Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Yeah, naked troopers aren't as great in skirmish because they don't have backfield objectives to do, but they can be run. Naked fleets are the same cost and probably more useful but ofc you might not have them. Could also drop the sniper back down to a strike instead, but they're also not as good on skirmish boards. Binocs on a naked trooper are also not a bad idea- Chewie likes aims, Han is pretty reliable but does often need a reroll, and the commandos again can do well with aims

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

https://twitter.com/TheGr8Aspie/status/1582753044156272640

I think frog and magic hand come on the sprue and soup baby is some kind of store promo.

As for me, frog forever, or maybe the skullforge hoverpram.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Owlbear Camus posted:

I think frog and magic hand come on the sprue and soup baby is some kind of store promo.

This is correct, my store had a thing up about how the first... I think 24 preorders get soup baby

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

That's pretty reasonable if that's what stores are getting in. A lot better than 3 copies of Hoth Luke.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I finally got around to buying Clan Wren like I have wanted for months, and I see you can build these guys certain ways, is there any benefit to going one way or the other? I haven't had the chance to play yet

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I finally got around to buying Clan Wren like I have wanted for months, and I see you can build these guys certain ways, is there any benefit to going one way or the other? I haven't had the chance to play yet

Not that I’m aware of. I almost wanted a second box to have a few alternate options for Boba, since I don’t really like his current model.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

GreenBuckanneer posted:

You've got enough minis to run Clan Wren and a generic Mando unit in the one box, so no reason to not make the recommended models- iirc Tristan and Ursa have alternate weapons if you wanted to make them generic for some reason

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING

Gumdrop Larry posted:

That's pretty reasonable if that's what stores are getting in. A lot better than 3 copies of Hoth Luke.

There's a lot of confusion around it. Apparently they are going to the top X selling stockists who give them away with pre-ordered Mando's for free.

In practice a lot of stores don't know about it, some quite small stores have them, and it is a total crap shoot on how they are being distributed by stores.

I would have thought the better solution would have been to just drop them straight into the Mando boxes rather than to put them into separate packaging and possibly even scatter them through the first production run and make it a surprise drop. Everyone gets a chance and price gougers don't know which boxes to horde.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

I ended up cancelling my paid pre-order through a place that told me they were gonna put the alt sculpts up for seperate sale and going through another one that just hooked me up proper. Soup baby acquired. Now to find the best super chromed out recipe to do beskar.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

I picked up my preorder and got the Grogu box too, so three tiny adorable models to paint up now.

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

Ugleb posted:

There's a lot of confusion around it. Apparently they are going to the top X selling stockists who give them away with pre-ordered Mando's for free.

In practice a lot of stores don't know about it, some quite small stores have them, and it is a total crap shoot on how they are being distributed by stores.

I would have thought the better solution would have been to just drop them straight into the Mando boxes rather than to put them into separate packaging and possibly even scatter them through the first production run and make it a surprise drop. Everyone gets a chance and price gougers don't know which boxes to horde.

Yeah funny enough I was at a casual event this past Saturday and the store owner claimed it was only the top 200 vendors. Seems really odd to go for a bigger supply to those selected stores but keep it exclusionary like that. It's a bummer but I've consoled myself with the fact that Grogu is so comically small that you're barely going to be able to tell what sculpt is being used anyway.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

There have been really good 3d print proxy alternatives for years, too. I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of people run the Skullforge Hoverpram.

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

"It's a non-speaking role"
I played a game last Saturday, I'd been normally just running my scout troopers with the sniper either a standard squad or stirke team, because I didn't think the saboteur seemed all that useful, but this time I did two strike teams with each, and man, the sabotuers are actually pretty great. I deployed right in the middle practically with scout 3 + intel, chucked a mine around the corner when they advanced and ran, detonating it, dealing a good amount of damage to 3 squads. The damage isn't high (Red and Black) ,but being able to hit a cluster of squads add up!.
I wasn't so careful next throw and got too close, and got killed before I could detonate, but that was my tactical error

My sniper scouts nearly completely took out a pike squad (1 left, and my ATST finished off). I came down to our armor and a handful of squads, and I managed in the last round to barely take out the tank with my ATST (3 hits turned to ctits), tying us on victory points, and I won on total point, mainly because my ATST. If I hadn't killed the tank, I would have lost.
Having stims on my sniper is a real life saver, since it gives me one more activation if they get hit before they activate .
1 hit and the strike team becomes pretty useless is the one drawback and it's hard to not get killed even in heavy cover once the enemy gets close, but it's a matter of taking out as much as you can before that happens for the trade.,

I'm thinking I really like running double strike scouts, and I'm going to run them in the future.

A question: I see there's two card packs now, but I can't find a good list of what's in #2. Is one recommended over the other (particularly for a empire player)? Is there much overlap, or should I just get both?

