Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

One of the things I do like about some of the recent shows is that the main female characters are not only more competent but also look more like normal people as well (from the original up through Arc V a lot of them were mostly cheerleaders/damsels designed to be attractive/a love interest for the male lead who would duel on occasion, some were better than others to be fair though. I think 5Ds was the only early exception to that)

Larryb fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Sep 1, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

It's just hearsay, I never actually read an interview with Kazuki Takahashi or anyone about it, but A) didn't Akiza's role in the story get reduced when they saw how popular Crow was? and B) Wasn't Luna supposed to another one of the signers or something?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

takahashi's role in 5ds was extremely minimal, he basically just did character designs.

and luna is one of the signers. youre probably thinking of leo, who originally wasn't one and that was his whole arc, but he was eventually made into one. you can tell how bizarre 5ds's writing was because lifestream dragon shows up in an opening *seventy episodes* before its actually played.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

RareAcumen posted:

It's just hearsay, I never actually read an interview with Kazuki Takahashi or anyone about it, but A) didn't Akiza's role in the story get reduced when they saw how popular Crow was? and B) Wasn't Luna supposed to another one of the signers or something?

I think you're conflating a couple different things. First off, Crow and Blackwings were very popular, so he got more of a focus, and they ALSO reduced Akiza's role in the story because Carly's voice actress was in a cult. I think those two things are true, anyway. I'm not sure why Carly needing to be removed from the story meant that Akiza's role needed to get reduced, but oh well.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Crow's popularity was part of what led to a reduced role for Akiza. She was originally supposed to be the third member of Team 5D's and Crow was originally supposed to have a big reveal as a villain / dark signer, but all that got tossed in the trash. Leo would have been revealed as the fifth signer sooner if not for that.

King of Solomon posted:

they ALSO reduced Akiza's role in the story because Carly's voice actress was in a cult. I think those two things are true, anyway. I'm not sure why Carly needing to be removed from the story meant that Akiza's role needed to get reduced, but oh well.

They reduced her role partially because of her whole thing with Psychic powers / the whole Black Rose Witch thing. After the Carly cult stuff happened they pulled way back on the mystical / magical / cult aspects of the show.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Vandar posted:

Crow's popularity was part of what led to a reduced role for Akiza. She was originally supposed to be the third member of Team 5D's and Crow was originally supposed to have a big reveal as a villain / dark signer, but all that got tossed in the trash. Leo would have been revealed as the fifth signer sooner if not for that.

They reduced her role partially because of her whole thing with Psychic powers / the whole Black Rose Witch thing. After the Carly cult stuff happened they pulled way back on the mystical / magical / cult aspects of the show.

Ah right. Either way, quite an unfortunate series of choices, it really made the series much worse than it otherwise could have been.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Endorph posted:

takahashi's role in 5ds was extremely minimal, he basically just did character designs.

and luna is one of the signers. youre probably thinking of leo, who originally wasn't one and that was his whole arc, but he was eventually made into one. you can tell how bizarre 5ds's writing was because lifestream dragon shows up in an opening *seventy episodes* before its actually played.

I probably am. I've never actually sat down and watched the entire series for any of these, it was just random episodes happening while we didn't have Ti Vo or anything to record episodes with. Like I assume all of this stuff was adapted from the manga, but no GX came after the anime according to Wikipedia at least.

King of Solomon posted:

I think you're conflating a couple different things. First off, Crow and Blackwings were very popular, so he got more of a focus, and they ALSO reduced Akiza's role in the story because Carly's voice actress was in a cult. I think those two things are true, anyway. I'm not sure why Carly needing to be removed from the story meant that Akiza's role needed to get reduced, but oh well.

That part about Carly's VA is new to me.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I really liked Carly's storyline in season 2, it's a shame they basically nixed the character after.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

RareAcumen posted:

I probably am. I've never actually sat down and watched the entire series for any of these, it was just random episodes happening while we didn't have Ti Vo or anything to record episodes with. Like I assume all of this stuff was adapted from the manga, but no GX came after the anime according to Wikipedia at least.

That part about Carly's VA is new to me.

