Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

That's just Major Alan "Dutch" Schaefer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Dawgstar posted:

Do you WANT scorpions the size of tanks? Because that's how you get scorpions the size of tanks.

Do you not?!

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I just want giant 2-handed bludgeoning weapons for my big beautiful boi. :cry:

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Ravenfood posted:

Do you not?!

Valid.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Orv posted:

Exceptional sound design, hugely aesthetic visual design, extremely solid gameplay.

Just a real shitshow all around.

Snark aside the beta had massive problems with performance and of course like any weird niche game the devs seem to be weirdly disconnected from good ideas in some spaces - QoL, class design - but to call the game poorly crafted is a lol and a lmao.

It was a technical shitshow and the parts of the game I could make out in between sections of tortured frame rate showed numerous regressions from their previous games with a number of other red flags concerning mechanics we couldn’t fully digest in a demo period. I would call that experience poorly crafted. they are coasting heavily on aesthetics, which greatly matter to an action game but don’t tell close to the whole story.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

I want to slap more chaos baddies, hopefully soon

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
Just ran across someone who took a look at how the enemy AI behaved while he was waiting for rescue. The melee mobs seem simple enough, but the behavior of the ranged mobs is worth noting. I suspect the game monitors how many players are able to shoot back (down/suppressed/???) and toggles whether the las troops are restricted to cover or allowed to path anywhere to get a firing angle. Could also be an emergent property of the suppression system, though I suspect there's a bit more going on. Either way, it must have been part of why failure spirals were so brutal in the beta. The AI is aware enough to go all-in for the kill if you gently caress up.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Ravenfood posted:

Can't watch the video now but does the commisar rapier come with an offhand pistol?

The current speculation is that you can add-on the Las pistol / ogryn shield to a 1 handed weapon as a weapon mod and it'll modify your special attack. We haven't seen any of the crafting yet.

If I had to guess, plasma gun is probably going to fully be like the fireball staff, including overheat = kaboom mechanic.

But yeah, milk and cookies did a spoiler video going over all the Leaked weapons. We have no gameplay footage, but you can guess what everything will behave like.

https://youtu.be/lCOuP1bld70

Kind of bummed about the lack of variety in ogryn ranged weapons. We have the two known weapons, grenade launcher, stubber (or autocannon) , and that's about it. I'm guessing the first post launch ogryn class is going to be a gun lugger and he'll get more access to heavy guns - multi melta, heavy flamer, multi-las, ect.

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!
Ogryn Autocannon is all you really need. Once you can fulfill a Heavy Weapons Guy cosplay, the class is basically complete.

"It costs four hundred thousand dollars to fire this weapon... for twelve seconds."

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog

Edmond Dantes posted:

That's just Major Alan "Dutch" Schaefer

Blatant theft of action film celebrity likenesses is pretty much the number-one reason I even collect these plastic space-barbies:

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Termyie posted:

I do hope Fatshark was able to work in some Jungle Deathworlds so I can relive all the Catachan jungle fighter short stories. Hell, even some Catachan cosmetics is all I am asking for.

I'm hoping some of the DLC involves webway gates to other parts of the galaxy, maybe this game's version of Chaos Wastes, or even Darktide 2.

In 40k terms it would be more surprising if this kind of planetary defense didn't have the later twist of "oh yeah, it's not just Chaos anymore, it turns out Orks and Necrons and Dark Eldar and Genestealers have come to have a big party and it's all because a Craftworld Eldar Farseer had a vision 1000 years ago that he could save a single Eldar life by dooming Atoma Prime".

When it doesn't happen it'll be because of Fatshark and development/budget limitations. But lorewise I want this to turn into a massive galactic reunion.

Brendan Rodgers fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Oct 24, 2022

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Corbeau posted:

Just ran across someone who took a look at how the enemy AI behaved while he was waiting for rescue. The melee mobs seem simple enough, but the behavior of the ranged mobs is worth noting. I suspect the game monitors how many players are able to shoot back (down/suppressed/???) and toggles whether the las troops are restricted to cover or allowed to path anywhere to get a firing angle. Could also be an emergent property of the suppression system, though I suspect there's a bit more going on. Either way, it must have been part of why failure spirals were so brutal in the beta. The AI is aware enough to go all-in for the kill if you gently caress up.
With the players being visible through walls like that I genuinely can't tell if the lasgun mooks have a line of sight on anyone there. It might just be that they see the Ogryn who keeps walking up to that railing and get stuck in a "taking cover" loop. They don't seem to actually advance until the Grenadier nails the Ogryn with an explosive barrel while the two remaining players are busy spinning around meleeing something.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Fishstick posted:

Vermintide 2 update just added nurglings for a seasonal event

What are the odds they took the model from Darktide and theyre one of their so-far-unshown extra enemies/Factions?

