Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Schwab is good unless you need physical branch services. Zero ATM fees and other banks fees are covered. Also good for foreign transactions. I’m a huge fan.

I'm thinking of replacing my big megabank with either a credit union or a different checking account. Do they have meaningful two factor for their website?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Fidelity does. With some hoops it's even Authy compatible. Totp no sms fallback.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Fezziwig posted:

If it makes you feel better, I believe they have 30 days where you can continue to send payments to your original servicer. They are required to forward payment and it cannot be considered late.

H110Hawk posted:

Pay your old company. If you never get anything inside of October call around.

Can't make a payment on the account through the old company. Called the number for the new company and they won't have access to my account information until October 7. Allegedly i have 60 days where payments won't be considered late, which fine whatever that's good.

My biggest concern is now that I have quarterly taxes paid from escrow due by November 1. Not particularly confident they are going to be paid on time.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay
My escrow pays late enough every time that I get a delinquent tax letter from the city/county every year, but it does always go through with no late penalty.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Not sure the best thread to ask but hey, I'll give it a shot.

My best friend from high school (90s) invited me to his kid's Bar Mitzvah. I can't make it (different state) but want to send a gift. What's the going rate for that these days? $50? $100? Golden coins?

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

$50 seems good.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
I think you want a multiple of 18. $54 or $36 but honestly nothing is going to cause offense.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Medullah posted:

Not sure the best thread to ask but hey, I'll give it a shot.

My best friend from high school (90s) invited me to his kid's Bar Mitzvah. I can't make it (different state) but want to send a gift. What's the going rate for that these days? $50? $100? Golden coins?

A golden ticket to a recluse’s secret chocolate factory.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Duckman2008 posted:

A golden ticket to a recluse’s secret chocolate factory.

"Dad I got a melted Twix bar in the mail from Uncle Rob"

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

H110Hawk posted:

I think you want a multiple of 18. $54 or $36 but honestly nothing is going to cause offense.

(Editor's note - this is not because 18 is when you become an adult. Bar mitzvah's are customarily at 13 and bat mitzvahs are 12 or 13, but the gematria ((numerical equivalent given to a Hebrew word)) for the word 'Life' is the number 18.)

$234 is the way to go imho

Also if it's even the slightest bit possible for you to make it, you should go! These parties are awesome and can mean a LOT to the father and/or son

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

(Editor's note - this is not because 18 is when you become an adult. Bar mitzvah's are customarily at 13 and bat mitzvahs are 12 or 13, but the gematria ((numerical equivalent given to a Hebrew word)) for the word 'Life' is the number 18.)

$234 is the way to go imho

Also if it's even the slightest bit possible for you to make it, you should go! These parties are awesome and can mean a LOT to the father and/or son

Wish I could but it's in MN and I'm in MI, and already using some vacation time this month.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Medullah posted:

Wish I could but it's in MN and I'm in MI, and already using some vacation time this month.

That's understandable :-) And none of my business, either, but I just think they kick a lot of rear end, so on the off chance you were skipping because it sounded like a 13 Year Old's Birthday Party I was gonna say you should go.

But also I just remembered COVID is a thing too and I bet that puts a damper on things

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

That's understandable :-) And none of my business, either, but I just think they kick a lot of rear end, so on the off chance you were skipping because it sounded like a 13 Year Old's Birthday Party I was gonna say you should go.

But also I just remembered COVID is a thing too and I bet that puts a damper on things

Oh no I'd love to go and maybe if I'd had more than a month's notice I could have planned accordingly :D But I'm going to Vegas for a work conference next week and decided to stretch it a few personal days since I haven't had a vacation in years so it would be a challenge.

Now I just need to be BFC responsible when I'm there and not spend all my money on hookers and blow.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Medullah posted:

Now I just need to be BFC responsible when I'm there and not spend all my money on hookers and blow.

Do some blow, work harder and faster, earn yourself some more money.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Uthor posted:

Do some blow, work harder and faster, earn yourself some more money.

