Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
Depending on the fork aren’t bushings replaceable?
I’m pretty sure they’re part of the standard Fox overhaul

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
I don't think they're part of any of the basic services, maybe a full fork rebuild but not the 50/100 hr services afaik

pinarello dogman
Jun 17, 2013

Stanchion scratch means CSU replacement, which isn't cheap. Unless your fork is super new you might as well knock down the edges of the scratch and run it into the ground IMHO.

You can get replacement bushings but I've never heard of anyone actually doing it. Usually the whole fork would be toast if it got to that point.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

meowmeowmeowmeow posted:

I don't think they're part of any of the basic services, maybe a full fork rebuild but not the 50/100 hr services afaik

Yeah I meant rebuild. I had my fork done by fox and I’m pretty sure they did that too

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
Good to know they do a bushing replacement on afull rebuild, I've never gotten to that point before with fork wear. I've seen stanchion scratch epoxy repair kits, I'd probably try that before sending it out for a rebuild.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Well I’m not 100% sure I just think I recall them saying it included bushings :shrug:
Now I’m second guessing myself

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Levitate posted:

Well I’m not 100% sure I just think I recall them saying it included bushings :shrug:
Now I’m second guessing myself

I'm not even sure they can replace bushings without just replacing the lowers - we call them bushings but AFAIK they're not like what you'd expect, they're another softer metal or something.

VacaGrande
Dec 24, 2003
God! A red nugget! A fat egg under a dog!

JoeSchmoe posted:

Well in my neck of the woods, it was a former government minister.

https://dirtmountainbike.com/news/former-mp-ron-davies-accused-trail-sabotage-caerphilly

Hate to start on a dodgy note, but defected to the battery powered world this summer and picked up a Marin alpine trail e1. I’m getting more riding in, and the bike is surprisingly spry considering the extra weight.

This dry and sunny place cannot possibly be Wales. Look, there's almost dust!

nice bike tho

numptyboy
Sep 6, 2004
somewhat pleasant

School of How posted:

Has anyone here ever had a problem with a tire that has a too small diameter bead and it won't fit onto your rim? My new enduro bike ended up getting a flat tire on my first ride. So I bought a set Tannus Armor and set out to install it. At first I thought the tire were tubeless since it seemed the bead was glued to the rim. It turns out it wasn't glued, it just fit on extremely tightly. I actually broke one of my tire levers clean in half while trying to get one of the tires off. I managed to get both tires removed, but now I can't get either one of them back on. The diameter of the tire bead is about 2 cm smaller than the diameter of the rim. I'm probably going to have to teke these wheels to my local bike shop and have them try to get the tire on, but I have a feeling they won't be able to, and I'll have to just get a new set of tires which have a slightly larger bead.

This isn't the first time this has happened to me. I recall a few years ago I took a different mountain bike to a bike shop to get new tires, and after I picked out the tires I wanted, the guy installing them came to me and told me I have to pick out another set because he couldn't get the bead around my rims. Why can't tire beads just be standardized? As far as I understand, there is no benefit to having beads fit onto the rim super tight.

Not sure what can cause issues when the bead is 2cm out of whack.

There might also be some tire manufacturing tolerances got a little fucky during covid(or on certain production lines). My last dissector tire was pig awful to put on compared to the other DHR2 and Assegai which went on and off without tools or hassle. similar casing , all tubeless.

I)ve found that tires being tough to be put on can happen if the rim tape is too thick. I think i remember having e13 tape on my old alu rim before and had no issues, and when i built some new wheels with e13 carbon rims the manual said to use e13 rim tape wrapping to the tune of 2 and half times. The stans tape i had was much thicker and tires proved to be a bit more difficult to put on with as the centre dip and outer rim edge diameter had effectively increased. Using a little less tape helped a lot with fixing this. I cant see this causing a 2cm discrepency though.

numptyboy
Sep 6, 2004
somewhat pleasant

VelociBacon posted:

I'm not even sure they can replace bushings without just replacing the lowers - we call them bushings but AFAIK they're not like what you'd expect, they're another softer metal or something.

I think it might depend on the make - i think RS insist on new lowers while Fox can do new bushings.