I think the manga and anime have been completely distinct entities since GX. Which, considering the sheer filler gauntlet we needed between Battle City and Dawn of the Duel, is probably for the best.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I think sometimes people overrate the "Carly's VA was in a cult" thing as it relates to Aki. I think it's a little more likely that one guy wrote most of the first 26 episodes, then basically vanished after that and the people that picked up writing after that preferred to lean more into the more standard Yu-Gi-Oh dynamic of Yusei, Jack and Crow as the three protags, rather than the 5-man ensemble that had been set up by the early episodes. Because they are hacks.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I haven't really watched Yugioh in years at this point but randomly searching clips for a bit of nostalgic fun revealed to me they uploaded all the dubbed GX and Zexal episodes to the official YT Yugiohchannel. I'm apparently very late to learn this but I'm really happy nonetheless.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

NikkolasKing posted:

I haven't really watched Yugioh in years at this point but randomly searching clips for a bit of nostalgic fun revealed to me they uploaded all the dubbed GX and Zexal episodes to the official YT Yugiohchannel. I'm apparently very late to learn this but I'm really happy nonetheless.

Gonna get your game on and high five the sky?

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

This week may have had the funniest episode of YGO ever. Especially when they get the duel assistant for the anime and it's just the series pointing out how previous shows just had blatant cheating (creating cards when drawn (ZeXall, VRAINS) and cards being made out of a meteor (SEVENS) are pointed out as examples). And it's all for the sake of making an anime for Chupataro's redemption. Yuuhi gets very cute moments too with him getting so into making an anime in spite of Chupataro's high standards. I love this dumb cast. Probably a good moment for a break too after finishing the Rovian arc with the entire town going into space.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

That was hilariously meta and I’m glad we’re finally getting to the concept of Card Games in Space promised by the initial poster for the series

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
Technically, all card games are in space, they just don't leave the planet for it.

That last duel was weirdly fun with the 2 card slot limit.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I appreciate Go Rush's efforts in making absolutely every character a complete idiot. This episode went and corrected how Zwijo was too intelligent for this show, and now he is suitably stupid too, with Yuamu getting to be a complete dumbass for the episode too.

I'm not even being sarcastic, give me more shows where not a single character has a consistently-working brain cell, they're hilarious.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

This writing team should do every YGO series from here on, Go Rush and Sevens are some of the most consistently good incarnations of the franchise we’ve had in years

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
So I finished Season 2 of GX a few days ago. Figured I would post some thoughts on it since I did so for S1 awhile back.

Overall I liked it a lot more. Their intention up front with the start of GX was pretty clearly "let's dial things back from world-saving drama and do something lighter" and I don't know if the ratings were poor so they pivoted halfway through, or if the writers just got bored with school shenanigans or what, but the Seven Stars arc of S1 was very obviously a hastily thrown together concept. The Stars themselves didn't feel the least bit cohesive as a threat, and the less said about Kagemaru the better. S2's Society of Light plotline was thankfully set up right from the start and built up over a long period of time, which gave it some amount of weight when things started to happen with it. Saiou was a pretty fun villain overall (being voiced by Koyasu helped) and while the whole "Light of Destruction" thing was kind of poorly explained, there's enough there to be like "yeah ok sure I'll buy it I guess." While the visual of Judai's friends all getting brainwashed and recruited by a cult was interesting, I don't think they took it as far as they could have, really. The fact that Kenzan was immune to it and Shou was too much of a loser nerd dork for them to even bother made it a bit less dramatic than I was hoping it'd get, and Edo never really being aligned with the SoL kind of made it feel like they lacked a unique "Ace Duelist" or whatever since their #1 and 2 were just Manjoume and Asuka. But, these aren't dealbreakers really. Just some minor issues. The duels where Judai beats Manjoume and Asuka to undo the brainwashing were both really good, at least.

Other good stuff: pretty much everything to do with Hell Kaiser Ryou. Him losing one match to Edo and going on a complete downward spiral until he's forced into what are functionally kid-friendly deathmatches on the underground circuit, awakening to his pain kink in the process, is incredibly funny. The whole "Headmaster Samejima was Ryou's sensei who taught him how to use Cyber Dragons as a child" backstory was... bizarre and not remotely what I expected to happen but uh yeah sure okay. The duel with DARKNESS and owning his lovely nerd brother were both very good stuff, though I kind of wanted the former to be a 2-parter. I thought that would've been a good one to let breathe a little. Also, I really liked all of Edo's duels in the first half of the season, he has some fun interplay with Judai as a rival.

