Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
I work at a factory at the end of a long country road that's two lanes, no shoulders, no sidewalks, etc. Every person around here has a 50 ft driveway going back to their McMansion.

Whenever there's any work being done, landscaping or construction or whatever, none of these people ever allow the workers to park their vehicles and towed trailers in their long driveways. They all park on the road itself, which means putting up cones and roadsigns to indicate that the road is one lane for the 20 feet in front of a person's house.

But then the other part of this is that someone who lives on this road must be upset by the amount of drivers who react angrily to this kind of thing. Because now all of the houses have signs in front their houses that say "MAKE *ROAD NAME* SAFE!"

Assholes, you have all collectively made the road unsafe by choosing to live somewhere where things like "shoulders" and "sidewalks" are viewed as a waste of taxes!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

Assholes, you have all collectively made the road unsafe by choosing to live somewhere where things like "shoulders" and "sidewalks" are viewed as a waste of taxes!

But then poors might walk into their neighborhood and steal their Sam's Club TVs. :ohdear:

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

The same factors that let them build their mcmansions on large tracts also let industry build its factories there. You can't get mad at them for taking advantage of the same thing you did!

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
No family needs more than 1200 square feet of living space unless there's 5+ of them

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012
they recently built a shopping mall right behind me (which is bad) but they also added a couple footpaths and added extra streets that lead to it directly, which is nice since the shopping mall connects radially to other places i want to go and the footpaths are legit car-free zones, connecting to a metro station, which is pretty cool

anyway accessing the footpaths requires crossing a boulevard which was made into a protected pedestrian crossing with a traffic light. you have to push the button, then it brings 4 lanes of traffic to a full stop for 30 or so seconds while you cross. drivers loving hate the new pedestrian crossing. how do i know? all of the buttons to call for a pedestrian green light have been vandalized and sabotaged and no longer work. repeatedly. tactical urbanism folks!
i know its on purpose because theres a whole bunch of protected crossings in my area but this is the only one that gets sabotaged.
god i hate automobiles and drivers

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Fitzy Fitz posted:

The same factors that let them build their mcmansions on large tracts also let industry build its factories there. You can't get mad at them for taking advantage of the same thing you did!

lol i don't own the factory you dork

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

lol i don't own the factory you dork

I'm talking to the homeowners!

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I'm talking to the homeowners!

oh in that case:

lol, yeah! you dork

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

cool av posted:

couple times I (filthy street parker) have parked in front of the house next door to my building when the owner is out and about he asks “oh you parking there?”

roll down your window and scream "EYYYY! I'M PAHKIN' HEAH!"

an actual frog
Mar 1, 2007

HEH, HEH, HEH!

mortons stork posted:

drivers loving hate the new pedestrian crossing. how do i know? all of the buttons to call for a pedestrian green light have been vandalized and sabotaged and no longer work. repeatedly. tactical urbanism folks!
lmao :allears:

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

mortons stork posted:

anyway accessing the footpaths requires crossing a boulevard which was made into a protected pedestrian crossing with a traffic light. you have to push the button, then it brings 4 lanes of traffic to a full stop for 30 or so seconds while you cross. drivers loving hate the new pedestrian crossing. how do i know? all of the buttons to call for a pedestrian green light have been vandalized and sabotaged and no longer work. repeatedly. tactical urbanism folks!
i know its on purpose because theres a whole bunch of protected crossings in my area but this is the only one that gets sabotaged.

Okay, so that means they had to park somewhere and walk to the pedestrian crossing to vandalize it. But there are call buttons on either side which means they had to use the pedestrian crossing to safely cross the road and sabotage the call buttons.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
No way, that's dangerous, just drive to the other side of the road.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Some new crossing signals are being added to a crosswalk I pass daily, and someone drove over and destroyed one of them before the work was even finished lol

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
The elementary school next to my house blocks the bus lane with little folding signs so they can make sure the bus lane is clear and safe for kids and people regularly hit and drive over those signs. I saw someone ram into one and back up to roll over it again once.

Drivers are loving lunatics.

