Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

hobbesmaster posted:

This sounds complicated. Just run a busbar from the PSU on the back of the case behind the motherboard and bolt down the CPU and GPU power inputs on the back of the motherboard!

Nothing could possibly go wrong with this approach.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Zero VGS posted:

The 40A Anderson PowerPoles are the work of Satan, it's like stepping on LEGOs but for your hands instead of your feet. They aren't even very good functionally; I find the XT60 to be strictly better in practice and I've worked with both a lot on eBikes etc.

I went from tamiya to stuff that obviously scaled past tamiya, first I used deans and they were so terrible to pull apart that powerpoles were an improvement.

I'm curious about what's current in high-performance-brushless-motor circles like that nowadays, please go on. My knowledge is from 20 years ago (respect your elders drat it!), we were using brushed motors at first (severely overvolted Graupner poo poo and then later Kyosho Magnetic Mayhem) for an electric trainer, and I was a super early adopter on brushless neodymium (mega 16/15/3 🥵) and some high-current NiMH (HeCell 1800, Sanyo 1950FAUP) and early LiPo (buckle up this one does 3C!), on high-performance zagi-style stuff back in those days.

astroflight had some insane stuff back in the day, both in terms of brushless/neodymium (years before mega) and on their connectors but the prices were always nuts. I remember an "inner demon/twin demon" gearbox that let you get two on a prop working together and I always wish I'd picked one up but it was way beyond my budget as a kid. One time back then I saw a NASA R/C airplane that was basically a large (120?) trainer conversion with like 3-4 packs of NiMH 8c or 16C sub-c packs in parallel for higher current they were using for surveying... big astroflight motor, way beyond anything I'd ever seen. Awed all the fudds in the club. Presumably the vibration was way less than the nitro engines of the time.

what's a high-performance connector look like nowadays?

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Oct 25, 2022

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
i'd never stop laughing if people started to use like weatherpack connectors in their computers

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
4090FE installed. Came in a little over baseline 3dmark scores at stock clocks; going +260gpu / +1500mem gave me about a 5% boost with no noticed temperature differences or fans cranking harder, but I'm going to leave everything at stock, because, come on.

FlamingLiberal posted:

You can get the Zotac 3090 for $869.00, which is probably the cheapest a 3090 has ever been. If you don't feel like paying twice that for a 4090 right now.

https://sellout.woot.com/offers/zot...ta=MXxOfDB8WXww

wow, I sold a friend my 3090 and RM850x PSU for $950 shipped which is still an okay deal but if I'd seen these I probably would have knocked another hundred bucks off. Ah well, I'll remember to cut him a deal when maple syrup season is here.

Cabbages and VHS fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Oct 25, 2022

Kivi
Aug 1, 2006
I care
The solution for these power issues is already solved and engineered, it's twin 8 pin EPS plugs.

Basically, cheaper RTX6000 with half the RAM, not this gamer cargo cult oversized RGB junk.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Paul MaudDib posted:

I went from tamiya to stuff that obviously scaled past tamiya, first I used deans and they were so terrible to pull apart that powerpoles were an improvement.
what's a high-performance connector look like nowadays?

I feel like tamiya is a bad choice for anything where you're not frequently checking the connector. It's best quality is easy to bind/unbind but those fuckers melt down a lot. So good for RC cars and airsoft guns, bad for PC where in theory you're only connecting/unconnecting it a handful of times in it's lifetime.

In terms of connectors for PSUs I'd guess the replacement would be XT60 vs Deans, and I don't know why you'd need something as small as a Dean's. Maybe like a scaled up Deans connector? But XT60 would probably just be better in that situation.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

AMD has outright confirmed they're not using the 16pin now

https://twitter.com/sherkelman/status/1584931430483705859

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

repiv posted:

AMD has outright confirmed they're not using the 16pin now

https://twitter.com/sherkelman/status/1584931430483705859

Lmfao at AMDposting actually making them look good for once

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Lmao 😂

Nvidia is screwed. I’m so freaking happy my beefy boy has three safe cables going into it.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

*counterstike voice*

boomer spotted

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

spunkshui posted:

Lmao 😂

Nvidia is screwed. I’m so freaking happy my beefy boy has three safe cables going into it.

I mean

are they though

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

the power connector situation is unfortunate but lol at the idea that it justifies EVGA jettisoning 80% of their revenue and probably laying off most of their staff

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

tehinternet posted:

I mean

are they though

People have been bending the poo poo out of cables in PCs for decades.

Bent cables making house fires is not going to make consumer protection groups happy.