Stuff I thought was... less good: doing basically nothing with Edo for the second half until they remembered "oh poo poo we need to wrap up this subplot." Everything to do with DD just felt... completely last minute, half-assed, and spaghetti-on-the-wall thrown together. The way they try to tie it together with Saiou and the Light of Destruction plot is so incredibly weak, as well, I really disliked the whole thing. Also the thing with Orgene and the laser satellite felt like a weird inclusion to be honest. Like, the villain having possession of what functionally amounts to a nuclear football adds some tangible stakes beyond "If I win the card game, the world will be destroyed... somehow! Hahahaha!!" but I must ask: why does this country have a satellite with an orbital strike laser cannon pointed at the ground? Why did they apparently make it powerful enough to "destroy the world"? Why does destroying a single planet also destroy the universe in order to re-make it, as the Will of the Light asserts near the end? Why is the climactic final battle of the season between two of the worst archetypes in the history of Yu-Gi-Oh, and why is that still so loving funny to me?

Other less significant gripes: Napoleon sucks, he exists because now that Cronos has grown fond of Judai and pals, I guess the writers felt the story needed another teacher who blindly hated the Osiris Red dorm for just as unexplained reasons as Cronos in S1. Even though, no, they didn't need that, and in fact I would have preferred they not have him. The 3-way duel between him, Cronos, and Pegasus was fun but honestly not worth him being there the rest of the season. There were a number of what felt like callbacks to DM that were also kind of... lame? The episode where the Industrial Illusions card designer steals a copy of Ra was really kind of pathetic, which I guess was the point since it was about Ra being shackled and bound by his dumb field spell but eh. Still kind of a lousy episode. The real Saiou being there next to Judai as they dueled the Will of the Light... not quite as cool as Bakura and Malik vs Dark Malik. Also the field trip to Domino City felt like a weird, way-too-soon trip down memory lane. Like hey guys remember... Yugi's Grandpa!? Like, yes, yes I do.

And Misawa... jeez, man. What happened? Did the single writer who liked him leave after the Amazoness Tanya duel or something?

Anyway, on the whole I liked it a lot more than S1, the lows weren't nearly as low and the highs, while not too much higher, were more frequent, I think.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I think the thing with Seven Stars is they were trying to have their hey, let's do a simple, fun, monster of the week type story while also trying to do something serious, with more stakes. It landed a couple times like with Darkness and Camula but some of them were absolutely brutal. One of Kagemaru's assassins was a kid who doesn't know how to play the game because his servants lost to him on purpose. WHAT.

As for the weird DM fanservice stuff, that was originally gonna be a crossover movie between GX and DM with Saiou as the villain, that fell through so they stapled it into GX season 2. And eventually the movie would happen as Bonds Beyond Time.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

TriffTshngo posted:

So I finished Season 2 of GX a few days ago. Figured I would post some thoughts on it since I did so for S1 awhile back.

Overall I liked it a lot more. Their intention up front with the start of GX was pretty clearly "let's dial things back from world-saving drama and do something lighter" and I don't know if the ratings were poor so they pivoted halfway through, or if the writers just got bored with school shenanigans or what, but the Seven Stars arc of S1 was very obviously a hastily thrown together concept.

There were a number of what felt like callbacks to DM that were also kind of... lame?

So, even beyond the canceled movie, GX has a lot of issues that tie into your thoughts here. It's an original series not based on a specific manga, but that leaves the writers spending most of the series going 'uh...so now what?' Even into the fourth season, they're still not entirely sure if they want GX to be its own thing or if they want it to be a sequel to DM or what. GX does a lot of pivoting around as the writers try to figure out just what the series is, and as much as I love GX, it leaves the whole thing with a weird feeling to it.

There's one DM callback in the fourth season that really had me rolling my eyes and going 'come on guys, really?' Yugi beat one Five-Headed Dragon, right? So let's have Jaden fight TWO of them!

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Shouldve just had a 10 headed dragon

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

The main problem with the Society of Light as per other critics I've read is that our hero doesn't really...do anything to fight them. Voldemort moved onto campus and Harry just shrugged and kept on getting his game on with everybody except the Dark Lord brainwashing the school. I think this, along with the aforementioned "random country has the strongest piece of military hardware in the series" are S2's biggest flaws in terms of plot. But I also excuse it because a dinosaur fossil soul flew into space to destroy the satellite and Jaden gave the main villain of S1 a big hug. It's all very self-aware stupid fun.

S2 is absolutely the peak of GX in my opinion. I felt this was where GX found its own identity before it promptly lost it in the next season. Yeah, there are world-saving stakes and some legitimate drama with Ryo and Edo, but GX Season 2 never loses its free spirit of zaniness. S1 had this too but it was largely random and unfocused whereas S2 managed to have a more coherent plot while still never losing its absurdity. GX makes sport of the melodrama of DM.

