last third or so in particular, with the maze with invisible teleporters, was just godawful.

Oh, you don't like teleporter mazes? Strange Journey and Soul Hackers 2 have such sights to show you.

Simiain
Dec 13, 2005

"BAM! The ole fork in the eye!!"

Cleretic posted:

Over time I've realized that while I do really like horror, I absolutely loathe jumpscares, which actually makes drat near every form of visual horror storytelling indigestible. Because they ALL loving do that, no matter whether or not it actually helps their storytelling in any way.

Same. Scorn got some major things wrong (all of the combat), but it told a horrific, existential, cosmic story that was never interrupted by inane jumpscares.

It's also got dang gorgeous

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

With the new plague tale game out, I thought I'd play through the first game, A Plague Tale: Innocence first. It's really good so far, the story is good, the action is good, and the rats are loving amazing.

I'm not in love with the crafting stuff though. There's so many materials that are out of the way, it kind of kills all the tension when I'm scavenging all this dumb poo poo in the middle of sneaking around guards and running from rats.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Almost all of the good puzzles in Portal 2 are in the co-op mode. The base game has to spend a lot of time teaching new mechanics (for the various gels and devices) and too many situations boil down to working out which surfaces can take portals and just trying the options. The multiplayer can spend less time teaching and introducing a second set of portals dramatically increases the possible combinations.

The big problem with a coop puzzle mode is that you basically need one friend that you can commit to playing through beginning to end with if you want to solve everything blind. Can't really play with friends who already played the game and love dit and recommended it to you or whatever.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
This is the pettiest, low-stakes gripe, but I would really like to be able to fast travel out of mini dungeons in Elden Ring. Especially if they're mines or caves that require a lift ride to enter. I would even be happy to be allowed to travel from the Site of Grace inside as a compromise. But please let me leave without having to spend time trudging to an exit.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

DoubleNegative posted:

This is the pettiest, low-stakes gripe, but I would really like to be able to fast travel out of mini dungeons in Elden Ring. Especially if they're mines or caves that require a lift ride to enter. I would even be happy to be allowed to travel from the Site of Grace inside as a compromise. But please let me leave without having to spend time trudging to an exit.

If those lovely caves weren't the most annoying dragged out part of ER I would say yes, it's petty, but in this instance I completely agree with you. I assume they couldn't code it so you were able to fast travel from the grace without also allowing immediately bailing out of the entire dungeon at will

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

There's a small handful of dungeons whose gimmick revolves around not being able to get out easily and I assume that ruins it for everything else

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
I know Marvel Snap just started, but it doesn't have enough weird janky horseshit cards.

The most fun part of TCGs/CCGs aren't when you make a totally reasonable deck that makes sense and wins by intelligent decision-making and combos. The fun part is when someone turns up with a strategy that only makes sense through bizarre moon logic based on unintended interactions between cards you've never seen anyone else play before, but somehow works well enough to score victories that you can never quite understand. And you can't do that in Marvel Snap yet.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Cleretic posted:

I know Marvel Snap just started, but it doesn't have enough weird janky horseshit cards.

The most fun part of TCGs/CCGs aren't when you make a totally reasonable deck that makes sense and wins by intelligent decision-making and combos. The fun part is when someone turns up with a strategy that only makes sense through bizarre moon logic based on unintended interactions between cards you've never seen anyone else play before, but somehow works well enough to score victories that you can never quite understand. And you can't do that in Marvel Snap yet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EBIsZlV1jHk

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Rune factory 5: Here’s a quest to grow this type of crop/flower/tree/whatever. I can’t purchase seeds for this type of plant yet as the reward for the quest is to unlock this plant’s seeds in the store. So where do I get a seed to get started in the first place? the game offers absolutely no indication of this and I have the entire world unlocked by now, so let’s google it.

Google: “You can only find this seed as a random treasure in 1 precise location in the entire world, which you have no reason to revisit, so you would never find it other than by dumb luck or using online resources. Get hosed.”

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Cleretic posted:

I’ve been in the beta for about 3 months now and they keep fixing all the janky horseshit :argh:
I do have an entire deck I just call “BS” that I bust out when they give me a “make your opponent retreat” task but it’s a lot weaker than it used to be.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Vandar posted:

Tales of Berseria please stop giving me tutorials for new mechanics thanks.

...wait no why are you introducing a new ability this far in (Heaven's Claw for Velvet) that feels like it should have been in my arsenal from the start why does this game have so many mechanics argh.

I've always felt that the Tales of Series has had multiple extra systems in combat that I've never once figured out and still got to the end.
I had to look this up for Abyss, but there was Field of Fonons thing, and I remember it coming up once in the game, and I just ignored it and kept going.
" A new addition to the system is the "Field of Fonons" (often abbreviated as FOF). Whenever a character uses a spell or battle technique that features an elemental alignment, a circle will appear on the ground, corresponding to that element. After being reinforced with more techniques of the same element, the circle will light up in that element's color to signify that an FOF change is available. Finally, if a character stands in the circle and performs a specific skill that corresponds with the FOF circle, the skill will be upgraded into a more powerful version."

This is a game where the combat is constantly moving everyone around the screen.
I'm poking away at Tales of Arise, but I made a terrible mistake of setting it down and now I have a hard time remember how some of the combat goes.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I always hate the parts of JRPGs where you get stuck in a series of really long dungeons because the plot contrives to throw you to the other side of the planet and it's like "Welp, gotta fight through way too many screens!" I just got past that bit in Tales of Berseria, where you go through that valley, then the mines, and the mines are really long. There's been some cool character stuff in the intervening time, but it's still a pain to play.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
I’ve been playing a lot of Warhammer 3 since Immortal Empires has released. I’m on my fourth campaign and the plague mechanic really drags the game down for me.

An enemy faction with the proper unit can spread a plague to a city which lowers it’s growth and economy for about 5 turns which is a bit annoying.

The real annoying feature is if one of your armies gets a plague. If that happens you start taking consistent attrition damage with absolutely no way to cure the disease other than sticking your army in a random place (not safe near your other stuff though, or you might spread the plague) and waiting it out.

Then, once you finally get rid of the plague, you need to spend another 2-3 turns reinforcing your depleted army since all of your regiments are at 50% strength. Losing the use of an army for 7 turns is a huge deal and if it’s already damaged you’re probably gonna lose some veteran troops.

On top of all of that, my AI allies seem to have no qualms running their pox-ridden armies through my territory spreading this stuff through my empire.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
For some reason I thought Xenoblade Chronicles 2 was autosaving this entire time. I got softlocked during a Merc mission thing and POW lost like thirty(?) hours of game. I know this is my own fault, but Jesus loving Christ. After putting in sixty hours I was to the part where the game starts to at least feel good mechanically, even if everything else about the game made me cringe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

That sucks bro. The game finally starts getting good around the 65 hour mark.