Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Komet posted:

The Big Ten is reconfiguring its divisions when USC and UCLA join in 2024. Obviously, they'd have to anyway because both teams are in the west, but this is a good opportunity to rebalance. Hopefully by throwing out Rutgers and Nebraska.

Clearly they should just add USC and UCLA to the east and move Rutgers to the west.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

Waifu Radia posted:

I have not been a college football enjoyer for long enough (7ish years and only 2 in this forum) to have heard clemsoning before. I will memorize it and move forward. Thank you

Required viewing:
https://youtu.be/6BgEa1K9eXI

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Poor man's Gundy rant

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Waifu Radia posted:

I have not been a college football enjoyer for long enough (7ish years and only 2 in this forum) to have heard clemsoning before. I will memorize it and move forward. Thank you

Clemsoning is adjacent to Pitting which is also a good thing to know. They're kinda the opposite, it's like Clemson drops a bad game to someone who has no business beating them now and then (or used to, things have changed), but Pitting is absolutely topical. Where Pitt has no business beating someone way better than them but will then lose next week to an FCS school or something.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Grittybeard posted:

Clemsoning is adjacent to Pitting which is also a good thing to know. They're kinda the opposite, it's like Clemson drops a bad game to someone who has no business beating them now and then (or used to, things have changed), but Pitting is absolutely topical. Where Pitt has no business beating someone way better than them but will then lose next week to an FCS school or something.
Yep. Pitt fans know it as The Superweapon. Losing to bad teams charges the superweapon, which is usually deployed against #2 ranked opponents at crucial points in the opponents' seasons.

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe

Grittybeard posted:

The pinnacle of this was of course 2016 when a Pitt team that would end the season losing to Northwestern at Yankee Stadium beat eventual national champion Clemson 43-42 on the road

downout
Jul 6, 2009

Like clemson clemsoning to pitt in 2016.

edit: or was that pitt pitting clemson?

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

downout posted:

Like clemson clemsoning to pitt in 2016.

edit: or was that pitt pitting clemson?

No, Pitt deserved to win it all that year but Clemsoned all their other games you see.

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt

Adun posted:

The pinnacle of this was of course 2016 when a Pitt team that would end the season losing to Northwestern at Yankee Stadium beat eventual national champion Clemson 43-42 on the road

Pinnacle was the 2007 Backyard Brawl.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

2016 Clemson won the natty anyway, lost to Pitt because of some flukey plays, plus random losses happen. IMO, that's not Clemsoning. Clemsoning is when you also get dominated by the team you're supposed to have no trouble with.

Enjoy some prime Clemsoning.

Top 10 Clemson gets trucked by a slapass NC State team because....(shrug).

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

https://twitter.com/Bstip76/status/1584513429226000389?t=rnx9jpUomRL1phzlbW9i-A&s=19

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

If I was going to be home I think I'd steal this idea for the OSU vs PSU game.

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

"We'll see how the first year goes. But people better get us now, because we're going to keep getting better and better."

Komet posted:

Hopefully by throwing out Rutgers and Nebraska.

There's no way the Big Ten cuts ties with Nebraska any time soon. Nebraska has been, will continue to be, and is a bad football team, but kicking them out of the conference would provide no economic value to the conference, which means it won't happen.

Now, if a school explicitly enabled a serial child rapist and his enablers, I would understand if that conference chose to get rid of that team.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
https://youtu.be/oDBdq04WsUM

New SEC roll call. This guy is consistently hilarious with these

lamentable dustman
Apr 13, 2007

🏆🏆🏆

Judgy Fucker posted:

Poor man's Gundy rant

Went to the natty that year and won it the next so more effect rant imo

Sir Thats Gross
May 27, 2006
https://twitter.com/vol_football/status/1584584191316221952?s=46&t=g6pD_cal6QrpaOItPtE38A

As expected by everyone

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Tickets are still over $500 each for nosebleeds for the game.

TheAlmightyFrog
Oct 7, 2007

squeeeak
My biggest hope for this weekend is that Tennessee is looking ahead to next week.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Clemsoning is long dead as a concept but its funny to see hackles raised if you mention it around homers in SC.

An old friend of mine runs a homer Clemson podcast and is pretty knowledgeable overall and invested but watching him kick into full bore defense mode anytime anyone mentions that Dabo is bad or that they were bad under Dabo until he let go of the offense. Instant switch-flipping.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Still pissed because this 100% should have been a night game.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Love a good 3PM CBS game.

Sir Thats Gross
May 27, 2006

TheAlmightyFrog posted:

My biggest hope for this weekend is that Tennessee is looking ahead to next week.

Its almost guaranteed the fan base is looking ahead. Hopefully the team isnt. Does UK have guys coming back from injuries? I hadnt heard about Rodriguez playing yet but I know hes a threat when active.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

D.N. Nation posted:

2016 Clemson won the natty anyway, lost to Pitt because of some flukey plays, plus random losses happen. IMO, that's not Clemsoning. Clemsoning is when you also get dominated by the team you're supposed to have no trouble with.

Enjoy some prime Clemsoning.

