Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
got all my poo poo done today, celebrating with a late afternoon americano and cookie from the local patiserre

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

what’s this “2 pours” business? i top my pour up constantly to keep the grounds saturated until the scale reads the correct number. am i wasting a whole bunch of effort????

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

i need 2 pours
i need 2 pours
got to get to tampin in my brew force ones

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
i have 2 pours

nicest coffee you will ever meet

and

twisted loving psychopath

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

anyway i had some beans today

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

jesus WEP posted:

what’s this “2 pours” business? i top my pour up constantly to keep the grounds saturated until the scale reads the correct number. am i wasting a whole bunch of effort????

don't you get massive craters with that?

afaik the idea is to trickle at a rate near what it's coming out of the cone, that's how i've been doing it. it's really hard with a regular kettle though, i gotta get a gooseneck.

but yeah, you do about 50-60% of the final pour, let things sit a minute, then finish it off with another round. so a total of 3 pour ops including the initial bloom

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

new beans came in, good drippin today goons :coffeepal:

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

jesus WEP posted:

The idea with multiple pours is that you're agitating the coffee bed which will result in different amounts of extraction. The other thing is that the temperature of the slurry with 1 pour vs multiple pours will also be different which will result in varying amounts of extractions.

I think a single pour can also help you out if your grinder produces a lot of fines? Since the single pour helps to limit the amount of fines that settle and clog up your brew. That's just my guess though, there is a lot of junk bro type science in coffee making. I think it's best to figure out what works for you and just go with that.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

on my second cup of the morning. might brew a third expressly to make an afternoon yuenyang, but we'll see!

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.
sippin on some coffee. hell, i might have another

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Jonny 290 posted:

don't you get massive craters with that?

afaik the idea is to trickle at a rate near what it's coming out of the cone, that's how i've been doing it. it's really hard with a regular kettle though, i gotta get a gooseneck.

but yeah, you do about 50-60% of the final pour, let things sit a minute, then finish it off with another round. so a total of 3 pour ops including the initial bloom
yeah i have a gooseneck, that’s what i meant by constant pour, i trickle it over until it’s the right weight

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
drinking the lukewarm leftover coffee from making coffee earlier

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

got a pretty rough situation to report. ground some beans while rushing out the door and wrapped it in a coffee filter. took a big paper clip and made one end a hook and the other wrapped around the filter and hung it in a mug of microwaved water

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

Cat Face Joe posted:

got a pretty rough situation to report. ground some beans while rushing out the door and wrapped it in a coffee filter. took a big paper clip and made one end a hook and the other wrapped around the filter and hung it in a mug of microwaved water

erowid_coffee_tek.txt

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Cat Face Joe posted:

sounds better than submitting yourself to the ‘bucks

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i was fascinated to discover that pike place beans taste exactly the same at home with a careful brew that they do at sbux

those beans are DOA. do not attempt cpr

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

ThePopeOfFun posted:

erowid_coffee_tek.txt

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Jonny 290 posted:

i was fascinated to discover that pike place beans taste exactly the same at home with a careful brew that they do at sbux

those beans are DOA. do not attempt cpr

thank you for your research at great personal risk.

almost hosed up today, i was about to dump the water into the clever dripper when i noticed i hadn't put the beans in yet.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

ThePopeOfFun posted:

erowid_coffee_tek.txt

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Cat Face Joe posted:

I do this if I'm camping high up in the mountains, you can get sort of empty tea bag things, I fill em up with grounds and stick them in hot water in the jetboil. not perfect but does the job

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

knox_harrington posted:

I do this if I'm camping high up in the mountains, you can get sort of empty tea bag things, I fill em up with grounds and stick them in hot water in the jetboil. not perfect but does the job

yeah, ive suggested exactly that in this thread a few times but no paperclip was involved

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Get some of these

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

They sell single serve ones w coffee as well as empty ones you put your own beans in. Emergency pourover

lousy hat
Jul 17, 2004

bone appetit
Clapping Larry

Midjack posted:

thank you for your research at great personal risk.

almost hosed up today, i was about to dump the water into the clever dripper when i noticed i hadn't put the beans in yet.

I try to set up some of my coffee stuff before I go to bed so I have less to do while cats are yelling at me for breakfast. I’ll make sure the drip machine has water, grind the coffee and put it in an airtight thing on the counter, and sometimes I’ll even have dried and reassembled the basket/carafe after washing them.

sometime in the last couple weeks I absolutely woke up, went to the kitchen, pushed the brew button and came back five minutes later to a pot of piping hot water.

HamAdams
Jun 29, 2018

yospos
can’t remember if i’ve had 1 cup or 2 so far this morning but i want another

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

surprisingly, i'm on my first still. but it's time to finish it and have a second and coast the rest of the day to punching out

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

drank 2

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

got a new Mr. Coffee today and had 2 cups. god bless

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

making one right now after i saw my inbox this morning

the bean will set me free

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
drinkin that bean water

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
page two? gently caress that

8pm beans. I gotta set up another stereo and tv tonight and i'm a little groggy. lets goooo

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Love a good night coffee

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

having a morning coffee after doing a sleep

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

had a lot of coffee at the office and now I’m vibrating :sludgepal:

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

One way, dead end... Street signs are such fitting metaphors for the human condition.

forgot to make any coffee this morning, so i have a cup of black from A&W.

it is searingly hot.

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

One way, dead end... Street signs are such fitting metaphors for the human condition.

i feel obligated to point out that this is Canadian A&W, just in case yankee A&W's coffee is atrociously bad or something

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

american a&w is atrociously bad so id guess the coffee is too

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

I didn't know A&W even served coffee? Here it's like burgers, hot dogs & soda (root beer, of course).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

even though it was hqed here for a number of years, every a&w in se michigan sucks rear end. every franchise just does whatever they want, mostly to their own detriment. in canada its a real restaurant with real food