Foolster41 fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Oct 25, 2022

Nash
Aug 1, 2003

Sign my 'Bring Goldberg Back' Petition
Just get both. They are cheap. There are some units I never plan on buying and the pack has some of the cards from them which are useful. Multiple copies as well. The second pack does have the updated cards for Boba Fett, Cad Bane, and Bossk also.

Edit: https://www.reddit.com/r/SWlegion/comments/tzbkek/contents_of_upgrade_pack_ii/

Nash fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Oct 25, 2022

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

ah. thanks! It looks like the wiki hasn't been updated with info on the new packs/cards.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

What do you guys do for card/token storage but for misers like me

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

GreenBuckanneer posted:

What do you guys do for card/token storage but for misers like me

They're in a tupperware bin unless I have them out for an army, in which case the cards are in these pages: https://ultimateguard.com/en/Binders-Albums/Pages/UGD010495/ and the tokens are in a different, smaller tupperware bin

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

I’ve got a small utility box, like you’d use for smaller nuts/bolts. Has 6-8 slots and is double-sided, looks like it’ll work just fine.

Cards go in a 3-ring binder, in plastic 3x3 sheets.

e: something like this.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-12-in-9-Compartment-Waterproof-Storage-Bin-Small-Parts-Organizer-THD2015-03/301959980

Icon Of Sin fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Oct 25, 2022

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

A little more expensive (though $40 I think isn't terrible for how much space it has), but I use a Plano tackle box, which has lots of room for lots of units and tokens I bought a few extra inserts to keep my rebel troops and for MCP so I can swap them out.

This:
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Plano-Guide-Series-Angled-Storage-System-3600-Tackle-Box-Organizer/19487463?athbdg=L1600
I have something like 40 figures, my move and range guides, dice and tokens.
(and I keep cards in a cheap 3 ring binder. Better than having them loose where the edges get chipped or bent.)

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I bought those Ultra card sheets a while back with the 2 large cards per sheet and the rest were mini-american, that would fit in a small binder and now it's like super expensive for all the small card storage :\

either of those ideas might work, IDK how either would fit my ATRT or other larger minis though.

GreenBuckanneer fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Oct 25, 2022

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I'm just assuming that my AT-RT will need custom storage and transport if I ever get around to building it.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Arquinsiel posted:

I'm just assuming that my AT-RT will need custom storage and transport if I ever get around to building it.

I’ll post a pic whenever I get my stuff back (it’s currently at a friend’s house), but I got a deep toolbox for like $30 and a few packs of good magnets. Off memory, it contains:

A Sabre tank
A droid tank
A GAV
2x speeder bikes
2x BARCs
1x ATST
3x ATRTs
4x droidekas (not yet magnetized)
4x STAPs (also not yet magnetized)
2x snowspeeders (also also not yet magnetized)

Used to contain all my tokens in little bins on the top shelf of it, but i downsized that to the little box I mentioned earlier.

e: old pic, minus STAPs and droidekas. From 2 years ago, so I’ve had it a minute :v:

Icon Of Sin fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Oct 26, 2022

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I have nowhere near that much stuff to worry about, so I think my GW skirmish case will do for most of my infantry at least. The STAPs, Droidekas, BARCs, and AT-RT are all the big stuff I am likely to own at the moment, and I've assembled the BARCs so I can pop the sidecar off easily.

The Strangest Finch
Nov 23, 2007

Does anyone have any recommendations or experience with packing systems that can fit easily (or by design) into a backpack or tote? My current system is maybe 5 or 6 models from being completely full and if I'm going to upgrade I feel like I might as well figure out something easier to lug around than what I'm working with currently.

I also had my first full 800 pt game today. With a list titled "and the kitchen sink too" that held up remarkably well despite being constructed of every unit I currently own. Han and Chewie remain absolute monsters and the wookies are great fun (if they don't all explode because your opponent knows exactly what level of threat they are and focuses everything on them)! I lost, but it was reasonably close.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

After a bunch of slow and delayed releases for the Star Wars skirmish tabletop game Legion, AMG announced its new game: the Star Wars skirmish tabletop game Shatterpoint.

https://www.polygon.com/tabletop-games/23449408/star-wars-shatterpoint-skirmish-game-announcement-release-date-price-atomic-mass

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Taking bets on the figures being a different scale?

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Yeah they look like they're MCP scale. The good news is that this was in development before they got the FFG games dumped on them so at least Legion won't be any worse off quality wise

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Apparently MCP is 32mm, and Legion is 35mm to 40mm depending on whether you measure to eyeline or top of head. Seems likely they'll be incompatible so.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

The whiny part of me might feel burnt about it if I had ever jumped into Legion but those Shat sculpts look baller AF.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Shatterpoint minis look great. Facebook posts have confirmed it is not an MCP reskin, and the minis are "35mm and up", and they've said it is not a replacement for Legion or any of the other Star Wars games.