Top 10 Clemson gets trucked by a slapass NC State team because....(shrug).

prime clemsoning was when they were in a tight game with wvu in the first quarter in the orange bowl and then suddenly got outscored 56-16 in the other three because... ???

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I have friends in town this weekend who are very much not sports people so Im skipping the MSU-Michigan game. Normally that would feel painful but I think theyre gonna exorcise some demons on us. Local media is trying to make it into more of a throw the records out game but its never really been that type of rivalryDantonios teams were just better than RichRods and Hokes, and he beat Harbaugh with close to equivalent talent. The bad MSU teams always lose, except in 2020 where they were both equally terrible. It MIGHT be closer than the 21-point spread by nature, but I could easily see it being more like 40.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Adun posted:

Don't forget #2 Miami the next year! And Pitt totally broke their spirits and they lost out the rest of their season.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Mel Tucker hot seat chat begins when?

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

LLCoolJD posted:

when that buyout gets below $50 mil in 2026

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

LLCoolJD posted:

Probably depends more on how recruiting shakes out and if he changes up his coordinators. MSU is by nature an erratic program. Was that contract stupid? Probably. But they were ahead of schedule on a rebuild thanks to the portal, which happened to land them the best running back in program history for a year. They've also been decimated by injuries. If the next few years are closer to this season than 2021, they'll get Mat Ishbia on the phone to talk about that buyout.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Fifty Three posted:

Don't forget #2 Miami the next year! And Pitt totally broke their spirits and they lost out the rest of their season.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

I know what counts "for cause" is explicitly written out somewhere, but I want to see one of the schools shackled with a mega contract fire a coach for cause with cause being not winning enough football games

It would be a mega legal battle, but it would be great to watch

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

I know what counts "for cause" is explicitly written out somewhere, but I want to see one of the schools shackled with a mega contract fire a coach for cause with cause being not winning enough football games

It would be a mega legal battle, but it would be great to watch

the short answer is that labor contracts, especially ones negotiated by sports agents, are complicated and it would establish a legal precedent that a lot of athletes and entertainers would not be very happy with, and since they have actual money and power, their opinions matter

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I get why it's not but it's always been a little crazy to me that coaches can't be fired for being lovely at their job. Like that's not a "for cause" reason.

If I'm lovely at my job I get fired it's not fair!!

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Joey Freshwater posted:

I get why it's not but it's always been a little crazy to me that coaches can't be fired for being lovely at their job. Like that's not a "for cause" reason.

If I'm lovely at my job I get fired it's not fair!!

Negotiate for a better contract with your job. (unionize)

drunk leprechaun
May 7, 2007
sobriety is for the weak and the stupid

PostNouveau posted:

Negotiate for a better contract with your job. (unionize)

Yup. This is it right here. Coaches have more power, so they can get better contracts. Most of us don't have anywhere close to that sort of power, but through collective action we can come close.

Sir Thats Gross
May 27, 2006
To add to contract discussion, the strength is in unified numbers.

Source: am a card carrying union member

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
This season is lost, but next season might be good if Drink swallows his pride and hires someone who knows how to run an offense

https://twitter.com/PowerMizzoucom/status/1584957443129253888

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

:hmmyes:

God that game ruled, I'm so glad I witnessed it in person. Just an absolutely gallows humor tailgate in an empty parking lot expecting to lose by 40 and LOL nope let's go get hammered to celebrate

TheAlmightyFrog
Oct 7, 2007

squeeeak

Sir Thats Gross posted:

It’s almost guaranteed the fan base is looking ahead. Hopefully the team isn’t. Does UK have guys coming back from injuries? I hadn’t heard about Rodriguez playing yet but I know he’s a threat when active.

Getting a starting tackle and receiver back. Rodriguez has been back a couple games, ran 30 times for 196 yds and 2 TDs against Mississippi St, but I don't think the game plan will allow for that against Tennessee. The O line played better last game, and they just need to give Levis time to throw and attack the Vols defense. That and the Cats defense needs to really step up. They've been elite so far this season and just shut down a Leach offense that tore them apart last year. Tennessee did too last year, so getting a turnover or two will be necessary for Kentucky to win. Limiting possessions and keeping the score low will be key.

Kentucky has had too many missed opportunities when they've been clearly better than Tennessee the last few years, and I've predicted this as a loss since before the season. I do think there is a chance Kentucky can win, but a lot of things need to go right, and that just doesn't seem to happen against Tennessee.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Joey Freshwater posted:

Looks like Tennessee is toying with more alternates. The Blacks are likely gonna be worn this weekend vs Kentucky for a Halloween theme. Its also being said that itll be the last time the do the Dark Mode stuff.

No clue on the orange helmets

https://twitter.com/CfieldsVFL/status/1584393814680039425?s=20&t=CLOt_Xxj-TYRVDLH7dG02Q

ALL PUMPKIN UNIS DO IT COWARDS

BEEN YELLING FOR YEARS FOR THE INVERSE HELMET

black unis are whatever, don't need em, the smoky greys are a good and appropriate alternate. But i wont lie when Kiffykins rolled out of the tunnel in the black jerseys, that was a good game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Aggie players were 4/20ing it up in the SCar guest locker room. Also general dog may have been suspended? I cant tell if the MSN article is a good or they are just that loving weird.