Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

The_Doctor posted:

UK peeps, check your TKMaxx, they’ve got Legacy Laser Prime for £20!

Just SS Scrapper here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

The_Doctor posted:

UK peeps, check your TKMaxx, they’ve got Legacy Laser Prime for £20!

All these years and I had no idea at all they sold anything but clothes.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Oh mate, they’ve been getting surprise toys in for years! Way, way back, people were finding MP-01 in TKMaxxes like 10-15 years ago?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Yeah you've really been missing out. I was getting stuff all the way back to Prime there.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
I had decided not to get it on preorder but I caved when I saw it on the shelf. I didn't have a complete Devastator as a kid and who doesn't love Tonka trucks? This thing is slick.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Y’all are gonna poo poo for Fanstoys Margh, their upcoming Ultra Magnus. Pics will be up on TFW soon.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
Fanstoys is making a MP scaled Ultra Magnus. It has an inner robot.

EDIT: beaten.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Joe Fisto posted:

I had decided not to get it on preorder but I caved when I saw it on the shelf. I didn't have a complete Devastator as a kid and who doesn't love Tonka trucks? This thing is slick.

Did you use the circle offer to get it?

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Arquinsiel posted:

Yeah you've really been missing out. I was getting stuff all the way back to Prime there.

Got some random Animated figures, definitely Wreck-Gar and Grimlok.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I just had a look at the website and saw this knockoff Starscream. Anyone recognise it as something specific?

https://www.tkmaxx.com/uk/en/kids+toys/toys+books/vehicles+action-toys/car+vehicle-toys/transformable-airplane-robot-figure/p/45421988

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
today I learned that TJ Maxx exists in europe but with a K instead of a J because I guess of some european chain with TJ already in the name

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.

Rhyno posted:

Did you use the circle offer to get it?

I assume so. I use Target's card so there's a discount.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Dabir posted:

I just had a look at the website and saw this knockoff Starscream. Anyone recognise it as something specific?

https://www.tkmaxx.com/uk/en/kids+toys/toys+books/vehicles+action-toys/car+vehicle-toys/transformable-airplane-robot-figure/p/45421988
It's a knock-off of Cyber Battalion Starscream, a line originally released in smaller markets that couldn't afford Western price points. From what I've heard there's two versions of the knock-off, one that's a straight knock-off of the original with a more G1 color scheme, and one that actually improves on the figure and adds knees that the original version lacked.

Having said that I've never actually seen proof of the knee-ed version and I think people might just be getting fooled by misleading boxart, so if you pick it up I'd be curious to see if that one actually has knees. I have the kneeless version and it's okay for what it is, but nothing notable now that we have mainline voyager-sized seekers.

Edit: I should mention the original figure has non-functional knee details molded into the legs, so you probably won't be able to tell by looking through the packing bubble.

Knormal fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Oct 23, 2022

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Joe Fisto posted:

I assume so. I use Target's card so there's a discount.

There's a 25% off one toy offer currently, it stacks with the Red card discount.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

Rhyno posted:

There's a 25% off one toy offer currently, it stacks with the Red card discount.

Oooh I may have to contact customer service

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I was gonna burn it on the BB/BG set but it was the same price on Amazon.

I also grabbed the DKR Super an for $17 thanks to another Amazon coupon deal.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

Wrong thread

Joe Fisto fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Oct 23, 2022

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

My parents found Legacy Metroplex in a Goodwill for $99.99. They bought it, but I suspect it’ll be cheaper than that at some point.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
Hell yes, it's finally here (and not broken!)

This thing seriously rules. Better than most of the stuff HasTak has made recently.

A Bad Poster fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Oct 23, 2022

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Can you take a pic of the robot in the daytime like you did the tank?

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

Rhyno posted:

Got 26 bucks back, thanks!

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:

The_Doctor posted:

Can you take a pic of the robot in the daytime like you did the tank?

Very tidy backpack as well. Paint job is very nice, has metal in all the important places, so no worry of breaking. Perhaps too many screws, I can't/don't want to take apart as much of it that it appears I'd have to if I wanted to flip the crotch piece that's upsidedown.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Joe Fisto posted:

Got 26 bucks back, thanks!

Awesome, glad to be useful.

Found the Magic Square MP Prime at the show, so the display is nearly there.

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010

Joe Fisto posted:

I didn't realize before now that that set of toys was supposed to be a set of new Autobot characters and not just Devastator in Tonka coloring.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Tonka wasn’t going to turn heel. A friendly Tonka Devastator is kind of adorable.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

A good poster posted:

I didn't realize before now that that set of toys was supposed to be a set of new Autobot characters and not just Devastator in Tonka coloring.

And they have such wonderful names.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I have been to TK Maxx. I didn't find, regrettably, the knockoff Starscream.

I did find the knockoff Thundercracker though.