That is, until it becomes its own melodrama in S3 and mocks Jaden for precisely the virtues which made him a compelling hero in S1 and 2. S1/2 Judai awill always be my favorite YGO MC.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Season 4 is the best because of the like 6 episode stretch which was just concluding character arcs for all of the side cast that weren't really all too important these days. Ending in a Crowler vs Jaden rematch where he is trying to keep all his students from graduating, not because he still hates them but because he cares about them too much.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

NikkolasKing posted:

The main problem with the Society of Light as per other critics I've read is that our hero doesn't really...do anything to fight them. Voldemort moved onto campus and Harry just shrugged and kept on getting his game on with everybody except the Dark Lord brainwashing the school. I think this, along with the aforementioned "random country has the strongest piece of military hardware in the series" are S2's biggest flaws in terms of plot. But I also excuse it because a dinosaur fossil soul flew into space to destroy the satellite and Jaden gave the main villain of S1 a big hug. It's all very self-aware stupid fun.

It at least fits Judai's laid back dimwit personality to not be too worried about the SoL, even if it gets kind of silly after a certain point that he's not really doing anything about all these people he knows getting brainwashed and recruited into what are clearly just a school-approved cult. I was more annoyed that they never really have Edo address it until the very end when he solves his tragic backstory motivation in two episodes and then goes to confront Saiou and get bopped to set up Judai's final boss fight. I was kind of hoping there'd either be more of him willingly working for Saiou but questioning the goal/methods and eventually bailing, or him asking what the hell's going on from the start, and then trying to figure out what happened to his old friend on his own. Instead he just sort of stands around on his yacht in the school harbor in most episodes, occasionally staring in the direction of the SoL dorm as the scene fades to Saiou monologuing about fate or whatever. His friendship with Saiou basically never amounts to anything after the first few times you see them talk to each other early in the season, except to give you a reason to care that he's possessed by a totally separate entity and not just a bad dude who got corrupted further into a total psycho like DD.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!
I feel like if you want zany ridiculous fun in a series that doesn't take itself too seriously, Season 2 is probably the best of GX for you. If you want a melodramatic character study that goes in super hard on a single character, Season 3 will be peak, because wow what a tone shift.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

I know a little bit about what's ahead, because I saw a random episode on TV one morning, deep into S3, of some wild poo poo in the middle of popping off (namely Judai turning into a villain and somehow dispatching with like 90% of the core cast and there being like 3 of them left who have to fight him to get the real Judai back. I may have that a bit wrong since these are 15 year old memories.). It's honestly the biggest reason I decided I wanted to watch GX instead of skipping it to go right to 5Ds, because that memory stuck with me so hard for all this time. I'd actually tried starting it like 8 or 9 years ago and dropped it a couple of episodes in because I just thought all the super early S1 stuff was boring.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

TriffTshngo posted:

I know a little bit about what's ahead, because I saw a random episode on TV one morning, deep into S3, of some wild poo poo in the middle of popping off (namely Judai turning into a villain and somehow dispatching with like 90% of the core cast and there being like 3 of them left who have to fight him to get the real Judai back. I may have that a bit wrong since these are 15 year old memories.). It's honestly the biggest reason I decided I wanted to watch GX instead of skipping it to go right to 5Ds, because that memory stuck with me so hard for all this time. I'd actually tried starting it like 8 or 9 years ago and dropped it a couple of episodes in because I just thought all the super early S1 stuff was boring.

I'll be interested to read your thoughts after you finish the season.

Personally, Evil Jaden isn't really my problem with S3. It's things that surround him, how it all comes about, and what is done with a few other characters. I recently listened to a long podcast criticizing Gundam Wing for being aimless and having no idea what to do with several characters. That is a criticism far more justly leveled at GX by Season 3. Ryo is basically a new character each season and to say too much more would be a spoiler but he more than anyone else epitomizes how S3 does an abrupt, unsatisfying aboutface right off a cliff.

I mentioned earlier being happy to see the GX and Zexal dubs are both free to watch on the official Yugioh YouTube channel. Zexal feels so much like GX but my opinion on its development are the complete opposite. A lotta folks detest Zexal I, finding its comedy and lighthearted tone don't really land. I mostly agree. Then Zexal II shifts things into a far more serious mode and is fairly compelling for a Yugioh sequel. I think this is because Zexal Ii was in fact built up and is nowhere near as out of left field as GX Season 3 was. Also GX was just plain funnier in its earlier, lighthearted phase.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Oct 25, 2022

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Zane is so sick.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Season 3 of GX rules so hard. Some of the best stuff in the franchise and bonus, it doesn't completely loving unravel like Arc-V and 5D's did, it actually pays all of its poo poo off in ways that are totally satisfying.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!