Nash
Aug 1, 2003

Sign my 'Bring Goldberg Back' Petition
AMG doesn’t give me a lot of faith in the future of Legion. Constant errors, packaging issues, and releasing a second Star Wars miniatures game just make me wish it was back with FFG

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008

FrostyPox posted:

it is not a replacement for Legion or any of the other Star Wars games.
That's arguably not up to AMG to decide

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

smug jeebus posted:

That's arguably not up to AMG to decide

I should say they don't plan it to be one. I haven't bought any legion stuff in a long time, I honestly have no idea what AMG is doing with it.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Is it thinking they'll drop Legion, is that why they're worried (reddit)?

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
Well, Armada got afaik a single new card pack since being picked up by AMG, and the stated reason for that was that they didn't have enough staff to support it, which does make one wonder how they're squeezing this new one in. If it is really close to CP, I geuss that could help, maybe? There is also the question of how much deeper the IP well for SW goes with Legion. I haven't watched any of the cartoons so I admit I'm actually in the dark on that one.

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

The whole thing feels really weird and hard to gauge. I guess the ideal concept is Shatterpoint more or less replaces Legion skirmish which was kind of an afterthought anyway, but I don't see that happening. As already mentioned the game was evidently in development prior to the big Asmodee shakeup and this reads like they just barreled ahead with existing plans without really considering what's going to cannibalize or compliment whatever else. I am biased by being heavily invested in Legion but for me Shatterpoint hits a homogenous midpoint between Crisis Protocol and Star Wars prequel/cartoon stuff that I find almost indescribably bland and uninteresting. Trying to look at it from outside that bias I still think it's a legit question to ask what demographic is really going to are about this? There's always the built in "buy anything that says Star Wars on the box" group, but most Legion and M:CP players are going to be content where they're at. Again, I'm definitely projecting my own biases but I'd be less concerned about Legion as opposed to AMG deliberately getting in over their heads. They obviously didn't have the capacity to give full attention to all three Star Wars games dumped on them by Asmodee in conjunction with Crisis Protocol, so I don't know how they can claim they're still going to support everything plus Shatterpoint with a straight face.

Legion has been in a nice healthy spot for a pretty long time now, and pleasantly enough has been slowly and steadily been reestablishing a good playerbase in my area following the general kneecapping tabletop games dealt with over the last couple years. I'm not a fan of Asmodee or AMG for different specific reasons at this point, but I don't wish any poor performance on Shatterpoint, I just don't want a really solid game like Legion to languish under poor leadership and instability.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

smug jeebus posted:

Well, Armada got afaik a single new card pack since being picked up by AMG, and the stated reason for that was that they didn't have enough staff to support it, which does make one wonder how they're squeezing this new one in. If it is really close to CP, I geuss that could help, maybe? There is also the question of how much deeper the IP well for SW goes with Legion. I haven't watched any of the cartoons so I admit I'm actually in the dark on that one.

There’s always something new to release, even if it were only on-screen for a few frames in one of the cartoons or shows now (they’re not to this point, to be clear). Also, if X-Wing is any indication they can also just reach into the old EU for characters.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007

smug jeebus posted:

There is also the question of how much deeper the IP well for SW goes with Legion. I haven't watched any of the cartoons so I admit I'm actually in the dark on that one.
I think legion appropriate units are appearing in new live-action canon content faster than AMG is able to produce them, I don't think that is an issue at all. The Clone Wars baglog from the animated series is extensive and we haven't even seen movie Canon stuff like geonosians, jango Fett, mace windu etc.

Edit: my read on things from others, is that MCP is a fun game, but not suited to competitive play (or at least not liked by competitive players) due to a range of factors, and is unlikely to undermine the competitive legion scene at all. It's most likely to be the side hustle for many players who came into the hobby for the first time with Legion. Sure duelling with a roster of Star Wars characters is cool, but doubt people leave legion for it. Sometimes you might feel like replaying the throne room scene from RotJ, and Shatterpoint is good for that, but other times you want to stomp around with an ATST or send Vader down the Rogue One corridor, at that's Legion, baby

hoiyes fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Nov 10, 2022

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

My read on it is that AMG pitched Asmodee on Star Wars Crisis Protocol as a completely different game from Legion that was in their own specialty, then Asmodee dumped all the FFG games on them for corporate reasons and they're struggling to keep up with that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Nash posted:

AMG doesn’t give me a lot of faith in the future of Legion. Constant errors, packaging issues, and releasing a second Star Wars miniatures game just make me wish it was back with FFG
To be fair, Legion was itself a second Star Wars miniatures game to Imperial Assault, which had a competitive mode that looks to be about as many figures as this on the table.

The thing that I'm *really* curious about is comparing the Shatterpoint Kenobi to the Legion Kenobi and thereby working out if it'd be worth getting Ventress to run as a proxy for Maul, who is a smidge (presumed) dead by the time the Seperatist army actually fights anything else you can buy.