Ask Samsung what it’s like to try to legally sell a product in America that bursts into flame.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
I think leaping to "Serious risk of house fire" might be a little premature. There's an awful lot of green space between some melted connectors and that.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

“Not fit for purpose” might be a pretty easy grab though.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

repiv posted:

the power connector situation is unfortunate but lol at the idea that it justifies EVGA jettisoning 80% of their revenue and probably laying off most of their staff

You know speaking about AIBs bailing on GPUs. What's the story of HIS not offering any AMD 6000s? I don't remember them making any statement.

Perhaps just supply issues?

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Lockback posted:

I feel like tamiya is a bad choice for anything where you're not frequently checking the connector. It's best quality is easy to bind/unbind but those fuckers melt down a lot. So good for RC cars and airsoft guns, bad for PC where in theory you're only connecting/unconnecting it a handful of times in it's lifetime.

They’re easy to plug and unplug but I think they suffer from the issue people are worried about with Molex/mini-fit on PC… after 50 or 100 plug/unplug cycles you’re not getting a good connection and the risk of arcing and scorching increases. I think that has generally contributed to the perceived unreliability and arcing/etc in general, it wouldn’t be bad if every time you plugged a new battery into a new ESC but in the real world R/C people routinely put way more cycles on the connector than it’s supposed to handle and that’s part of why it’s perceived as having arcing problems.

But yeah Tamiya is one of my least favorite connectors, I think it survives on cost and generally being entrenched in the R/C car ecosystem. It’s really not a good connector for high-current applications (nor is Molex/mini-fit in general).

Deans is loving terrible to unplug yeah. We moved away from that over time just because it’s obnoxious and we settled on power poles back then. It’s the worst connector except for all the others.

There was also Astroflight Lossless connectors which could do even more (I want to say they were rated to 100A) but they were like fifty bucks or more a connector, in early-2000s money :homebrew:

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Oct 26, 2022

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
I'm kind of confused about the cable thing; is that actually something that would affect someone that runs at stock, and if so, how often? How many of these have turned up in the wild?

Cabbages and Kings posted:

wow, I sold a friend my 3090 and RM850x PSU for $950 shipped which is still an okay deal but if I'd seen these I probably would have knocked another hundred bucks off. Ah well, I'll remember to cut him a deal when maple syrup season is here.

lmao amazing you absolutely blew out your friend. Good times.

That's almost the NEW price for those components.

e: man, for the record Persona 5 at 120 fps / 4K is loving incredible. P5 has this super smooth style, and high fps just makes everything sooo silky and stylish. And at 4K the art assets are sharp and beautiful. Highly recommend; P5 is one of my favorite games ever, and I'm definitely replaying it now that the new Royal content is out and on PC. I think it has all the DLC too...?

Auto HDR is also loving AMAZING given all the vibrancy that already exists in P5. I have to say, auto HDR is easily one of my favorite modern features that doesn't get nearly the respect it deserves because high lumen HDR displays aren't that common in the PC space yet. It really is the poo poo though.

It recently dropped on Game Pass PC btw if you have any interest in playing one of the best JRPG of all time.

Taima fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Oct 25, 2022

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Taima posted:

e: man, for the record Persona 5 at 120 fps / 4K is loving incredible. P5 has this super smooth style, and high fps just makes everything sooo silky and stylish. And at 4K the art assets are sharp and beautiful. Highly recommend; P5 is one of my favorite games ever, and I'm definitely replaying it now that the new Royal content is out and on PC. I think it has all the DLC too...?

Auto HDR is also loving AMAZING given all the vibrancy that already exists in P5. I have to say, auto HDR is easily one of my favorite modern features that doesn't get nearly the respect it deserves because high lumen HDR displays aren't that common in the PC space yet. It really is the poo poo though.

It recently dropped on Game Pass PC btw if you have any interest in playing one of the best JRPG of all time.

Fine I guess I'll buy this game a third time and update to Win 11 :nsamad:

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I've heard the Game Pass version is extra crash-heavy for some reason.

I have a save file 2/3rds through the game I've been meaning to go back to. I'd like to play the PC version but I don't think I can bother replaying that 60 hours.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

intel really should have explored proton for their DX9 support, this guy plugged DXVK into GTA4 and TES4, and got massive improvements in both average FPS and 1%/0.1% lows compared to the microsoft DX9-on-12 layer intel uses

witcher 3 (a DX11 title) runs about the same on average with DXVK but he noted improved 1% lows compared to intels native DX11 driver

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wktbj1dBPFY&t=145s

repiv fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Oct 25, 2022

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
lol what if the “4090 shortage” that everyone was memeing as artificial scarcity was actually NVIDIA hitting launch day and having their support line blow up and realizing they hosed up and gotta get ‘em back off shelves

what were they thinking though if it’s this widespread? Like it showed up in their tests too according to the leaked ATX working group docs, and apparently a decent number of people are bumping into it. At least let people know they need to be delicate with it jeez.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Oct 26, 2022

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Imagine how mad all of Nvidia's AIBs must be right now

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

FuturePastNow posted:

Imagine how mad all of Nvidia's AIBs must be right now

I can think of one who's grinning.