NikkolasKing posted:

I'll be interested to read your thoughts after you finish the season.

Personally, Evil Jaden isn't really my problem with S3. It's things that surround him, how it all comes about, and what is done with a few other characters. I recently listened to a long podcast criticizing Gundam Wing for being aimless and having no idea what to do with several characters. That is a criticism far more justly leveled at GX by Season 3. Ryo is basically a new character each season and to say too much more would be a spoiler but he more than anyone else epitomizes how S3 does an abrupt, unsatisfying aboutface right off a cliff.

I mentioned earlier being happy to see the GX and Zexal dubs are both free to watch on the official Yugioh YouTube channel. Zexal feels so much like GX but my opinion on its development are the complete opposite. A lotta folks detest Zexal I, finding its comedy and lighthearted tone don't really land. I mostly agree. Then Zexal II shifts things into a far more serious mode and is fairly compelling for a Yugioh sequel. I think this is because Zexal Ii was in fact built up and is nowhere near as out of left field as GX Season 3 was. Also GX was just plain funnier in its earlier, lighthearted phase.

I'm gonna be real, the supporting cast for GX feels kinda poo poo in every season. At best they're one note jokes, at worst they're boatloads of missed potential. Some characters (forgive my dubisms here) like Zane and Blair, are basically different people every season. Characters like Aster and Jesse get built up one season, then they're basically abandoned by the next. At least they had the courtesy to write Chumley off of the show. Cyrus never gets the hint that Jaden's moved onto a newer, better supporting cast. Bastion is a walking joke in a cast already full of punchlines. Hassleberry gives us the best moment of Yu-Gi-Oh nonsense in the entire series, and that's about it. Alexis is Present.

Maybe the only character who ends in a better place than they start is The Chazz.

I'm not gonna pretend Tea and Tristan are these amazing characters either, but at least they stay in their lane as the supporting cast. GX, on the other hand, feels like it can't decide who it wants to care about. And its a shame because, if actually given proper development, the GX crew would probably be better than most of the original cast.

The Bee fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Oct 25, 2022

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Crowler's very cool

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Ancient Gear ftw

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Crowler's very cool

poo poo, you're right. I knew I forgot someone that ruled.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Electric Phantasm posted:

Ancient Gear ftw

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Sadly, yeah, GX is very much The Judai Show. Every YGO series before Sevens has an issue where sometimes it feels no one but the protagonist matters (especially if they're women) but GX is by far the worst at it. It's a shame because the supporting cast could be good but they end up being so ignored (or treated like complete poo poo like poor Misawa) that they fail to live up to any sort of potential.

You'd think Ryo would be more pushed considering how important Cyber Dragon was to the meta back then but instead have more Neo Spacian cards, that's what's hip and cool with the kids, right? But then again, that kind of thinking gave us loving Crow in 5D's (and more importantly, Aki getting hosed over) so maybe it's better that didn't happen.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!
I mean, Zane is kind of pushed comparatively? He at least gets something to do each season, even if it means treating his character like a ping pong ball. It beats how most other characters are treated.

Like Aster. Main rival in season 2. In season 3 he shows up, respects women, and dies.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

The Bee posted:

Like Aster. Main rival in season 2. In season 3 he shows up, respects women, and dies.

I'm sure the writers are nodding their heads sagely and declaring that's what he deserves.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
The GX rival status is a faux meritocracy.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

The Bee posted:

I mean, Zane is kind of pushed comparatively? He at least gets something to do each season, even if it means treating his character like a ping pong ball. It beats how most other characters are treated.

That's because they introduced a NEW rival/best friend/love interest/clone. Jesse/Johan - another reason I hate S3. Between him and Yubel the season is about Jaden forgets all his actual friends and only cares about these two.

Aster was my favorite rival in GX.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Go Rush is so silly. Suddenly we get a tutorial about how to have a remote duel in a completely realistic way - except that it's between Earth and space. It even has latency issues. Insane.

And then it suddenly shows plot. We got our first view of The Great King of Terror. Shadowed, without talking, but considering he's served by Neil with a The☆Lukeman-style name, this is almost certainly Go Rush's version of Luke. Which, in hindsight, makes a lot of sense - who else would name themselves The Great King of Terror? Not only it has King in it, it's an insanely chuuni name.