I already found the #1 money saving hack, I don't have kids.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
Hello friends,

what are the pros and cons of putting a big chunk of my savings into Vanguard's money market fund (VMFXX) versus keeping it in a high yield savings account (Ally, paying about 2.25)?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Pron on VHS posted:

Hello friends,

what are the pros and cons of putting a big chunk of my savings into Vanguard's money market fund (VMFXX) versus keeping it in a high yield savings account (Ally, paying about 2.25)?

what are you intending to do with the money

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

what are you intending to do with the money

Have it sit and earn interest. Want to keep it liquid and in a conservative place

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Pron on VHS posted:

Have it sit and earn interest. Want to keep it liquid and in a conservative place

This is obviously gonna sound super pedantic and annoying, but you need a goal for the money. All money does is help you achieve a goal, whether pursuit of pleasure or avoidance of pain - emergency fund, buying a house, saving for retirement, saving for a trip to Australia, paying for a wedding, buying a car, bridging a six month funemployment period, whatever the gently caress. Until you decide what you want to achieve with the money, it's hard to determine what vehicle to park it in. You pay a price for liquidity, and you pay a price to reduce risk. Only your goals with the money will determine if it makes sense to do this.

Both your proposals will be pretty safe. HYSAs are more conservative; there's a known rate of return. Money market funds invest in short term securities so they are somewhat more volatile. There are also inflation protected funds of various kinds if preserving principal is your main goal. If you are willing to give up immediate liquidity in line with your goals there are also direct purchases of various bonds, or I-Bonds up to $10K per year.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
I suppose this money is part of my emergency fund. I have some dependents in my extended
family that I take care of so these funds that I want to put in Vanguard money market need to be liquid, but I also want it to earn the best possible interest rate while remaining in a liquid spot. That’s why I figured VMFXX would be a better idea than Ally, as the formers 7 day SEC yield beats out Ally’s rate, but I do realize the money market yield can change more rapidly.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

This is obviously gonna sound super pedantic and annoying, but you need a goal for the money. All money does is help you achieve a goal, whether pursuit of pleasure or avoidance of pain - emergency fund, buying a house, saving for retirement, saving for a trip to Australia, paying for a wedding, buying a car, bridging a six month funemployment period, whatever the gently caress. Until you decide what you want to achieve with the money, it's hard to determine what vehicle to park it in. You pay a price for liquidity, and you pay a price to reduce risk. Only your goals with the money will determine if it makes sense to do this.

Both your proposals will be pretty safe. HYSAs are more conservative; there's a known rate of return. Money market funds invest in short term securities so they are somewhat more volatile. There are also inflation protected funds of various kinds if preserving principal is your main goal. If you are willing to give up immediate liquidity in line with your goals there are also direct purchases of various bonds, or I-Bonds up to $10K per year.

I've heard I-Bonds are highly recommended right now, but I don't know much about them.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Medullah posted:

I've heard I-Bonds are highly recommended right now, but I don't know much about them.

Basically, it's a 30 year bond with a resetting interest rate that is designed to match inflation, which resets semianually based on your purchase date. You can only buy $10K of them per year, and you must hold them for 12 months minimum. They are liquid (but over a span of days), but if you redeem the I-Bond within five years you forfeit 3 months of interest.

They're mostly interesting right now because inflation is high, which crushes real returns to other asset classes. I think they're quite useful in general as a conservative bond portion of a long term investment portfolio. People are really in to using them for emergency funds now, which I don't really agree with since I don't consider them to be fully liquid, but opinions vary there.

edit: you also have to buy them through the worst website in human history, TreasuryDirect

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Pron on VHS posted:

I suppose this money is part of my emergency fund. I have some dependents in my extended
family that I take care of so these funds that I want to put in Vanguard money market need to be liquid, but I also want it to earn the best possible interest rate while remaining in a liquid spot. That’s why I figured VMFXX would be a better idea than Ally, as the formers 7 day SEC yield beats out Ally’s rate, but I do realize the money market yield can change more rapidly.

I had similar thoughts for my emergency fund in this thread or another when interest rates were much lower and what I recall being told was basically: your emergency fund doesn't exist to make money. It exists so if the worst happens, you are better off.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Ive shifted over 2/3 of my emergency savings to I-Bonds.

Withdrawals will take about 3-5 business days, which is liquid enough for me. But its worth it in my opinion to have your money retain its purchasing power for decades at a time.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

man you are comfortable with lot less emergency $ than me!

