Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Toplowtech posted:

Fire and Blood, it contains "The Rogue Prince" and "the Princess and the Queen", which cover this civil war. Fire and Blood covers the whole Targaryen history.

Just the first half of Targaryen history, Martin's writing (lol) a part 2 that goes from after the stuff in the show to the Mad King..

It's a fantasy history so it's very dry, as a warning for those interested in it. The part of the book covering the show stuff has an interesting thing with multiple unteliable narrators though, that's fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Maegor is what happens when someone like Daemon goes full evil, where murder is always the best solution

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
It's dry but there's a lot of fun stuff that happens regularly and relatable characters do emerge

Cheat sheet on the non-Song of Ice And Fire books:

World of Ice and Fire - Entire timeline of the Westerossi government but mainly based off Martin's notes and compiled by others, so not a lot of detail and entirely out of character (as far as I can recall).

Fire and Blood 1 - Entirely written by Martin but as an in world text focused only on the Targs with a lot of detail to their lives and supporting characters/events. Goes from the invasion of Weseross by the Targs to a decade or two after the events of the show.

Fire and Blood 2 - The rest of the history of the Targs as yet unwritten.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Does anyone on the show other than anime pirate brother know that dragons don’t actually do what you tell them? Or is this a very recent development?

Or is it like a personality thing where some will politely do a funeral pyre because they respect context when they get the burn signal and some just love carnage?

sad question
May 30, 2020

Viserys said that control over dragons is an illusion in one of the first episodes

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Just going by what's been on the show, Matt Daemon's middle wife had to tell her doggo dragon several times that she needs a fiery euthanasia, doggo had a think about it, and complied.

I assume it's a given that all dragons love setting things on fire, eating things, etc.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
It's more like they will generally do what you tell them if you keep them fed and such but if you get it all heated up and ready for the kill AND then another dragon attacks it, it will do what an animal does and loving kill it.

Zohar
Jul 14, 2013

Good kitty

sad question posted:

Viserys said that control over dragons is an illusion in one of the first episodes

episode 1 in fact, there were a lot of callbacks to the pilot in the finale

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible
I'd guess how much control you have over the dragons also probably develops over time, and how much time you spend with your dragon. We saw Syrax reacting to Rhaenyra's pain during the child birth, and Caraxes seems to always know exactly what Damon wants it to do (like when to reveal itself) without needing any commands, so the older dragon riders definitely seem to have a stronger bond with their dragons.

It could also just be a case of when dragons fight each other, they do what they feel they need to do, riders will be damned. Have dragons ever had to go up against each other since the doom of Valyria?

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Yeah I don't think it's accidental that the two characters who lost control of their dragons are teenage boys (idk how old Aemond is exactly)

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

TyrantWD posted:

It could also just be a case of when dragons fight each other, they do what they feel they need to do, riders will be damned. Have dragons ever had to go up against each other since the doom of Valyria?

Once, I think. Aegon's son (Maegor) and his nephew (Aenys) had a dragon fight during a previous succession dispute. Maegor rode Balerion, so it played out similarly to what just happened in the show.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

mweber posted:

Let’s pretend GRRM is actually a motivated writer, seven more books in an offshoot series is really ambitious for a man of his physical dimensions and age.

He's going to live to be 105 with out ever releasing another word of asoiaf

As far as controlling dragons, it's probably somewhat analogous to the control people have over circus animals, or maybe something like a destrier, which could be highly trained and controllable but, being a stallion bred for war, could always think of ants and stave in your head with a kick. Maybe war elephants too, but I think when those guys went off they usually ran away instead of just going insane and stomping your own lines.

Also there's definitely some sort of magical connection between people who have the high Valyrian blood that makes them have white hair and dragons.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

In the book yeah for sure, Aegon the Conqueror's son Maegor fought his nephew (another Aegon) during a succession dispute.

Not really a spoiler (especially for this show) but playing it safe for folks

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

DaysBefore posted:

In the book yeah for sure, Aegon the Conqueror's son Maegor fought his nephew (another Aegon) during a succession dispute.

Not really a spoiler (especially for this show) but playing it safe for folks

gently caress I can't keep track of their names. Right, aegon's son was anus. His grandson was another aegon.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Imagine how bad it would be if Martin went really accurate with the naming and every firstborn son and father had the same name lol

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Too many Aegons.

Incidentally, in rereading Game of Thrones I came across this passage when Jon is about to desert at the end of book/season 1, which makes me think Jon's birth name in the books isn't Aegon (which it is in the show):

quote:

But he had not left the wall for that; he had left because he was after all his father's son, and Robb's brother. The gift of a sword, even a sword as fine as Longclaw did not make him a Mormont. Nor was he Aemon Targaryen. Three times the old man had chosen, and three times he had chosen honor, but that was him.