And honestly 12VHPWR might be something that he'd have specifically seen coming unlike some of the random things people throw out. Bet board-partner leadership was paying attention to the working group especially since they were gonna be implementing it (seemingly by mandate from nvidia given the 100% buy-in, vs the last gen where only NVIDIA used it).

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
I'm gonna pump the brakes a bit on this. Does no one remember two years ago when everyone was freaking out and saying the 3090 was a disaster? I'll reserve judgement for some actual data on failure rates.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

We have a third melted connector documented now.

This time it was a GPU inside of a pre-built system.

These cables probably aren’t going to stop melting unless something physically changes.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

K8.0 posted:

I'm gonna pump the brakes a bit on this. Does no one remember two years ago when everyone was freaking out and saying the 3090 was a disaster? I'll reserve judgement for some actual data on failure rates.

did igors lab start this one too? they have a pretty good track record of making mountains out of molehills

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

There were multiple reports of 3090s torching pcie 8pins too. That mostly turned out to be poor quality cables iirc.

For the new standard, there are multiple factors in play with the quality of the adapters and cables from the various providers, and the fact that many rich PC gamers are big stupid Reddit buffoons who are probably hanging 4lb rgb anime figurines off of the cables that they have bent 90 degrees in a vice for aesthetics. So user error might def be a factor, especially with smaller more fragile connectors.

The gaming world has also been obsessed with 4090 “drama” for weeks, fueled by the normal mix of people mad they can’t afford the new hotness in their hobby, people who want to Defend Their Purchase of somethin else, and the brand warriors who think making Nvidia memes and buying from another multinational corporation makes them Freedom Fighters. That factor is gonna boost even random, context free single occurrences that may mean nothing through the fuckin hype roof, which is part of what happened with the 3090 death scandal.

I am remaining skeptical that it’s a real and a big deal for the moment, but it is definitely worrying if the cable is gonna be something extra to fret about in the future. The slow death of Moores Law, and the required increase in power density to give people the performance increases they want on a bar chart, is increasingly clashing with the ancient physical standards in the PC industry. ATX as a whole should be swept in the dumpster at this point imo.

I’m mostly upset that it’s given the GPU Drama dorks more fuel. It’s cool that people like computer hardware but the weird obsessive drama/leaker culture around fuckin GPUs lately is bizarre.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Cygni posted:

For the new standard, there are multiple factors in play with the quality of the adapters and cables from the various providers, and the fact that many rich PC gamers are big stupid Reddit buffoons who are probably hanging 4lb rgb anime figurines off of the cables that they have bent 90 degrees in a vice for aesthetics. So user error might def be a factor, especially with smaller more fragile connectors.

But Nvidia has to know people will bend the cables.

This feels like designing a car who's review mirror melts if someone hangs an air freshener from it.

I dont want anyone's rig ruined but I dont see why this would just stop happening.

I think we are going to see a handwear fix of some kind.

spunkshui fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Oct 26, 2022

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

K8.0 posted:

I think we've seen two reports on reddit thus far and that's it.

And as far as I'm aware, there's no intense 4090 shortage right now. Inventory is thin as it usually is at launch, but it sounds like people are still able to buy cards if they follow restock trackers and the stock situation will eventually sort itself out. Though there's also the news story that came out a few days ago about Nvidia shifting allocation away from AD102 to H100 in order to fulfill Chinese datacenter orders before the trade sanctions hit.

A couple cable connectors melting on reddit doesn't seem like it'd move the needle much, but I dunno.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Oct 26, 2022

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Cygni posted:

The gaming world has also been obsessed with 4090 “drama” for weeks, fueled by the normal mix of people mad they can’t afford the new hotness in their hobby, people who want to Defend Their Purchase of somethin else, and the brand warriors who think making Nvidia memes and buying from another multinational corporation makes them Freedom Fighters.