They did what with the what now?

Might be time to reinstall the ol’ Ratfite.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Al-Saqr posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lCOuP1bld70

Release window weapons list revealed!

Bolter - Melta - Plasma confirmed

Lasgun patters include Bullpup, Sniper and Krieg Patterns

three different patters of auto rifles, Vostroyan and Tallarn patterns!

Chain Axes and Commissar Rapiers confirmed! :black101:

overall a pretty good start!

gently caress yes

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

ChickenHeart posted:

Blatant theft of action film celebrity likenesses is pretty much the number-one reason I even collect these plastic space-barbies:

Oh HELL yeah.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Bussamove posted:

I've been playing it again since the end of the Darktide beta. I'm on both the Vermintide discord and the coop goons discord as "DJ Footfingers" if you ping me in the chat most evenings I will probably hammer rats.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

ChickenHeart posted:

Aw, darn, I don't wanna play IG.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
So I've been having a think about the post-launch class support. I hope when they start adding new classes that they do something to differentiate the archetypes. So that they don't just do "zealot but also sharpshooter". I think Vermintide does really well with that, but Vermintide also has very few shared weapons between heroes where in Darktide the human classes share more weapons than not.

I have to assume post launch classes will be piggybacked off of one of the base classes and you can swap between classes of an archetype like Vermintide.

Like, give the sharpshooter an alternate class as a catachan tectics that is guerilla focused, ambush, hit and run, melee but also shotgun focused.

Give the zealot a pistolero spec where they get the extra ammo, but the class gets to dual wield any pistol class weapon (so like dual autopistols, Las pistols, and revolvers) , rather than sharpshooter being the more rifle focused spec. Makes them more of a mid - short range blaster

It's do a lot to give their respective specialties a bit more uniqueness post-launch.

DeathSandwich fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Oct 24, 2022

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Bussamove posted:

DeathSandwich posted:

I've been playing it again since the end of the Darktide beta. I'm on both the Vermintide discord and the coop goons discord as "DJ Footfingers" if you ping me in the chat most evenings I will probably hammer rats.

Yeah, I've been ratting a bit as well in the Goonintide discord. Drop by, kill some rats.

Speaking of, the goon discord situation for co-opping games is kinda wack; there's at least 4 servers (Goonintide, Serious Overchill, Co-op Goons -which this thread's op points to-, Pro Elite Gaming Society) and they all got channels for most big co-op/horde games. Feels like we could have a much bigger/healthier playerbase for any given game but it's not really feasible to consolidate them by game at this point, each server is its own little community

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

DeathSandwich posted:

So I've been having a think about the post-launch class support. I hope when they start adding new classes that they do something to differentiate the archetypes. So that they don't just do "zealot but also sharpshooter". I think Vermintide does really well with that, but Vermintide also has very few shared weapons between heroes where in Darktide the human classes share more weapons than not.

I have to assume post launch classes will be piggybacked off of one of the base classes and you can swap between classes of an archetype like Vermintide.

Like, give the sharpshooter an alternate class as a catachan tectics that is guerilla focused, ambush, hit and run, melee but also shotgun focused.

Give the zealot a pistolero spec where they get the extra ammo, but the class gets to dual wield any pistol class weapon (so like dual autopistols, Las pistols, and revolvers) , rather than sharpshooter being the more rifle focused spec. Makes them more of a mid - short range blaster

It's do a lot to give their respective specialties a bit more uniqueness post-launch.