I wouldnt ride on it unless you are sure the burrs wont rip into the bushings.

To repair there are some guides on filing off the burrs and then filling any gap with some kind of epoxy and then letting it harden and sand it down using really fine grit sandpaper and a lot of patience.
Ive done this with fairly small scratches and while it worked, the scratches were too small for the expoxy to bind to and eventually came off so overall i dont think it was worth the effort in my case, and i ended up just putting up with the cosmetic annoyance.

You can find some kits online that have all the stuff you need.

Arishtat
Jan 2, 2011

numptyboy posted:

I think it might depend on the make - i think RS insist on new lowers while Fox can do new bushings.

I wouldnt ride on it unless you are sure the burrs wont rip into the bushings.

To repair there are some guides on filing off the burrs and then filling any gap with some kind of epoxy and then letting it harden and sand it down using really fine grit sandpaper and a lot of patience.
Ive done this with fairly small scratches and while it worked, the scratches were too small for the epoxy to bind to and eventually came off so overall I don't think it was worth the effort in my case, and I ended up just putting up with the cosmetic annoyance.

You can find some kits online that have all the stuff you need.

I went through this earlier this year with a Fox 34 fork and here is the summary:
- I crashed it at a bike park and put a scratch on the stanchion (CSU) which had obvious high and low points
- shock was slowly losing oil out the left side due to the scratch on the CSU
- took it to local bike shop for diagnosis, shop offered:
- repair with epoxy and sanding (low confidence of long term success)
- replace CSU and perform an 'upper service' which meant new seals and bushings
- replace fork entirely

I elected to go with the CSU replacement because the part was ~$150USD and the total repair was quoted out at ~$400 including the upper service kit. The shock was already five years old so it was overdue for service anyway and we priced out a replacement shock which started at $750 and went up from there.

When I asked about riding on the damaged shock I was told that it would be OK to do so with due caution (i.e. no sending it off jumps and stuff) while waiting for parts to arrive. It ended up taking a few weeks for the CSU to arrive because we needed one with the remote lockout feature as opposed to a standard CSU (yay Scott bikes).

The shop did the CSU swap, replaced the seals and bushings and filled up the shock and I swear it rides better than it did before the crash.

Bud Manstrong
Dec 11, 2003

The Curse of the Flying Criosphinx

Arishtat posted:

The shop did the CSU swap, replaced the seals and bushings and filled up the shock and I swear it rides better than it did before the crash.

If this was the first service, that’s a definite possibility. Fox loves to ship forks with a huge wad of grease on the air spring. It reduces the volume in the negative chamber and makes the fork feel harsh off the top.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Bud Manstrong posted:

If this was the first service, that’s a definite possibility. Fox loves to ship forks with a huge wad of grease on the air spring. It reduces the volume in the negative chamber and makes the fork feel harsh off the top.

If you’re lucky when you pop the air spring out it’ll shoot a big wad of grease across the room like a…well, use your imagination.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Levitate posted:

If you’re lucky when you pop the air spring out it’ll shoot a big wad of grease across the room like a…well, use your imagination.

Like what?

numptyboy
Sep 6, 2004
somewhat pleasant

Arishtat posted:

I went through this earlier this year with a Fox 34 fork and here is the summary:
- I crashed it at a bike park and put a scratch on the stanchion (CSU) which had obvious high and low points
- shock was slowly losing oil out the left side due to the scratch on the CSU
- took it to local bike shop for diagnosis, shop offered:
- repair with epoxy and sanding (low confidence of long term success)
- replace CSU and perform an 'upper service' which meant new seals and bushings
- replace fork entirely

I elected to go with the CSU replacement because the part was ~$150USD and the total repair was quoted out at ~$400 including the upper service kit. The shock was already five years old so it was overdue for service anyway and we priced out a replacement shock which started at $750 and went up from there.

When I asked about riding on the damaged shock I was told that it would be OK to do so with due caution (i.e. no sending it off jumps and stuff) while waiting for parts to arrive. It ended up taking a few weeks for the CSU to arrive because we needed one with the remote lockout feature as opposed to a standard CSU (yay Scott bikes).

