Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

The Modern Leper posted:

I think the point being raised is that, absolutely, you can connect with those themes in the new Hellraiser, but a) it's not a return to form (unless we specifically mean "low budget horror movie that surprisingly punches above its weight"), and b) even recognizing those themes does not mean that you necessarily think they were handled effectively, or that the world of Hellraiser is the place to do it.

I'm not super invested in the Hellraiser lore, but my understanding is that one concept has been that it's not the hands that open the box, but the desire. It's interesting to retell it as an addiction story (that your addiction directly harms others around you, and that ending the cycle is a literal choice between self-destruction and living with the harm you've already caused), but I can understand how that would feel at odds with the whole point of the series (or the good entries) to date.

HR was a solid 90 minutes "rainy afternoon" movie, and it was nice to see that guy from ER getting work. Prey was still the better resurrection of an otherwise played out 80s franchise, imho.

EDIT: Holy poo poo, this was a 2 hour flick.

I recently watched the first hellraiser and 90% of it is closeups of sweaty unattractive people. (My screen was on don’t worry)

Maybe the sequels expanded on the Desire thing, but in the original the innocent daughter opens the box and is almost kidnapped by the cenobites, despite the fact that she just accidentally ‘solved’ it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Also I'm pretty sure there's a sex scene in New Hellraiser so it's not totally sexless.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Tagichatn posted:

Also I'm pretty sure there's a sex scene in New Hellraiser so it's not totally sexless.

it's missionary

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Maybe they learned their lesson with Westworld.

Considering the firefight, it was season 2 westworld levels of stupid. Ah yes, I am in a special forces team, let us group up and walk slowly in a clearing through the woods, we don't need cover, that always works!

Also: "They hacked us back!"

Come on.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
Also very experienced team going to do a spot wet work, guided by very knowledgeable forces from the future, did zero prep work? Who is this mystery man we know literally everything about, and his camping buddies, who we also know literally everything about. Should the bounty offerers let the bounty huntering special forces mooks know about this group or that they are about to get seriously wrekt?

Nah fam, let it play, epic bants.

I conclude that $9m is small beer in 2032 and the hit team were z list cosplayers who hosed about. Future henchman knows nothing about 2032. Otherwise :psyduck:

Collateral fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Oct 25, 2022

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
I thought the firefight was fine. I wasn't creaming my jeans about it and it did the "director doesn't know how to direct action" thing of showing a guy shooting, then cutting to a guy getting hit and falling over, but it wasn't maliciously stupid.

Also there's no reason why the antagonist special forces team or the bad guys from Future London would know anything about Burton and his buds beyond being ex-military themselves. Nothing about some outskirts ex-vets would show up in a search 70 years later. And Burton and his buds did almost get chewed up, only a clutch flank from a lucky arrival saved them.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
Love is blind US s3 officially hits the point where at least half the cast is just there to get instafamous and the casting director has clearly abandoned the premise of the show in favor of casting for max drama. It's not so bad it's good, it's just completely boring in how transparently pointless it all is. There's nothing compelling about it at all.

mutantIke
Oct 24, 2022

Born in '04
Certified Zoomer
Not a terribly original observation but I feel like if you name a TV show "Love Is Blind" and it's not about dating while blind, you are evil. Also, it should be hosted by Tommy Wiseau

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Papercut posted:

Love is blind US s3 officially hits the point where at least half the cast is just there to get instafamous and the casting director has clearly abandoned the premise of the show in favor of casting for max drama. It's not so bad it's good, it's just completely boring in how transparently pointless it all is. There's nothing compelling about it at all.

Yea it's kind of lame. At least Love at First Sight they give them some therapy to try and make the couples work. This show just lets people flounder and then just wallows in the drama. FBoy Island is the trash I crave but even they succumbed to reusing season 1 favorites

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

George H.W. oval office posted:

Yea it's kind of lame. At least Love at First Sight they give them some therapy to try and make the couples work. This show just lets people flounder and then just wallows in the drama. FBoy Island is the trash I crave but even they succumbed to reusing season 1 favorites

There's also the weird meta scene where one of the contestants is putting in eye drops to make it look like he's crying. It's not clear if he thinks the producers will cut the eye drops part to make it look genuine, or if he's trying to be some sort of saboteur trolling the show? And it's not clear if the producers realize that by including it, they make him look like an rear end in a top hat but they also completely break the illusion that the show is a genuine effort at love? Everyone comes out looking like assholes.

