Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Steve Yun posted:

I would like more explanation on what this problem is because I was thinking about getting the super
The way you adjust the cut width for the standard is a single peg that you screw in or out. The super is wider so had two, but if they were screwed to different lengths your cut widths would end up wider on the left side than the right side (for example). So getting it right after changing cut widths required fiddling. The super now appears to have one large dial to determine cut width so I assume it's no longer an issue. Even tempts me to upgrade tbqh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Steve Yun posted:

My 10 year old cuisinart just died. I’m crying about it because it’s one of the last food processors with no safety features. Anyone know of one that doesn’t have annoying chute safety features?

Esit: nevermind it turned on again. Not sure what happened

Ramsay brought up the overheating thing but I also wanted to add that a failing capacitor behaves like that. If you continue to have issues with it I would see if it's easy to pop the base off or otherwise expose the electronics. There's a good chance that there's a visible failed solder joint, blown cap, worn down contact switch, etc.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Ty for the suggestions all. I'll probably set aside an expensive mando for Christmas and probably get a cheap handheld oxo in the meantime.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Good lord benriners skyrocketed

They used to be $35 and now they’re double that? And the super is $109, I paid $120 for my bron 7 years ago!

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Steve Yun posted:

Good lord benriners skyrocketed

They used to be $35 and now they’re double that? And the super is $109, I paid $120 for my bron 7 years ago!

Its an unfortunate necessity due to greedy motherfuckers inflation

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

Borsche69 posted:

Ty for the suggestions all. I'll probably set aside an expensive mando for Christmas and probably get a cheap handheld oxo in the meantime.

I got an Oxo recently and the blade was literally as dull as a butterknife. I couldn't believe it. It sharpened okay tho.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
The bron is nice and sharp out of the box but the blade can’t be removed/replaced and it seems difficult to get a sharpener at it. A couple hard pumpkin stems could do it in

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

aw frig aw dang it posted:

I got an Oxo recently and the blade was literally as dull as a butterknife. I couldn't believe it. It sharpened okay tho.

Oh dang, that's a shame. Maybe I'll just wait for christmas straight up. It's not like I'm gonna make potato gratin or whatever for the upcoming holidays that would almost necessitate having one

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

aw frig aw dang it posted:

I had the white plastic Oxo that at one point was recommended by various sites (can't remember if ATK liked it). It sucked. Not sharp enough and cleaning was a massive pain.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.
Does anyone have suggestions for hooks to hang all clad or cast iron pans from?

I don’t want one of those bars you put hooks on I want to just drill holes in my kitchen.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

pseudanonymous posted:

I don’t want one of those bars you put hooks on I want to just drill holes in my kitchen.

I just use regular stainless hooks. whatever's in that section at the hardware store. I've got a bunch of mugs up on mug hooks, and then a heavier hook for an enameled cast iron thing.

drill a tiny pilot hole first, probably.

fake edit:

these guys, but some of the ones I use have a horizontal bend at the tip of the hook

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

pseudanonymous posted:

I put in a steel closet rod between two cabinets, got steel curtain rings from bed bath and beyond and hooks from IKEA. I used pliers to tighten the hooks a little around the curtain rings. I love having my pans face the same way

If you’re going to put screw hooks into the wall directly, make sure to only screw them into the wall where they have studs and use screw hooks that are long enough to reach the wood beams

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

I'm trying to find some airtight (or really pantry-moth tight) storage containers for flour/sugar. I'd like ones with a flip-up lid hinged to the base for easy one-handed operation. I used to have some like this but I am having a really hard time anything like them large enough to hold a 5#bag of flour:

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Steve Yun posted:

I put in a steel closet rod between two cabinets, got steel curtain rings from bed bath and beyond and hooks from IKEA. I used pliers to tighten the hooks a little around the curtain rings. I love having my pans face the same way

If you’re going to put screw hooks into the wall directly, make sure to only screw them into the wall where they have studs and use screw hooks that are long enough to reach the wood beams

I did this in our spare closet and had it functional for about two weeks before it got taken over by kid outfits that didn't fit in his dresser. One day.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Wide shot. I used different sized rings and hooks to make sure each pan is able to nest into each other

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

I'm trying to find some airtight (or really pantry-moth tight) storage containers for flour/sugar. I'd like ones with a flip-up lid hinged to the base for easy one-handed operation. I used to have some like this but I am having a really hard time anything like them large enough to hold a 5#bag of flour:

Le Parfait makes the largest flip-up jars I'm aware of. I don't think the 3L will quite accommodate a 5LB bag of flour, however the overflow is small enough that 1 loaf of bread will allow it to fit.