There's an article recently where the Fatshark dev emphasized that their subclasses are meant to be a lot more distinctive than Vermintide 2's careers or whatever they were called. Hard to confirm that with only 1 sublcass per class, but that was what they claimed anyway. I'd guess as long as the class is both something that works as a normal-ish prisoner-turned-Inquisitorial-varlet it's potentially on the menu.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Lassitude posted:

There's an article recently where the Fatshark dev emphasized that their subclasses are meant to be a lot more distinctive than Vermintide 2's careers or whatever they were called. Hard to confirm that with only 1 sublcass per class, but that was what they claimed anyway. I'd guess as long as the class is both something that works as a normal-ish prisoner-turned-Inquisitorial-varlet it's potentially on the menu.

They almost have to be. Part of what made Vermintide 2s class selection so unique was specifically the level feats (which, were to be fair, fairly same) but the other part was the weapon availability and behaviors, which largely were unique even on weapons that were similar in usage (I. E. Krubers longbow felt different than Kerrelians).

Darktide feels like it's going for the logical opposite: its going to have very samey weapon availability for non-ogryn, so it only makes sense that they pull classes apart based on class features.

Edit: as far as the idea of making the classes completely separate new creations - that seems like the sort of hilariously insurmountable thing for developers (in terms of new asset / voice / rigging needed) and also the most annoying from the players perspective (I. E. Everything has to be leveled from 1, separate inventories) compared to how it worked in VT1, so if course it's what Fatshark is going to do.

DeathSandwich fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Oct 24, 2022

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Kiss From a Hog

Dawgstar posted:

Aw, darn, I don't wanna play IG.

Yeah...that guy was a limited promo release that now costs a cool $80+ (yes that much for a 1.5-inch, 2-power piece of plastic that dies in a single melee phase. Catachans haven't seen a non-promo release in decades.

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

At least the new Imperial Guard/Cadian-pattern flak armor and stuff from the promo'd casts looks great. It'll be nice to see it in Darktide. The existing flak armor look isn't terrible, but the new stuff looks pretty cool.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Salvar chem dog could absolutely drop in as a subclass in this game. Press F to do drugs.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Play with sound

https://vimeo.com/763520414

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

lol they didn't get the joke though. when he says "foreshortened lifespans" it sounds like he said "four shortened lifespans" implying the 4 party members are going to die, and he's backpedaling trying to say a numberless "foreshortened lifespans" as the swarms of enemies against them are going to die

Cowcaster fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Oct 24, 2022

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
Loooolll the psykers breaking the fourth wall and screaming at the subtitles is such a funny bit

Al-Saqr fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Oct 24, 2022

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Bussamove posted:

Doesn't go active till the 26th.

Also if you haven't played since before the Chaos Waste dropped, go try that as well.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.

Al-Saqr posted:

Loooolll the psykers breaking the fourth wall and screaming at the subtitles is such a funny bit

Oh my god, it's so good.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Okay that is comedy gold

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OskxARomyO8

You got to post the full video at the least, this guy covers 40k Arma 3 for crying out loud. He lives for this stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-R1a1UAk3tw

Fake Edit: For shame. :colbert:

Jebediah
Oct 7, 2009
Grimey Drawer
I played this last beta test and am wondering if there are more than just "go here, press this, survive the wave" and "go here, kill this boss" types of missions?

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades

Jebediah posted:

I played this last beta test and am wondering if there are more than just "go here, press this, survive the wave" and "go here, kill this boss" types of missions?

We flat out don't know.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

Sometimes you gotta interact with a barrel and carry it to a barrel shaped hole and plug it in. Sometimes you gotta play a little symbol game I don't understand

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Literally just left click when the icon is over the glowy symbol

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost
Ogryns should get a different mini-game where they hit the machine until it works

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Diephoon posted:

Ogryns should get a different mini-game where they hit the machine until it works

Just furiously mashing every key on your keyboard to fill a bar, I can get behind that.

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop
I don't really recall much different types of objectives in VT2, TBH.

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Kiss From a Hog

Bussamove posted:

Just furiously mashing every key on your keyboard to fill a bar, I can get behind that.

I'm picturing the tank sequence from Out of This World where every button press makes something ridiculous happen, like releasing caustic gas into the room or dispensing recaff from a side compartment in the console.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
I gotta say I really like the various personalities they've given the psykers, they are by far the most unique characters

-- eccentric German scientist
-- Hopelessly Romantic French Lady
-- A free thinker who thinks society could be better than this (super duper heresy lol)