On the replcement CSU side - i replaced my lyrik recently due to CSU creak(creaking was really bad when landing jumps, braking and doing endo corners).
It was actually cheaper to find an on sale yari of the correct offset and travel and replace the entire thing, than buy a new CSU. I ended up just switching the charger 2.1 damper across and updating the seals(yari seals were not good) and i was good to go.

Its worthwhile looking at options if you go down the new csu route.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

So this happened...

Riding on pretty flat ground, went over some very small rocks and I guess the frame sagged juuust right to throw the derailleur cage into the cassette. Thankfully no damage to the cassette or the actual derailleur (aside from a slightly bent hanger). But the cage and the pulley wheels are totaled. I'm having a hard time finding a cage kit online for SLX 12 speed. Anyone have any idea where I should be looking? The usual suspects like Jenson didn't seem to have them listed. Obviously I'd prefer not to have to purchase an entire new RD.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

Okay I’ve had a very exhausting weekend of solo parenting and may not be fully mentally present but uhhh is your bicycle from the moon why is everything on the wrong side

e: 5 more seconds of thought: never mind I realize now it’s upside down but leaving my brain fart for posterity

Setec_Astronomy
Mar 10, 2003

there's nothing wrong with you that an expensive operation can't prolong

Steve French posted:

Okay I’ve had a very exhausting weekend of solo parenting and may not be fully mentally present but uhhh is your bicycle from the moon why is everything on the wrong side

e: 5 more seconds of thought: never mind I realize now it’s upside down but leaving my brain fart for posterity

Before I saw your post I thought the derailleur had been catastrophically "sucked upside down" and I don't even have children as an excuse

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Setec_Astronomy posted:

Before I saw your post I thought the derailleur had been catastrophically "sucked upside down" and I don't even have children as an excuse

NGL...same here.

Bud Manstrong
Dec 11, 2003

The Curse of the Flying Criosphinx

Eejit posted:

So this happened...

Riding on pretty flat ground, went over some very small rocks and I guess the frame sagged juuust right to throw the derailleur cage into the cassette. Thankfully no damage to the cassette or the actual derailleur (aside from a slightly bent hanger). But the cage and the pulley wheels are totaled. I'm having a hard time finding a cage kit online for SLX 12 speed. Anyone have any idea where I should be looking? The usual suspects like Jenson didn't seem to have them listed. Obviously I'd prefer not to have to purchase an entire new RD.

I’ve had luck looking at the exploded diagram and ordering individual parts to repair stuff like lever blades and RD bits, but I bet that’ll get you close to or over the price of a new RD in this case.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Sad :( An LBS is gonna help me see if we can temporarily Frankenstein a solution from the take off bin, so at least I'll have something. And apparently I'll have a spare RD soon.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Eejit posted:

Sad :( An LBS is gonna help me see if we can temporarily Frankenstein a solution from the take off bin, so at least I'll have something. And apparently I'll have a spare RD soon.

They didn't have a replacement 12spd shimano derailleur? Seems like a pretty common item to stock. Maybe another shop?

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

VelociBacon posted:

They didn't have a replacement 12spd shimano derailleur? Seems like a pretty common item to stock. Maybe another shop?

I just want the cage and pulley wheels though, the derailuer body is fine. Tryna save a few dollars.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Eejit posted:

I just want the cage and pulley wheels though, the derailuer body is fine. Tryna save a few dollars.

Ah gotcha. I'd probably replace the hanger also since it's probably bent to poo poo and they're cheap.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Bud Manstrong posted:

I’ve had luck looking at the exploded diagram and ordering individual parts to repair stuff like lever blades and RD bits, but I bet that’ll get you close to or over the price of a new RD in this case.

almost every time I've looked up parts by number like that the only seller for the part was that japanese ebay shop that wants like $30 to ship items to the US :smith:

Arishtat
Jan 2, 2011

Bud Manstrong posted:

Points of clarification:
- original internals were retained, so no new air spring
- shock was also ~6 years old at time of service and hadn't had a fluid replacement in, like, ever

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Any shop that is a Shimano dealer can order any of those small parts.

But Shimano has lovely parts availability right now. Recently I was unable to get a guy a replacement cage for an xt derailleur, or any full replacement Shimano 12s rd.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Update, a new RD was a faster and possibly cheaper solution

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Eejit posted:

Update, a new RD was a faster and possibly cheaper solution

Yeah I wondered if it would be.