Edit: Largest glass jars.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Bed Bath & Beyond has gallon sized ones by Oggi but they’re made of acrylic if you don’t mind

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Steve Yun posted:

Bed Bath & Beyond has gallon sized ones by Oggi but they’re made of acrylic if you don’t mind

Thanks, Oggi is the keyword I was missing. Is there a reason I should mind acrylic?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Thanks, Oggi is the keyword I was missing. Is there a reason I should mind acrylic?

If you tap it, it won’t make the satisfying dink dink sound

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

I have one of those for sugar and it holds all but about a cup of sugar from a standard sugar bag, which is maddening to me.

I used to have some oxo pop containers (whose lids could be removed one handed) that I really liked. The two I had were sized for a bag of flour and a bag of sugar.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Is there any functional difference between a toaster over that has convection function and an air fry function? I'd like to get a compact one some time soon, which limits my size options. Breville 's Smart Oven Compact Convection doesn't advertise any air fry functionality, but would it be that different if I just had the food in an air fry basket with the convection on?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Most convection ovens give you radiant heat as well as convected heat, as the element is on the bottom. The air fryers I’ve seen have the element separated from the food so it only gets convected heat. I have no idea how those toaster ovens with air fryer functionality work, but they could possibly have another element on the back that is shielded with a fan blowing over it.

That said, even if the above is true, I can’t imagine the end result is that much different. You may just have to worry about burning on the bottom that you don’t with a true air fryer.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Fart Car '97 posted:

Is there any functional difference between a toaster over that has convection function and an air fry function? I'd like to get a compact one some time soon, which limits my size options. Breville 's Smart Oven Compact Convection doesn't advertise any air fry functionality, but would it be that different if I just had the food in an air fry basket with the convection on?

Ovens labeled “air fryer” typically have faster fans than convection ovens. Breville’s air fryer oven also has a grate to maximize air flow under the food

But their convection oven and air fryer recipes for Korean chicken wings have the same 30 minute cook time. I dunno if they got lazy and copy pasted the recipe or if they both actually need 30 mins.

The air fryer version might have crispier results but I haven’t seen confirmation of it

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

I have an “air fry” Breville Smart Oven. The 860BSS. There’s a button to press for turbo fan mode and a mesh basket. The fan is on the side of the oven. I bet it edges out the pro in terms of faster convection, but i dunno. Haven’t used them side by side. The cost difference refurbished was small enough I didn’t mind being a potential marketing sucker.

I would be open to a simple experiment with someone who has a Pro version. :eng101:

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

I bought a 1965 mcm ranch house last year. I love the living room.

But the kitchen counters are a bit cramped and I had them stuffed with a microwave, oster blender, cusinart food processor, kitchenaid mixer and a krups toaster oven.

I realized I use most of it infrequently enough that it would be better storing most of it in easy reach on the top of the cabinets with the air fryer etc.. but my 2 most used appliances were the microwave and the toaster oven, neither of which were practical to move up and down constantly.

Then my microwave started undercooking food like it was getting weak and I had a $100 newegg GC to burn...

So I decided to try out a microwave/airfry/convection/broiler combo. Figured it would allow me to consolidate 3 bulky items and after GC it was only $80 for a black and decker combo.

Thus far it seems to microwave like any other 1000w microwave, I tested the airfry/convection settings reheating some leftovers and both seemed to work fine. The only thing it doesn't do that a conventional toaster oven does is toast both sides of bread since it only has coils on top.

Not a concern for me as I have a vintage Sunbeam radiant toaster for that. The space savings made a huge difference and gave me back so much counter area.