And yes, it looked like it through the box and I can confirm, it has knees!

E: There was also this but I didn't go for it.

Yes, the slogan on the left is "Quick to collect your robot." I couldn't begin to speculate. Maybe a typo for 'convert'?

Dabir fucked around with this message at 13:15 on Oct 25, 2022

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Attempting to figure out the "English" on knockoff cards is often a futile endeavor

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Phy posted:

Attempting to figure out the "English" on knockoff cards is often a futile endeavor

SEND THE BOOKS

oh my god, someone did a song about this, all I remember is a voice screeching SEND THE BOOKS and the chorus being "Robo R Car!"

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Phy posted:

I thought we do know what's going on there, there was a big fuss about an art book and a bunch of people on tfw2005 had SEND THE BOOKS in their sigs, so whichever underpaid non English speaker they got to google Transformers phrases figured it must have been significant in the lore or the branding somehow.

I've got the thing home.

The inner packaging was damaged in the box but that's not a huge deal. His knees don't bend very far. Without getting my protractor out to check, you've got maybe 60 degrees of motion. He can sort of hold a cool pose. His ankles tilt all the way forward for his transformation, which would help him out in a cool fighting stance type deal, but they're very loose, so he doesn't really like to stay there. Jet mode looks alright from the top and very hollow from the bottom, but these were upscaled from Legends class, right? I like his grumpy face.

Plastic is solid enough, doesn't feel great to the touch. The guns are unpleasant, feel like they'll snap in half as soon as look at them. Paint is on there well enough too, he had a clear factory label stuck to one of his wings and it didn't take anything with it when I peeled it off.

E: Almost forgot, the packaging consistently has him in a much more accurate Thundercracker paint job, but shows this look on the back as well. Wonder what that's about? Maybe this is Ion Storm after all.

Oh yeah I guess I picked up SS86 Arcee too. She's fine.

Dabir fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Oct 25, 2022

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Dabir posted:

I thought we do know what's going on there, there was a big fuss about an art book and a bunch of people on tfw2005 had SEND THE BOOKS in their sigs, so whichever underpaid non English speaker they got to google Transformers phrases figured it must have been significant in the lore or the branding somehow.

Somehow I managed to not hear about that at all until today! I just thought it was, at best, a really bad mistranslation of a phrase I wasn't aware of.

Weird that the most relevant return for googling "'send the books' transformer" is a tweet from last week

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Phy posted:

Somehow I managed to not hear about that at all until today! I just thought it was, at best, a really bad mistranslation of a phrase I wasn't aware of.

Weird that the most relevant return for googling "'send the books' transformer" is a tweet from last week

Pretty sure that's where I heard about it. That book had a truly cursed production.

E: Tweet in question
https://twitter.com/Gryphman/status/1582023450599694336

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Dabir posted:

Jet mode looks alright from the top and very hollow from the bottom, but these were upscaled from Legends class, right?
Nope, just made as hollow as possible to keep costs down for the emerging markets. But...

Here's the original Hasbro figure, which was Voyager-sized:

And here's a Legends Starscream from a year or so earlier:

It's a separate mold in that all the detailing and parts are different, but it uses more or less the exact same transformation, so I wouldn't be surprised if the Legends figure was the starting point of the design.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

The transformation scheme, that's what it was. It looks like this KO has stolen and upscaled the upper arms from that Legends class, though - it's got the distinctive shoulder shape, ball jointed elbow and slightly-too-low null ray mount. The lower arms must be from a third toy. Maybe original, but I doubt it.

E: or it's just a similarly shaped upper arm. The details don't line up

Dabir fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Oct 25, 2022

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Oh yeah, the knock-off replaced the weird clip-on elbows of the original figure with a balljoint. That's ultimately an improvement because those original elbows sucked, but it does make it look a lot more like an upsized legend.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Well, it's not bad for the cost and what it is. i was thinking I'd send it to Thew, but I might just keep it.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

I am saddened to learn that there was a legends waspinator at some point and I missed it

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Dabir posted:

Pretty sure that's where I heard about it. That book had a truly cursed production.

E: Tweet in question
https://twitter.com/Gryphman/status/1582023450599694336

Man, the transformers fandom is wild.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠

flavor.flv posted:

I am saddened to learn that there was a legends waspinator at some point and I missed it

It's from the T30 Legends class. That Waspinator is also a weaponizer, so it's technically a triple changer and very small, about half to 1/3rd the scale of Starscream. They were only like $10 at the time so it should still be semi-cheap.

the real sad thing is that a year later they were re-releasing them either unchanged or repainted without the little guys, so if you wanted a set of Seekers you'd get Starscream with Waspinator then Skuwarp and Thundercracker solo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

ᴴᵒˡᶦᵈᵃʸˢ ᵃʳᵉ ᶜᵒᵐᶦⁿᵍ