The Aemon he's referring to is Maester Aemon, the Targ Maester who took the black, but GRRM loves being cute with his foreshadowing. I could definitely see him revealing Lyanna had named Jon Aemon, and smirking while he wrote this.

boo boo bear
Oct 1, 2009

I'm COMPLETELY OBSESSED with SEXY EGGS

ShowTime posted:

I like to root for Princess Rhaenys. She is a badass that doesn't have an unlikable quality from what I can see. The last episode was just her giving approving glances and smirks, with hardly any lines, but she was still a presence. That and her two granddaughters, who seem to be absolute sweethearts. Now one of them lost their fiance, but I bet they'll betroth her to a lord they need to sway for their alliance.

Also, does Corlys know that Daemon killed his brother? I can't remember if that was mentioned to him when Rhaenys was telling him about his brothers death.

she doesn't kneel or bow, a true queen.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

If Jon’s real name is Aegon that means Rhaegar had 2 sons, both of them named Aegon

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Not totally out of the question for a Targ IMO.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

sad question posted:

He also got mad at Rhaenyra for doing the Precocious Fantasy Hero thing of flying to confront Daemon in episode 2, which mirrors what Jace and his brother do in the finale, only with much worse consequences

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
So has GURM acknowledged the Targayen dynasty ending in S8 a "canon", like did he say Dany is the last of the Targaryen or he has disowned S8?

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
There's a theory going that Targaryens are literally descended from dragons in part which would explain a lot of things like high tolerance to heat, immunity to a lot of diseases and sometimes giving birth to stillborn demon babies

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Wonder what was going through the mind of the first Targaryen to gently caress a dragon.

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang
Has the still-born demon baby thing ever actually been confirmed? Every time someone mentions it happening in the books, it's always a second hand description, or some historian writing about it, instead of something a character actually sees. Like, the book claims Rhaenyra's stillborn child was a dragon baby, but the show just showed that it was a premature baby with her cord around her neck.

EDIT: I mean, everyone claimed Tyrion was a demon baby with a tail and such, when he was just a baby with dwarfism.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

stephenthinkpad posted:

So has GURM acknowledged the Targayen dynasty ending in S8 a "canon", like did he say Dany is the last of the Targaryen or he has disowned S8?

I don't think he disowned the ending at all and it appears that is the ending he planned. The difference likely being that his ending would include a lot more lead up than like Dany being sad that Northerners like Jon more. I saw a lot of theories that her downfall probably ties in with the pretend Aegon guy that doesn't exist in the show.

As far as I know, the only major ending for a character that is unambiguously a D&D invention is the Night King getting stabbed by Arya because they basically said they made that part up themselves in the post show stuff.(Edit: I guess that's kinda irrelevant anyway because the Night King himself is a D&D invention, but I guess it's still the ending to the coming winter?)

Assuming he ever finishes the books, the overall ending we got is probably the same or very similar, but the journey to get there will make it make more sense.

wilderthanmild fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Oct 25, 2022

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

first you gently caress the wyrm. then you gently caress the wyvern. then you get the dragon

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

wilderthanmild posted:

I don't think he disowned the ending at all and it appears that is the ending he planned. The difference likely being that his ending would include a lot more lead up than like Dany being sad that Northerners like Jon more. I saw a lot of theories that her downfall probably ties in with the pretend Aegon guy that doesn't exist in the show.

As far as I know, the only major ending for a character that is unambiguously a D&D invention is the Night King getting stabbed by Arya because they basically said they made that part up themselves in the post show stuff.(Edit: I guess that's kinda irrelevant anyway because the Night King himself is a D&D invention, but I guess it's still the ending to the coming winter?)

Assuming he ever finishes the books, the overall ending we got is probably the same or very similar, but the journey to get there will make it make more sense.

It makes total sense that their end to the white walker conflict was essentially the same as the end of every Marvel movie. Out of every bad decision they made, that one had to be the worst.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

wilderthanmild posted:

So are you telling me the new Jon Snow show has no Targaryen at all? No Targaryen bloodline shenanigans? No dragons? (I erased all my memory of S8 so I don't remember if all the dragons got killed)

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

stephenthinkpad posted:

So are you telling me the new Jon Snow show has no Targaryen at all? No Targaryen bloodline shenanigans? No dragons? (I erased all my memory of S8 so I don't remember if all the dragons got killed)

I mean, in the show ending he seems to still be keeping it mostly secret and leaving both that and his Stark life behind to go north and live with(and maybe lead?) the free folk.