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

My emergency fund is enough to cover a lean 6 months of expenses, its at $30k.

I've yet to have an emergency where I need more than $10k right away. The rest can stay in I-Bonds and not get eaten away at by inflation.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

I just changed jobs and my new retirement plan has a VTSAX with a 0.04% expense ratio.

My old plan has VSMPX with a 0.02% expense ratio. I should just leave what I have in the old plan rather than rolling it over, right?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

I’d probably pay 2 bps to have all my poo poo in one account. Keep in mind 2 bps is $20 per $100k invested. It’s pretty drat small.

You should also check on your old plan. Sometimes non-employees have to pay some administrative fees.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I’d probably pay 2 bps to have all my poo poo in one account. Keep in mind 2 bps is $20 per $100k invested. It’s pretty drat small.

You should also check on your old plan. Sometimes non-employees have to pay some administrative fees.

:same:

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
Is there any way to unhide Mint transactions, or change the hiding rules, or something?

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
I entered the workforce for the first time, and so with that could use some advice for personal finance and poo poo. Lucky enough to enter in a very comfortable position. I could really use some advice for budgetting and getting started planning my personal economy.

My savings are ~$10500. My debt is ~$20,000 in student loans at a low interest.

I make ~$39,500 net a year. Rent + utilities + internet + phone plan + insurance are ~$9200/year total (cheap apartment + lots of insurances covered at work). European, so no real healthcare expenses worth noting. I use an old car, expenses maybe $1,000/year because I'm lucky enough that it's in my mom's name and she pays insurance/maintenance atm. So it's mostly just gas costs.

I live a pretty frugal life. I am introverted and don't have a lot of leisure spending. I don't drink or smoke or consume anything expensive. I am single with no kids at the moment, no other family likely to need money (not that I would be obligated to give them anything).

What I really could use is A: a good budgeting program to help calculate my remaining variable expenses based on what I'm doing at the moment - food, hygiene, clothing, leisure. And B: advice on what to do with the remaining $, especially given the current economic situation. I want to invest a good amount of it but unsure how and where, and probably save up to buy an apartment or house (most likely apartment) eventually. Also I get ~$4k/year paid into a pension account by my employer on top of my salary, not sure if it is worth it to specifically save for pension myself or am I better off prioritizing investments as a low-liquidity use of my money.

A pointer to the right threads or tools would help. I looked for decent budgeting software on PC but it seems like everything is app-based these days, and I like to do my finances at the keyboard personally. Also lots of paid services which my cheap years as a student have made me allergic to. I grabbed Aspire Budgets on google sheets and kind of hate it at first sight, very annoying to change/edit posts and accounts combined with a US-based default profile where I have to change like 1/3rd of the poo poo in it to match my current needs...

E: I should mention, medium-term (6 - 18 months) I would also like to upgrade from my current accommodations to a less poo poo apartment. I picked it mostly because I'm new in town so I didn't want to splurge on something without knowing what to look for, the location is great in terms of being fairly close to work and in a safe family-filled neighborhood, and it came fully furnished including modern appliances and decently renovated. On the other hand it's 115 years old, drafty as poo poo, the upstairs neighbors make tons of noise, I can barely fit into the toilet which has a non-closable door and I'm parking on the street.

Insurrectionist fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Oct 21, 2022

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
So here's a dumb question. I have a HELOC with 30k of credit @6% . I also get a ton of offers for "open a checking account, keep 15k in it for 30 days and get $500". Is it feasible to just use the HELOC and churn through these? Probably it'd cost $75-100 per month in interest to have 15k floating around. Is this a thing people do?

edit: woof never mind, I can't believe I didn't notice that for all these offers, to get ~$400 you need to have a minumum of $25-35k meaning there's almost no point.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Yeah, those offers are rigged to sound good but not actually cost the company anything.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
Question that I don't immediately spot a better spot for: what's the best way to go about setting up an inheritance for a spendthrift adult in a way that prevents them from squandering it all? My grandmother's in her mid-90s and may be passing some amount of money straight to us grandkids. I've not asked about the specifics and expect it won't exceed the low to mid 5-figures for each of us, but was considering starting a conversation with her and my parents about taking steps to ensure my brother's share doesn't all vanish in a puff of smoke as soon as it reaches him like the rest of his income does.