Papercut fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Oct 25, 2022

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Papercut posted:

There's also the weird meta scene where one of the contestants is putting in eye drops to make it look like he's crying. It's not clear if he thinks the producers will cut the eye drops part to make it look genuine, or if he's trying to be some sort of saboteur trolling the show? And it's not clear if realize that by including it, they make him look like an rear end in a top hat but they also completely break the illusion that the show is a genuine effort at love? Everyone comes out looking like assholes.

*works out while reading this post*

SK is the only likeable person and I kinda feel bad for him getting tied up in a show that is not doing him any favors.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
Well, the series finale of The Patient was a frustrating one, although I don't see how it could have ended any differently. I suppose I was hoping for some sort of heroic escape or rescue, but that would be against the story they were trying to tell.

While well acted, it was a disappointing follow up to the phenomenal The Americans. I still maintain that this would have made a better movie under 2 hours, than a 5 hour tv-series.

Nihonniboku fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Oct 25, 2022

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

George H.W. oval office posted:

*works out while reading this post*

SK is the only likeable person and I kinda feel bad for him getting tied up in a show that is not doing him any favors.

Yeah agreed, he's the one seemingly real chill person and he drew the short stick of falling for the "partner who will pretend to be interested for as long as they can stay on the show"

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

A fat guy, a watermelon, and a stack of magazines?
Family.
These new episodes of Unsolved Mysteries are so bad and it's really disappointing. Is it that hard to find a mystery that is actually a mystery?

Two of the four episodes I watched just feel like family members unable to accept how their loved ones died.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
That is what most of the original run is too, lots of 'random' killings and disappearances that sadly turn out to be suicides. There's only a few ghost/alien/big foot stories even if that's what is remembered best.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Papercut posted:

There's also the weird meta scene where one of the contestants is putting in eye drops to make it look like he's crying. It's not clear if he thinks the producers will cut the eye drops part to make it look genuine, or if he's trying to be some sort of saboteur trolling the show? And it's not clear if the producers realize that by including it, they make him look like an rear end in a top hat but they also completely break the illusion that the show is a genuine effort at love? Everyone comes out looking like assholes.

https://twitter.com/aidanthereup/st...ls-of-this-week

mystes
May 31, 2006

lol that's so weird

mutantIke
Oct 24, 2022

Born in '04
Certified Zoomer
His eyes were totally just hurting guys. That's all it was. His eyes were dry because of all the crying he did off camera

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
reality shows lol

Big Mouth Billy Basshole
Jun 18, 2007

Fun Shoe
Barbarian is streaming on hbo max, and is a real creepy good time.

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:

isaboo posted:

isn't the current / most recent Westworld season better? Seems like I saw that mentioned somewhere, but like others I gave up after S2 was over.

But I'll give Peripheral another couple episodes, I guess.

just started the most recent season after going through a gritty season 3. i like it so far but i can't watch it back to back like i did with first two seasons.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Big Mouth Billy Basshole posted:

Oh hell yeah, thanks for the heads up.

mutantIke
Oct 24, 2022

Born in '04
Certified Zoomer
Wyrm just came out on Hulu. One of those high-concept indie comedies that uses sci-fi trappings to tell a pretty basic story. Director did that "Moonshot" movie that was wiped from existence by Zaslav's goons. A friend saw it at a film fest a few years ago and has been raving about it forever - gonna watch it just to shut them up.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Does it have jump scares? I can't handle that poo poo.

mutantIke
Oct 24, 2022

Born in '04
Certified Zoomer
Off the top of my head, there's none for the first hour and then one really funny one. After that, there might be a few? Only the big spoiler-y one sticks in my mind (because it's really funny).

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
reboot is so drat good (the one with judy greer and keegan key)

the bear is also really good

If you have Hulu don't sleep on em

Big Mouth Billy Basshole
Jun 18, 2007

Fun Shoe

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Does it have jump scares? I can't handle that poo poo.