You forgot about the people who weirdly defend Nvidia in forums and call people anime Reddit nerds because they spent a whole rent payment on a video card and expected it to ensure normal use.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
3090s dying to The New World was a problem with the game

3090s turning off due to transients ("capacitor-gate", which was maybe a misnomer) was fixed with a driver-side fix

the connector probably isn't something that can be handled in a similar way

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Craptacular! posted:

You forgot about the people who weirdly defend Nvidia in forums and call people anime Reddit nerds because they spent a whole rent payment on a video card and expected it to ensure normal use.

Thats... not what i said at all? Also it was a joke man cmon, there literally was someone who posted pictures of what i described there last week lol. Making fun of reddit is fun for the whole family.

gradenko_2000 posted:

3090s dying to The New World was a problem with the game

3090s turning off due to transients ("capacitor-gate", which was maybe a misnomer) was fixed with a driver-side fix

the connector probably isn't something that can be handled in a similar way

There was a few things going on that lead to a shitstorm of failures and issues getting lumped in together and rumor posting going insane and gaining media traction on, well, reddit. Early 3090s, especially the first batch of FTW3's, had a myriad of problems, including bad solder joints that really could be made to detach around the mosfets and send the card into perma-limp mode. This got combined with the transient issue (that was never 100% fixed on Ampere, i can still get my FTW3 to turn off a Seasonic PSU I have pretty consistently with the latest firmware and drivers), and other general unrelated failures of other brands and SKUs like the 6900XT, people using lovely cables and Molex adapters, etc. The GPU Drama mill was churning stories out faster than anyone could actually test the issues. New World being the game everyone was playing, despite tons of games having uncapped frames in menus, ended up getting all the blame. Maybe thats fair, releasing a AAA game with uncapped menu frames in 2022 cmon, but in retrospect it all seems like a waste of time. In the end, last I heard the failure rate on 3090s basically ended up being... the same as most other GPUs.

If the connector itself really does end up being a problem though, yeah this will be rough. But like I said, based on the 3090 drama, I'm gonna remain skeptical for now.

Cygni fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Oct 26, 2022

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Cygni posted:

There were multiple reports of 3090s torching pcie 8pins too. That mostly turned out to be poor quality cables iirc.

but this time the cable that's melting is provided with the very expensive video card

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013
lol why the gently caress did Nvidia jump headfirst into that adapter and why are there people defending this poo poo

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

Jeff Fatwood posted:

lol why the gently caress did Nvidia jump headfirst into that adapter and why are there people defending this poo poo

Because 3 bulky 8pins doesn't look Apple enough. Yeah..

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

sauer kraut posted:

Because 3 bulky 8pins doesn't look Apple enough. Yeah..

It’s always a Mac or Apple product’s fault

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

The trifecta of rumored ampere reworks is complete:

https://twitter.com/VideoCardz/status/1585178253446242304

Nvidia is reportedly heavily oversupplied on GA102 dies, so they're tossing them in the 3070 Ti now. Same specs, albeit with a 10W higher TDP for some reason.

This is accompanying the 8GB 128-bit 3060 and G6X 3060 Ti, both of which reared their heads a few days ago. Nvidia's just swapping all the parts around to try to move as much clogged-up inventory as possible while minimizing the amount of additional memory they have to order (Nvidia started acting as the middle man for GDDR with their partners during the shortages)

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

The trifecta of rumored ampere reworks is complete:

https://twitter.com/VideoCardz/status/1585178253446242304

Nvidia is reportedly heavily oversupplied on GA102 dies, so they're tossing them in the 3070 Ti now. Same specs, albeit with a 10W higher TDP for some reason.

This is accompanying the 8GB 128-bit 3060 and G6X 3060 Ti, both of which reared their heads a few days ago. Nvidia's just swapping all the parts around to try to move as much clogged-up inventory as possible while minimizing the amount of additional memory they have to order (Nvidia started acting as the middle man for GDDR with their partners during the shortages)

I hope they choke on their supply. No one in their right mind should be buying 30XX GPUs at anywhere close their current MSRP (E: in EU, afaik US has it a little better, but still...) and honestly, even at the optimistic and great-value-for-money launch MSRP, it's been 2 years now and the next gen is upon us... when I got my RTX 1080 in 2018 the situation was similar, and I paid little more than half launch MSRP, 420€ vs a MSRP at launch of 750€ or so), and neither should anyone buy a "4070" for 900€ or whatever they'll be asking.

If there's a deal on a (new, not used) 3080 or something for 500€ or less I'd go for it probably, anything else gets a "gently caress you Nvidia, I'll wait this out" from me

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 12:03 on Oct 26, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
at least we haven't seen any influencers torch their 4090 setups yet, that's the thing nvidia probably really don't want happening