I actually bet if you googled around you'd find that the cages are fairly cross-compatible between tiers of shimano derailleur. The long cages on clutched derailleurs are maybe all the same?

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

Here's a probably asinine question from a someone new to mountain bikes and dropper posts.

Why don't they make dropper posts with linear actuators that allow up and down travel without having to use your body weight to lower them? A nifty electronic switch could be fitted to eliminate the need for a cable as well like electronic shifters and could be programmed to hit exact lowering/raising increments.

They make fast linear actuators these days and one that small would seemingly be fairly affordable. No doubt it would still be expensive but on race bikes and things where cost is no object I'm surprised such a thing doesn't exist.

Downside would be added weight potentially but not sure how much more a linear actuator would weigh than a normal dropper post with cable.

Anyway, there's probably a glaringly obvious reason this idea is dumb. What is it?

Edit: Oh.

https://wheelbased.com/2020/12/14/motorized-dropper-post-assembly-by-trek/?amp=1

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

Also: https://m.pinkbike.com/news/bmcs-all-new-fourstroke-has-a-self-dropping-automatic-seatpost.html?pbref=p

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

Well cool that my thoughts weren't idiotic. Perhaps idiotic to think that bicycle engineers weren't already 27 steps ahead on the idea. 😃

Look forward to several years when that technology trickles down to affordability.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Scrapez posted:

Why don't they make dropper posts with linear actuators that allow up and down travel without having to use your body weight to lower them? A nifty electronic switch could be fitted to eliminate the need for a cable as well like electronic shifters and could be programmed to hit exact lowering/raising increments.

Anyway, there's probably a glaringly obvious reason this idea is dumb. What is it?

Di2 came out for road bikes at about the same time as the first mainstream dropper post. Both took a while to achieve widespread adoption -- first electronic MTB groupset came out in 2019.
Without the now accepted possibility of electric power on your bike (whether for shifting or ebike batteries), it was natural to keep adapting proven technologies (suspension) to dropper posts.
Even now, plenty of people say they will never have a bike that relies on charging.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

VelociBacon posted:

Yeah I wondered if it would be.

I actually bet if you googled around you'd find that the cages are fairly cross-compatible between tiers of shimano derailleur. The long cages on clutched derailleurs are maybe all the same?

We tried two long cage derailleurs they had in the parts bin and both didn't fit actually. Apparently the M7100 has a rather tight tolerance. The labor and RD are the same price as a bike rental for tomorrow so it's a wash and now I have a spare RD body that I guess I could even ebay.

Also I was trying to find pulley wheels and apparently XTR pulley wheels are like $65. Holy poo poo.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Eejit posted:

We tried two long cage derailleurs they had in the parts bin and both didn't fit actually. Apparently the M7100 has a rather tight tolerance. The labor and RD are the same price as a bike rental for tomorrow so it's a wash and now I have a spare RD body that I guess I could even ebay.

Also I was trying to find pulley wheels and apparently XTR pulley wheels are like $65. Holy poo poo.

You should check these out if you're looking for a good value option.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

God I get so many ads for those now

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

VelociBacon posted:

What the gently caress!!!

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

VelociBacon posted:

I almost spit out my drink, I saw the title load "3d printed", thought, oh cool, some printed nylon pulley wheels, I could print some of those as backups-WHAT THE gently caress

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Frozen Pizza Party posted:

I almost spit out my drink, I saw the title load "3d printed", thought, oh cool, some printed nylon pulley wheels, I could print some of those as backups-WHAT THE gently caress

3D metal printing has come a long way in the last few years.

That pulley is pure showing off but the tech is real.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

kimbo305 posted:

Di2 came out for road bikes at about the same time as the first mainstream dropper post. Both took a while to achieve widespread adoption -- first electronic MTB groupset came out in 2019.
Without the now accepted possibility of electric power on your bike (whether for shifting or ebike batteries), it was natural to keep adapting proven technologies (suspension) to dropper posts.
Even now, plenty of people say they will never have a bike that relies on charging.

Wait, what? XTR di2 came out in 2014.