There's some throughout but I didn't find them too bad. I'm pretty jumpy, and there's definitely tense moments, but I made it through all right.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
I liked Barbarian solid but I really appreciated the "nope" moment, so her deciding to go in was kinda disappointing. I get it, that's where the plot has to go, but I actually liked all the tension building and red herrings and then it's just like Here's a Monster From Rec! and an extended Justin Long storyline. Preferred the first chunk.
Still, fun movie, well directed.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Nihonniboku posted:

Well, the series finale of The Patient was a frustrating one, although I don't see how it could have ended any differently. I suppose I was hoping for some sort of heroic escape or rescue, but that would be against the story they were trying to tell.

While well acted, it was a disappointing follow up to the phenomenal The Americans. I still maintain that this would have made a better movie under 2 hours, than a 5 hour tv-series.

I thought the ending and the show in general was good. Not that it’s over I think it’s easier to recommend as a binge instead of a weekly watch.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

There's some throughout but I didn't find them too bad. I'm pretty jumpy, and there's definitely tense moments, but I made it through all right.
Okay I'll probably give it a try but "doesthedogdie.com" says that the movie has "many many jumpscares" so I'm kind of worried :(

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Punkin Spunkin posted:

I liked Barbarian solid but I really appreciated the "nope" moment, so her deciding to go in was kinda disappointing. I get it, that's where the plot has to go, but I actually liked all the tension building and red herrings and then it's just like Here's a Monster From Rec! and an extended Justin Long storyline. Preferred the first chunk.
Still, fun movie, well directed.

Yeah I'd call it a good movie and it was a really fun watch but you have to basically accept that all the people in this world are idiots

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

precision posted:

reboot is so drat good (the one with judy greer and keegan key)

the bear is also really good

If you have Hulu don't sleep on em

I watched the first episode of reboot and I was struck by how little comedy it had

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Okay I'll probably give it a try but "doesthedogdie.com" says that the movie has "many many jumpscares" so I'm kind of worried :(
I watched Barbarian. Not horrible but I didn't love it, and there were definitely some jump scares, mostly in the first half. I appreciated the humor but there wasn't much of it, and beyond that it didn't have anything except horror, and I don't think I'm a fan of horror for horror's sake. I want it to be about something interesting, or to have compelling characters, or whatever. This was just a thrill ride and I'm too much of a wuss to enjoy horror thrill rides. I recommend it if you're a horror fan but otherwise I'd say you can safely skip it.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Shageletic posted:

I watched the first episode of reboot and I was struck by how little comedy it had

It does get funnier. I never thought I'd be able to laugh at Paul Reiser playing himself but here we are

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

Family.

isaboo posted:

isn't the current / most recent Westworld season better? Seems like I saw that mentioned somewhere, but like others I gave up after S2 was over.

But I'll give Peripheral another couple episodes, I guess.

I thought S4 put the series back on track after S3 was kind of scattered. They pared down the cast and had a more focused story, and they also took some wild swings that I enjoyed. I like it when a science fiction show really goes for it, and S4 did.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

precision posted:

It does get funnier. I never thought I'd be able to laugh at Paul Reiser playing himself but here we are

I'll give it a couple more eps

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
I wouldn't call anything in Barbarian a jump scare, at least that I can remember. Stuff always shows up slowly off in the distance and is creepy, but when I think jump scares I think like the midnight club having tons of instant cuts to up close ghost shots.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Barbarian was pretty good, with some decent misdirects. There are a handful of marginal jump scares, but only one that really comes out of nowhere (and that one is funny and kinda telegraphed too).

Biggest laugh for me was when Justin Long pulled out the tape measure

Enos Cabell fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Oct 26, 2022

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

Family.
Is AMC+ the worst of the streaming services? I've never had so many problems trying to watch stuff with other apps. AMC+ can't seem to keep track of where I am in a series and in some instances the episodes available are different if I'm using the app or accessing it through the browser. Just terribly designed top to bottom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Papercut posted:

I wouldn't call anything in Barbarian a jump scare, at least that I can remember. Stuff always shows up slowly off in the distance and is creepy, but when I think jump scares I think like the midnight club having tons of instant cuts to up close ghost shots.
Like 10 minutes in (if that) there's a jump scare when the guy accidentally sneaks up behind her and from that point forward there are a few more, especially in the first half of the movie. Maybe for horror-heads they're pretty minimal but I mostly skip horror movies with jump scares because they gently caress me up so for me they were pretty scary.