Only complaint I have is that the manual is hot garbage and only really explains microwave cooking so the other modes are a mystery. I figured it was probably just the black and decker and decided to checked out the manual for a similar toshiba unit and the manuals are pretty much identical aside from the cover page so I think it must be one chinese factory pumping out all the different brands. I've got enough experience with a microwave/air fryer/convection oven to figure it out but annoying to have to.

Walmart has Galanz micro/airfryer/oven units starting at $100 if anyone else wants to experiment.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

I think I've settled on the Breville Smart Oven Compact Convection, I think I'd rather have the consistency/quality of the Breville over the air fry function of some of the others I was looking at, and if the convection is 90% as good as air frying anyways that's cool.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7157214916527541546

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Girl only has one utensil in her whole kitchen

https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7158593565503884586

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Might as well sand down the seal on concrete at that point

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
when the only tool you have is a spoon, every problem looks like a can

100% Dundee
Oct 11, 2004
All this talk about roasting chickens and such over the last few pages made me realize that I do not have a decent roasting pan/roasting rack type situation at all. I have plenty of sheet pans and a few cast iron pans that I typically use when I roast things or just generally bake items, but I think it might be a good thing to have.

Is there a preferred or suggested roasting pan/rack that people here use and love? Realistically it would probably only ever used for chickens and larger cuts of beef, vegetables, etc so I don't think I need anything too gigantic as I never plan on doing a turkey or anything that huge.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

E. Misread last post.

Brother Tadger fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Nov 1, 2022

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
I think we just had this discussion a few pages back. Don't bother, use a sheet pan with a rack on it.

e: two weeks ago

Anne Whateley fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Nov 1, 2022

Stanley Tucheetos
May 15, 2012

I'm looking for a portable induction burner and was wondering what the current go to is.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

I tried the Duxtop and the NuWave and much preferred the latter, surprisingly lived up to its infomercial style hype. Duxtop lacked power and did that buzzing on some of my pans.

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

BrianBoitano posted:

I tried the Duxtop and the NuWave and much preferred the latter, surprisingly lived up to its infomercial style hype. Duxtop lacked power and did that buzzing on some of my pans.

I also had a nuwave and it’s totally fine, no complaints. It doesn’t have the wattage to put a really good sear on a steak but does most other stuff pretty well. I’ve even used it as a slow cooker with a dutch oven on top.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Any of you guys own a Zojirushi/Tiger water boiler? How do you guys like it? Any downsides to owning one?

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

obi_ant posted:

Any of you guys own a Zojirushi/Tiger water boiler? How do you guys like it? Any downsides to owning one?

I owned a Zoji one in the past and it was nice + worked great but I didn't end up using it enough to take it with me when I moved. If you drink a lot of tea or otherwise use a lot of boiled water day-to-day then it's probably going to be rad to have.

As far as downsides, you'll have to descale it about as often as you would a coffee maker or an electric kettle.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

obi_ant posted:

Refilling it is kind of a pain. Your water is invariably going to be transported to the boiler, unless you're fancy and you've got one of those stove spigots and you can slide the boiler over along the counter over to it and then slide it back. Unplugging it to move it to your water dispensing apparatus is annoying at best, especially if your model, like mine, had an attached power cord and not one that could disconnect and leave the other end stuck in the outlet, dangerous at worst, because you gotta make sure you don't forget to shut off the water and overflow the thing and have to dry it off before you turn it back on.

IMO, you get one if you're the kind of person that drinks tea, and nothing but tea.

edit: Also, I really hate how the buttons feel after a year or so of usage, assuming you have one with an electric pump instead of manual.

Between everything I just said, and how often I actually have a need for hot water, was the point I began to see the value of a western-style electric kettle. I can lift the carafe off the base, stick the thing into the sink under the faucet, fill it up, dry off the socket before dropping it back on the base, hit the button, and busy myself with something else while I wait for it to boil.... and it will boil faster than my gas stove. I didn't believe it, but the Technology Connections video drove it home. As a non-drinker-of-coffee, I swear by the electric kettle.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Nov 7, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teraflame
Jan 7, 2009
This timestick trio thing is garbage! Buttons are way too hard to press, needs an obscure coin battery, cant turn it off to save power.. how did websites recommend this?

At least the magnet is strong. But yeah I cannot find a perfect quality timer anywhere.