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012

McCracAttack posted:

Okay, so that means they had to park somewhere and walk to the pedestrian crossing to vandalize it. But there are call buttons on either side which means they had to use the pedestrian crossing to safely cross the road and sabotage the call buttons.

something something, revolutionaries using the tools of the state against it

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle
lol there's a school in my neighborhood, I guess it's a private school with no bus service so every student has to get dropped off, so there's a poo poo ton of traffic in the mornings and around 3 pm. They all line up and block an entire lane of a residential street for an entire block waiting to get into the parking lot to drop their kids off. in the mornings they haul rear end through my neighborhood because they're very important people with very important things to do. I was walking my dog this morning and I have to cross the street to get to the side walk, I check left right and start to cross when some lady driving a minivan on the same street I'm on (but opposite side of the intersection) decides she doesn't need to stop at a stop sign or look for pedestrians and does a blind right turn. fortunately I was far enough away she didn't hit me or my dog as she nailed the curb and hauled rear end up to get to the school.

I wonder if she saw me giving her the one finger salute.

the speed limit is supposed to be 20 but I guess that doesn't count if you're late for work in which case the speed limit is somewhere between 45 and 50

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

silicone thrills posted:

The elementary school next to my house blocks the bus lane with little folding signs so they can make sure the bus lane is clear and safe for kids and people regularly hit and drive over those signs. I saw someone ram into one and back up to roll over it again once.

I hate them.

people see a school zone and think "how can I behave like the worlds biggest most entitled rear end in a top hat"

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

mortons stork posted:

they recently built a shopping mall right behind me (which is bad) but they also added a couple footpaths and added extra streets that lead to it directly, which is nice since the shopping mall connects radially to other places i want to go and the footpaths are legit car-free zones, connecting to a metro station, which is pretty cool

there's a church/private school (not the same school as my other post) that has one of those on a busier street. People have laid on the horn because I didn't run the red light and sat there until it was no longer red despite someone not being in the crosswalk. There's a lot of kids in this area walking to and from school.

assholes

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013
I used to live by a high school. They removed the crosswalk that the students used a lot, to cross from the main entrance to their neighborhood on the other side of a four-lane stroad. For some reason, they shifted the crosswalk up the street 500 feet. They half-assedly painted over the old zebra crossing, filled in the old curb cuts and removed the little connector sidewalks from the crosswalk to the sidewalks that run parallel to the stroad. A coworker told me the kids are still using the "old" crosswalk, which leads to motorists yelling and screaming at 15 year olds. Also, parents double park in the little circular drive in front of the school at the end of every day and when that fills up, they park in the right hand, northbound lane. Despite all of this visual stimuli, other motorists still plow along in the left hand lane at 50-60 mph. How no child has been killed yet is a miracle.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

WaryWarren posted:

I used to live by a high school. They removed the crosswalk that the students used a lot, to cross from the main entrance to their neighborhood on the other side of a four-lane stroad. For some reason, they shifted the crosswalk up the street 500 feet. They half-assedly painted over the old zebra crossing, filled in the old curb cuts and removed the little connector sidewalks from the crosswalk to the sidewalks that run parallel to the stroad. A coworker told me the kids are still using the "old" crosswalk, which leads to motorists yelling and screaming at 15 year olds. Also, parents double park in the little circular drive in front of the school at the end of every day and when that fills up, they park in the right hand, northbound lane. Despite all of this visual stimuli, other motorists still plow along in the left hand lane at 50-60 mph. How no child has been killed yet is a miracle.

Im reading "Confessions of a civil engineer" right now and there's like 2 chapters totally dedicated to garbage cross walk placement.

mystes
May 31, 2006

The only sane solution in a situation like that would be to say "oh ok kids are crossing in this spot so we'll put in a traffic light so they can cross safely"

the way everything in the us is actually like "we don't want to slow cars so we'll just remove the crosswalk and then blame the kids who have to cross when they get run over" is disgusting

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

silicone thrills posted:

Sounds like someone needs to put a couple of bollards under those signs, preferably with no warning.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

i had to drive today but i went at or under the speed limit the whoel time :twisted:

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

lobster shirt posted:

i had to drive today

:thermidor:

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

https://twitter.com/martinvars/status/1584650968368545793

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

good.

mystes
May 31, 2006

why the gently caress would you take an uber from manhattan to philadelphia

there should be an additional moron surcharge of $100 for not taking a bus or train

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

mystes posted:

there should be an additional moron surcharge of $100 for not taking a bus or train

I think that's literally what one or two of them are.