CPFortest
Jun 2, 2009

Did you not pour me out like milk, and curdle me like cheese?
The final fates of Tyrion, Jon, Dany, Jamie, Cersei, and the Stark kids are probably directly from GRRM although you could go back and forth on what actually happens to Arya aside from she probably doesn't die. You could extend that to Jorah and Melisandre also having the roughly the same fates just with different contextuality. What happens to every other character aside from Sam surviving and Theon definitely dying is likely made up whole cloth by DnD.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

stephenthinkpad posted:

Jon Snow is the son of Rheagar Targaryan and Lyanna Stark in the show. (He's Dany's nephew.)

For dragons: Drogon melted the Iron Throne and flew away. King Bran is searching for him at the end of the show. Rhaegal was killed by Euron Grayjoy with a big crossbolt. Viserion was killed by the Night King and turned into a zombie.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/dreamoforgonon/status/1584742067996983296

lmao actually

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
How do you guys rate HOTD S1 among the GOT seasons?

I am thinking I will put GOT1 GOT4 and HOTD1 on top 3 and I will have to watch them again to decide the order. I have only watched all of them once. Which season is the Hound kill the chicken eating guy?

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Tender Bender posted:

Too many Aegons.

Incidentally, in rereading Game of Thrones I came across this passage when Jon is about to desert at the end of book/season 1, which makes me think Jon's birth name in the books isn't Aegon (which it is in the show):

The Aemon he's referring to is Maester Aemon, the Targ Maester who took the black, but GRRM loves being cute with his foreshadowing. I could definitely see him revealing Lyanna had named Jon Aemon, and smirking while he wrote this.

100%. There's another passage where Jon recalls roleplaying with Robb, and Jon plays Prince Aemon the Dragonknight

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

stephenthinkpad posted:

How do you guys rate HOTD S1 among the GOT seasons?

I am thinking I will put GOT1 GOT4 and HOTD1 on top 3 and I will have to watch them again to decide the order. I have only watched all of them once. Which season is the Hound kill the chicken eating guy?

Definitely in that Seasons 1-4 range before the decline in quality of GoT started. Probably about as good as Season 1 of Game of Thones, which I think is good but not as good as 2-4.

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005

CPFortest posted:

The final fates of Tyrion, Jon, Dany, Jamie, Cersei, and the Stark kids are probably directly from GRRM although you could go back and forth on what actually happens to Arya aside from she probably doesn't die. You could extend that to Jorah and Melisandre also having the roughly the same fates just with different contextuality. What happens to every other character aside from Sam surviving and Theon definitely dying is likely made up whole cloth by DnD.

It's highly likely that stuff like "Jon kills Dany and fucks off to the North without anyone knowing his real origin" & 'Bran becomes king" are actually how the books were intended to end, but lots of the other stuff is invented completely for the show. Tyrion and Arya especially, have plots that went WAAAAY off the tracks they were on in the books. The last time Tyrion showed up in the books, he was a bitter poo poo head whose opening chapter in book 5 details him r**ing a slave girl while contemplating how he's going to do the same to his sister, and it doesn't get any better from there. Arya's entire storyline from the first book is her slowly becoming more okay with murder, and the final time we see her she literally kills a person because she is told to (every murder she commits in sequence has an ever more dubious and threadbare explanation for why she "needed" to murder that person, but her final one has no excuse, she doesn't even know the person). Both storylines are getting extremely dark, and neither character is on the trajectory of being heroic at this point. Jaime and Cersei's plots also went way off course, but no one is quite sure where they were supposed to go, except that it was likely Jaime was going to kill Cersei the same way he killed the Mad King. GRRM forgot Rickon exists, so no fault to D&D for just killing him off. No body knows what Sansa's final fate was going to be, but Queen of the North was very unlikely (EDIT: Actually, there's a sound theory that Arya will be hired out to kill Sansa as part of her job as a Faceless Man.)

Anonymous Zebra fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Oct 25, 2022

mweber
Dec 24, 2003
GURM got the world to participate in his sexual fetishes, and good for him, I guess.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Watching this show assert how patriarchal and resistant to female rule westeros is just makes it 10000x funnier that cersei managed to blow up a holy building with like 100 beloved and important people and rule on her own without even an heir, all in an evil queen costume, and she wasnt just immediately overthrown

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
One of the funny ironies of the books is that Cersei is kind of a tragic figure early on that basically gets blamed for everything bad even though she usually has nothing to do with it most of the time. The show kind of did this, but then forgot it in lieu of the Evil Queen motif.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Watching this show assert how patriarchal and resistant to female rule westeros is just makes it 10000x funnier that cersei managed to blow up a holy building with like 100 beloved and important people and rule on her own without even an heir, all in an evil queen costume, and she wasnt just immediately overthrown

Yeah, but she had the unassailable political tool of drinking wine and staring out a window.

What can anyone do against someone with that kind of Machiavellian acumen.