Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Sad because I finished Cultic...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Narcissus1916 posted:

Thanks to FPS boost the entire FEAR series is 60fps on the Series X - except for FEAR files. Are those any good?
FEAR Files is basically the two FEAR 1 expansion packs bundled together. They weren't made by Monolith, but they're more FEAR so...

Also worth noting that the console versions of FEAR 1 have some bonus content that was never ported back to PC... and bizarrely, it's different on each platform! PS3 and Xbox 360 each get their own exclusive bonus level where you play as a different character (and as such don't have any bullet time) with an additional weapon therein. I believe the console version also adds an Instant Action mode? I haven't played those versions, admittedly.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

There's a great bit in the E3 demo where, I guess they hadn't quite finalized what characters were going to do what, and one guy walks into a room full of charred skeletons and blood.

CO: What do you think, Holiday?

Holiday: I think some nasty poo poo happened in here.

CO: That's great. Got anything useful to add?

Holiday: There's a lot of anger in this room.

CO: Obviously.

Holiday: Yo man, get off my dick. You asked what I thought.

Wasn't in the final game iirc but that exchange has stuck with me :lol:

im trying to remember if this part was in the fear demo (yeah it was long enough ago to have a demo lmao) that came with PC gamer, or if i just remember it vividly from prerelease coverage

Groovelord Neato posted:

Sad because I finished Cultic...

yeah ive been replaying it on Extreme bc i just want more cultic. i wish i could get the feeling of lever action headshots in this game in like a topical ointment form.

i was really cautiously optimistic about cultic after the demo because the gameplay just felt 'right' to me and the first episode has lived up to it. its not quite fair right now because it is just one episode so far, but i think in gameplay terms it might be... and i feel slightly ill just typing this... better than Blood?

hear me out on this, it would be unfair to call cultic a blood clone, but it's clearly blood inspired, but i think where it differs from blood in gameplay terms it does so for the better (I don't like the dynamite interface as much as Blood's dynamite, but Blood's dynamite throws in a really fucky way until you get used to it so I gotta give Cultic more practice before I say its better or worse)

i also think cultic has legit horror chops, even though i'm a jaded freak i still felt a chill in the underground butcher warren where the bodybag guys start dropping from the ceiling. the atmosphere, eerie visuals, and the genuine element of the unknown actually gave me goosebumps. and it's not the only moment like that in the game, and even outside of designed scares the game can organically produce very eerie visuals with the roster of enemies and environments it has.

now what it lacks, and i think this is much less controversial to say, is the voice acting of Blood. Caleb and the Cultists are such a central part of the soundscape and tone of Blood, to the point that i would say that calebs laughter when you blow up cultists is one of the strongest forms of weapon feedback you get in the game. I like the

Blood, because of its huge number of levels, has some really duff levels. So far cultic has none, at least imo, but again its one episode so far and look at KDITD vs the rest of Doom 1. I'd like to assume that the rest of Cultic's episodes will be as good as this one, because the same person is making it, but the future is never guaranteed.

Blood has been a comfort food game for me since i was a kid, but last time I fired it up I found myself jonesin for more Cultic headshots instead.

also like, the places where Cultic falls a little short of Blood are all things that are completely understandable when you consider it's one guy (as far as I understand?) making the game, rather than a full studio. its a remarkable achievement.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Best single person accomplishment since Roller coaster tycoon? That might be a little strong to say since this is pretty much a golden age of indie games but it definitely feels right

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Casimir Radon posted:

I was giving Perseus Mandate another play through last week and actually jumped pretty hard at a Fettel scare.

The one where you walk into a small dead end alley and when you turn around there is a ghost right in front of you? If so, that's the only thing that got to me in and FEAR 1 and expansions, nothing else was very spooky to me.

demostars
Apr 8, 2020

Milo and POTUS posted:

Best single person accomplishment since Roller coaster tycoon? That might be a little strong to say since this is pretty much a golden age of indie games but it definitely feels right

Don’t forget about Cave Story!

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

demostars posted:

Don’t forget about Cave Story!

Cave Story, Axiom Verge, Iji, the entire output of Spiderweb Software...there is some stiff competition! (And if you count stuff using existing engines there's a lot of single-developer game-sized Doom megawads & TCs that would qualify, too.)

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Civvie should try the Trepang2 demo

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

verbal enema posted:

Civvie should try the Trepang2 demo

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg

How different is the 2020 demo compared to the new one on steam? It's so drat good, the gibs alone deserve an honorable mention

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

trepang 2 has the initial sheen of an asset flipped unity trash game but then turns out to be incredible

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

juggalo baby coffin posted:

i was really cautiously optimistic about cultic after the demo because the gameplay just felt 'right' to me and the first episode has lived up to it. its not quite fair right now because it is just one episode so far, but i think in gameplay terms it might be... and i feel slightly ill just typing this... better than Blood?

I hope that Cultic continues to sprinkle in a new weapon and enemy (or two) each episode--similar to how an old FPS game might introduce new things with each episode--and I hope that one of those enemies is some kind of kamikaze drone. It's only right.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
No saves on my playthrough at that point yet, did the flamethrower have upgrades?

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

juggalo baby coffin posted:

It's definitely better than Blood. I mean, I have fondness for Blood's weird jank and super punishing hitscan enemies, but I don't think I could ever argue in good faith that Cultic isn't a stronger game.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

cultic rules but it's definitely not better than blood

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Is it Bloodier than Blood though?