I could just mind my own business, but I worry that his problem is already on track to becoming my business as my parents grow older. The inheritance could be a good point to start a conversation about finally forcing him towards independence, 33 years into his life. There's probably some E/N-worthy discussion there, but also curious about practical financial steps that could help set him on the right track.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Cugel the Clever posted:

Question that I don't immediately spot a better spot for: what's the best way to go about setting up an inheritance for a spendthrift adult in a way that prevents them from squandering it all? My grandmother's in her mid-90s and may be passing some amount of money straight to us grandkids. I've not asked about the specifics and expect it won't exceed the low to mid 5-figures for each of us, but was considering starting a conversation with her and my parents about taking steps to ensure my brother's share doesn't all vanish in a puff of smoke as soon as it reaches him like the rest of his income does.

I could just mind my own business, but I worry that his problem is already on track to becoming my business as my parents grow older. The inheritance could be a good point to start a conversation about finally forcing him towards independence, 33 years into his life. There's probably some E/N-worthy discussion there, but also curious about practical financial steps that could help set him on the right track.

Good conversation to have with a probate lawyer. They will probably recommend a trust, where you can either have a lawyer or you/you're parents act as trustees.

Alternatively, just leave the money to your parents and let them maintain the purse strings. If he hasn't learned to be independent by 33, I'm not sure there's much you can do. A lot of trusts will have age gates on them, but normally set to like 25 and/or 30.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Cugel the Clever posted:

what's the best way to go about setting up an inheritance for a spendthrift adult in a way that prevents them from squandering it all?

low to mid 5-figures

33 years into his life

You don't. He is allowed to be bad with money unfortunately. You also don't have to enable behavior by giving them money. Neither do your parents.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
The money is coming from their grandma in her mid-90s, at which age she may not really get the concept of research chemicals or video game hats or whatever his issue is.

I agree a trust would be the way to go if everyone is on board with it.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
Thanks all, will explore a bit further and raise the idea of the trust.

H110Hawk posted:

You also don't have to enable behavior by giving them money. Neither do your parents.
Agreed, hence the desire to foster a degree of independence which could eliminate any scenario where he might need to come around asking for it. He's not asked for any from me and I've not intention of paying out if he were to do so. I don't have any visibility into whether my parents are going beyond letting him live rent-free with them for the last decade. There'd been tentative talk from them pre-Covid about taking steps to get him to spread his wings, but the pandemic put that on hold and they've been unfortunately hesitant to pick it up again—but that's better for an E/N thread.

I have the impression that they've been reluctant to really think about steps they might take to improve things and have settled too much into the unhappy but familiar status quo themselves, so am hoping to offer some ideas that might get things moving again (even if I doubt things will ever get to a properly good state).

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
The trust just for him is going to be a source of contention. All they're going to do is be mad that someone is controlling their inheritance. By all means talk to them about it but I would strongly advise against holding it in trust. Unless they are acting out of serious mental disorder, to the point where the money could actively harm them or others, it's just his money. They can snort it all up their funko pops noses if they want to as they are an adult.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

Insurrectionist posted:

What I really could use is A: a good budgeting program to help calculate my remaining variable expenses based on what I'm doing at the moment - food, hygiene, clothing, leisure. And B: advice on what to do with the remaining $, especially given the current economic situation. I want to invest a good amount of it but unsure how and where, and probably save up to buy an apartment or house (most likely apartment) eventually. Also I get ~$4k/year paid into a pension account by my employer on top of my salary, not sure if it is worth it to specifically save for pension myself or am I better off prioritizing investments as a low-liquidity use of my money.

For budgeting programs, You Need a Budget and PocketSmith are forum favorites. Both are web based, so you can use the keyboard in a browser. It may be that a relatively simple spreadsheet will do you fine.

For long term investing, check out this thread. https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2892928

The short version is: figure out your time horizon and goals. Short term goes in something like a high yield savings account or CD. Long term goes in a mix of low cost index funds or stocks and bonds. Also, start looking into your options for tax sheltered long term savings.