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

silicone thrills posted:

I'm still a bit shocked after looking up traffic fatality stats. I really didn't expect 1/2 of traffic fatalities to be due to aggressive driving/road rage.

Man, steel pipes are more expensive than I though they would be. On the other hand, it's surprisingly easy to drill through asphalt.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5pu6sqhJ88U

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

A drunk driver creamed my car and crashed into a utility pole further up the street just now.

I love America!

are you parked on the footpath

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

https://twitter.com/RealMattLucas/status/1584447097620733952

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Deadly Ham Sandwich posted:

I'm still a bit shocked after looking up traffic fatality stats. I really didn't expect 1/2 of traffic fatalities to be due to aggressive driving/road rage.

Man, steel pipes are more expensive than I though they would be. On the other hand, it's surprisingly easy to drill through asphalt.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5pu6sqhJ88U

those are fairly dinky, I don't think they'd be much use outside of a parking lot.

Good news is, you can Jerry rig your own with 8" sonotubes, concrete, and rebar

quote:

A minimum of 4 pieces of No. 5 (5/8″) or 3 pieces of No.6 (3/4”) rebar should be used inside the CEME-TUBE® Bollard for additional strength.
NOTE: 4 Pieces of No. 6 (3/4″) rebar in the CEME-TUBE® Bollard will equal the strength of a 5″ Schedule 40 pipe filled with concrete. If more strength is needed, add more rebar.

Re-bar should extend at least 2′ below the level of grade. (On a standard 4′ above grade bollard, a 20′ piece of re-bar cut into 3 equal pieces will provide 3′ of support below grade and 3-1/2′ above grade.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

cowboy beepboop posted:

are you parked on the footpath

It's a two way street laid out before the automobile was common so it's accepted SOP for people to park with their inside tires on the curb

Should really be one way

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

some online sicko named Gus posted:

1. Get rid of the parking on main roadways
2. Get rid of the bike lanes
3. Get rid of 1/2 the traffic light and stop signs
4. Get rid of the street cars
5. Get more buses
6 Repeat.

#3 is worth considering as an annual Automobile Purge Day, if non-drivers can just stay home.

#4 is 100% right with the critical extra space and #5-6 are also correct so this earns a solid C- grade.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

mystes posted:

I don't know about yesterday, but today you can take a bus from Philly to Manhattan for $7. Yesterday was probably similar.

Junkozeyne
Feb 13, 2012
If by street cars they means light rail why would you get rid of them in order to get more buses, they are superior in every way but cost (both money and intial effort)

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012
If you consider cost amortization its not even close. A bus has a max operating life of 15-20 years (we have some ~15 year old buses in the fleet here, they look and feel rough) and this if you do some serious work with maintenance. Also depends on road conditions, ehich again, are abysmal here.

Rome has tram cars in operation that were built before wwii. They can feasibly still run for the whole century if properly maintained, maybe you'll want for upgrades but ehh
Cant beat a train or tram beyond the high initial capital investment of laying tracks down.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Junkozeyne posted:

If by street cars they means light rail why would you get rid of them in order to get more buses, they are superior in every way but cost (both money and intial effort)

That's why you get rid of bike lanes and street parking, so you can fit the ??hundreds?? of buses required to move the 300k+ daily riders/8-10k busloads of the top 6 streetcar lines in Toronto.

e: Toronto had electric trolley buses until the early 90s too but I guess they were too expensive to maintain.

Precambrian Video Games has issued a correction as of 16:26 on Oct 25, 2022

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

eXXon posted:

That's why you get rid of bike lanes and street parking, so you can fit the ??hundreds?? of buses required to move the 300k+ daily riders/8-10k busloads of the top 6 streetcar lines in Toronto.

e: Toronto had electric trolley buses until the early 90s too but I guess they were too expensive to maintain.

I'll never understand how an electric motor attached to some bogies is more expensive to maintain than an ICE engine + transmission + everything that goes into them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mystes
May 31, 2006

Streetcars are literally the simplest thing. It's dumb that we stopped using them and also dumb that we aren't building them now because they are still one of the quickest/easiest/cheapest things ways to do transit and they can run off of electricity without needing batteries.