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
i feel like cultic needs to stew for a bit longer in the collective brain plane, and get some more chapters out. it's better than blood in some ways, it's worse in others, but i think it nailed the #1 most important thing which is to have basic enemies that are both threatening and really fuckin fun to kill.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Cultic is pretty good, sometimes very good, but it isn't perfect. I had a few occasions where enemies got stuck. Also in some levels the dev could have spent some more days on detailing, or in creating unique art assets for them instead of reusing the same shipping container everywhere.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

The Kins posted:

FEAR Files is basically the two FEAR 1 expansion packs bundled together. They weren't made by Monolith, but they're more FEAR so...

Also worth noting that the console versions of FEAR 1 have some bonus content that was never ported back to PC... and bizarrely, it's different on each platform! PS3 and Xbox 360 each get their own exclusive bonus level where you play as a different character (and as such don't have any bullet time) with an additional weapon therein. I believe the console version also adds an Instant Action mode? I haven't played those versions, admittedly.

FEAR on PS3 and Xbox360 has an instant action mode with time limit (from point A to B in certain time). It's quite decent if you want a randomised setpiece and more FEAR to play.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I've heard of chocolate Doom, but this is ridiculous!!!

Parents beware: Halloween candy found running 1993 MS-DOS game Doom

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

The Kins posted:

This is blowing my mind, I've never heard of this extra content before. Crazy it was never ported back to PC

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

An Actual Princess posted:

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Another thing I find impressive is how interesting its bestiary manages to be when it's 90 percent composed of guy in a robe.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

Milo and POTUS posted:

No saves on my playthrough at that point yet, did the flamethrower have upgrades?

No and it doesn’t need them. Most low tier enemies die in one hit and the tougher ones only need to be doused for a couple seconds before they light up. The Armor and Incinerator enemies are resist to it, though. Harvesters will charge you when they get lit on fire, so watch for that.

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you
Cultic is almost certainly a tighter and more well-balanced game but it doesn't have much personality or levity, which is a major factor in what makes Blood a fave of mine. Along those lines I think the combat encounters in the maps are well thought out in a way that Blood can't touch, but they're also not as packed with novel/interesting/silly bits that make Build maps what they are.

All that said I think it's worth acknowledging that Jason probably isn't trying to compete against Blood and just made what he likes and that's cool.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Does Cultic even have a carnival level?

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Quantum of Phallus posted:

This is blowing my mind, I've never heard of this extra content before. Crazy it was never ported back to PC

I only launched FEAR on PS3 like a week ago and found out the extra levels and they're all action packed and filled with guns, it's crazy good.

FEAR (cept FEAR Files that are the expansions) got a FPS boost on Xbox Series S|X to 60 so that's a good system to play that extra stuff on.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I managed to get a FEAR Xbox 360 disk a while back but it was so scratched it wouldn't install to the Series X :(

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
I played more cultic and still think it is mediocre.

Fear 2 took everything that was good about the first game and replaced it with a mid 2000s xbox360 rear end HUD and it’s still not scary.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I think you can buy digital copies of FEAR on Xbox as well.

FEAR 2 is dogshit just Im mad about it dogshit.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Barudak posted:

I think you can buy digital copies of FEAR on Xbox as well.

You can't :(

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

An Actual Princess posted:

Counterpoint: Yes, it is.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Oh hey, there seems to be an update to the Coven demo for Halloween. Anyone know what's new?

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

Oh hey, there seems to be an update to the Coven demo for Halloween. Anyone know what's new?

The Steam Store Page posted:

New areas
Weapon damage/rate of fire tweaks
New weapon select system with the scroll wheel
New spell for the necronomicon - "Gallows"
Sound effects for burning/hanging enemies
Compendium added to the pause menu
Pistol axe melee/magic attack
More stuff I can't remember right now...

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
I played Blood for the first time when that new edition came out and it felt like A Build Engine Game with some interesting ideas and a lot of frustrating bullshit. Cultic feels like it takes the thematic elements of Blood and transfers them to a totally new game (also not without its frustrating bullshit mind you). And despite obviously being part of the retro-shooter family, I like that it doesn't feel like it's specifically trying to capture any particular era or mimic any particular game. It feels like more of an artistic statement "a good FPS doesn't have to have fancy graphics or realistic setpieces" and not "hey remember 1999?"

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Maybe I need to retry the demo for Cultic but I didn't even feel like beating the one level. And I love Blood :shrug:

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Dynamite feels better in Blood still thus Blood better.:v:

I only played Blood for the first time only 2 or 3 years ago (I somehow never even heard of it before then) but I see why it’s so highly regarded. It does have a lot of frustrating stuff I can’t deny though.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Blood has style and panache. It's the FPS equivalent of a Harryhausen stop-motion film.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

SeANMcBAY posted:

I see why it’s so highly regarded. It does have a lot of frustrating stuff I can’t deny though.

This is how I feel about Resident Evil 4. I truly love the game, it's easily in my top 5. I love it entirely, and I play it annually. It's fantastic.

Except for the sliding block puzzle. And the hedge maze. And the garrador in the falling cage. And U3. And Verdugo, and a lot of the island. And....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004